Author Topic: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.  (Read 73251 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NHL (2020-2021) v. Draft, sign, & trade.
« Reply #1085 on: May 31, 2021, 07:43:05 PM »
Crazy.  The Leafs stars will take the heat for this, but stars get shut down in the playoffs sometimes, and the teams that advance are the ones whose 3rd and 4th lines step up and score key goals.  No one stepped up for Toronto these last three games.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1086 on: May 31, 2021, 07:46:28 PM »
As soon as I heard Joe Thornton told the team to just enjoy this, I thought they'd be toast. I'm sure Joe wants to win and all, but he certainly has never lived and died with it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1087 on: May 31, 2021, 07:47:41 PM »
That's the best part of this, knowing that Thornton was on that team.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1088 on: May 31, 2021, 07:48:11 PM »
Crazy.  The Leafs stars will take the heat for this, but stars get shut down in the playoffs sometimes, and the teams that advance are the ones whose 3rd and 4th lines step up and score key goals.  No one stepped up for Toronto these last three games.

Having guys like Matthews and Tavares is great, but if the success of your team relies entirely on your superstars, you’re not gonna get far in the playoffs (see: Edmonton Oilers).
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1089 on: May 31, 2021, 07:56:53 PM »
This feels appropriate somehow  ;D  https://youtu.be/Q-t8W4X8Obo

To the uninitated this is a history lesson about the Leafs in the form of a rockin' tune by the Tragically Hip

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1090 on: May 31, 2021, 08:59:43 PM »
What an OT. I had no rooting interest there, and I was still a nervous wreck.  :lol :lol

Always like seeing a series go long (unless it is the Blackhawks or Red Wings, in which case let them get swept), so glad the team down a game already won.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1091 on: June 01, 2021, 04:30:07 AM »
I got a lot of raging thoughts in my head, but my airing of grievances will wait a day or so.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1092 on: June 01, 2021, 07:46:14 AM »
I got a lot of raging thoughts in my head, but my airing of grievances will wait a day or so.

That is a very mature way of handling it. I completely disagree with it as I find a good rage post or two to be cathartic  :lol but it's a sign of wisdom and self control.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: June 01, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »

That is a very mature way of handling it. I completely disagree with it as I find a good rage post or two to be cathartic  :lol but it's a sign of wisdom and self control.

Nothing will match your 2014 playoff exit rage post (with the pics of you flipping the bird to each player in the program book).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1094 on: June 01, 2021, 09:25:44 AM »

Nothing will match your 2014 playoff exit rage post (with the pics of you flipping the bird to each player in the program book).

That is, to this day, my favorite post on these entire forums.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: June 01, 2021, 09:27:28 AM »

It's too bad the pics don't still exist (or maybe they do... just not linked properly anymore).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: June 01, 2021, 09:49:08 AM »

It's too bad the pics don't still exist (or maybe they do... just not linked properly anymore).

Yeah....I think those were through photbucket and then they changed to a paid subscription from free.....so my account was deactivated I guess??

The funny part of that was I started setting up that post in like the middle of the second period of that final game because I knew they were getting eliminated. That's easily the most time/effort I've ever put into a post  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: June 01, 2021, 10:18:15 AM »
Awards finalists are coming out now.  Vasilevskiy, Grubauer, and Fleury for the Vezina.  No surprise there.  I'd give it to Grubauer.

My predictions:
Hart - McDavid, Matthews, Rantanen
Norris - Fox, Makar, Hamilton
Adams - Quennville, Brind'Amour, Evason
Calder - Kaprizov, Robertson, Nedeljkovic
Selke - Eriksson Ek, Markus Foligno, O'Reilly

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1098 on: June 01, 2021, 02:54:40 PM »
Awards finalists are coming out now.  Vasilevskiy, Grubauer, and Fleury for the Vezina.  No surprise there.  I'd give it to Grubauer.

My predictions:
Calder - Kaprizov, Robertson, Nedeljkovic

I've not seen enough of any of these guys to have a clue. I couldn't tell you anything about Adam Fox.
WTF is Hamilton doing there??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #1099 on: June 01, 2021, 04:01:51 PM »
The only one of the majors for which finalists have been announced is the Vezina:  Fleury, Grubauer and Vasilevskiy.  Or am I missing something?

Lindsay - 6/2
Calder - 6/3
King Clancy - 6/4
Lady Byng - 6/5
Selke - 6/6
Norris - 6/9
Hart - 6/10
Adams - 6/11
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: June 01, 2021, 04:35:17 PM »
The only one of the majors for which finalists have been announced is the Vezina:  Fleury, Grubauer and Vasilevskiy.  Or am I missing something?

Lindsay - 6/2
Calder - 6/3
King Clancy - 6/4
Lady Byng - 6/5
Selke - 6/6
Norris - 6/9
Hart - 6/10
Adams - 6/11

I meant to imply I was predicting the finalists too.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1101 on: June 01, 2021, 04:44:42 PM »
Interesting stat: The Maple Leafs just passed the Rangers for longest Stanley Cup drought. When the Rangers hit their then record 54 years without a title, it had been 27 years since Toronto’s last championship. This year the Maple Leafs broke the record, and it’s coincidentally been 27 years since the Rangers last won the Cup.

-MirrorMask

Online pg1067

« Reply #1102 on: June 01, 2021, 05:08:58 PM »

Lindsay - 6/2
Calder - 6/3
King Clancy - 6/4
Lady Byng - 6/5
Selke - 6/6
Norris - 6/9
Hart - 6/10
Adams - 6/11

I meant to imply I was predicting the finalists too.

:tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1103 on: June 02, 2021, 05:14:14 PM »
Draft Lottery time!

Jim Nill  :rollin

I would've bet money that Detroit was going to jump up.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1104 on: June 02, 2021, 05:23:59 PM »
And the only significant thing that happened in the draft lottery is that Seattle moves from #3 to #2 and the Sabres gets to pick someone at #1 to rot in Buffalo.  Ducks moved down one spot to #3.  Yay?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1105 on: June 02, 2021, 08:53:31 PM »
Absolutely disgusting hit by Scheifele at the end of the Jets/Habs game.  I am actually getting tired of these playoffs, as it seems like there is a dirty hit like this every other night.  Have players really lost that much respect for their opponents?  Hockey should be better than this.  :tdwn :tdwn

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: June 02, 2021, 11:20:22 PM »
Weak call against Vegas to get the AVs that PP to win the game. That ref should be ashamed of himself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1107 on: June 03, 2021, 05:48:13 AM »
Weak call against Vegas to get the AVs that PP to win the game. That ref should be ashamed of himself.

I didn't see it, but I saw the highlight of the OT goal this morning, saw that it was a PP, and I have to admit that my first thought was, "of course they gave the Avs a PP early in the OT."  :lol :lol This reminds me of the Red Wings of 20 years ago where it seems like the refs are so enchanted by their talent that it's like they could assume any good defense against them must be a penalty.  There is no other explanation for it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: June 03, 2021, 06:43:58 AM »
Absolutely disgusting hit by Scheifele at the end of the Jets/Habs game.  I am actually getting tired of these playoffs, as it seems like there is a dirty hit like this every other night.  Have players really lost that much respect for their opponents?  Hockey should be better than this.  :tdwn :tdwn

Not sure I agree.  20 years ago, no one would've thought twice about this hit.  I think the NHL is *too* soft.  It was certainly a penalty, and 'unsportsmanlike", but I don't think it was dirty (maybe a little cheap), but I can understand wanting to send a message to put the Montreal team on notice that THEY should also be looking over their shoulders a little.    There were at least 2 situations where Montreal 'got away' with an accidental-on-purpose elbow to the head in Round 1.  I think it was a VERY HARD cheap shot, but it was a clean hit (imo).  If he gets a suspension out of it, it's just another step on the path in removing virtually all contact.

I've said it many times before, players these days expect the refs and rules to protect them, rather than protecting themselves.  Evans should've been aware that someone was bearing down on him.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1109 on: June 03, 2021, 06:54:11 AM »

Not sure I agree.  20 years ago, no one would've thought twice about this hit.  I think the NHL is *too* soft.  It was certainly a penalty, and 'unsportsmanlike", but I don't think it was dirty (maybe a little cheap), but I can understand wanting to send a message to put the Montreal team on notice that THEY should also be looking over their shoulders a little.    There were at least 2 situations where Montreal 'got away' with an accidental-on-purpose elbow to the head in Round 1.  I think it was a VERY HARD cheap shot, but it was a clean hit (imo).  If he gets a suspension out of it, it's just another step on the path in removing virtually all contact.

I've said it many times before, players these days expect the refs and rules to protect them, rather than protecting themselves.  Evans should've been aware that someone was bearing down on him.

I agree with Chad.  Especially the bolded.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: June 03, 2021, 06:59:43 AM »
Look, I never want to see anyone injured or stretchered off the ice.  But I'm tired of players not being aware of their surroundings and/or leaving themselves in vulnerable positions (that's not the case here, but lots of other times players put themselves in a bad position) - whether it's a hit within the rules or not, players still need to take care of themselves.

And me saying it was "clean", I mean Scheifele didn't hit Evans' head first, leap at him, lead with the stick or elbow, or anything like that.  It for sure was a massive charge, but that's all I can say about it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: June 03, 2021, 07:33:57 AM »

I agree with Chad.  Especially the bolded.

I agree BUT I also think 'cleaning up' the game has caused some of this as well. These type of hits didn't happen as frequent when you had Tony Twist or Bob Probert sitting on your bench. Sure, 20 years ago these hits happened but you also knew that if you laid this type of hit out you were facing a dozen or so shots to your face from someone's fist. But I do agree that players have to be more aware and in control

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: June 03, 2021, 07:37:26 AM »

I didn't see it, but I saw the highlight of the OT goal this morning, saw that it was a PP, and I have to admit that my first thought was, "of course they gave the Avs a PP early in the OT."  :lol :lol This reminds me of the Red Wings of 20 years ago where it seems like the refs are so enchanted by their talent that it's like they could assume any good defense against them must be a penalty.  There is no other explanation for it.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUK5Ao0JhYo

Weak.....Weak....call AND play by the AVs player. One hand on his stick and it just gets knocked out of his hand on a play that happens probably on every face off. There's no way this should have been called a 'slash' in a 2-2 tied OT Playoff game.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1113 on: June 03, 2021, 07:44:08 AM »
Gary, it reminds me with the face shields.  Now players are not careful with their sticks.  I felt there were less sticks to the face when there was no face shields.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1114 on: June 03, 2021, 09:16:54 AM »

Here you go:

Weak.....Weak....call AND play by the AVs player. One hand on his stick and it just gets knocked out of his hand on a play that happens probably on every face off. There's no way this should have been called a 'slash' in a 2-2 tied OT Playoff game.

Yeah, these calls are tricky.  I agree, that in the first minute of OT, this is a dumbass call.  It's a grey area though - players should be holding on to their sticks a little better, but if these are *never* called as penalties, then players will be swinging their stick like an axe at every opportunity... *trying* to strip a player of his stick.  It's definitely a judgment call for the refs, and this was bad judgment - considering the Avs player only had one had on his stick because his other hand was on the Knights player to shove him out of the way to get to the puck - which is a quasi-hold.  If you're gonna call that a slash, then give the Avs play 2 for holding as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: June 03, 2021, 09:37:37 AM »

Here you go:

Yeah, these calls are tricky.  I agree, that in the first minute of OT, this is a dumbass call.  It's a grey area though - players should be holding on to their sticks a little better, but if these are *never* called as penalties, then players will be swinging their stick like an axe at every opportunity... *trying* to strip a player of his stick.  It's definitely a judgment call for the refs, and this was bad judgment - considering the Avs player only had one had on his stick because his other hand was on the Knights player to shove him out of the way to get to the puck - which is a quasi-hold.  If you're gonna call that a slash, then give the Avs play 2 for holding as well.

Yep. Was it 'technically' a penalty.....sure. But this is OT in the freaking playoffs and as you said there were two 'technical' infractions happening in that play from both teams. Plus, that was the AV's 6th PP in that game. I didn't watch the whole game....maybe the other 5 were balls to bones legit calls. I mean, the AVs are quick and they create penalties but then again they're playing Vegas who is a great team also so they know how to defend.

I'm just sayin'.....the AVs are getting some great timely PP's thus far. Not that the Blues had a chance to beat them but the AVs always seemed to get a PP anytime the Blues had any type of momentum or pressure.

Whatevs'......stress free hockey watching is much more fun

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1116 on: June 03, 2021, 10:04:49 AM »
^^ An interesting observation I read from time to time was that McDavid was so dang good at drawing penalties that people found it really odd that he didn't draw a single penalty in the series against Winnipeg.  Interesting that the Avs are getting favorable calls for borderline "minor" stuff (and making good use of them).

Online pg1067

« Reply #1117 on: June 03, 2021, 10:15:12 AM »

Here you go:

To say nothing of his reaction.  I saw that, and my reaction was, "get your hands out of the air and hold onto your stick, bitch."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: June 03, 2021, 10:19:40 AM »

My predictions:
Calder - Kaprizov, Robertson, Nedeljkovic   :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1119 on: June 03, 2021, 12:32:48 PM »
Wow, that was a bullshit call.

I actually am not in any way enraged at the Scheifele hit. I mean, the guy is about to score. Sure he came a long way, and perhaps the distance dictates it that it's a penalty, but what else was he supposed to do as the guy is about to stuff the puck in the net.