1 (0.1%)
The Shattered Fortress
1 (0.1%)
The Best of Times
2 (0.2%)
The Count of Tuscany
29 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Top 10 Portnoy-era songs, and a bonus question  (Read 5808 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Top 10 Portnoy-era songs, and a bonus question
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 03:59:51 PM »
Light Fuse and Get Away

Even though this song wouldn't make my top 10, and probably not top 20, I am glad to see it.  Nice pick!  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 08:18:43 PM »
Two things I would not have expected: Scarred and Count of Tuscany are doing well. No other major surprises.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2020, 08:58:15 AM »

Have to think carefully about this one before I answer. But aren't you missing a few songs? While I doubt they'd get many votes, shouldn't To Live Forever, Don't Look Past Me, Raw Dog and the FII outtakes be included, too? Maybe even the Majesty demos?

I would have voted for "The Way it Used to Be" and maybe 1-2 of the others if included.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2020, 09:40:44 AM »
Two things I would not have expected: Scarred and Count of Tuscany are doing well. No other major surprises.

Why does Scarred surprise you?  It was a top performer in the DT "league" that was done within the last year.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2020, 11:45:07 AM »
Light Fuse and Get Away
Even though this song wouldn't make my top 10, and probably not top 20, I am glad to see it.  Nice pick!  :tup
Thanks! I figure that I'll be the only one to pick that track, but I am glad to see that some of the other songs from WDaDU are getting a few votes.  :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2020, 12:21:35 PM »
I understand the place it holds in your history with the band, and that's cool.  For me, even though the WDADU songs don't crack my tops, I have grown to really like about 2/3 of the album (even if it did take me awhile, and took more modern versions with JLB singing).  In particular, TKH, LFAGA, and OAMOT stand up well to the rest of their catalog.  Really, the only songs on that album I don't care for at all are Afterlife and TOWHTSTS, and I find TYJ to be the least interesting of their instrumentals (ignoring the abomination known as Hell's Kitchen for purposes of this discussion). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Freeze

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2020, 12:51:07 PM »
In chronological order:

Only A Matter of Time
Metropolis pt. 1
Under A Glass Moon
Learning To Live
Scarred
Space Dye-Vest
A Change of Seasons
Strange Deja-Vu
Finally Free
Octavarium

This list is my favorite of the two. Classic stuff simply put.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2020, 02:19:40 PM »
I understand the place it holds in your history with the band, and that's cool.  For me, even though the WDADU songs don't crack my tops, I have grown to really like about 2/3 of the album (even if it did take me awhile, and took more modern versions with JLB singing).  In particular, TKH, LFAGA, and OAMOT stand up well to the rest of their catalog.  Really, the only songs on that album I don't care for at all are Afterlife and TOWHTSTS, and I find TYJ to be the least interesting of their instrumentals (ignoring the abomination known as Hell's Kitchen for purposes of this discussion).

Hell's Kitchen an "abomination"?  I quite like it, and it obviously has a far different vibe than any other of their instrumentals.

My first exposure to WDADU was the first DT show I saw in November 1992.  They played TYJ, OAMOT and TKH (with the "Another Hand" intro), and AFIL and SS were swapped in on the second and third legs of the I&W tour.  I think I finally tracked down WDADU around the same time I got Live at the Marquee (shortly after its September 1993 release).  I probably also wouldn't have any of the WDADU songs in a top 25, but I like them all to varying degrees (with TOWHTSTS being on the bottom).  It's a solid album and, even with Charlie singing, I likely would have been a fan if I had heard it before PMU.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2020, 03:10:01 PM »
Hell's Kitchen is not an abomination, but it's just a random instrumental section lifted off from a song where it didn't belong... and whose best part, the ending, was written just to have a nice segue into Lines in the Sand.

I don't regret it having heard it live in the Images and Words and Beyond tour but it's nothing to write home about.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2020, 03:21:46 PM »
Hell's Kitchen is not an abomination, but it's just a random instrumental section lifted off from a song where it didn't belong... and whose best part, the ending, was written just to have a nice segue into Lines in the Sand.

I don't regret it having heard it live in the Images and Words and Beyond tour but it's nothing to write home about.
Respectfully disagree.  Fantastic composition.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2020, 08:49:00 PM »
I remember hearing the ending of Hell's Kitchen at the end of the Instrumedley on the Budokan DVD, and thought "That is amazing, what the heck song is that?" I had so rarely listened to FII at that point I completely forgot all about Hell's Kitchen.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline HOF

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2020, 10:31:42 PM »
I accidentally left out Take Away My Pain from my vote. In chronological order, I voted:

1. Another Day
2. Learning to Live
3. 6:00
4. Lifting Shadows off a Dream
5. Scarred
6. Hollow Years
7. Hell’s Kitchen
8. Lines in the Sand
9. Trial of Tears
10. Blind Faith (I’d probably bump this for Take Away My Pain)

The only Mangini era songs I’ve heard enough to say that I like them are The Looking Glass, The Gift of Music, and Our New World. None would rank in my top 10 over all though.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 10:41:36 PM by HOF »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2020, 10:51:06 PM »
Hell's Kitchen is not an abomination

You're right.  But I couldn't think of a strong enough word to describe how bad it is when I wrote that, so I just chose the best word that came to mind.

Offline HOF

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2020, 10:55:37 PM »
I’m amazed to find there are people who dislike Hell’s Kitchen. What a beautiful, majestic instrumental.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2020, 11:07:37 PM »
Hell’s Kitchen is beautiful and harmless... what about it do you dislike?

I’m surprised at the lack of love for Fatal Tragedy... a candidate for my favorite DT song. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2020, 04:46:54 AM »
@ the 2-4 other people who have voted for Wait For Sleep and Lie: where are you? we could be good friends  :angel:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2020, 04:53:28 AM »
I’m surprised at the lack of love for Fatal Tragedy... a candidate for my favorite DT song.

9 votes on such a vast poll with so many great songs as an option doesn't qualify to me as a "lack of love", the competition is tough and still near 10 people found that there aren't, in that long and awesome list, 11 songs better than Fatal Tragedy, it's an average-to-good result for the song I'd say.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline HOF

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2020, 07:04:04 AM »
@ the 2-4 other people who have voted for Wait For Sleep and Lie: where are you? we could be good friends  :angel:

I’ve always loved Wait for Sleep. Lie is cool too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2020, 08:47:46 AM »

Wasn't me, but I have to say that it was CLOSE, and it kinda hurt not including those songs in my list.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2020, 09:30:25 AM »
I remember hearing the ending of Hell's Kitchen at the end of the Instrumedley on the Budokan DVD, and thought "That is amazing, what the heck song is that?" I had so rarely listened to FII at that point I completely forgot all about Hell's Kitchen.

I first heard Hell's Kitchen on Budakon, then heard the while song when I borrowed my friends FII CD and ripped it. It was a good listen but when it came to the ending, I was disappointed there were no Tubular Bells. I was even more disappointed JR didn't keep them for the I&W&B tour. Those Tubular Bells make the ending more majestic.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2020, 09:51:14 AM »

I voted for it, but I didn't really expect it to be among the top songs here.  It's not a "lack of love" as much as it is an abundance of great songs.

I’ve always loved Wait for Sleep. Lie is cool too.

Wait for Sleep is great, but top 10 among MP era songs?

And Lie barely cracks the top 10 songs on Awake.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2020, 10:06:02 AM »
I've almost voted Wait for Sleep, but went with The Ministry of Lost Souls instead.

Lie I don't really care for though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »
Yeah I just figured more people would choose Fatal Tragedy as a Top 10 song.   Lack of Love was maybe the wrong term choice.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2020, 11:44:31 AM »
I think Hell's Kitchen is one of Dream Theater's best instrumentals.  Such a well-crafted piece with soaring melodies that linger in my head for days after listening to the album.  In fact, in my opinion the three final tracks of that album should have been Hell's Kitchen >> Lines in the Sand >> Trial of Tears.   Other than New Millennium and Peruvian Skies those are the only tracks I care for on that album.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »
It's only the lead single of the album!

But I can survive Lie trash talk, it's slightly less heretical than bosk talking trash about Hell's Kitchen, one of my favorite instrumentals of all time.

There's just something I noticed in the fandom, where everyone is really specific about what they appreciate DT for, and everything else is "eh". It's like we go to them to fulfill very specific needs, and short simple songs aren't high on the list of needs of people who are really into DT. But I really like them and I think they have some great ones, Lie and WFS included.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:43:31 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline pg1067

« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2020, 04:39:03 PM »
It's only the lead single of the album!

But I can survive Lie trash talk, it's slightly less heretical than bosk talking trash about Hell's Kitchen, one of my favorite instrumentals of all time.

There's just something I noticed in the fandom, where everyone is really specific about what they appreciate DT for, and everything else is "eh". It's like we go to them to fulfill very specific needs, and short simple songs aren't high on the list of needs of people who are really into DT. But I really like them and I think they have some great ones, Lie and WFS included.

Being the "lead single" doesn't make a song good.  However, I seem to like Lie better than a lot of folks here.  However, it's a good song on an album full of great songs.  I think I put it ahead of Innocence Faced and The Mirror but behind everything else.

I think your second paragraph here is full of truth.  Some songs are universally well-regarded, but just about everything else has folks who love it all the way to folks who don't like it.  For example, I think Repentance is DT's single worst song, but I think it got at least one vote in this poll.  I think one of DT's biggest strengths is whether it's songs like ACOS and 8VM or stuff like Surrounded and Hollow Years, they have, at one point or another, done just about every style of song really well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2020, 05:22:33 PM »
I tend to be all over the place and really like the vast majority of what they do.  I like the really long mega-epics and well as the short songs.  I like the heavy as well as the proggy as well as the ballady stuff.  For my tops on I&W, I probably go in this order:
1.  Metropolis
2.  Learning To Live
3.  Wait for Sleep

I don't even hate HK.  I do find it to be a bit pedestrian compared to their other instrumentals, and it is probably my least favorite (or bottom 2) of album instrumentals (don't get me started on Eve--I actually DO hate that one).  But it's not bad at all.  I just kind of get a kick out of seeing people's heads explode when I don't fawn over it like a lot of people do.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2020, 06:05:19 PM »
1.   Under a Glass Moon
2.   Innocence Faded
3.   New Millennium
4.   Hell's Kitchen
5.   Strange Déjà vu
6.   Fatal Tragedy
7.   Home
8.   The Glass Prison
9.   Blind Faith
10.   The Count of Tuscany

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2020, 09:06:46 PM »

Greetings!

I voted for Wait For Sleep. It's just such a beautiful and intricate composition that both stands strong on its own and works well as a segue into Learning to Live.

My top 10 in chronological order were:

Metropolis Pt. 1
Wait For Sleep
Learning to Live
Voices
Scarred
A Change of Seasons
Home
Finally Free
Blind Faith
Misunderstood

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2020, 10:06:43 PM »
I don't even hate HK.  I do find it to be a bit pedestrian compared to their other instrumentals, and it is probably my least favorite (or bottom 2) of album instrumentals (don't get me started on Eve--I actually DO hate that one).  But it's not bad at all.  I just kind of get a kick out of seeing people's heads explode when I don't fawn over it like a lot of people do.
How do HK and Eve rate in comparison to Raw Dog for you?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2020, 09:07:32 AM »
Chronologically...

Take the Time
Surrounded
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live
Voices
Space Dye Vest
A Change of Seasons
Lines in the Sand
Trial of Tears
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

The Mangini era can't really compete with these songs, though they've written some good, solid material with him in the band.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2020, 03:29:11 PM »
How do HK and Eve rate in comparison to Raw Dog for you?

Hard to say.  When Raw Dog came out, I listened to it a couple of times, and it didn't really click.  I remember liking some of it, and some not really clicking.  I didn't dislike it, but it didn't grab me.  But I don't really have a clear recollection of it.  I would definitely rank it above Eve.  But not sure where I would put it in relation to HK.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2020, 04:41:34 PM »
Raw Dog is awesome, and not deserving of the shit it gets.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »
I would probably listen to Raw Dog more if it had the ending it was supposed to have.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
I have probably not listened to Raw Dog more than twice. Will remedy that now.

Boy, does everyone get a rather... unique... top result when searching for "Raw Dog" on YT?