Author Topic: Does the medium of an album affect perception, aka Why Is Disc 1 > Disc 2?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline The Letter M

So for years and years, when discussing double-disc (typically 2 CD) albums, usually concept albums, a lot of fans will often say that the first disc/half is always better than the second disc/half, but why is that? A lot of folks might say that the artist felt like they were running out of steam or ideas, but I think more often than not, it has to do with the format and medium of the albums, and our perception of these long albums.

I think a lot of folks will say the first disc is better because when listening to said album, they'll typically start at the beginning (as you always do), and because of its length, you might not finish listening to the whole album that time, so you always revisit the first half more often than the second half, which might influence your opinions on the album. The more you listen to the first disc, the more you're likely to like it or absorb it enough to form a more solid opinion, while your lack of listening to the second half might lead you think the music isn't as good.

I think if all music for these long albums could fit on a single piece of media, there wouldn't be these discussions/arguments/debates about whether or not the 1st disc is better than the 2nd disc, because there only delineation between the songs would be specific songs themselves, and so fans would have to really pinpoint their least favorite/disliked songs on a long album, rather than just lumping the 2nd half together because the format of the album allows it.

For the most part, almost all of my music listening has been digital for years now, so listening to 2-disc albums is usually done in a single playlist, so I don't really hear/feel where the album splits unless the concept makes it very clear. Otherwise, these concept albums are given the full-album-feel for me, which allows me to really dig into the whole thing, rather than replaying the first disc over and over because I don't have to change discs to get through the album.

Now, I wonder if folks had the "which side of the album is better?" discussions for when vinyl was at its height in the mid-20th century. Or if the same debates happened with music switched to cassettes (side A vs. side B). As the medium upon which albums have been pressed on has gotten longer over the decades (up to 80 minutes on a standard CD now), albums themselves have gotten longer, and even some double albums in the days of vinyl now fit onto a single CD, like The Who's Tommy. For fans who only know Tommy as a CD and not a double vinyl, there probably wasn't any discussion or thought about "vinyl 1 vs vinyl 2", just the whole album on one CD.

Personally, this is probably one of the few upsides to listening to music digitally - you can get the whole thing in a single playlist without having to worry about changing discs or LPs midway through listening, so the experience can continue uninterrupted, which is good for rock operas/concept albums, especially where songs tend to segue into each other. I can guarantee if DT's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence had been released on a 100-minute CD, there wouldn't be all those discussions about "Disc 1 vs Disc 2", but I guess it's the nature of music fans to create debates wherever they can to fuel discussion or any sort.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

First off, I am one of the people who feels that the second disc of 6° is far better than the first disc.

Second of all, I have put all the tracks from SB’s Snow into a collection on my music player and then hit shuffle. Every time a song pops up from the second half of snow, I still sometimes skip it. There’s just a lot of filler in the second half of the album and there’s no way around it.

That being said, I think there is something to be said for the idea of there being fatigue while trying to get through a very long album. But good artists manage to end strong. Pink Floyd‘s the wall is a pretty good example. Some people tend to dump on the second half but I think it’s a masterpiece from start to finish.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

a lot of fans will often say that the first disc/half is always better than the second disc/half, but why is that?

There's a LOT of squishy words in that sentence:  "a lot of fans will often say that the first disc/half is always better"?

Are you suggesting that some folks will just automatically prefer the first side or first disc solely because it's the first side/disc?  I don't believe that for a second, so maybe I don't understand the premise.

I prefer whichever side or disc is more subjectively pleasing.

On SDOIT:  disc 2, but disc 1 has 2 excellent songs and one really good song (and one meh song and one song that is among DT's worst).

On Strangers in the Night:  sides 2 and 3, but 1 and 4 are also really good.

On Tales from Topographic Oceans:  probably 1 or 4 is my favorite, but I enjoy all 4 sides
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
I'm 56 and old enough to have owned 3 kinds of vinyl: 45RPM, 78RPM and 33RPM and even with the 45's we always talked about the "b-sides" and who had the best ones.  Doobie Brothers and Eric Clapton were some of the best b-sides.  Most of the 78's I had were handed down to me from my grandfather.  A lot of ragtime, old standards, and delta blues.  I never really played with any of those.  When LPs started becoming more popular we'd always talk about which side was better, same with cassettes.  8-tracks were pretty fucking weird and they were only popular for a few years because cassettes came along right after and that was the end of 8-tracks almost overnight.

As far as Spock's Beard's album Snow goes, there are no "filler" tracks on the album.  "filler" is just another word for "songs I don't like"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I think in general your attention span is at its highest at the start of an album but also many artists tend to put a lot of the standouts early (whether it's the hits or the songs they themselves feel are the best). I think also it probably happens frequently that you start a double album but you might end up having to switch off before the end and as a result you just revisit the first half more.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
As far as Spock's Beard's album Snow goes, there are no "filler" tracks on the album.  "filler" is just another word for "songs I don't like"
Then there's definitely a good bit of filler on Snow.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
y'all ever listened to Precambrian by The Ocean

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Personally, this is probably one of the few upsides to listening to music digitally - you can get the whole thing in a single playlist without having to worry about changing discs or LPs midway through listening, so the experience can continue uninterrupted, which is good for rock operas/concept albums, especially where songs tend to segue into each other. I can guarantee if DT's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence had been released on a 100-minute CD, there wouldn't be all those discussions about "Disc 1 vs Disc 2", but I guess it's the nature of music fans to create debates wherever they can to fuel discussion or any sort.

-Marc.

I'm old school, and I still think in terms of album sides.   For a while there, at least in more mainstream rock, there was a pattern:

Side A
First Single
Second Single, or Live Staple
Mid Tempo song (NOT the ballad)
The Epic

Side B
Second Single
Live Staple
Odd Ball Song (or song written by the drummer)
The Ballad

There were variations on this, to be sure. Sometimes "The Ballad" would be the second to last song, or the last song on Side A, and the last song here would be the The Epic, or the odd ball piece (think "Inside" by Van Halen).   But albums had FLOW to them, a rhythm to them. An ARC.   I think there was advantage to breaking things up, to having a breather, to having a moment to consider what you just listened to. 

Some albums are just TOO LONG.   Genesis "We Can't Dance" was one of the first albums where I thought, "Hmm, this is going on rather a long time, innit?" 

Offline DTA

Some albums are just TOO LONG.   Genesis "We Can't Dance" was one of the first albums where I thought, "Hmm, this is going on rather a long time, innit?"

Yeah that album is a chore, especially since the best track is all the way at then end. Remove Never A Time and Tell Me Why and you have a pretty solid album.

Offline HOF

Yeah that album is a chore, especially since the best track is all the way at then end. Remove Never A Time and Tell Me Why and you have a pretty solid album.

Yeah, WCD is the quintessential “we have a full 80 minutes to work with so let’s put everything on the album” album. Except they still left off one of the best songs from those sessions (On the Shoreline).

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Does the medium of an album affect perception, aka Why Is Disc 1 > Disc 2?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »
I think in general your attention span is at its highest at the start of an album but also many artists tend to put a lot of the standouts early (whether it's the hits or the songs they themselves feel are the best).

This. I can think of waaay more albums with a strong first half and a lackluster second half than the other way around.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline darkshade

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2020, 10:34:57 AM »
I think there is something to digesting music in 20-30 minute chunks, as people had to when it came to vinyl before CDs and digital.
Or albums that are under 50 minutes.
I think people's attention is most focused at the beginning of an album, and artists will tend to put their strongest material on the first disc.
Another issue with long double albums on CD is the natural tendency to compare discs to one another.

If The Flower Kings' "Flower Power" album was just the first disc, I would call it the band's best album, no question. The 2nd disc brings it down, even with the strong material on the 2nd disc. It's just too much music for one album. Same issue I had with DT's The Astonishing, it's just too long, regardless of how I feel about the music contained within.

Strange thing is, at a 3 hour concert, I can be 100% engaged from beginning to end, but I think that's different because, besides being there, you're hearing all these songs from different albums so it's a totally different experience, plus I tend to not listen to a whole lot of music in the hours leading up to a concert, to keep my ears fresh.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 10:55:34 AM »

I have, and while I agree that the second disc is better (not only because it's three times as long as Disc 1), I also feel like in The Ocean's complete discography this is one of their worst, partly due to the production, but also the song-writing is really lacking compared to their later albums.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 10:57:59 AM »
This thread got me to thinking more about how going digital and utilizing shuffle completely changed my approach to music, and in some ways, enhanced it. 

I was thinking specifically of the 2 disc Subterrenea by IQ.   When I first bought it, it was an awful lot of music to digest in a single sitting.  But I have put all the IQ studio albums on my music player (along with several dozen other albums) and then just hit shuffle while I'm working.  And I've found that by breaking it down and being able to listen to a single song on its own can sometimes raise your appreciation for it.   By the time you get through a 100 minute album, you can definitely get a bit of fatigue.   That's why it was hard to get into The Narrow Margin at first, because it's a 20 minute epic at the end of a 100 minute epic.    But hearing it out of context as its own song really helped in digesting the song. 

I still think Subterrenea is a bit of a chore to get through on its own.    It's a mix of really amazing pieces with a handful of "this is just OK, but I can see how it bridges the great parts to each other."   I wouldn't change it at all.     But it definitely benefited from hearing small portions separately as opposed to all at once.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 11:08:05 AM »
I've heard that, generally speaking, our brains are wired to recall more easily information that has appeared either at the beginning or at the end of a group (in this case, specific songs). This might play a part, but i think it's also the deliberate decisions by the artist to put the most immediately grabbing songs towards the front of the album.

I've read a lot of discussions on older albums where people will compare the different sides of an LP, most often saying side A is better. I think it's just innate for us to compartmentalize the stuff we hear into more manageable groups, like the sides of an LP or the separate discs of a double album. And then naturally we end up comparing these groups with one another.

As far as really long double albums go, listener fatigue could also be the culprit. Even if the music is consistently good, if you're trying to listen to a 2 hour behemoth of a record in one sitting, you'll probably get worn out at some point. There's something to be said about brevity.

Offline HOF

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 11:23:39 AM »
The best two-disc albums (IMO) tend to still be relatively short. Moon Safari’s Blomljud is about 50 minutes per disc. It’s an easy one sitting listen. Marbles is only 98 minutes total. That said, English Electric Full Power is almost 140 minutes, so if the music is all great it doesn’t really matter.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2020, 11:40:42 AM »
Definitely lots of great points being made in here! The idea of listening fatigue is definitely real, though I guess, for me, it doesn't really happen that often. If I've got the time, I'll spin a whole album all the way through, either actively listening, or passively in the background, be it a 40-50 minute album, or a huge 80-140 minute double. I just love the music I love so much, it doesn't really tire me out to listen to it all day if I could.

I guess what I'm more wondering is if these long double albums were just released and labelled as a single album, without the constraints of physical media, would we really bother to compartmentalize the album to discuss what we like and don't like, i.e. "the 2nd half isn't as strong as the first half"? Or does being on physical media influence our ability to form opinions on the music?

I will agree, though, that bands tend to front-load their albums with the "better" material, something that's been a long-held practice since the early days of vinyl LPs, but I'm sure a lot of bands these days will sprinkle their best material throughout the album, or whatever way best serves the flow of the album. In prog rock, we often get the epic closing track, so I think the idea that the better material always goes up front isn't always true.

Either way, I think if all music were free of physical media's limitations, we'd have to digest the albums more carefully to form more specific opinions on the songs and music, rather than just saying "the second half/disc isn't as good as the first".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 11:50:35 AM »
Some two-disc albums that (IMO) feature the strongest song(s) on the second disc:

Blomljud (Yasgur’s Farm and Other Half of the Sky)

Stardust we Are (The Merrygoround, Different People, Kingdom of Lies, title track)

English Electric Full Power (arguable but East Coast Racer, The Permanent Way)

Snow (The whole Reflections-Carry-Looking for Answers run)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »

I have, and while I agree that the second disc is better (not only because it's three times as long as Disc 1), I also feel like in The Ocean's complete discography this is one of their worst, partly due to the production, but also the song-writing is really lacking compared to their later albums.

BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 12:28:23 PM »
Some two-disc albums that (IMO) feature the strongest song(s) on the second disc:

Blomljud (Yasgur’s Farm and Other Half of the Sky)

Stardust we Are (The Merrygoround, Different People, Kingdom of Lies, title track)

English Electric Full Power (arguable but East Coast Racer, The Permanent Way)

Snow (The whole Reflections-Carry-Looking for Answers run)

SWA is a great pick, that epic is what really hooked me into TFK when I first discovered them (after Transatlantic). And EEFP is just an amazing work front-to-back, but the last few tracks are definitely a strong run (I'd say Keeper Of Abbeys to the end). And I *love* Snow, so I'm a little biased, but that run is pretty good, too, with Carie being a much needed break from the bombast of the rest of the album, it's quite the breather. All Is Vanity is really amazing too, taking that piano solo from Love Beyond Words and amping it up into a synth solo over the rest of the band. And sure, the last two songs on Snow are technically reprises from the end of the first disc, but they're played so powerfully that I cannot complain! It's Neal doing what Neal does best!

-Marc.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 06:35:50 AM »
Led Zep's Physical Graffiti was the first album that popped in my head reading the thread title.

Side one:
1. "Custard Pie"
2. "The Rover"
3. "In My Time of Dying"

Side two
1. "Houses of the Holy"
2. "Trampled Under Foot"
3. "Kashmir"

Side three
1. "In the Light"
2. "Bron-Yr-Aur"
3.  "Down by the Seaside”
4. "Ten Years Gone”

Side four
1. "Night Flight"
2. "The Wanton Song"
3. "Boogie with Stu"
4. "Black Country Woman"
5. "Sick Again"

Depending on how you consume it, it fits the disc 1>Disc 2 in the digital medium (at least for me), there are great songs on the second disc but the first is perfect.

Now I was around in the vinyl days, and side one and side two are equally great, I have a hard time now deciding if I prefer one over the other. Then again, in those days, I would transfer my albums onto blank 90 minute TDK cassettes, so sides one and two of the vinyl would be on "side A" of the cassette, and sides 3 and 4 would be on "side B". Which goes back to the digital setup and preferring side A (disc 1) over side B (disc 2).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 06:43:58 AM »
So for years and years, when discussing double-disc (typically 2 CD) albums, usually concept albums, a lot of fans will often say that the first disc/half is always better than the second disc/half, but why is that? A lot of folks might say that the artist felt like they were running out of steam or ideas, but I think more often than not, it has to do with the format and medium of the albums, and our perception of these long albums.

I'm thinking it has more to do with storytelling in general. The build up in the plot isn't always supported by the outcome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 06:57:06 AM »
First off, I am one of the people who feels that the second disc of 6° is far better than the first disc.

Wait, you mean that isn't the overall consensus?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 07:44:45 AM »

Wait, you mean that isn't the overall consensus?

it is for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 08:34:29 AM »
Led Zep's Physical Graffiti was the first album that popped in my head reading the thread title.

Side one:
1. "Custard Pie"
2. "The Rover"
3. "In My Time of Dying"

Side two
1. "Houses of the Holy"
2. "Trampled Under Foot"
3. "Kashmir"

Side three
1. "In the Light"
2. "Bron-Yr-Aur"
3.  "Down by the Seaside”
4. "Ten Years Gone”

Side four
1. "Night Flight"
2. "The Wanton Song"
3. "Boogie with Stu"
4. "Black Country Woman"
5. "Sick Again"

Depending on how you consume it, it fits the disc 1>Disc 2 in the digital medium (at least for me), there are great songs on the second disc but the first is perfect.

Now I was around in the vinyl days, and side one and side two are equally great, I have a hard time now deciding if I prefer one over the other. Then again, in those days, I would transfer my albums onto blank 90 minute TDK cassettes, so sides one and two of the vinyl would be on "side A" of the cassette, and sides 3 and 4 would be on "side B". Which goes back to the digital setup and preferring side A (disc 1) over side B (disc 2).

I was going to post this; I think Side B (Disk 2) SMOKES Side A.  I know Side A has Kashmir (and, for me, The Rover), but for me, Side B is strong.   Side 3 (of the vinyl) is perfect to me.   

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 09:42:37 PM »
I think a big part of it is that albums are generally paced with their most accessible/hard-hitting songs at the beginning (to make it easier to pick up & listen to, & so that the opening tracks get you excited to hear the rest of the album) while the more elaborate or experimental songs are placed later (so that they feel like they're building up to a final climax with the last song intended to be the payoff).

Obviously that's not every album, but I think when you have 30 or so songs for an album, people are more inclined to put their strongest foot first, & towards the end, leave the stuff that would take more time to appreciate. Ideally this would create enough buildup to end with a satisfying climax, but it's a balancing act between too much & too little tension. The former bores people & the latter makes it more difficult to get immersed. Double albums are more difficult to fill that time in a way that has an engaging flow, so most double albums will have a better-received first half than second. The same applies to regular albums too, but it's harder to hold people's attention for a longer period of time.

For example, Metallica's Reload (although not a double album) has many heavy & emotional songs towards the second half (Carpe Diem Baby, Where The Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric), but in between them are several songs that are more hard-hitting (Bad Seed, Prince Charming, Attitude) which I think breaks up the flow & makes the album feel more confused. Because of the context, the latter group of songs feel like they should be in that build-up phase too, which makes the album's build-up phase feel like it stretches for 6 tracks instead of 3, which does make it feel bloated when it really didn't need to.

The opposite problem is when there actually are that many songs in the build-up phase, all placed one after the other, & it goes on for so long that you become desensitized to the feeling of slow-building tension (making it feel less like tension & more like empty space).

Dream Theater's The Astonishing is an example of this, where the tension from Faythe's near-death experience stretches for far longer than any other even in the plot while offering some of the more boring songs on the album to fill that time. I don't think it fills that tension as well as, say, Moment Of Betrayal before The Path That Divides. Losing Faythe/Whispers On The Wind don't do a great job at creating that tension before Hymn Of A Thousand Voices, which is only exacerbated by the event stretching for so long.

TL;DR Typically-paced albums flow better when the tension in the second half is carefully crafted, & it's harder to maintain the right amount of tension in an engaging way when there's more room for people to get bored.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 10:29:54 PM »

Since I Lost You would be my first choice to remove. Way Of The World would set up the closer SO WELL, but then Since I Lost You is like "oh wait, this exists too :-\" & completely kills the excitement.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 01:01:44 AM »
I think a big part of it is that albums are generally paced with their most accessible/hard-hitting songs at the beginning (to make it easier to pick up & listen to, & so that the opening tracks get you excited to hear the rest of the album) while the more elaborate or experimental songs are placed later (so that they feel like they're building up to a final climax with the last song intended to be the payoff).

[and the rest]

What she said, basically.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2020, 02:17:40 AM »
Creators don't have enough good stuff in them to fill it and consumers don't have an attention span that long, as a general rule.

For me, double albums are too long. Often, and this goes for books too, I just feel that creators need to just fucking edit better. :lol My heart sinks when I hear the words "double album". Or "79 minutes of new music".

There is almost always no way the content is going to justify the length. 2 hours? Really? You've really got something to say that actually needs 2 hours? Doubt it. TA was a perfect example of extended, tiresome content, imo. There's some of my favourite music in Snow but I never listen to all of it. Maiden's TBOS feels unfinished and like editing just never crossed anyone's mind.

Exceptions are rare. 6DOIT is the sound of a band on fire, with awesome music pouring out of them. Physical Graffiti is a collection of new stuff and leftovers and really shouldn't work but is a perfect example of what Zep was about. I can't think of any others I like.

Long single albums are usually too much as well. An hour is long enough, people.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2020, 07:42:21 AM »
I'd agree that I really can't think of many double albums where their length feels warranted. A couple that come to mind are Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven and Have A Nice Life's Deathconsciousness, but those are both in the 80-90 minute range so they're just barely past the threshold of needing two discs. I suppose 6DOIT also doesn't feel like it has much "filler", though I'm not really a fan of the second disc as a whole.

Offline HOF

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »
I’ve already named several double albums that I feel justify their length.

One that doesn’t is The Smashing Pumpkins’ Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. That could have been a really great single disc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2020, 07:58:53 AM »
The Human Equation by Ayreon works amazingly, in my opinion, unlike a couple of their other albums.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2020, 08:26:16 AM »
I think others have already hit the nail in the head here, people's attention span isn't that long and record companies know this and stack the singles in the first half of an album so on those double discs, generally, people will enjoy the first disc more because that's what you end up listening to the most. Of course the bands who are really good, can keep the disc 2 entertaining but it's more than just writing good music, it's placement and understanding the audience.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2020, 09:06:42 AM »
I think others have already hit the nail in the head here, people's attention span isn't that long and record companies know this and stack the singles in the first half of an album

I've always found this very annoying, especially in commercial (-ish) albums. Look at Bon Jovi's albums - theirs is not a tracklist, it's literally "the singles and then the fillers" in that order. Dry County in the middle of Keep the Faith and not as an epic closer? the hell!

And there are so many cases - Poison first track on Trash by Alice Cooper, the record company wanting Judas Priest to open British Steel with Breaking the Law and not the intended opener Rapid Fire, etc....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »
KISS' The Elder and Queensryche's The Warning both suffer in their original versions from the record company wanting to "feature" the singles early, ruining the flow of those albums. Played in the intended order, both are far better.