Author Topic: Albums that have no business being good.... but are.  (Read 4728 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Albums that have no business being good.... but are.
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2020, 02:14:26 PM »
3.  Aerosmith - Night In The Ruts (Following a commercial bomb, deep in debt, and with one guitar player with his head in a pile of white powder (with a disenfranchised wife whispering in his ear) another guitar player with one foot out the door, a rhythm section bathed in a cloud of smoke, and a lead singer with a god complex and a needle in his arm and you do NOT have a recipe for a strong record.  Yet, the band delivered, and NITR is solid with only the cover of "Reefer Headed Woman" to drag it down.)

Good call here. The band was pretty down and out. This is easily my favorite Aerosmith album, and I love that whole era.
In fact NITR-Rock In A Hard Place-Done With Mirrors is my favorite Aerosmith 3 album run.

Huh; that's interesting.  I LOVE NITR, I LOVE Done With Mirrors, but Rock... kind of goes both ways for me.   Sometimes I'll listen to it and I love it, sometimes I'm wistful for what could have been.   The Yang that is Joe Perry would have been the cherry on the sundae.  I think the creative tension is the fuel of Aerosmith. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2020, 02:21:10 PM »
Joe Perry is overrated as hell.

Although I do rank I've Got The Rock And Rolls Again very high.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2020, 02:21:47 PM »
Casualties Of Cool is great, though I wasn't exactly shocked at its quality given the prior existence of Ki and Ghost.
ghost is good and ki is............
casualties way eclipses either of them though & the fact that it also eclipses some really excellent prog metal albums is what surprises me even more

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2020, 02:23:31 PM »

1. Coverdale - Page (a clearly desperate Page, sending a message to Plant, who called Coverdale "David Coverversion" more than once, and yet the record is sharp, the songs are solid, the production is crisp, and the album holds up to this day.   Plant even sang a CP song - Shake My Tree - live during the "Walking Into Clarksdale" tour)

Did people really have low expectations of this?

A Different Kind Of Truth definitely applies though. That was actually really damn good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
For me, that album would be Come Taste the Band by Deep Purple. With Ritchie Blackmore gone, I really wasn’t expecting much, but this album rocks. Prolly a top 5 DP album in my book and certainly better than its predecessor album, Stormbringer.

The other album that surprised me was Drama by Yes, which seems a popular choice in this thread.

A distant third would be ‘A‘ by Jethro Tull, the first album after Ian Anderson fired 80% of the band.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2020, 02:29:15 PM »

1. Coverdale - Page (a clearly desperate Page, sending a message to Plant, who called Coverdale "David Coverversion" more than once, and yet the record is sharp, the songs are solid, the production is crisp, and the album holds up to this day.   Plant even sang a CP song - Shake My Tree - live during the "Walking Into Clarksdale" tour)

Did people really have low expectations of this?

Plant did.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2020, 02:30:33 PM »
For me, that album would be Come Taste the Band by Deep Purple. With Ritchie Blackmore gone, I really wasn’t expecting much, but this album rocks. Prolly a top 5 DP album in my book and certainly better than its predecessor album, Stormbringer.

That's a good album, and definitely better than Stormbringer.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2020, 02:38:22 PM »
Casualties Of Cool is great, though I wasn't exactly shocked at its quality given the prior existence of Ki and Ghost.
casualties way eclipses either of them though & the fact that it also eclipses some really excellent prog metal albums is what surprises me even more

Now that's an abysmal take. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2020, 03:01:01 PM »
Can’t think of anything right now but not sure why Coverdale/Page has no business being good when they are two of the biggest rockstars of all time.  I only heard it once as it happens and wasn’t keen on it but I was certainly expecting it to be decent.

I suppose BabyMetal would be one for me.  Something which sounded terrible on paper but I enjoyed when I heard it. The first two albums anyway, didn’t like their last one.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2020, 03:15:13 PM »
You know what? Queen's A Kind Of Magic. The unofficial soundtrack of Highlander, which has to be one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. Half of these songs even lyrically reference the freaking movie. For fuck's sake, Brian May wrote Who Wants To Live Forever, one of my favorite songs of all time, after they showed him the first cut of the movie's two-bit romantic subplot.

And it's full of hits.

I love watching the movie because a Queen song plays every ten minutes, but Jesus Christ, how did they give those songs to that movie, I will never understand.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline HOF

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2020, 03:47:26 PM »
You know what? Queen's A Kind Of Magic. The unofficial soundtrack of Highlander, which has to be one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. Half of these songs even lyrically reference the freaking movie. For fuck's sake, Brian May wrote Who Wants To Live Forever, one of my favorite songs of all time, after they showed him the first cut of the movie's two-bit romantic subplot.

And it's full of hits.

I love watching the movie because a Queen song plays every ten minutes, but Jesus Christ, how did they give those songs to that movie, I will never understand.

I read somewhere that Marillion were originally offered to do this soundtrack, but now I better look that up to make sure I have my facts straight.

Edit: here is the Steve Rothery interview where he confirmed that the band’s management turned this down:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/steve-rothery-people-still-think-marillion-are-a-scottish-heavy-metal-band

You mentioned your love of soundtrack music growing up. Is it true Marillion were offered the soundtrack to Highlander? You turned it down and Queen got the gig instead?

Yes, apparently, that’s what I was told. It was a management decision not to do it. We were touring the world at the time on the success of Misplaced Childhood. So there was no time. Fish got offered an acting role as well around then. It was one of those great ‘What if’s.

I have to imagine given how little anyone remembers those Queen songs that Marillion wouldn’t have seen to much of a profile bump from doing the soundtrack, but you never know.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:53:20 PM by HOF »

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
I'm not completely sure it fits the theme, but David Bowie's Black star was not only recorded while he was dying of liver cancer, but he successfully hid it from the musicians playing on it, only the producer knew.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2020, 05:17:03 PM »
Highlander is an awesome movie!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ozzy554

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2020, 05:24:45 PM »
I know this album is a bit divisive but I love it. Black Sabbath: Never Say Die.

Even though this clearly was made by a band about to fall apart I think that's where the diversity on the album comes from. Air Dance, Johnny Blade, Juniors eyes, Shockwaves are some of my favorite lesser known sabbath tracks.

Though I will always wonder what the album would've been with Dave Walker. He had an interesting voice and I quite enjoy his version of Junior's eyes.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2020, 06:13:14 PM »
Joe Perry is overrated as hell.

Although I do rank I've Got The Rock And Rolls Again very high.

I won't argue that, actually.  The first part.  I like me some Aerosmith, but he doesn't rank very high (I actually think that Brad Whitford is the better guitarist, technically). 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »
I know this album is a bit divisive but I love it. Black Sabbath: Never Say Die.

Even though this clearly was made by a band about to fall apart I think that's where the diversity on the album comes from. Air Dance, Johnny Blade, Juniors eyes, Shockwaves are some of my favorite lesser known sabbath tracks.

Though I will always wonder what the album would've been with Dave Walker. He had an interesting voice and I quite enjoy his version of Junior's eyes.

I really like Never Say Die. It sheds some of the doomy ‘Iron Man’ gothic metal elements for a swingier hard rock sound that somehow foreshadows what Ozzy did in his solo career.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »
I love Never Say Die. Junior's Eyes :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2020, 06:30:23 PM »
Devin is such a musical genius, I think he is capable of taking any genre and making it sound good, if not amazing. Casualties is just a case in point.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2020, 06:31:56 PM »

I really like Never Say Die. It sheds some of the doomy ‘Iron Man’ gothic metal elements for a swingier hard rock sound that somehow foreshadows what Ozzy did in his solo career.

YES!   I would put Technical Ecstacy in there too, but Iommi plays in a more trebly, jazzier way than the Sludge-o-matic, Riffmaster General stuff he would fall into later.   "Over To You"; "Shock Wave"; "Air Dance".  Love those songs. 

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2020, 06:46:46 PM »
Love Never Say Die

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2020, 07:24:43 PM »
You know the album:   two unlikely pairs teaming up, sounds like a trainwreck, but the album isn't half bad.   Or famous band loses key member, obstinate rest of band decides they don't need 'em and puts out... a damn good record.    Or sessions are fraught with peril - drug use, death, fighting - and yet the end product is... a pretty good listen.   

5. The Cars - Move Like This (Ric's voice is unique, and I think it was Ben Orr's smooth as silk voice that gave it context, but with Ben gone, Ric had to carry an entire album... and he did it.)

4. Liam Gallagher - Liam Gallagher (Without his ex-Oasis mates Gem and Andy Bell, and without his brother who did all the heavy lifting in terms of songwriting and arranging, and yet this record has everything you'd want from a guy who has named one of his kids after John Lennon.   Great melodies and that voice...)

3.  Aerosmith - Night In The Ruts (Following a commercial bomb, deep in debt, and with one guitar player with his head in a pile of white powder (with a disenfranchised wife whispering in his ear) another guitar player with one foot out the door, a rhythm section bathed in a cloud of smoke, and a lead singer with a god complex and a needle in his arm and you do NOT have a recipe for a strong record.  Yet, the band delivered, and NITR is solid with only the cover of "Reefer Headed Woman" to drag it down.)

2. Kiss - Music From... The Elder (yea, I love it.  A bombastic three-chord rock band who is more show than dough decides to put out a concept album with a new drummer and a distant-and-leaving lead guitarist, and yet, it's in my top five or so Kiss albums, and one of the records I still go back to frequently).

Honorable mentions:
Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth
Mother Love Bone - Apple
Yes - Drama
The Panic Channel - One

Great Post   I have to think   but YES DRAMA is a great choice
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2020, 07:33:15 PM »
Here's one:

And Gary Moore no longer playing rock music?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2020, 07:38:24 PM »

it's mixed. some great stuff and some kinda bad stuff :P

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2020, 08:30:42 PM »
I am listening to Songs From The Elder for the first time...

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one. This is actually pretty damn good. I just imagine a different singer instead of Paul.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one. This is actually pretty damn good. I just imagine a different singer instead of Paul.

The Elder is pretty good.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2020, 08:34:58 PM »

Under The Rose... :metal :metal :metal Reminds me of Kansas.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2020, 08:38:14 PM »

it's mixed. some great stuff and some kinda bad stuff :P

I think it's pretty consistent, for the most part. Both the heavier moments (Disruptr :metal) and the more atmospheric songs like Winter and Lady Helen are done really well. I'll concede that Trainfire is pretty bad though and doesn't really fit with the mood of the album. And the last two songs kinda feel like afterthoughts but they're short and the title track is the true climax of the album so whatever.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2020, 08:40:30 PM »
The Velvet Teen - Elysium .

Elysium features absolutely no guitars, yet it's a masterpiece and even as different as it is, it still is by far, this band's greatest work.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2020, 08:51:30 PM »

Under The Rose... :metal :metal :metal Reminds me of Kansas.

The combo of "Only You"/"Under The Rose" are probably my favorite two songs on the record.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2020, 09:05:04 PM »
Stadler, I’ll never forget when you mentioned in a Kiss thread that a Kiss album tends to live or die by whether or not Gene shows up. I had never thought about that before, but looking back on the Kiss catalog, you’re absolutely right.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2020, 09:05:26 PM »
I actually agree with almost everyone's choices here. I'm with all the love people are giving to Never Say Die.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2020, 09:08:38 PM »
Stadler, I’ll never forget when you mentioned in a Kiss thread that a Kiss album tends to live or die by whether or not Gene shows up. I had never thought about that before, but looking back on the Kiss catalog, you’re absolutely right.

Well it makes sense. With Paul Stanley, you're gonna get a good album. But Gene can swing it good or bad.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2020, 09:09:22 PM »
I’m probably going to be in the minority here, but I’m going to go ahead and throw The X Factor on the pile.

Everything leading up to that album should’ve made it a complete stinkbomb. But it actually turned out very very well. They would wait one more album for the stinkbomb. 😝

Please people, don’t put those two albums in the same league. TXF is a criminally underrated gem, and VXI is a turd. To call it a beer coaster would be in insult to beer coasters.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2020, 09:11:37 PM »
I’m probably going to be in the minority here, but I’m going to go ahead and throw The X Factor on the pile.

Nah, that's a legit answer. Personally, I think TXF is a demo for a fucking amazing album. I just think it had far greater potential than what was settled on. But I get it. Maiden was sitting on a damn nuclear bomb of an album here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2020, 09:21:38 PM »
I'm not sure I fully understand the concept of the thread, but that Coverdale/Page album is pretty good.

This.  And I am also thoroughly confused by:

Mother Love Bone - Apple
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."