Author Topic: Eddie Van Halen has passed away  (Read 13734 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Eddie Van Halen has passed away
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
I think to some degree more than some other bands, it's hard to reconcile how big Van Halen were in the early 80's.   

Van Halen were FUCKING HUGE!

And for whatever reason, they are criminally overlooked by future generations.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2020, 07:14:51 PM »
Young kids do not know the impact VH had. They don't know how the were larger than life to so many kids.  They were larger than life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2020, 07:17:25 PM »
I actually just listened to 5150 for the first time in awhile last week and for some reason, had VH in my thoughts recently.

Live Without A Net, recorded right here in New Haven, CT at the old Coliseum (also where I saw my first show!)

Yea, so this is kind of why I thought of listening to 5150 last week, I stopped in New Haven for some pizza and on the way, I was like "New HALEN!" which Sammy says on the DVD and so I put on 5150 (my favorite Van Halen album and what the live album was centered around).  I just was watching it in my basement now too, it's such a good concert DVD.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2020, 07:21:08 PM »
 :'(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2020, 07:22:46 PM »
I think Tick went to that show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2020, 07:26:08 PM »
I think Tick went to that show.

Live Without A Jacket.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »
I'm still not a 5150 guy and DLR's first tour blew it away. Though I must say, while VH lost the first battle, they definitely won the war.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 06:02:55 AM by TAC »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2020, 07:29:51 PM »
I have literally never watched Live Without A Net. And I mean never.

Isn't it filled with all sorts of editing gaffes?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2020, 07:30:42 PM »
I haven't watched it in a long time. I don't remember that though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2020, 08:01:37 PM »
I actually just listened to 5150 for the first time in awhile last week and for some reason, had VH in my thoughts recently.

Live Without A Net, recorded right here in New Haven, CT at the old Coliseum (also where I saw my first show!)

Yea, so this is kind of why I thought of listening to 5150 last week, I stopped in New Haven for some pizza and on the way, I was like "New HALEN!" which Sammy says on the DVD and so I put on 5150 (my favorite Van Halen album and what the live album was centered around).  I just was watching it in my basement now too, it's such a good concert DVD.

Where'd you go for 'za? 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2020, 08:41:28 PM »
I think to some degree more than some other bands, it's hard to reconcile how big Van Halen were in the early 80's.   

Van Halen were FUCKING HUGE!

And for whatever reason, they are criminally overlooked by future generations.

On the way home from work, the news talk radio host said that VH 1 was 'instrumental in the death of disco'. That alone is a true, and yuuuuuge statement.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2020, 09:37:11 PM »
🎶Happy trails to you.............we'll meet again my friend,, someday sooooooooon! 🎶
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2020, 10:08:26 PM »
Absolutely... gobsmacked :eek
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2020, 10:10:51 PM »

Where'd you go for 'za?

If people out east refer to pizza as 'za, I declare war on the near east. :) :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2020, 11:26:58 PM »

I never noticed it and I've watched it many many times.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2020, 12:57:45 AM »

Yeah, never noticed that too, although it's been a time since I last watched it.

It isn't the best concert video but at the time it was the only one. And I like that Eddie actually plays keyboard on some songs and Sammy playing the guitar parts instead of using tapes like they did later.

The editing is heavy on Right Here Right Now, maybe you mean that one.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2020, 04:34:26 AM »
I'm fucking crushed. My musical hero. It's because of him that I started playing 35 years ago,
and EVH was the reason I try to play at my best today.
Even my wife was crying at the news knowing how hard it would hit me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2020, 05:16:21 AM »

Yeah, never noticed that too, although it's been a time since I last watched it.

It isn't the best concert video but at the time it was the only one. And I like that Eddie actually plays keyboard on some songs and Sammy playing the guitar parts instead of using tapes like they did later.

The editing is heavy on Right Here Right Now, maybe you mean that one.

I've never once watched Right Here Right Now, even though I did buy the tape when it came out.

Eh, never mind I guess.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2020, 05:34:12 AM »
I'm still not a 5150 guy and DLR's first tour blew it away. Though I must say, while VH lost the first battle, they definitely won the ar.

I'd agree with that. Never liked 5150 as an album. EE&S won hands down. After that, Van Hagar wins.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2020, 06:01:44 AM »
This one hurts just about as much as Peart. Although, now that I think of it, when I count my top bands, VH never comes up, but they should, I've overlooked them.

Been a fan since '78 and the first album. Saw the 5150 tour in '86 at the Meadowlands arena. He reinvented the guitar with his playing.

A couple things I posted on FB when I first heard yesterday:

First there was Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, and Page, but you mastered and perfected it. There was no one before or since that sounded like you, and in my mind, you were the guitar GOAT.
RIP Eddie Van Halen

and

I always said, going back to high school, that this was my fantasy band:
Vocals: Freddie Mercury
Guitar: Eddie Van Halen
Bass: Chris Squire
Drums: Neil Peart
Keys: Keith Emerson
Now they’re all gone. I hope they’re jamming together somewhere.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2020, 06:03:00 AM »
I'm still not a 5150 guy and DLR's first tour blew it away. Though I must say, while VH lost the first battle, they definitely won the ar.

I'd agree with that. Never liked 5150 as an album. EE&S won hands down. After that, Van Hagar wins.

This was how I felt at the time. As a young kid, my perception was that VH *needed* Monsters of Rock to draw an audience.  :lolpalm:  By the time I really listened to 5051, and the release of OU812/Skyscraper, VH was in the lead.

This really blows.  For us fogeys, the upcoming decade is going to have a LOT of this.  Gonna be a lot of sad times coming unfortunately.  :sadpanda:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2020, 06:04:43 AM »

This was how I felt at the time. As a young kid, my perception was that VH *needed* Monsters of Rock to draw an audience.  :lolpalm:  By the time I really listened to 5051, and the release of OU812/Skyscraper, VH was in the lead.

This really blows.  For us fogeys, the upcoming decade is going to have a LOT of this.  Gonna be a lot of sad times coming unfortunately.  :sadpanda:

In my favorite band alone, UFO has lost 3 members in the last year and a half, and two of them in the last 6 months.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2020, 06:06:37 AM »

In my favorite band alone, UFO has lost 3 members in the last year and a half, and two of them in the last 6 months.

Someone better wrap Ace Frehley and Angus Young up in cotton wool because two of my early influences are gone (Gary Moore and now Eddie).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2020, 06:09:17 AM »
Yeah Gary Moore. Brutal.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2020, 06:11:34 AM »
Really sad news. I was never a big VH fan but I was a huge Eddie fan, I've watched countless videos of him playing. RIP to a legend.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2020, 06:13:34 AM »
Two of my favorite moments of Live Without a Net:

https://youtu.be/HB8vp5R6Vmk

https://youtu.be/NqG7hXwXXv4

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2020, 06:34:01 AM »

That EE&S tour was PHENOMENAL.  I saw that (with Cinderella opening; fell in love with them that night, too!).

Offline Bentower

« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2020, 06:38:13 AM »
This Tokyo Dome show from '89 is the bee's knees. I might even proclaim that the official video releases pale by comparison.
Stellar performance by the band and a setlist, while not exactly ideal in typical Van Hagar fashion, is nevertheless "good enough". :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0mMB7vhje8
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2020, 06:41:33 AM »

You are, of course, correct.  A couple of my favorites are already gone - Wetton, Greg Lake, Chris Squire - but when we start in with the real core guys - Simmons, Stanley, Billy Joel, McCartney, Blackmore - it's going to get tough for me.   Eddie is in that group, so while I'm not "sad" per se, it's a really weird feeling, since these are starting to be PEERS (well, not McCartney and Blackmore; they're old) more or less, or at least older brothers/sisters.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2020, 06:47:30 AM »
It's funny; it's not like I DISLIKE it, but the Van Hagar years haven't aged as well as the Roth years for me.   If I have the choice to go listen to Fair Warning, or OU812, I'm going to FW.  If I have a choice of listening to Diver Down or Carnal Knowledge, I'm going DD.   I don't know; if I put on the first six albums, there are maybe five songs, MAYBE, that I skip.  There are three on 5150 alone (Good Enough, Get Up, and Inside).  In the Roth years there are like four perfect album sides (VHI Side One, Fair Warning, Side One, DD Side One, 1984 Side One); I'm not sure there's one in the Hagar years (EDIT:  There is one:  OU812, Side One).  Not to say I don't like the Hagar years, but it wasn't a sound track for me, as much.  Only OU812 rises to that level.   

Offline HOF

« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2020, 06:59:07 AM »
It's funny; it's not like I DISLIKE it, but the Van Hagar years haven't aged as well as the Roth years for me.   If I have the choice to go listen to Fair Warning, or OU812, I'm going to FW.  If I have a choice of listening to Diver Down or Carnal Knowledge, I'm going DD.   I don't know; if I put on the first six albums, there are maybe five songs, MAYBE, that I skip.  There are three on 5150 alone (Good Enough, Get Up, and Inside).  In the Roth years there are like four perfect album sides (VHI Side One, Fair Warning, Side One, DD Side One, 1984 Side One); I'm not sure there's one in the Hagar years (EDIT:  There is one:  OU812, Side One).  Not to say I don't like the Hagar years, but it wasn't a sound track for me, as much.  Only OU812 rises to that level.

To be honest, VH were not really an “albums” band for me. It was always way more about the hits, and pretty much every album has 3-4 songs that are just not that great (which is a bigger deal on the earlier albums). Part of it’s my age, but For Unlawful, Balance, and III are their strongest albums as a complete work in my opinion, and the later two lack the big rock radio hits but have a lot more depth and consistently strong material through and through. I know most people will disagree with me, but the earlier albums were for partying. They got a little more serious in the 90s at least.

As I was listening through VH songs on shuffle last night, Josephina from III came up and was actually the last thing I listened to. Seemed fitting somehow. I don’t think many VH fans care for it, but it’s a really fun showcase of EVH’s creativity on guitar. Basically all of his tricks are on display.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cltNn3Fvu7k
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:13:52 AM by HOF »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2020, 07:08:02 AM »

Me Personally, I'd rate the Van Hagar years

Ballance
OU812
F.U.C.K.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2020, 07:18:18 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cltNn3Fvu7k

I've never heard this before, but he goes from Alex Lifeson right into Michael Schenker.

I must say the first thing that came to my mind when this started was..

"What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound...."

Holy shit though, that song blows. :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2020, 07:19:34 AM »
This Tokyo Dome show from '89 is the bee's knees. I might even proclaim that the official video releases pale by comparison.
Stellar performance by the band and a setlist, while not exactly ideal in typical Van Hagar fashion, is nevertheless "good enough". :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0mMB7vhje8

That show is REALLY cool. It's funny, but for a band whose live reputation is so great, their amount of live releases is very slim. And that includes a live album which is not really live (Live: Right Here, Right Now, which was is chockful of studio overdubs - more so than your customary live release) and the horrible Live at Tokyo Dome. There should have been a live album of the "golden" Roth years. I hope they rectify that now, and that some of the thousands of hours of demos from 5150 see the light of day in some shape or form too.