Author Topic: Eddie Van Halen has passed away  (Read 13738 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Eddie Van Halen has passed away
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2020, 03:03:57 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up for those unworthy of such sacred knowledge like myself  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »
The 1984 exterminator tour logo.

The record label (or band, I can’t remember) wanted a company to sponsor the tour, and I think the manager fucked the deal up. I gotta read his book again.

Anyways, then Dave had the idea of hey, why don’t WE sponsor a business. So they chose that LA exterminator and used their logo for the tour. I think it’s a badass logo
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Bentower

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2020, 03:09:39 PM »
Well then, fuck sleep, I'm spinning Best of Volume I. Probably following it up with Live Without a Net.

A trillion bows at the teacher. It rules that he lived.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 03:50:34 PM by Bentower »
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2020, 03:11:49 PM »

The record label (or band, I can’t remember) wanted a company to sponsor the tour, and I think the manager fucked the deal up. I gotta read his book again.

Anyways, then Dave had the idea of hey, why don’t WE sponsor a business. So they chose that LA exterminator and used their logo for the tour. I think it’s a badass logo
That's awesome. And I bet it worked great. If I needed an exterminator and saw the VH logo in the phone book I'd definitely go with the cool guys.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2020, 03:13:30 PM »
I loved his guitar playing.  Too bad I never got the chance to see him play live in concert.  RIP Eddie.  :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline HOF

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2020, 03:14:13 PM »

When Prince died there was much made of his "archive" and all the music that he made for himself, with no intentions of anyone hearing.  I suspect that Eddie's will dwarf that.  He himself has claimed he goes in and noodles for hours sometimes without any intention of writing or performing, and I would hope that sometime, somewhere down the road, Wolfie decides to share that trove with us.

Honestly, this was one of my first thoughts too. I hope Wolfgang (or someone else in the VH camp) has the wherewithal to curate Eddie’s archives and we someday get a glimpse of what he was up to. Although those things can be messy and it’s possible Eddie didn’t want any of it to see the light of day, so we’ll see.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2020, 03:15:50 PM »
I apologize since it seems I derailed the thread with the confusion over the logo. Definitely never intended that. All I was saying in my post was "if you know" what my avatar is in it's relation to VH then you'd know this is a sad day for me personally. I wasn't trying to be cryptic or hide sacred info just that it's always been my avatar here and obviously I'm a massive VH fan.

Very sad to lose such a legend and icon... RIP King Edward.  :'(

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2020, 03:18:38 PM »
Never been a fan but you have to live under a rock to not realize, understand and accept, from countless musicians talking about it, what a massive influence he was on the genre we all love. I feel sorry even if I didn't follow his music, he was one of the defining icons of an entire genre. It's like when we'll loose Ozzy, Paul McCartney, Plant and Page, Bruce Springsteen, etc.... no matter if you like the music or not, you just can't not know the massive influence they had. Always sad when something like this happens, especially for that awful, horrible cancer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline HOF

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2020, 03:22:30 PM »
Never been a fan but you have to live under a rock to not realize, understand and accept, from countless musicians talking about it, what a massive influence he was on the genre we all love. I feel sorry even if I didn't follow his music, he was one of the defining icons of an entire genre. It's like when we'll loose Ozzy, Paul McCartney, Plant and Page, Bruce Springsteen, etc.... no matter if you like the music or not, you just can't not know the massive influence they had. Always sad when something like this happens, especially for that awful, horrible cancer.

Yep. For instance, JP on Instagram just a minute ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGBEa5hhALr/

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2020, 03:24:51 PM »
Even though I'm a guitarist, Eddie was never an influence on me, nor was I a big VH fan.  But, his influence to the world and millions of people is unquestioned.  He changed the game for guitar playing and was a master at his craft.  Such a unique style and perhaps I'll revisit his work to find a new found appreciation.

RIP Eddie.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2020, 03:26:52 PM »
Im gutted..........saw them for the first time in 1982,,this is awful news
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2020, 03:28:49 PM »
This is a big one.  Although I definitely lost my taste for a lot of the bullshit of later years, especially the firing of Michael Anthony, there was definitely a time in my life when the sun rose and set on Eddie Van Halen for me.  VH was definitely my favorite band in the world for years and years.

I only got to see them live once, but it was an awesome show - at an outdoor amphitheater in Raleigh on the F.U.C.K. tour, with Alice In Chains as the opener.

This sucks.

RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2020, 03:52:44 PM »
I knew Van Halen growing up, but it wasn't until the Summer of 1995 that I dove in and collected everything from them including their new album Balance, which I now feel fortunate to have been able to see them on tour that Summer.

man, 19 years with Cancer? jeez..that even eclipses Marie Fredriksson from Roxette.

While he was not the 1st known guitarist to use the tapping technique (Steve Hackett?), he will always be the most known for it. Whenever I hear that, I always think of him (like when I listen to Pain of Salvation's "Nightmist".."Finished What Ya Started" always pops into my head).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »
I loved his guitar playing.  Too bad I never got the chance to see him play live in concert.  RIP Eddie.  :hefdaddy

I had a chance to see him, but that tour never came to fruition.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2020, 04:02:52 PM »

I didn't know that.

There used to be several of these in Southern California.  I guess VH found them as amusing as I always did, but I had no idea VH had adopted it.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2020, 04:16:16 PM »
This is a big one.  Although I definitely lost my taste for a lot of the bullshit of later years, especially the firing of Michael Anthony, there was definitely a time in my life when the sun rose and set on Eddie Van Halen for me.  VH was definitely my favorite band in the world for years and years.

I only got to see them live once, but it was an awesome show - at an outdoor amphitheater in Raleigh on the F.U.C.K. tour, with Alice In Chains as the opener.

This sucks.

RIP
VH were my Led Zeppelin.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2020, 04:22:40 PM »
Threads merged.

Although I'm only a casual Van Halen fan, like many have already said there is no denying the absolute influence the man has had, and as a prog fan who also dabbles in drums I can only equate how I felt when Neil Peart died to how many rock fans, and especially guitarists are feeling today.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2020, 04:38:18 PM »
Easily one of the most influential musicians in rock and roll. RIP legend.

Offline MusicMaker

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2020, 04:40:14 PM »
Huge Van Halen fan.  My favorite band hands-down through my most formative years. 

I have very mixed feelings about the different parts of Eddie that have been revealed/shown to me in stages through the years, but I certainly never knew the man personally and as a result I've always tried to just kinda live with my mental image of the Eddie I emotionally and mentally spent so much time with. 

To me, Eddie Van Halen is the biggest face on the Mount Rushmore of guitar/rock.  One of the (if not THE) most incredible guitarists and rock writers to ever live.  So many other artists and so much other music wouldn't exist or be who they are without Eddie's trailblazing.

More than anything, though, I feel so sad today knowing that there will never be another Van Halen song or Van Halen tour, or even an Eddie Van Halen solo cut or side-collaboration.  Maybe someday we'll hear the troves of material from his 5150 studio, but as of Oct 6 2020, no more Van Halen music will ever be created.  That really depresses me, but also fills me with gratitude.  Thank you, Eddie, for the music.

Rock stars come and go.  Musicians play until they die.

-EVH

Side note:
I always thought the "Hammerman" logo was so cool.  Growing up in Southern California, I always got a kick out of the statues on trucks all over the place.  Western is still in business today, and still uses the logo.   Never knew why Van Halen adopted that logo, but it always seemed a perfect fit.

Offline HOF

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2020, 04:43:13 PM »
I think the thing that really sets EVH apart even more so than his tapping technique is his tone. It’s just so meaty, expressive, and original. Nobody else sounds quite like that even though a legion of followers tried throughout the 80s.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2020, 04:57:09 PM »
I think the thing that really sets EVH apart even more so than his tapping technique is his tone. It’s just so meaty, expressive, and original. Nobody else sounds quite like that even though a legion of followers tried throughout the 80s.
This. He was such a tone chaser (as he said himself), it was legendary. He perfected it I would guess.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2020, 04:58:45 PM »
Although I'm only a casual Van Halen fan, like many have already said there is no denying the absolute influence the man has had, and as a prog fan who also dabbles in drums I can only equate how I felt when Neil Peart died to how many rock fans, and especially guitarists are feeling today.

Was actually thinking of this.  I've never been a Rush fan so Neil's death didn't hit me as hard as it did for so many, but I totally respected the guy and his art of the drums.  Now I feel like things are reversed, where this death actually hits me and I see many people writing the way I felt for Neil.  It's all good.  Respect.  It's music so it's not going to connect the same for everyone, but we all can at least agree these guys were HUGE for their skill and art plus their influence on music today.  Fuck 2020

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2020, 04:59:24 PM »
I was lucky to see all 3 singers with Eddie live.

1984 tour
0U812 tour (Monsters of Rock)
F.U.C.K. tour
Right Here Right Now Tour
VHIII tour
2004 Sammy Reunion tour

Thank you Eddie for making me feel alive.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 05:19:41 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2020, 05:04:01 PM »
Apparently he died from cancer caused by HPV. I will be looking into getting that vaccine. RIP though

Offline HOF

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2020, 05:04:53 PM »
Also, two of the great moments in Van Halen history from a pure song perspective feature Eddie more prominently on keys than guitar (Jump and Right Now). I always wished he had done a solo album featuring more of his piano playing, or something like that that didn’t have to fit within the confines of VH.

Offline MusicMaker

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2020, 05:05:39 PM »

Yes, absolutely.  The signature famous self-described "Brown Sound."  Magnificent.

I am not a guitarist and know little about guitar signal path and the billions of options available, but I can almost instantly recognize Eddie's tone (and his playing style).  I love finding it from time-to-time in Eddie's non-VH material, and love it when others pay tribute to it at certain moments in their own work (for example, I hear it clear-as-day in a specific section of Overture 1928 at the start of DT's Scenes from a Memory).

The other thing I just marvel at is Eddie's ability to write KILLER rhythm/backing guitar parts.  Just unbelievable sections and riffs.  When I listen to most VH tracks, there is ALWAYS something interesting and purposeful happening in the guitar.  I love his transitions, I love his sound-bed verse backings, I love his aggressive-yet-musical riffs,  and I am truly ecstatic over so many of his incredible wind-ups to land/announce the arrival of the chorus.  Eddie's music RIPS and SOARS, and does so just as much in the non-hit deep cuts as it does his most famous chart-toppers.  Just... incredible.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2020, 05:19:07 PM »
I was lucky to see all 3 singers with Eddie live.

1984 tour
0U812 tour (Monsters of Rock)
F.U.C.K. tour
Right Here Right Now Tour
VHIII tour

Thank you Eddie for making me feel alive.

3-18-84  Civic Center, Providence
8-22-86  Civic Center, Providence
6-26-88  Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ
10-9-91  Civic Center, Providence
7-10-93 Great Woods, Mansfield Ma
4-30-95  Civic Center, Providence
8-9-95   Great Woods, Mansfield Ma

August 22, 1986
Providence Civic Center

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 05:25:38 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2020, 05:20:29 PM »
I added the 2004 reunion tour with Sammy. Forgot that one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MusicMaker

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2020, 05:55:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4SR3DOe2PY

Lost Boys Calling, from The Legend of 1900.  This was composed by Ennio Morricone (another legend and personal hero lost in 2020).  Lyrics and vocals by Roger Waters.  Guitar solos by Eddie Van Halen.

I've always liked this mostly unknown gem, but am finding it an emotional match for today.  Thank you Maestro Morricone, thank you EVH.  I will remember you through your music.

Quote from: Lost Boys Calling, by Ennio Morricone, Roger Waters, feat. Eddie Van Halen
The spotlight fades, the boys disband
The final notes lie mute upon the sand
And in the silence of the grave
I can still hear those lost boys calling
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:01:39 PM by MusicMaker »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2020, 05:59:10 PM »
YES!  TAC, thanks for the picture.  He did that on the OU812 tour and on the reunion tour and it was just magical.   15,000 people paying rapt attention as he played and even - as he did on the second show I saw - stopped to light a cigarette midway through. 

EDIT:  Thanks, too, MusicMaker; I'd never heard that before. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:06:56 PM by Stadler »

Offline HOF

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2020, 06:13:57 PM »

Lost Boys Calling, from The Legend of 1900.  This was composed by Ennio Morricone (another legend and personal hero lost in 2020).  Lyrics and vocals by Roger Waters.  Guitar solos by Eddie Van Halen.

I've always liked this mostly unknown gem, but am finding it an emotional match for today.  Thank you Maestro Morricone, thank you EVH.  I will remember you through your music.

Quote from: Lost Boys Calling, by Ennio Morricone, Roger Waters, feat. Eddie Van Halen
The spotlight fades, the boys disband
The final notes lie mute upon the sand
And in the silence of the grave
I can still hear those lost boys calling

Wow. Had no idea about this collaboration. Is this the last thing EVH played on (that’s been released)?

Edit: Disregard as now I see this was released in 1999 (the YouTube video was published in 2018).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2020, 06:34:47 PM »

Wow, that's quite interesting. Would've loved to hear more from Eddie in that vain.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2020, 07:03:40 PM »
My CDs I mostly bought used in high school and my DVDs (including a bootleg of a DLR show since I wanted to watch him perform before youtube was thing) plus my two ticket stubs seeing both Sammy in 2004 and DLR in 2015.  I was born in 1984 so I've always had a special place in my heart for that album although I didn't live their heyday which makes my opinions a bit different than most, as I was more of a Sammy fan.  I'm just glad that I not only got to experience Eddie live, but also kept all these through the years. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2020, 07:10:22 PM »
Nice pick of your collection cram.  We are born the same year too.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2020, 07:10:52 PM »
Live Without A Net, recorded right here in New Haven, CT at the old Coliseum (also where I saw my first show!)

I think to some degree more than some other bands, it's hard to reconcile how big Van Halen were in the early 80's.   Dave's schtick got... if not "old" then well-worn over the years, but in 1982, 1983, he - and the band - were the cat's meow.  They were one of those rare bands that were cool enough for the guys to love, but slick enough for the girls to love too.   It was common ground.  Switzerland.  Couple of my high school friends texted me this afternoon, and I wrote back: "Every single one of you has a story you won't tell your wife that involves Van Halen, at least tangentially."   I know I do.