Author Topic: Eddie Van Halen has passed away  (Read 13737 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Eddie Van Halen has passed away
« Reply #315 on: November 17, 2020, 05:33:08 AM »
Yeah..............not really my style of music but tugs at the heart strings and Wolfie has done a great job as pretty much a one man show.

Same, but it was a very emotional video and tribute, that's for sure.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #316 on: November 17, 2020, 09:08:39 AM »
I work in online music retail, and I've seen an incredible run on all things Van Halen related.  The demand for EVH related products is just incredible right now.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #317 on: November 17, 2020, 11:42:10 AM »
I've been pretty critical of EVH over the years but if anything is evident, it's the special relationship between Wolfie and EVH. I saw them on their reunion tour with Sammy, when Wolfie would come out and play during EVH's solo and man, you could just tell what a proud papa EVH was!

I really like the music that Wolfie is making even though it's not usually my cup of tea. Good for him!

BTW - Wolfie is taking quite a beating in social media for some reason. Freakin assholes!  >:(

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #318 on: November 17, 2020, 12:05:19 PM »
maybe this was already shared?

On Howard Stern
"Wolfgang Reveals There Was a Van Halen Reunion in the Works Before Eddie Died"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDnzJTs7BWc

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: November 17, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »
I'll always remember that night I found on YT the video of Dreams, live in Toronto on '95, it had to be sometime around 2006/7.
By then I was aware of just a bunch of VH songs, and of course of Eddie way of doing his things.
After that I was a lot into them: I remember the live streaming of the press conference about their reunion with Roth, the release of A Different Kind of Truth and how good Eddie looked, and sounded, on the 2015 tour.
It's still hard, and Wolfgang's new song and video punched me in the stomach the whole day.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #320 on: November 17, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »
I work in online music retail, and I've seen an incredible run on all things Van Halen related.  The demand for EVH related products is just incredible right now.

Likewise. The man's shadow over 'gear' cannot be overstated.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2020, 06:51:21 AM »
I've been pretty critical of EVH over the years but if anything is evident, it's the special relationship between Wolfie and EVH. I saw them on their reunion tour with Sammy, when Wolfie would come out and play during EVH's solo and man, you could just tell what a proud papa EVH was!

I really like the music that Wolfie is making even though it's not usually my cup of tea. Good for him!

BTW - Wolfie is taking quite a beating in social media for some reason. Freakin assholes!  >:(

Of all the emotions around this, this is perhaps the most heartbreaking thing I've read:

https://twitter.com/Wolfiesmom/status/1328523131678453760?s=20

I "lived" that relationship in real time; he was the smooth handsome rock star, she the cute pixie family favorite actress.  When they broke up, it was sad.   They both remarried, but it's pretty clear that neither one left the other behind.   And while I have no fucking idea what goes on behind the scenes, it SEEMS so genuine.  A love that transcends life and how we live it.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »

Of all the emotions around this, this is perhaps the most heartbreaking thing I've read:

https://twitter.com/Wolfiesmom/status/1328523131678453760?s=20

I "lived" that relationship in real time; he was the smooth handsome rock star, she the cute pixie family favorite actress.  When they broke up, it was sad.   They both remarried, but it's pretty clear that neither one left the other behind.   And while I have no fucking idea what goes on behind the scenes, it SEEMS so genuine.  A love that transcends life and how we live it.

Same here. Valerie B. was a gal that every kid our age wanted to bring home to their moms and I am not sure why but I was bursting with pride when they got together. Also, EVH helped make it cool to like your parents at an age where rebellion was the emotion of the day.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #323 on: December 16, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »
Just saw this article and video - a fine tribute to the kind of person EVH was - and thought it worth sharing. Very much a class act.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/previously-unseen-footage-of-eddie-van-halen-and-jason-becker-posted-online/
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #324 on: December 17, 2020, 10:04:11 AM »
Wow...that really choked me up especially when Ed was holding Jason's hand. Hard to believe,watching that,that with all of Jason's struggles he would outlive Ed.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #325 on: December 17, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »
Just saw this article and video - a fine tribute to the kind of person EVH was - and thought it worth sharing. Very much a class act.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/previously-unseen-footage-of-eddie-van-halen-and-jason-becker-posted-online/

Yeah, that was awesome. Around 06:08, Eddie plays a riff that would end up on Without You, from 1998!!! And the "mistake" on the version of Eruption that ended up on VH 1 always bothered him.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: March 01, 2021, 11:14:17 AM »
The Bill Burr thread in the main forum reminded me that Wolfgang was on his podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IKu_H0li2E

It's a pretty good listen.