Author Topic: Eddie Van Halen has passed away  (Read 13741 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Eddie Van Halen has passed away
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »
My thoughts as I'm re-listening to the whole Van Halen catalogue, which I posted also on Facebook: if booze, heat and cheap ladies' perfume had a sound, this would be IT!!!! At least for the first six albums. With Sammy it was more like soda, spring and high end fashion...but still great. I even rediscovered some gems like Fools, Dirty Movies, Light Up the Sky. Aftershock, Cabo Wabo...so much brilliance, and what a smile!!!!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2020, 11:36:40 AM »
Was thinking about 5150 Studios... I'm assuming that and EVH's gear will go to Wolfie.
I just hope the whole thing doesn't become a clusterfuk between him and Ed's wife Janie.

Then there's all the unreleased music and video.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2020, 11:46:03 AM »
I cannot claim to have been a huge Van Halen fan, but I had a couple of VH phases that were HUGE for me.

Van Halen I was my first hard rock album, and it really shaped my musical interests for probably the rest of my entire life.  I've told parts of this story before, but:  The first album I ever bought was a cassette of Queen's The Game from the music store (as in, musical instrument store) around the corner.  My next musical "purchase" was a huge album dump in the form of Columbia House's "13 albums for a penny" deal.  I forget exactly how the initial offer worked, but I think you picked your first album for $2.99, and then 13 for a penny.  As I was running down the list of albums to choose from, most of it was more "pop."  But I had a friend who had a few Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, and Van Halen tapes that I had heard a bit of from time to time, and I was curious about this heavier music.  I wanted to get Ozzy's debut album, but was terrified that my parents (primarily, my mom) would completely freak out.  So I chose Van Halen I instead. 

I remember when the box arrived.  I opened it up and remember some of those tapes including Mean At Work, Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Toni Basil...and, of course, Van Halen.  We were going to my great grandmother's house, so I grabbed a couple of tapes to bring along, in hopes I could listen.  I remember that at some point, I came outside by myself and popped VHI into the cassette player in my dad's Volvo.  I don't believe I listened to the whole album--I think it was just most or all of side 1.  But I remember those first three songs just blowing my mind.  I had never heard anything so heavy.  And the guitars!  This was a life-changing moment.  I liked all those other albums I bought.  But from that moment forward, guitar-based hard rock was my go-to.

Another story from years ago that I heard from the guys in Y&T:  I don't remember now whether this was something Dave Meniketti shared on his forum or whether I heard this directly from Joey Alves (Y&T's original rhythm guitar player) the couple of times I spent with him in person.  Anyhow, this goes back to the first show where this little unsigned band called Van Halen was slotted to open for Y&T.  I think this may have been the show after which VH got signed, but I don't know for sure.  Anyhow, Joey had been watching Eddie warming up and was struck with how amazing a player he was.  He immediately came back to the dressing room and told the guys about his Van Halen kid.  They kind of laughed it off, questioned how good this kid with a funny name could be, and went about their business.  So Joey brought Eddie back to the dressing room and had him play something, and it silenced everyone in the room.  They watched VH's opening set and were blown away.  And that kicked off many years of a long (mostly) friendly rivalry between the two bands.

For me, as I said, that first album really set a standard for me and helped shape my musical identity.  But I have to say that their other albums were hit and miss for me, and other than 5150 being in CONSTANT rotation back when it came out, I drafted away from this band and moved on to others.  But I cannot deny how much Eddie's innovating playing and his songwriting brought me to the vast majority of music I have loved through the years.

Tangent:  Did any of you happen to catch Mangini's post about Eddie and 5150 Studios?  :heart:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2020, 11:54:57 AM »
I did read Mangini's post, and it was very moving.

Modified because I typed "Mancini"!!! Stupid autocorrect...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 12:15:12 PM by RodrigoAltaf »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2020, 11:58:11 AM »
Yea, MM's post about his time in 5150 was really cool to read.

Offline MusicMaker

« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »
A couple more EVH tracks that seem especially appropriate today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6LwYFR_-Qc

Crossing Over
EVH originally worked on but never completed this after the passing of a friend in 1983.  VH (with Hagar) completed the song after the passing of band friend and manager Ed Leffler in 1994.  It was released as a B-side to their hit single "Can't Stop Lovin' You" and as a bonus track on the Japanese import of the Balance album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP6nKTu6TGY

Respect the Wind
Written by Eddie and his brother Alex as an instrumental epilogue to the events of the 1996 film Twister (which, incidentally, also featured an original hit song from the full Van Halen band- "Humans Being").  It played over the end credits, transitioning out of composer Mark Mancina's score.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 01:46:24 PM by MusicMaker »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2020, 12:46:39 PM »
I have a weird relationship with Van Halen.  I only like the first album and a couple of scattered tracks throughout the rest of the catalog, emphasis on a couple.  I don't care for any of the Hagar era material to be honest.  But that first album was really something very, very special.  And it dropped at a very pivotal time in my life.  I was 14 years old at the time.  And it inspired me to pick up the guitar.  Over the years I've played every song on that first album on every instrument on that first album.  Even now, 42 years after it was released, I still pop it in once in a while, especially at the gym.  Eddie Van Halen, a man who never took a guitar lesson, but mastered the guitar.  A guy who never learned how to read music despite taking 3 years of piano lessons as a kid. He changed the instrument of electric guitar, despite not really inventing any new techniques.  But he was able to take the finger-tapping of players like Steve Hackett (think Supper's Ready) and the whammy bar dive bombing of players like Jimmy Hendrix and turn those techniques into something that sounded new and innovative.  He inspired legions of kids like me to pick up guitar.  Truly a unique talent who will certainly be missed after dying far too young.   :( 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2020, 01:11:08 PM »
A couple more EVH tracks that seem especially appropriate today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6LwYFR_-Qc

Crossing Over
EVH originally worked on but never completed this after the passing of a friend in 1983.  VH (with Hagar) completed the song after the passing of band friend and manager Ed Leffler in 1994.  It was released as a B-side to their hit single "Can't Stop Lovin' You" and as a bonus track on the Japanese import of the Balance album.

Was not familiar with this, first listen and not a song that I really enjoyed but that is a cool backstory behind it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2020, 01:13:07 PM »
https://youtu.be/yb26D8bBZB8

I found this pretty interesting.   

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2020, 02:13:21 PM »
What did he say?
Quote from FB.

"So deeply saddened by this tremendous loss today. EVH changed guitar forever and was a tremendous inspiration for me and countless guitarists everywhere. Today the guitar community and the world mourn the loss of a true innovator, legend and one of the greatest musical icons of our time. My deepest sympathies go out to his family. May you Rest In Peace Eddie."  - John Petrucci
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2020, 02:21:46 PM »
Thanks, Steve!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2020, 02:22:47 PM »
Boy, I powered thru the first 6 albums.  Man, those things are EP's by today's standards!  VH 1 at 35 minutes is the longest!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2020, 02:28:31 PM »
 Unreleased track with Gary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG_Llpssa4s

If this one was included in the album and one of the crappy ones that made it to VH III was cut, maybe the album would have had better luck.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2020, 02:33:09 PM »

If this one was included in the album and one of the crappy ones that made it to VH III was cut, maybe the album would have had better luck.

Are you trying to say that there was actually crappier songs than this??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2020, 02:53:19 PM »

Are you trying to say that there was actually crappier songs than this??

Four or five that made it to the album. And this song is just a demo, it's not the final product.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2020, 03:01:27 PM »
Fair enough.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2020, 03:51:10 PM »
Was happy to read that Sammy and Eddie made peace earlier this year and were in constant contact up until about mid year when Eddie stopped responding. They didn’t want it getting out because they didn’t want to reveal how sick Eddie was this entire year. But Sammy said it was a total love fest between the two of them and it was good to talk again. They also didn’t want reunion rumors to start because they both knew that wasn’t going to happen.

That makes me feel happy. I’m happy they buried the hatchet.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2020, 04:09:25 PM »

Just 10 minutes in but it's captivating.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2020, 04:21:33 PM »
Was happy to read that Sammy and Eddie made peace earlier this year and were in constant contact up until about mid year when Eddie stopped responding. They didn’t want it getting out because they didn’t want to reveal how sick Eddie was this entire year. But Sammy said it was a total love fest between the two of them and it was good to talk again. They also didn’t want reunion rumors to start because they both knew that wasn’t going to happen.

That's a silver lining right there.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2020, 04:22:30 PM »

That was fantastic!  So many interesting things I didn't know about him.  I also noticed how his voice sounded so striking similar to George Carlin.  I wonder if anyone else thinks so.
Thanks for sharing that Stad.  :)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »

Yea, here's blabbermouth on that https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sammy-hagar-had-secretly-been-in-contact-with-eddie-van-halen-for-last-few-months-its-been-a-love-fest/

Really good to see these two bury the hatchet.  I know Sammy had talked for a LONG time about wanting to be friendly with Eddie again and not for either of them to die with the negativity so I'm really happy to see they were able to do that.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2020, 05:25:34 PM »
Too bad DLR obviously didn’t feel the need to. Then again, as much as I consider him to be the greatest “front man” in the history of rock, part of me thinks he’s devoid of a real personality.

That guy used to be my hero, but he’s almost a self parody at this point...and his extremely brief statement online struck me as almost dismissive. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way. But maybe he’ll say more later. (He usually does  :-\ )
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2020, 05:37:15 PM »
Too bad DLR obviously didn’t feel the need to. Then again, as much as I consider him to be the greatest “front man” in the history of rock, part of me thinks he’s devoid of a real personality.

That guy used to be my hero, but he’s almost a self parody at this point...and his extremely brief statement online struck me as almost dismissive. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way. But maybe he’ll say more later. (He usually does  :-\ )

I felt the same...I read it and was like "wait... that's it???"

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2020, 05:46:03 PM »

I'm hoping that he's just taking time to process things. People definitely mourn in different ways, but given how DLR has appeared to be throughout his time in the spotlight It must be difficult to turn all that off in some fashion to express grief and the the loss of someone who clearly was a huge part of his life. Have to also consider the regrets of all the turmoil over time. I really hope they all managed to come to some peace before Eddie's passing.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2020, 05:49:45 PM »

well, DLR made a posting: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGBeQOCpuTf/
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2020, 05:52:39 PM »
He did but it's not very sympathetic. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2020, 06:03:33 PM »

well, DLR made a posting: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGBeQOCpuTf/

That is actually the post I was referencing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »
From Michael Schenker:

https://twitter.com/MW_Schenker/status/1313902807662178304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1313902807662178304%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.blabbermouth.net%2Fnews%2Fmichael-schenker-eddie-van-halen-was-a-complete-fantastic-all-around-amazing-guitarist%2F

"You were the BEST of our generation.
I am so sorry you have gone.
My condolences to your loved ones.
I miss you, but like my partner said to me: "You have gone to a better place."
Rest In Peace, my friend!"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2020, 05:23:51 AM »
Just listening to the Twister soundtrack instrumental Respect The Wind. I'd never heard it before but it's awesome. I've never heard a big emotional solo from Eddie before and always wondered at how he avoided flack for that - you know, the sort of flack Yngwie gets. All speed, no emotion. i always felt that about Eddie. his playing was awesome but where's the big emotional solo?

Yeah, I've found it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2020, 05:30:04 AM »
Probably because Eddie's playing is not all about showing what he can do. Yeah, there are those moments, but most of the time, the flashy things EVH does are in service of the songs (think for instance the intro to Hot for Teacher), whereas Yngwie is basically mostly just shredding away while disregarding proper songwriting. Michael Angelo Batio is an even bigger offender.

Also Van Halen's music is fun to listen to and it grooves. Most shred guitar nonsense I find boring.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2020, 06:02:49 AM »

I'd had no idea that they'd finally patched things up. It actually depressed me a LOT yesterday seeing Sammy's reaction and assuming that Eddie had died never fixing things up with him. This is a significant relief IMO.

Does anyone know if Eddie also patched things up with Michael Anthony?
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2020, 06:22:58 AM »
He took some shit (and ridicule) for the videos for these, but I actually dig them a LOT:

Catherine:  https://youtu.be/bPLW4sSY75Y
Rise: https://youtu.be/PFlrv9P05bA

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2020, 06:34:37 AM »
He took some shit (and ridicule) for the videos for these, but I actually dig them a LOT:

Was this the porno soundtrack I heard about?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2020, 06:57:13 AM »

Was this the porno soundtrack I heard about?

That's the one. I don't mind the music, but Eddie looked awful on those videos.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2020, 06:57:29 AM »
Does anyone know if Eddie also patched things up with Michael Anthony?
Haven't seen anything that confirms it beyond a doubt, but I would imagine that they had to some degree for a couple different reasons. For starters, because Eddie and Sammy made amends, and Sammy is tight with Michael and likely would've encouraged the amends to be made with Michael, too. Additionally, both Michael and Sammy have confirmed that Michael had been contacted by the VH camp about returning to do a big tour in 2019, which obviously never happened, rumored to be because of Eddie's health (which is probably a foregone conclusion now). I can't imagine that they would've asked Michael to come back if some resolution had not already been made between the two of them. I say that because it's seems from Eddie's viewpoint, Michael was expendable in the the first place, as evidence by him being replaced by Wolfie. That in contrast with having DLR come back, which was probably viewed as more of a "necessity" to make a big splash once again; still, even after the reunion began, it seems Eddie and DLR weren't friends but business partners.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.