Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172171 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #3220 on: October 31, 2023, 05:10:35 AM »
Spent the weekend playing Starfield and I totally get why people don't like it. It certainly doesn't work for what I want in this sort of game. Crafting is a key component in a Bethesda game, and it's pretty much nonexistent here. I dunno, maybe once I get to level 30 or something and spend a bunch of perk points I'll be able to improve weapons and armour, but at that point I'll be able to simply buy whatever I want and haven't found on my own. The fact that I can't take a scope off of one rifle and put it on an identical rifle is just fucking stupid. I'm tempted to park the game for now until the CK comes out and modders fix that (and it'll be one of the first things fixed, I reckon). Ship building is similarly worthless. Not being able to score good ship upgrades until later levels is one thing, I get it, but having to blow 10 or so perk points, as well, is just awful. Honestly, the perk wall they put up seems to be the biggest hindrance. In FO4 you had to invest points to craft things, but they only increased the quality of the mods, and mods were transferable. You could still, upgrade the receiver in a weapon, even if it wasn't that much more powerful.

As a shooter it's not bad, but that's honestly all it's got going for it right now. And in truth, it's a little too easy in that regard. I'll spend a minute or two hiding behind a crate shooting it out with a couple of guys, and then just decide "fuck it" and run straight at them with an axe. My armour is better than their weapon, if they even have one.

I rather like the ship mechanics, but again, I'm 20 levels away from being able to upgrade the reactor, so that's quickly running its course. It just seems like all of the good stuff is deferred so long it won't really be useful by the time you get to it. I'm having a fair amount of fun playing, but it's really quite empty, to be honest.
Yeah, this all makes sense. I've shelved the game for the time being. I'm also waiting for the CK. Then the real fun can begin. Even though a lot of the systems Bethesda put in place in this game are kind of head-scratching, I think modders will have a field day with all the new capabilities of the updated Creation Engine. I'm still cautiously optimistic.

I mostly played vanilla Bethesda games and have always had a great time. Starfield is the first one where the progression and some of the core design decisions just kinda suck. If I need to spend hours fixing their game and tinkering it to my liking, I will play something else. In previous titles I always felt rewarded for exploring and levelling, in Starfield not.

I think the shooting and the design of the shooting arenas is great. I also like the setting and art direction. The rest if the game is not so good and it started wearing on me.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3221 on: October 31, 2023, 05:20:42 AM »
anyone else playing Dave the Diver? super great fun!

I love Dave The Diver. I picked it up to play on the steam deck when I travel and it immediately got it's hooks in me. The amount of gameplay mechanics really surprised. It's a blast to play.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3222 on: October 31, 2023, 09:57:30 AM »
Spent the weekend playing Starfield and I totally get why people don't like it. It certainly doesn't work for what I want in this sort of game. Crafting is a key component in a Bethesda game, and it's pretty much nonexistent here. I dunno, maybe once I get to level 30 or something and spend a bunch of perk points I'll be able to improve weapons and armour, but at that point I'll be able to simply buy whatever I want and haven't found on my own. The fact that I can't take a scope off of one rifle and put it on an identical rifle is just fucking stupid. I'm tempted to park the game for now until the CK comes out and modders fix that (and it'll be one of the first things fixed, I reckon). Ship building is similarly worthless. Not being able to score good ship upgrades until later levels is one thing, I get it, but having to blow 10 or so perk points, as well, is just awful. Honestly, the perk wall they put up seems to be the biggest hindrance. In FO4 you had to invest points to craft things, but they only increased the quality of the mods, and mods were transferable. You could still, upgrade the receiver in a weapon, even if it wasn't that much more powerful.

As a shooter it's not bad, but that's honestly all it's got going for it right now. And in truth, it's a little too easy in that regard. I'll spend a minute or two hiding behind a crate shooting it out with a couple of guys, and then just decide "fuck it" and run straight at them with an axe. My armour is better than their weapon, if they even have one.

I rather like the ship mechanics, but again, I'm 20 levels away from being able to upgrade the reactor, so that's quickly running its course. It just seems like all of the good stuff is deferred so long it won't really be useful by the time you get to it. I'm having a fair amount of fun playing, but it's really quite empty, to be honest.
Yeah, this all makes sense. I've shelved the game for the time being. I'm also waiting for the CK. Then the real fun can begin. Even though a lot of the systems Bethesda put in place in this game are kind of head-scratching, I think modders will have a field day with all the new capabilities of the updated Creation Engine. I'm still cautiously optimistic.

I mostly played vanilla Bethesda games and have always had a great time. Starfield is the first one where the progression and some of the core design decisions just kinda suck. If I need to spend hours fixing their game and tinkering it to my liking, I will play something else. In previous titles I always felt rewarded for exploring and levelling, in Starfield not.

I think the shooting and the design of the shooting arenas is great. I also like the setting and art direction. The rest if the game is not so good and it started wearing on me.
I'm kind of in between the two concepts. I played vanilla Skryim at first and enjoyed it immensely. Rarely do I see modding as a means of "fixing" something, though there are a couple of instances. Mostly I just see it as making it more to my liking, as no game manufacturer will ever make a game that's exactly what I want in all things. As you said, they made some dodgy decisions, but I think that was mostly an attempt to balance the game as they saw fit. That's not something I think needs to be fixed, but it is a hindrance to what I want out of one of their games.

My hunch is that they want people playing the long game here. In other Beth games by the time you got into the mid sixties you were essentially godlike. I think they wanted that pushed back a ways in Starfield, as there is no cap, and apparently you'd need to get into the three hundred range to max everything out. The problem is that without that by walling off so many things they've made the game nowhere near fun enough to reach that point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3223 on: October 31, 2023, 11:39:43 AM »
You also have to complete challenges to level up, so you can't just say dump 4 points right away into something.  You'll have to do it one at a time and come back once you do the challenge.  In some ways I like it, but in other ways, it's a hinderance to the way I want to play. Not a big deal mostly for me, but something to add to the idea of them wanting you to dump hours into the game.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3224 on: November 01, 2023, 03:39:29 AM »

I'm kind of in between the two concepts. I played vanilla Skryim at first and enjoyed it immensely. Rarely do I see modding as a means of "fixing" something, though there are a couple of instances. Mostly I just see it as making it more to my liking, as no game manufacturer will ever make a game that's exactly what I want in all things. As you said, they made some dodgy decisions, but I think that was mostly an attempt to balance the game as they saw fit. That's not something I think needs to be fixed, but it is a hindrance to what I want out of one of their games.

My hunch is that they want people playing the long game here. In other Beth games by the time you got into the mid sixties you were essentially godlike. I think they wanted that pushed back a ways in Starfield, as there is no cap, and apparently you'd need to get into the three hundred range to max everything out. The problem is that without that by walling off so many things they've made the game nowhere near fun enough to reach that point.

My whole problem with that system is that you don't really get to engage with the systems. I wanted to improve my weapons with crafting, but you have to splunge a whole lot of points into a skill tree to even get to the first point of weapon improvement. So no crafting for me. Then I unlocked an awesome ship in a questline. Wanted to use it, but nope, need max pilot level. Guess what, at the rate that is going I get to use it in new game plus. So that is a nope from me. The game is just filled with this stuff. Previous Bethesda games just let you do whatever and have fun.

To be fair, I feel mods can easily fix this part (and like other Bethesda games, Starfield will get mods on consoles). But my stance remains the same, for me it is a good base game or bust. There are more games out there that are good than that I will ever get the time to play. In the time I spent optimizing/tinkering on games (which I did in the past), I can complete an excellent indie title like Stray or Cocoon or do a fun questline in a good RPG.

Offline krands85

« Reply #3225 on: November 01, 2023, 07:52:50 AM »
My whole problem with that system is that you don't really get to engage with the systems. I wanted to improve my weapons with crafting, but you have to splunge a whole lot of points into a skill tree to even get to the first point of weapon improvement. So no crafting for me. Then I unlocked an awesome ship in a questline. Wanted to use it, but nope, need max pilot level. Guess what, at the rate that is going I get to use it in new game plus. So that is a nope from me. The game is just filled with this stuff. Previous Bethesda games just let you do whatever and have fun.
It's especially annoying how some things require skill points invested in separate skills to get the full range of options. For example, to unlock all the spacesuit or weapon mods, not only do you have to put points in to those skills, but also some into a separate 'special projects' skill.

I've just started trying to upgrade my ship and it seems like it's the same thing again. I can't put B or C tier weapons/modules on my ship until I upgrade my piloting skill, but then there's another separate skill you also need to level up to get access to more parts. Oh and then there's also the fact some parts are also locked behind your player XP level too.

I suppose as someone mentioned above, it's their way of trying to balance the game so you you don't become OP too quickly, but it's a bit frustrating. Especially when I've put over 100 hours in to the game and I'm still only level 37 or something  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3226 on: November 01, 2023, 08:14:38 AM »
I suppose as someone mentioned above, it's their way of trying to balance the game so you you don't become OP too quickly, but it's a bit frustrating. Especially when I've put over 100 hours in to the game and I'm still only level 37 or something  :lol
What exactly are you doing in the game then?  I feel like I've read a lot of people on reddit who put a ton of hours into the game and are low leveled.

I feel like I was getting 1 level per hour played, likely slightly less.  I did focus more on quests though.  I just feel like everything you do gains you some xp so leveling up, from my thoughts, didn't seem so difficult or time consuming.  Of course that doesn't change the rest of your post.  It's still a pain to max level abilities and what you want out of your character.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3227 on: November 01, 2023, 09:21:35 AM »
Yet another reason to wait a while before diving into Beth games is for the respective wiki to get properly compiled. There's a whole lot of stuff that the game doesn't explain, and while reddit has been a wealth of information, it's a lot easier to have a wiki that'll provide you with detailed stats and whatnot. I suppose the stats are another thing that'll have to wait for the CK to be released.

I got the Mantis ship last night (awful quest, BTW, too many trial and error bits), and then discovered a whole nuther area of shipbuilding that I actually do have access to, so pretty much scrapped it save for a few parts I wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

Another issue I'm running into is storage space. After a quest or two I can have 10k+ credits worth of discarded weapons, but no way to actually get them to somebody to sell. Moreover, I'm trying to stockpile resources on the off chance that I actually do get to craft some stuff, and that's also a PITA.

As for balancing, IIRC FOV had a perk (or several) that allowed you to get bonus XP, or perhaps more perk points. Something like that would help here. It's not like you can just focus entirely on research and crafting while ignoring the necessities, so building a complete character will take a ridiculous amount of time. Shitty game to be a polymath in.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline krands85

« Reply #3228 on: November 01, 2023, 09:26:57 AM »
What exactly are you doing in the game then?  I feel like I've read a lot of people on reddit who put a ton of hours into the game and are low leveled.

I feel like I was getting 1 level per hour played, likely slightly less.  I did focus more on quests though.  I just feel like everything you do gains you some xp so leveling up, from my thoughts, didn't seem so difficult or time consuming.  Of course that doesn't change the rest of your post.  It's still a pain to max level abilities and what you want out of your character.
I'm just pretty slow in general, so I suppose I bring a lot of the frustrations on myself  :lol But I feel like I waste a lot of time messing around with looting and inventory management - especially early on. I spent a lot of time gathering resources and ferrying them back to the lodge with the infinite storage box. This was mostly worth it though, as almost every time I went to research a project or craft something, I had the resources and didn't have to go searching for one specific thing, I'd collected it at some point in course of playing.

Even if I'm clearing out a basic outpost on a side mission though, I tend to take my time and don't rush in case I miss anything. I need to alter the way I play again, otherwise I'll never finish the game!

Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline krands85

« Reply #3229 on: November 01, 2023, 09:31:09 AM »
As for balancing, IIRC FOV had a perk (or several) that allowed you to get bonus XP, or perhaps more perk points. Something like that would help here. It's not like you can just focus entirely on research and crafting while ignoring the necessities, so building a complete character will take a ridiculous amount of time. Shitty game to be a polymath in.
That would be nice. I try to sleep regularly for the XP boost, but by the time you've finished a certain mission it may have worn off.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3230 on: November 01, 2023, 09:34:39 AM »
Yeah it's a bit annoying that the vendors only have a small amount of cash to usually sell to you and it's a time consumer to sleep for 24 hours to refresh it.  I'd just make it a point every time I docked to grab some shit off my shit to sell.  Of course I have a stock pile on the floor of my ship that is just too much to sell.  Oh well.  It's part of the adjustment to the looting in this game compared to other bethesda games.  It's just not really worth it to loot everything, but old habits die hard.

I'm just pretty slow in general, so I suppose I bring a lot of the frustrations on myself  :lol But I feel like I waste a lot of time messing around with looting and inventory management - especially early on. I spent a lot of time gathering resources and ferrying them back to the lodge with the infinite storage box. This was mostly worth it though, as almost every time I went to research a project or craft something, I had the resources and didn't have to go searching for one specific thing, I'd collected it at some point in course of playing.

Even if I'm clearing out a basic outpost on a side mission though, I tend to take my time and don't rush in case I miss anything. I need to alter the way I play again, otherwise I'll never finish the game!

I didn't realize the lodge had an infinite storage box.  I guess that's at least a bit more organized than everything on the floor of the ship, but also a bit less convenient.  I'm sure a mod exists or will exist to just have an infinite box on your ship. That would be the best solution, otherwise they just shouldn't even exist in the game.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3231 on: November 01, 2023, 09:47:38 AM »
Yeah it's a bit annoying that the vendors only have a small amount of cash to usually sell to you and it's a time consumer to sleep for 24 hours to refresh it.  I'd just make it a point every time I docked to grab some shit off my shit to sell.  Of course I have a stock pile on the floor of my ship that is just too much to sell.  Oh well.  It's part of the adjustment to the looting in this game compared to other bethesda games.  It's just not really worth it to loot everything, but old habits die hard.

I didn't realize the lodge had an infinite storage box.  I guess that's at least a bit more organized than everything on the floor of the ship, but also a bit less convenient.  I'm sure a mod exists or will exist to just have an infinite box on your ship. That would be the best solution, otherwise they just shouldn't even exist in the game.
Yeah, I knocked around just tossing everything on the floor of the ship,* but I'll never, ever get it cleaned up. I get not having infinite storage on your ship from a role playing standpoint, but it really is a PITA. And lugging everything to The Lodge is even worse. I built an outpost the other night, and I'll likely work on building a better one someplace nice and convenient, but even that's a poor solution. There's no infinite container for outposts, so you have to build dozens of smaller ones linked together, and getting stuff sorted to them is also a PITA. 

And I've taken to disregarding most of the stuff, but you have to pick up weapons for the ammo, and they actually have decent resale value. My biggest issue is with the amount of worthless clutter that your scanner picks up. You still want to look for resources and decent equipment, but you point that thing in any direction and there are 30 worthless things lighting up for every one thing you want. New mod idea: blacklist items in your scanner.

*In Skyrim, I collect all the crap I can carry and whenever I'm in Solitude I scatter it all over Radiant Raiment. By level 30 I want that place knee deep in goat's legs and horker tusks. It's become something of a quest to see how much garbage I can pack into the place. Seriously, fuck that grouchy elf bitch.

E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3232 on: November 01, 2023, 10:51:26 AM »
I feel like some of the best Starfield videos I've seen are the cases of people collecting massive amounts of some random object and showing how well the physics work.  So, in some ways, my ship of stored parts is kind of amusing, it's also just stupid.

This was back in Fallout 4 when I collected Nuka Colas, nothing extravacant like you see today, but the collecting of shit in these games is rooted deeply in a lot of us  :lol

Offline krands85

« Reply #3233 on: November 01, 2023, 12:35:02 PM »
There's the safe in your room, but then also a small box on the table behind the research station in the basement. That's the more useful one, as it's right next to the crafting/researching tables. Having one on your ship would be perfect (though it would take me a while to transport everything I've got stored at the Lodge back to my ship!), or you could also do what I've seen a few people do and build a massive cargo ship:

Probably not the most nimble vessel though :lol

And I've taken to disregarding most of the stuff, but you have to pick up weapons for the ammo, and they actually have decent resale value. My biggest issue is with the amount of worthless clutter that your scanner picks up. You still want to look for resources and decent equipment, but you point that thing in any direction and there are 30 worthless things lighting up for every one thing you want. New mod idea: blacklist items in your scanner.
You can pick up the ammo from corpses separately if you don't want to take the gun, that's how I do it since I got tired of collecting stuff to sell. But yes, that would definitely be one of the first mods I'd get. I may take a break from the game for a while and wait for console mod support.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3234 on: November 01, 2023, 01:02:12 PM »
You can pick up the ammo from corpses separately if you don't want to take the gun, that's how I do it since I got tired of collecting stuff to sell. But yes, that would definitely be one of the first mods I'd get. I may take a break from the game for a while and wait for console mod support.
I'm not doubting you, but is that confirmed? In FO4 corpses had ammo on them separate from what was in their weapon. Early game I'd always be running out of ammo because I'd gotten used to disregarding cheap pipe guns. I actually mean to look into that and forgot.
E.F. Benson

Offline krands85

« Reply #3235 on: November 01, 2023, 03:43:44 PM »
I'm not doubting you, but is that confirmed? In FO4 corpses had ammo on them separate from what was in their weapon. Early game I'd always be running out of ammo because I'd gotten used to disregarding cheap pipe guns. I actually mean to look into that and forgot.
Oh apologies, I somehow thought you just didn't realise you could pick up the separate ammo instead of the gun :facepalm: I just did a quick test and it seems you do get a small amount of ammo from picking up the gun itself, in addition to the separate ammo from their inventory. If you then drop the gun, you also keep any of the ammo that was in it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3236 on: November 01, 2023, 04:49:43 PM »
Oh apologies, I somehow thought you just didn't realise you could pick up the separate ammo instead of the gun :facepalm: I just did a quick test and it seems you do get a small amount of ammo from picking up the gun itself, in addition to the separate ammo from their inventory. If you then drop the gun, you also keep any of the ammo that was in it.
No problem. That's the mechanic from FO4. You keep whatever was in the weapon itself, which could be upwards of 40 rounds with a proper mag, and they'd have spare ammo on their persons. Early on that would matter, but of course by the time you really get loaded up with ammo the weapons it works for had essentially become obsolete (or in FO4, at least, you were cranking out .45 rounds a K at a time at your ammo plant).
E.F. Benson

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3237 on: November 02, 2023, 02:56:22 AM »
I feel like some of the best Starfield videos I've seen are the cases of people collecting massive amounts of some random object and showing how well the physics work.  So, in some ways, my ship of stored parts is kind of amusing, it's also just stupid.

This was back in Fallout 4 when I collected Nuka Colas, nothing extravacant like you see today, but the collecting of shit in these games is rooted deeply in a lot of us  :lol

The physics are very impressive and when shooting sometimes a lot of objects interact with each other. But honestly, they don't use it in their gamedesign at all. Games like Half-Life 2 had physics puzzles back in the day, for example. And recent examples are the modern Zelda titles. They put so much resources into physics/object permanence. And they basically kneecaps their game around every corner with lot's of small rooms and loading times because of it. That would all be fine if they made a good case why, but they don't. Even Elder Scrolls 4 in 2006 had more gameplay mechanics using physics (with the traps in dungeons).

Same goes for the ship mechanics. It actually feels really good and the customization is good. But the game barely uses it. All shootouts are on a very small scale (a couple of ships tops). And there is no reason whatsoever to actually fly around, because the game consists of small zones which usually have only one or no point of interest where you can fly towards. Your ship is kind of a limited hub inbetween menus and loading screens. And that is by their design, there is absolutely no exploration in ships, it all takes places from the starmap menu.

In general I feel how Starfield is designed is very much at odds with the core concepts/aims of the game. And for me the shooting and general atmosphere only got so far in my enjoyment. I did enjoy it more than FFXVI this year, but also feels like a disappointment ultimately.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3238 on: November 02, 2023, 08:21:15 AM »
Yeah not implementing a lot of not just the game physics, but a lot of what the game even offers into all the missions (and OK, maybe they do and I just haven't played those missions) seems like a missed opportunity.  In the end, the missions all feel the same besides some of the bigger ones.  But even then, a lot of those just feel like the same ole same ole from playing Fallout/Skyrim and even games like GTA (fetch missions for example).  That's a big reason why I stopped playing.  My gf actually commented last night "are you going to finish Starfield" "probably not"

I still think the game overall was pretty good.  It also just worked without tons of bugs unlike previous Bethesda games.  Personally, I like the single open world better.  I have no desire to explore planets in this game.  There's too many and most of them aren't interesting.  I don't feel like there's this huge universe because of it either.  I think the spaceship stuff is all pretty cool though even if I never once customized my ship.  I just spend way too much time doing cut scenes to get in/out of my ship than I'd really desire.  It gets very tiring playing this way. 

I definitely feel like all of these things Bethesda has done better can make for an awfully good Fallout 5 though, sadly probably not for another 5 years at least  :lol by then who knows, maybe I won't even care for a Bethesda game, I'm getting old and these games are getting tiring quicker and quicker for me each release.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3239 on: November 02, 2023, 09:18:48 AM »
I've actually run into a few bugs all of a sudden, mostly once I started working on my colony. Resources would up and disappear on me. "It's a bug. Save and reload." Workstations would stop allowing me to work on them. "It's a bug. Save and reload." My ship would never land on my ginormous launch pad with a service console. "It's a bug. Use the console to change your home ship away and back." Yep, definitely Bethesda.

That said, I actually have been enjoying ship building. What they should have incorporated, though, is some sort of simulator. Testing things out is a tiresome bother. Not only that, you can't even see the inside of the hab modules, so those are also trial and error. It seems the best trick is to complete a quest line just to get a ship with the part you want on it, and then mod everything but that part. Unfortunately, since you can't move parts from one ship to another (thanks, Todd) you have to do it for the part you most want. Looks like I'm off to do the FC missions, just to get the ship, just to get the reactor.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3240 on: November 02, 2023, 09:24:20 AM »
I never built a colony to run into those bugs, nor built a ship.

What I remembered in fallout 4 was that building my own settlement meant nothing towards the game, and Starfield seems no different so I never bothered spending my time with that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3241 on: November 02, 2023, 09:32:51 AM »
I never built a colony to run into those bugs, nor built a ship.

What I remembered in fallout 4 was that building my own settlement meant nothing towards the game, and Starfield seems no different so I never bothered spending my time with that.
Different playing styles, for sure. I was far more interested in building colonies and upgrading stuff than the actual story missions. By the time I even bothered going to the Institute for the first time I was a gazillionaire with far better equipment than anything they had to offer. I wouldn't go near that awful island were it not for the marine armour, and the Railroad are a bunch of grade A morons, who happen to have access to ballistic weave (which saves me from having to go to the Island). Missions are generally a means to an end for me.

I'm trying to do the same thing here, but damn, Todd's making it hard to do.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3242 on: November 02, 2023, 09:45:00 AM »
There's just too many missions, for me, to want to hold off.  I used to always do that, do every side quest possible before the main one.  But it kind of makes no sense for me these days.  The side quests go on forever basically.  There's always something to do.  So I felt it best to hit the main quest often so that I felt rewarded for my playing, and therefore getting lots of XP and doing, what I felt like, was the most important part of the game, the main story.  I understand that's different for everyone.  I just don't see the point in building things in this game other than to explore what the game has to offer.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3243 on: November 08, 2023, 10:40:11 PM »
The first trailer for GTA 6 will be revealed in early december.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3244 on: November 09, 2023, 08:55:45 AM »
Where's it set? I don't care about it, but as an old school fan of the franchise I'm still curious.

Word around the campfire is that VI has been finished for quite some time. R* has simply had no reason to release it as so many people are still playing V, and giving R* boatloads of money to do so. Revenue decreased in 2022, and it still made them 800m.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3245 on: November 09, 2023, 09:06:15 AM »
Where's it set? I don't care about it, but as an old school fan of the franchise I'm still curious.

Word around the campfire is that VI has been finished for quite some time. R* has simply had no reason to release it as so many people are still playing V, and giving R* boatloads of money to do so. Revenue decreased in 2022, and it still made them 800m.

And that's why I refuse to play GTA5 (nothing against the game itself)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3246 on: November 09, 2023, 06:26:08 PM »
I was under the impression that it was going to be vice city again, but don't quote me.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3247 on: November 09, 2023, 07:39:43 PM »

How long has it been supposedly finished?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3248 on: November 09, 2023, 07:57:36 PM »

A playable version or source code or something along those lines leaked, what....last year?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3249 on: November 09, 2023, 08:08:02 PM »

A playable version or source code or something along those lines leaked, what....last year?

I'm thinking of "finished" as in ready for release.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3250 on: November 09, 2023, 11:31:42 PM »

This was mostly speculation, as there was simply no reason for them to release it yet. There's really no reason to release it now given how much money V continues to bring in, and they run the risk of screwing that up. That said, it was far more than source code that was leaked. There was quite a bit of gameplay footage leaked last year. That doesn't mean that it was finished, but it was clearly a functional game.
E.F. Benson

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3251 on: November 10, 2023, 06:04:14 AM »

This was mostly speculation, as there was simply no reason for them to release it yet. There's really no reason to release it now given how much money V continues to bring in, and they run the risk of screwing that up. That said, it was far more than source code that was leaked. There was quite a bit of gameplay footage leaked last year. That doesn't mean that it was finished, but it was clearly a functional game.

I was reading a little about that leak last night. Some 17-year-old kid from somewhere in the UK ended up going to trial. I don't remember hearing about that last year and I usually check a couple of game sites every day. Did anyone here get to see any of the game footage?

I like GTA but I'm not really hyped about the 6th. I'm sure I'll play it eventually but damn, it takes a long time for those games to go on sale for cheap. For the longest time, 50% off was the best I saw for GTA 5.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3252 on: November 10, 2023, 06:06:39 AM »
I got GTA V free at the Epic store. That was kinda the trigger to upgrade my PC 😆 when my current setup couldn't even get the game started on the lowest of lowest settings..
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3253 on: November 10, 2023, 06:35:32 AM »

That could make sense but I don't know if I buy it. GTAVI will most likely set sales records for the franchise like GTAV did. From the leaks I would imagine that R* spent a lot of time polishing the game and it's mechanics (which seem absolutely nuts). Red Dead 2  took 8 years to develop, I imagine the scoop of GTAVI is much greater.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3254 on: November 10, 2023, 09:28:23 AM »

I was reading a little about that leak last night. Some 17-year-old kid from somewhere in the UK ended up going to trial. I don't remember hearing about that last year and I usually check a couple of game sites every day. Did anyone here get to see any of the game footage?

I like GTA but I'm not really hyped about the 6th. I'm sure I'll play it eventually but damn, it takes a long time for those games to go on sale for cheap. For the longest time, 50% off was the best I saw for GTA 5.

I could be wrong, but as far as I know any actual gameplay footage you see online from more than a week ago is the leaked footage from last year. About the best I can say about it is that since you're forced to play in 3P, making one of the PCs a chick with a nice ass was an inspired move on their part.

I bought V the day it was released (my birthday, as I recall, so it was Bday money, and I got RDR for free with it (which I never played)). It also helped that I was laid up after the kidney business, so I was a captive audience. When I wrapped it up I was pretty much done with it forever, and that pretty much extends to the franchise. It stopped being the GTA I wanted a long time ago. My hunch is that VI is simply V in a different setting and a little better polished. Gameplay will the same since it's such a good model for them. The story will be different, but does anybody actually play GTA for the stories anymore? In the end it'll still be geared towards spending 10 years doing heists, I guess.
E.F. Benson