Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172092 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #3115 on: September 12, 2023, 09:08:44 AM »
I am quite hooked on Starfield. I think the game (and it's marketing) makes it very easy for people to be disappointed or dislike it, but there is tons of content that I think is legitimately great.

I haven't paid much attention to any of the preview stuff. How as the game marketed? I assumed it was going to be a typical Bethesda game in space. I'm a fan of almost all of their games.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3116 on: September 12, 2023, 01:03:09 PM »
I didn't pay super close attention to the marketing, but I think it was the typical Todd Howard "You can seamlessly explore over 1000 planets in space" when in actuality it's more like "You can explore very small, repetitive sections of 1000 planets in space... Oh and you have to fast travel everywhere". :lol

Honestly, I think most people kind of saw this coming, especially if you're familiar with Bethesda. I don't think the marketing was that bad. But there will always be people who read through this stuff with their lawyers and then get pissed. :\
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3117 on: September 12, 2023, 01:08:33 PM »
I didn't pay super close attention to the marketing, but I think it was the typical Todd Howard "You can seamlessly explore over 1000 planets in space" when in actuality it's more like "You can explore very small, repetitive sections of 1000 planets in space... Oh and you have to fast travel everywhere". :lol

Honestly, I think most people kind of saw this coming, especially if you're familiar with Bethesda. I don't think the marketing was that bad. But there will always be people who read through this stuff with their lawyers and then get pissed. :\

If any of those people were paying attention to No Man's Sky, Anthem, Fallout 76, & Cyberpunk 2077 then it's their fault for falling for the bullshit marketing. I almost never watch those long demo/hype/preview videos...and fuck pre-ordering. I can wait a day or two after the release date for video reviews. I rarely buy games right when they come out regardless. I think Ghost of Tsushima was the last one I bought on release day.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3118 on: September 13, 2023, 04:48:07 AM »
20 years of Steam, then! Although I didn't activate my first game until 15 October 2004. And that was the Half-Life Platinum Pack which was apparently complimentary. Coincidentally, that was also the year I saw DT live for the first time. 17 January, Hammersmith Odeon, and that also happened to be my birthday.

Anyway, I'd be lost without Steam now. And although it was a change at first, it's great not to have game boxes everywhere. I do miss those proper game manuals, though!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3119 on: September 13, 2023, 06:26:43 AM »
Steam is the shit. I can't believe it's been 20 years, I remember downloading HL2 on it. Back then I was sour because I thought "no way digital downloading of games will ever take off" :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3120 on: September 13, 2023, 06:39:32 AM »
Yes, and I felt like I wasn't getting something tangible for my money back then! Adapted pretty quickly, though.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online faizoff

« Reply #3121 on: September 13, 2023, 06:47:35 AM »
20 years of Steam, then! Although I didn't activate my first game until 15 October 2004. And that was the Half-Life Platinum Pack which was apparently complimentary. Coincidentally, that was also the year I saw DT live for the first time. 17 January, Hammersmith Odeon, and that also happened to be my birthday.

Anyway, I'd be lost without Steam now. And although it was a change at first, it's great not to have game boxes everywhere. I do miss those proper game manuals, though!

I just looked and I had my Steam account created in May 2008. I thought I had created it much earlier, probably did too as I had several accounts in the beginning for whatever reason. I got it for Half Life 2 and I think a  bunch of other mods, they were so much fun. Back when you could play games on a basic $40 video card.

I too was at that DT concert and it was my first one as well! I was in Uni at the time and lived in London. Had a great time waiting to get inside, the crowd was so much fun, kept singing songs with Spirit Carries on being the highlight. People in the line were so cool and friendly. Great setlist too, I remember the Voices UK fan club being there
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3122 on: September 14, 2023, 09:00:23 PM »
Logged on to Steam to see when I signed up, not sure where that info is, but got distracted by the red banner at the top that says: Steam will stop running on Windows 7 in 108 days.

Just found it: May 07, 2014. Wonder what my first game was, I honestly have no idea.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3123 on: September 14, 2023, 09:04:19 PM »
Logged on to Steam to see when I signed up, not sure where that info is, but got distracted by the red banner at the top that says: Steam will stop running on Windows 7 in 108 days.

Just found it: May 07, 2014. Wonder what my first game was, I honestly have no idea.

How do you find your sign up date? I think mine was some time in 2005.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3124 on: September 14, 2023, 09:14:24 PM »
Go to your profile and go to your badges, it will show the number of years you've been signed up. Hover over that and it will give you the exact date.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3125 on: September 14, 2023, 09:17:58 PM »
Go to your profile and go to your badges, it will show the number of years you've been signed up. Hover over that and it will give you the exact date.

Thanks, mang. September 15 2005. I was a wee young herrick at 24.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3126 on: September 14, 2023, 10:10:45 PM »
I made my Steam account way back on January 8th, 2005
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3127 on: September 15, 2023, 08:52:53 AM »
Member since July 10, 2008.

I guess that coincides when I built my first PC after college living back at my parents basement.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3128 on: September 15, 2023, 09:13:23 AM »
Member since July 10, 2008.

I guess that coincides when I built my first PC after college living back at my parents basement.

I had to have a co-worker build mine but it was nice to have a desktop PC for PC games after going almost 2 years without one.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3129 on: September 15, 2023, 09:20:47 AM »
November 19th 2004, 3 days after HL2 was released.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3130 on: September 15, 2023, 09:27:33 AM »

Was Steam required for Half Life 2? I do not remember.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3131 on: September 15, 2023, 09:36:53 AM »

Was Steam required for Half Life 2? I do not remember.

I'm quite sure that was the introduction of steam and it was bundled together that way.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3132 on: September 15, 2023, 09:58:23 AM »
Yep. HL2 and VtM:Bloodlines were the first two games to require it. Big controversy at the time.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3133 on: September 15, 2023, 10:25:39 AM »
Yep. HL2 and VtM:Bloodlines were the first two games to require it. Big controversy at the time.

I didn't know Bloodlines was even a Steam game back then.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3134 on: September 15, 2023, 12:44:46 PM »
Yeah it was the first third party source engine game.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3135 on: September 15, 2023, 01:10:17 PM »
Yeah it was the first third party source engine game.

For some reason, I didn't play that game until 2008 or so. I liked and beat Redemption but I didn't know about Bloodlines when it came out. Strange  ???

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3136 on: September 15, 2023, 07:04:48 PM »

Oh yea, that brings me back

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3137 on: September 18, 2023, 11:15:58 AM »
Got like 7 hours of Starfield gameplay in over the last few days. 

Definitely a Bethesda game.  I feel like knowing how this plays out really helped me get through a few of these early missions as I just felt like I already knew what to do.

Game definitely struggles to perform well on my PC.  It does however still look pretty good. 

Honestly had a blast.  There's just so much to do and while it's very similar to Fallout/Skyrim, it feels enough of its own.  I guess it also helps that it's been what, 5 years since I last played Fallout?

I created a super ugly old lady looking character and picked the option to start the game where I can visit my parents.  My mom looks just as ugly with the same facial features!  :lol I was dying when I saw this, sadly, I didn't record video of my gameplay but I did take a few pictures so I was able to share it: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8juFw1s/

Now I just need to deal with that feeling that all I want to do is play the game, and yet, I need to deal with the rest of life.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3138 on: September 18, 2023, 11:58:15 AM »
Has anyone played Baldur's Gate 3 for PS5? If so, worth it if you're a long time BG fan?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3139 on: September 18, 2023, 11:58:57 AM »
has anyone heard the BG3 on Switch rumor? i hope it's true
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3140 on: September 18, 2023, 12:14:29 PM »

Definitely a Bethesda game.  I feel like knowing how this plays out really helped me get through a few of these early missions as I just felt like I already knew what to do.

Game definitely struggles to perform well on my PC.  It does however still look pretty good. 

Honestly had a blast.  There's just so much to do and while it's very similar to Fallout/Skyrim, it feels enough of its own.  I guess it also helps that it's been what, 5 years since I last played Fallout?

I created a super ugly old lady looking character and picked the option to start the game where I can visit my parents.  My mom looks just as ugly with the same facial features!  :lol I was dying when I saw this, sadly, I didn't record video of my gameplay but I did take a few pictures so I was able to share it: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8juFw1s/

Now I just need to deal with that feeling that all I want to do is play the game, and yet, I need to deal with the rest of life.
You playing in 4k or something? I recall you built a monster gaming machine a while back.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3141 on: September 18, 2023, 12:19:41 PM »

You playing in 4k or something? I recall you built a monster gaming machine a while back.

I have a 2k monitor.  3070 card, but my AMD (forget the model) CPU is my bottle neck.  I don't think that matters too much though, the game just doesn't perform well for high FPS.  My understanding is the same for much higher end specs than what I have. It's not the end of the world, just wish it were a bit smoother even when I set all everything to low quality.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3142 on: September 18, 2023, 01:08:30 PM »

I have a 2k monitor.  3070 card, but my AMD (forget the model) CPU is my bottle neck.  I don't think that matters too much though, the game just doesn't perform well for high FPS.  My understanding is the same for much higher end specs than what I have. It's not the end of the world, just wish it were a bit smoother even when I set all everything to low quality.
Does DLSS help? I understand there's a mod to enable it now. I'm kinda curious as I'll be installing it before too terribly long. That said, I'll be playing at a quarter of your resolution, so it probably won't be an issue.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3143 on: September 18, 2023, 01:17:38 PM »
I saw there was a mod for it (it's not in the base game still), but I read it doesn't change much at all. 

Funny enough, my brother's PC which is specced below the minimum values can still play it.  So I guess that's a positive.  It's really just not optimized for high end PCs at the moment.  It's OK, it still looks pretty good, it's just noticeable that I'm not getting high FPS. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3144 on: September 18, 2023, 01:48:08 PM »
I saw there was a mod for it (it's not in the base game still), but I read it doesn't change much at all. 

Funny enough, my brother's PC which is specced below the minimum values can still play it.  So I guess that's a positive.  It's really just not optimized for high end PCs at the moment.  It's OK, it still looks pretty good, it's just noticeable that I'm not getting high FPS.
What constitutes high FPS for you? I know it's locked at 60, which is common for Beth (and fine by me). For my part anything above 30 is A-OK, so long as it's steady. I don't notice lower frame rates, but I notice fluctuations immediately, regardless of the FPS. If it would work I'd hard lock mine to 30 just for that stability, but frame locking Beth games causes all sorts of irrational behaviour out of the Creation engine.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3145 on: September 18, 2023, 02:16:41 PM »

What constitutes high FPS for you? I know it's locked at 60, which is common for Beth (and fine by me). For my part anything above 30 is A-OK, so long as it's steady. I don't notice lower frame rates, but I notice fluctuations immediately, regardless of the FPS. If it would work I'd hard lock mine to 30 just for that stability, but frame locking Beth games causes all sorts of irrational behaviour out of the Creation engine.

30 FPS kind of sucks for me since I'm use to ~90 when I play COD. 30 seems to be where I'm landing here.  It's certainly playable and fine, just noticeable. Like if I just stand still, the world looks incredible, once the I start moving, we get 30 fps and it looks jittery at times.  I think by hour 7 I didn't even notice, but my eyes struggled a bit adjusting to the lower FPS. It's possible my settings need further adjustment, but by everything I've seen, it's just not a high performing game right now.  I'm not trying to shit on it, I think this is well known for Bethesda, I recall Fallout 4 not being optimal either.  I just think there's a lot of room for improvement here, but it doesn't change how I feel about the actual game, which I'm loving. 

Also, there's SO many things the game doesn't show you (like that you can focus your laser cutter to mine much quicker) that I'm learning from tiktoks.  The depth of the game is incredible. I did see there was a mod for removing the limit on your ship building so some people have these incredible custom space ships.  I'd love to build something like that.  I haven't even bothered with ship building yet, I'm OK with the starter ship for now.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3146 on: September 18, 2023, 02:33:38 PM »
30 is tolerable for PvE games. Anything competitive is a pain in the arse at that frame rate.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3147 on: September 18, 2023, 02:34:34 PM »
Has anyone played Baldur's Gate 3 for PS5? If so, worth it if you're a long time BG fan?

If you are a BG fan, or a fan of RPGs in general, definitely.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3148 on: September 18, 2023, 03:15:54 PM »

30 FPS kind of sucks for me since I'm use to ~90 when I play COD. 30 seems to be where I'm landing here.  It's certainly playable and fine, just noticeable. Like if I just stand still, the world looks incredible, once the I start moving, we get 30 fps and it looks jittery at times.  I think by hour 7 I didn't even notice, but my eyes struggled a bit adjusting to the lower FPS. It's possible my settings need further adjustment, but by everything I've seen, it's just not a high performing game right now.  I'm not trying to shit on it, I think this is well known for Bethesda, I recall Fallout 4 not being optimal either.  I just think there's a lot of room for improvement here, but it doesn't change how I feel about the actual game, which I'm loving. 

Also, there's SO many things the game doesn't show you (like that you can focus your laser cutter to mine much quicker) that I'm learning from tiktoks.  The depth of the game is incredible. I did see there was a mod for removing the limit on your ship building so some people have these incredible custom space ships.  I'd love to build something like that.  I haven't even bothered with ship building yet, I'm OK with the starter ship for now.
Just curiosity, but if you set it to play at 1080 instead of the 2160 would you notice that more than the slow FPS? I guess for me I'm old school enough that 1080 at 30+ is fine by me. I got started in this when Doom2 was released, and you were immersed in glorious 320x200 resolution @10 FPS (and it really was immersive as hell).
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3149 on: September 19, 2023, 08:18:31 AM »
Well that's kind of the issue, it seems a lot of these setting don't change much at all for FPS :lol I also don't really want to play on 1080 when I have a PC built for 1440.  But like I said, it's just an adjustment, last night I played and I hardly noticed the frame rate being a problem as I approach 10 hours of gameplay so my eyes have adjusted. 

My tiktok feed is now like 90% Starfield tips and tricks.  I'm not complaining, but damn, there's just so many things in the game and I don't really feel like doing what everyone says to do to "max XP" or "get the best gun/spacecraft for free".  What I get coming to me will be strictly based on how I decide to play the game.  There's just way too much for me to care about the "best gun" when I can craft it if I really wanted it or maybe I'll just obtain it naturally. (apparantly loot is randomized, so we all may kill the same person but get a different gun off the body).

I should also add that I put the difficulty on very easy.  There's so much to do in this game that worrying about ammo/med packs is not part of the gameplay loop I'm too interested in.