Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172155 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2975 on: July 31, 2023, 06:33:32 AM »
I will say that I thought I had gotten to the end of the game... All the characters started talking about how "this is it"... And then the screen faded to black, and when it came back, there were literally like seven green exclamation points on the screen. :lol I couldn't believe there were more side quests left! I will say though that thus far most of the late game side quests have been quite good.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2976 on: July 31, 2023, 07:13:47 PM »
Sounds like the Switch 2 is all but confirmed for 2024. I was planning on upgrading to the OLED but will probably hold off unless there is no backwards compatibility.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2977 on: July 31, 2023, 07:34:32 PM »
Who is ready for Baldur's Gate 3 this week?!!? :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2978 on: July 31, 2023, 09:15:23 PM »

I haven't even beat the second game yet and it's been 23 years :(
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2979 on: August 01, 2023, 01:31:11 AM »
Well, now you have a week to rectify that.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2980 on: August 01, 2023, 03:31:28 AM »
I played a bit of Baldur's Gate 1 during covid and thought the writing sucked compared to modern standards. I am not sure how much of an upgrade 2 is, but I was  disappointed after reading about the glory days of Bioware all those years. It does have charm though and I did have a good time, so I want to continue it one day.

Anyways, 3 looks great, but I am not sure how much time I will have for what is apparently a 100+ hour behemoth of an RPG.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2981 on: August 01, 2023, 06:08:05 AM »
I never played the first two but I'm excited to give this one a shot.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2982 on: August 01, 2023, 07:03:01 AM »
Well, now you have a week to rectify that.

I must wrap up Persona 5 Royal and then it shall be on to a classic I have never played: Castlevania - Symphony of the Night.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2983 on: August 01, 2023, 09:33:27 AM »
Can anyone recommend a headset that'd work with the PS5? I have a cheap headset off Amazon that plugs into the controller to get power. They work alright, but the volume doesn't get as loud as I'd like it to.   

I know Sony makes a set specifically for the PS5, but I had the PS4 equivalent some time ago and was underwhelmed (lots of echoing issues due to mic placement). Does anyone have any recommendations? 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2984 on: August 01, 2023, 11:38:56 AM »
I have the Sony Pulse headphones and love them. Highly recommended!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2985 on: August 01, 2023, 03:58:18 PM »
Sounds like the Switch 2 is all but confirmed for 2024. I was planning on upgrading to the OLED but will probably hold off unless there is no backwards compatibility.

There shouldn't be any reason why backwards compatibility isn't possible.  It's very easy to do on consoles these days.  Sony did a great job with the PS5.  Playing PS4 games is practically seamless.
I was also going to get the OLED also.  Glad I waited.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2986 on: August 02, 2023, 10:26:06 AM »
I never played the first two but I'm excited to give this one a shot.
I'm not usually a fan of turn-based games but BG3 looks so massive and they have gone so hard on the story and character customization and RPG systems that I will probably end up playing it (assuming it reviews well)!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2987 on: August 02, 2023, 10:49:28 AM »
I actually like turn-based strategy RPG's.  Not a PC gamer so it looks like I'll have to wait another month for the PS5 release.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MusicMaker

« Reply #2988 on: August 02, 2023, 11:42:45 AM »
Can anyone recommend a headset that'd work with the PS5? I have a cheap headset off Amazon that plugs into the controller to get power. They work alright, but the volume doesn't get as loud as I'd like it to.   

I know Sony makes a set specifically for the PS5, but I had the PS4 equivalent some time ago and was underwhelmed (lots of echoing issues due to mic placement). Does anyone have any recommendations?

I don't usually use a headset with my PS5/PS4.  But I have 2 that i use occasionally, and I've been happy with both.  My brother picked up the same pieces, and he happily uses both of them all the time.  I've provided Amazon links but you can get these at Best Buy, etc.

Razer Kraken Tournament Edition
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5TP4BN
It's a WIRED over-ear full headset with retractable mic.  Can be used simply as a controller plug-in (3.5mm audio jack), and honestly that's how I usually use it.  But it can also be plugged in via USB with more features and control (especially on PC, with configuration software).  Like any over-the-ear headset, can get hot as the hours go by, but very good quality for game audio without spending a billion dollars.

Turtle Beach Battle Buds
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMF2CFN
I use these when I need something much cooler (not cool as in stylish but as in temperature) or lighter, or when I just want to hear CHAT only through one ear while still hearing the rest of the game audio through my home theater system speakers.  I also use this from time to time for Zoom/teleconferencing sessions and it works great in that capacity too.  Audio is understandably not as good as a nice dedicated full headset, but is so much better than you'd think it would be, considering its size.  SO portable- literally pocket size.  Or half pocket size.  Can be used with the included good-quality noise-canceling mic extension, or just using in-line mic (with no mic boom extension, just like EarPods or similar).

If you go with something else, might be helpful if you chime back in down the road and let us know what you think of it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 01:39:19 PM by MusicMaker »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2989 on: August 02, 2023, 01:12:36 PM »
I ultimately bought the Steelseries Nova 7x wireless during black friday, as that one works with PC, Switch, Xbox, and Playstation. And also on basically all other devices I own via bluetooth. Even at the same time, I can put on music via my phone (bleutooth) while shooting stuff on my PS5 (wifi). The Steelseries Nova 7p is better integrated with Playstation though (but does not work on Xbox). If you equalise it on PC it will remember that profile, that way I finetuned the sound to my liking and it works well with Sony's 3D audio algorithms. It is a solid all performer for it's pricerange, with a mic that has a noise cancelling mic pointing outwards.

I briefly had the Turtlebeach 700 something, but I returned it as it felt crummy to my hands. And it had a lot of issues with connections. I have broken enough headphones to know that one had a very limited lifespan in my hands. It also looked ridiculous on my head. I don't have a small head, but they made me look like I was a baby wearing adult headphones or something

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2990 on: August 02, 2023, 01:35:31 PM »
I ultimately bought the Steelseries Nova 7x wireless during black friday, as that one works with PC, Switch, Xbox, and Playstation. And also on basically all other devices I own via bluetooth. Even at the same time, I can put on music via my phone (bleutooth) while shooting stuff on my PS5 (wifi). The Steelseries Nova 7p is better integrated with Playstation though (but does not work on Xbox). If you equalise it on PC it will remember that profile, that way I finetuned the sound to my liking and it works well with Sony's 3D audio algorithms. It is a solid all performer for it's pricerange, with a mic that has a noise cancelling mic pointing outwards.

I briefly had the Turtlebeach 700 something, but I returned it as it felt crummy to my hands. And it had a lot of issues with connections. I have broken enough headphones to know that one had a very limited lifespan in my hands. It also looked ridiculous on my head. I don't have a small head, but they made me look like I was a baby wearing adult headphones or something

Pictures or it didn't happen!!!  HAHAHA. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2991 on: August 03, 2023, 07:03:13 AM »
Sort of closing the loop on my Final Fantasy 16 "diary" (that no one is reading lol) but I finally finished the game last night and I thought the ending was phenomenal. It left me feeling very emotional but also so thankful that I poured so much time into the game. It definitely has its shortcomings - some of those errand/fetch/side quests or whatever you want to call them - but overall it's probably my GOTY thus far.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2992 on: August 03, 2023, 07:48:09 AM »
Thanks for the advice, fellas.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2993 on: August 03, 2023, 10:52:12 AM »
Sort of closing the loop on my Final Fantasy 16 "diary" (that no one is reading lol) but I finally finished the game last night and I thought the ending was phenomenal. It left me feeling very emotional but also so thankful that I poured so much time into the game. It definitely has its shortcomings - some of those errand/fetch/side quests or whatever you want to call them - but overall it's probably my GOTY thus far.

Agreed.  Every game has its shortcomings, but in this case it wasn't enough to ruin the game.  I'm sort of a completionist, so the side quests were a nice diversion from the main story.  Great story of love and sacrifice (personally, I wasn't too fond of the sacrifice part), but that's the way it goes.  My GOTY so far as well.  I did start a new game+ on FF mode which is much more difficult.  That will take some time to get through because I'm old.  lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2994 on: August 03, 2023, 05:21:16 PM »
Baldur's Gate 3 is out today. I guess I won't see anyone for the next month  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2995 on: August 04, 2023, 10:40:30 AM »
Looks like pre-orders for PS5 version aren't available yet.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2996 on: August 04, 2023, 11:12:15 AM »

It is a month later. Not sure why, I think a stimultanious release with reviews before or on release would be better. Reviews are also not really there due to the weird rollout.

It will likely not matter much for this game though, as it seems to be something special that is already thriving on word of mouth / online discourse.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2997 on: August 04, 2023, 12:51:26 PM »

It is a month later. Not sure why, I think a stimultanious release with reviews before or on release would be better. Reviews are also not really there due to the weird rollout.

It will likely not matter much for this game though, as it seems to be something special that is already thriving on word of mouth / online discourse.
They pushed out the PS5 release because they wanted a little more time to refine the controls for the PS5 controller.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2998 on: August 05, 2023, 02:42:59 PM »
Well, so far Baldurs Gate 3 is amazing. Still in the first act, but the storytelling is great, the characters are all likeable/unlikeable (in a good way), and choices really seem to have consequences. Plus the sheer amount of ways you have to tackle anything in the game is kind of crazy. It really makes you think outside the box.

Anyways, highly recommended!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2999 on: August 07, 2023, 08:20:20 AM »
Well, so far Baldurs Gate 3 is amazing. Still in the first act, but the storytelling is great, the characters are all likeable/unlikeable (in a good way), and choices really seem to have consequences. Plus the sheer amount of ways you have to tackle anything in the game is kind of crazy. It really makes you think outside the box.

Anyways, highly recommended!
The only thing that gives me even a moment's pause is the combat. I've never loved CRPG turn-based combat. But everything else about the game is right up my alley, so I will definitely be picking it up on PS5 next month. September will be completely wild, between Baldur's Gate 3 on PS5, Cyberpunk 2077 expansion, and Starfield.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3000 on: August 07, 2023, 09:24:41 AM »
Just installed a WD Black 4TB SSD expansion in my PS5 yesterday.  Got memory out the wazoo! :2metal:

Actually, there is a digital deluxe edition pre-order available in the PS store.  Not sure if I'm gonna download that or get the standard disc.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3001 on: August 08, 2023, 08:28:44 AM »
Not sure if anyone else is paying attention to the Red Dead Redemption story, but I think it's kind of interesting all around. On the one hand, I feel like this is a classic example of people getting their hopes up without reason, and then getting mad about it. Like the game was kind of leaked and then everyone just assumed it would be a significant remaster or remake, which ended up not happening, and isn't really Rockstar's fault. On the other hand, it is kind of absurd that a company with so much money and resources couldn't be bothered to even do a simple remaster. :lol

I think this story perfectly encapsulates the drama of the modern gaming industry, where players throw gasoline on the fires of their own anger with completely unjustified expectations, but developers and publishers don't help themselves either. :mehlin

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3002 on: August 08, 2023, 08:39:52 AM »
Not sure if anyone else is paying attention to the Red Dead Redemption story, but I think it's kind of interesting all around. On the one hand, I feel like this is a classic example of people getting their hopes up without reason, and then getting mad about it. Like the game was kind of leaked and then everyone just assumed it would be a significant remaster or remake, which ended up not happening, and isn't really Rockstar's fault. On the other hand, it is kind of absurd that a company with so much money and resources couldn't be bothered to even do a simple remaster. :lol

I think this story perfectly encapsulates the drama of the modern gaming industry, where players throw gasoline on the fires of their own anger with completely unjustified expectations, but developers and publishers don't help themselves either. :mehlin

The worst part is they already had to recreate half of RDR's map on the RDR2's engine.

I don't think people wouldn't be as pissed as they are if the price was better, especially following the GTA trilogy re-release shit show. $50 for a port of a 13 year old game with the online component removed is laughable. If this was $20 or $30, I think it would have been received better. $50 for a port and still no PC version is just stupid. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 09:43:53 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3003 on: August 08, 2023, 10:08:10 AM »
This is about RDR1 being announced for the switch?

I personally haven't been following so the hype was lost on me, but I don't quite understand the point?  Why did they put RDR1 not RDR2 on the switch? 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3004 on: August 08, 2023, 10:22:28 AM »
This is about RDR1 being announced for the switch?

I personally haven't been following so the hype was lost on me, but I don't quite understand the point?  Why did they put RDR1 not RDR2 on the switch?

I'm honestly going to be shocked if RDR1 runs on the Switch, let alone RDR2.   

The hostility is coming from a few places.

- The price. $50 is steep regardless of what platform you buy it on. It's just a port. Nothing has been patched, or upgraded, and it's being released on the Switch and PS4. So if you're on PS5, you're paying $50 for a 13 year old game being ported to a 10 year old console with some of the original features (online) removed.   

There were rumors going around for the last two weeks about an announcement. Changes were found on Rockstar's website and a few other places seemingly confirming it had something to do with RDR1. People admittedly got excited in all the speculation, and there were all kinds of expectations and hopes set. With RDR2 having already remastered half of RDR's map on the new engine, some thought a complete remaster was possible. Others were at least hoping for updated textures and 60FPS for the new consoles. PC would have taken anything.

The release ended up being as lazy as could possibly be, and a price tag that makes absolutely no sense. I could almost see $40 for the Switch. But $50 for a PS4 version that's just a straight port of the PS3 version, that's a hard pass for me.   

I've been saying it since RDR2 came out. If Rockstar wanted to make a combined remaster of 1 and 2 on the same map, merging both stories into one monster arc, I'd shell out $100 for that all day long.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3005 on: August 08, 2023, 10:25:57 AM »
Considering how bad Rockstar has milked previous GTA games with ports and remasters.  None of this sounds new or shocking to me. 

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3006 on: August 08, 2023, 10:28:28 AM »

Why do you think the Switch couldn't run RDR1?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3007 on: August 08, 2023, 10:37:21 AM »

If I remember correctly, RDR1 was really, really poorly coded. I don't know the technical bits, but I guess it's why we've never ended up with a PC version of the game after all these years. Granted I don't have a ton of time on my Switch, but from my experience, unless Nintendo is making the game, there's always something a bit iffy about whatever I'm playing. I think if Nintendo wanted to make RDR for the Switch from scratch, they totally could. I just don't have a lot of faith in the process of porting a game to the Switch, especially one as complicated as RDR1.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #3008 on: August 08, 2023, 02:27:38 PM »

If I remember correctly, RDR1 was really, really poorly coded. I don't know the technical bits, but I guess it's why we've never ended up with a PC version of the game after all these years. Granted I don't have a ton of time on my Switch, but from my experience, unless Nintendo is making the game, there's always something a bit iffy about whatever I'm playing. I think if Nintendo wanted to make RDR for the Switch from scratch, they totally could. I just don't have a lot of faith in the process of porting a game to the Switch, especially one as complicated as RDR1.

Ok. I've never owned a Switch. I was under the impression that it's underpowered but still good enough to run modern games with less graphical goodness.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3009 on: August 08, 2023, 08:15:15 PM »
Hard to say how it'll go on Switch. On one hand it's more powerful than the original consoles RDR1 released on and it's not being remastered, so in theory it should run better. But on the other hand, so many companies half-arse porting games, especially when it's to the Switch, that it could end up being one of many dumpster fire ports on the console.