Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172123 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2870 on: June 08, 2023, 10:53:46 AM »
I think so, my brother has a lot more time in it than me and he said he hasn't once interacted on the multiplayer side aside from joining my game last night.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2871 on: June 08, 2023, 12:05:40 PM »
I got Diablo, my first run at the series, because one of my Overwatch friends was really excited about it. At level 32 right now and here are my thoughts thus far:

Story - Coming into the world for the first time it's been fun following the characters and the story.
Look - Enjoy the look of the game, especially in the cutscenes and animations.
Character building - With plenty of skill points available I loved really digging into the skill tree and building out the character abilities and specializations that I wanted.

Dislike
Grind - From battle to equipment it feels like less a skill game and more a grind game. Combat you spam your stuff at the appropriate time without trying to get hit too hard. For equipment, I go out, complete a few things, fill up my inventory, come back, put on the best stuff, scrap the rest for parts, and upgrade what I have equipped. Rinse and repeat.
Quantity over quality - Hand in hand with the last point. From endless enemies and dungeons to equipment and weapons, the game just throws everything at you in droves. While I jumped ship from Destiny after the first game, I did love how in that the weapons and upgrades seemed to focus on hard fought incremental upgrades and different styles of play and bonuses carefully crafted from what you were equipping.

So overall, enjoying the time with my buddy and can overlook flaws to move through the campaign and enjoy the new world and story. But definitely would not make this a Destiny type game where I'm replaying as all the different roles and configurations and trying to replay and get every little accomplishment.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2872 on: June 08, 2023, 02:54:08 PM »
I got Diablo, my first run at the series, because one of my Overwatch friends was really excited about it. At level 32 right now and here are my thoughts thus far:

Story - Coming into the world for the first time it's been fun following the characters and the story.
Look - Enjoy the look of the game, especially in the cutscenes and animations.
Character building - With plenty of skill points available I loved really digging into the skill tree and building out the character abilities and specializations that I wanted.

Dislike
Grind - From battle to equipment it feels like less a skill game and more a grind game. Combat you spam your stuff at the appropriate time without trying to get hit too hard. For equipment, I go out, complete a few things, fill up my inventory, come back, put on the best stuff, scrap the rest for parts, and upgrade what I have equipped. Rinse and repeat.
Quantity over quality - Hand in hand with the last point. From endless enemies and dungeons to equipment and weapons, the game just throws everything at you in droves. While I jumped ship from Destiny after the first game, I did love how in that the weapons and upgrades seemed to focus on hard fought incremental upgrades and different styles of play and bonuses carefully crafted from what you were equipping.

So overall, enjoying the time with my buddy and can overlook flaws to move through the campaign and enjoy the new world and story. But definitely would not make this a Destiny type game where I'm replaying as all the different roles and configurations and trying to replay and get every little accomplishment.

Don't waste your materials on upgrading your equipment while you are levelling, save them all for endgame gear upgrades.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2873 on: June 08, 2023, 07:22:04 PM »
I'm curious about trying Diablo, but for now I'm content to see if it eventually hits Gamepass when the Microsoft acquisition goes through.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2874 on: June 09, 2023, 11:33:57 AM »
Finally busted out my PS4 copy of No Man's Sky and got the free PS5 upgrade.  Been playing that most of the week. :hefdaddy:hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2875 on: June 12, 2023, 06:21:58 AM »
I decided to replay as much of The Last of Us 2 as possible while I wait for Final Fantasy 16. Even though I feel as though I just played it, in reality it came out like three years ago lol. Time flies! :omg:

Through the first four or five hours, I have to say that I'm pretty blown away. I thought the game was great the first time around, but knowing what happens is adding an extra dimension this second time through. For example, I realized that the opening hour of the game is basically just one giant chunk of foreshadowing. :lol I feel like the developers planted seeds everywhere that I wasn't able to fully appreciate during my original playthrough, but that are now blossoming for me. I'm curious to see how far I'm able to get over the next couple of weeks...
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online faizoff

« Reply #2876 on: June 12, 2023, 09:38:02 AM »
I was checking out some of the Starfield gameplay and it looks massive and is really cool, it's so expansive, looks fun traveling to different star systems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26Dtgbsfzw&ab_channel=IGN
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2877 on: June 12, 2023, 09:42:55 AM »
Yea it really does look amazing! My only worry is if my old PC will handle it.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #2878 on: June 12, 2023, 09:44:14 AM »
I decided to replay as much of The Last of Us 2 as possible while I wait for Final Fantasy 16. Even though I feel as though I just played it, in reality it came out like three years ago lol. Time flies! :omg:

Through the first four or five hours, I have to say that I'm pretty blown away. I thought the game was great the first time around, but knowing what happens is adding an extra dimension this second time through. For example, I realized that the opening hour of the game is basically just one giant chunk of foreshadowing. :lol I feel like the developers planted seeds everywhere that I wasn't able to fully appreciate during my original playthrough, but that are now blossoming for me. I'm curious to see how far I'm able to get over the next couple of weeks...

IMHO, TLoU2 is indeed a great game through 3 quarters of the game, and I thought the story ends on a bit of a bleak note which I am not exactly too fond of. Another reason why I am hesitant to call TLoU2 a fun game for myself is that it feels a bit too linear. I spent too much time on Death Stranding and Days Gone, two massive open-world games, prior to playing it. Perhaps it is just my problem.  :sad:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2879 on: June 12, 2023, 01:02:10 PM »
https://youtu.be/c7K2TA0bBpY

Star Wars: Outlaws gameplay. Assuming the final game looks like this, I'm pumped for this! This is exactly the kind of SW game, I have been waiting for. Playing as a street criminal in a lawless open world galaxy, trying to make ends meet. This is probably the closest we are going to get to that Han Solo experience!

Hoping that this turns out good!

Online faizoff

« Reply #2880 on: June 12, 2023, 01:23:07 PM »
That looks great, has some of the Squadrons feel at the end.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2881 on: June 12, 2023, 07:04:08 PM »
I haven't watched that because I'm not really into gameplay hype/previews anymore but I do hope it turns out well. I'm kind of burnt out on Ubisoft open world stuff but perhaps this will be a nice surprise.

Any of you mangs into JRPGs? I've never really been into them but I decided to check out Persona 5 Royal and I'm enjoying it. Actually before that, I played a game called Tokyo Xanadu which was all right. I like Persona 5 Royal a lot more so far.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2882 on: June 13, 2023, 03:01:29 AM »
Both Starfield and Outlaws looks really promising.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2883 on: June 13, 2023, 11:06:18 AM »
Starfield looks like a spinoff of NMS.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2884 on: June 13, 2023, 12:38:04 PM »

If they stick to the release date, September 6, it'll be perfect for me. I'll be one day into my honeymoon and gone for 11 days after that. That'll allow enough time for the initial patches, to see if it's still a buggy mess, to see if it's worth it at all, and finally to see if it is worth playing as opposed to doubling back to No Man's Sky which I haven't touched in awhile.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2885 on: June 13, 2023, 02:19:32 PM »

If they stick to the release date, September 6, it'll be perfect for me. I'll be one day into my honeymoon and gone for 11 days after that. That'll allow enough time for the initial patches, to see if it's still a buggy mess, to see if it's worth it at all, and finally to see if it is worth playing as opposed to doubling back to No Man's Sky which I haven't touched in awhile.

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, I just upgraded my PS4 copy of NMS to PS5 about a week ago after not playing for quite a long time.  It's still glitchy, but at least they're still sending file updates.  :tup

I might also wait a little while to get Starfield.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2886 on: June 13, 2023, 02:23:08 PM »
I have no doubts that Starfield will be a buggy mess (with known bugs likely from previous games too).  But it does look pretty good.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2887 on: June 13, 2023, 02:52:00 PM »
I have no doubts that Starfield will be a buggy mess (with known bugs likely from previous games too).  But it does look pretty good.

What's their track record with addressing big bugs? I don't remember encountering any big ones when I bought Oblivion & Skyrim on release date.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2888 on: June 13, 2023, 02:54:02 PM »
I think they address their bugs pretty decently, much better than the shitshow Cyberpunk was. There is bethesda jank but I've never been unable to complete a bethesda game whereas I had a game breaking bug in CP2077 that halted all progress.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2889 on: June 13, 2023, 02:58:33 PM »
I think they address their bugs pretty decently, much better than the shitshow Cyberpunk was. There is bethesda jank but I've never been unable to complete a bethesda game whereas I had a game breaking bug in CP2077 that halted all progress.

It looked like Cyberpunk was on a whole different level.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2890 on: June 13, 2023, 03:00:44 PM »

I've had game breaking bugs in Bethesda games.  I feel like they don't fix anything. But it's been awhile and my memory is fuzzy.  I just know I've spent hours having to redo things from a previous save point in Skyrim and Fallout before.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2891 on: June 13, 2023, 03:15:50 PM »

That sucks, but those type of bugs were definitely present in Bethesda games of the past. I don't think there is a single Bethesda title where I didn't redo a chunk. And I recall Stadler here recently having a major issue in Skyrim, a 10+ year old game with a million rereleases that is still in a shoddy state in many regards. The CP release sucked, but CD project has not been sitting still.

Ultimately though I can usually deal with shitty versions of great games. I take it over flawless versions of ok/solid or even good games. But it does suck if a release is shoddy. For pretty much all RPGs I save often and I save separately, Bethesda and Bioware have taught me that habit.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2892 on: June 13, 2023, 03:36:44 PM »
I was so underwhelmed by CP2077, don't think I got far enough in the game to experience any bugs. lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2893 on: June 13, 2023, 03:38:23 PM »

That sucks, but those type of bugs were definitely present in Bethesda games of the past. I don't think there is a single Bethesda title where I didn't redo a chunk. And I recall Stadler here recently having a major issue in Skyrim, a 10+ year old game with a million rereleases that is still in a shoddy state in many regards. The CP release sucked, but CD project has not been sitting still.

Ultimately though I can usually deal with shitty versions of great games. I take it over flawless versions of ok/solid or even good games. But it does suck if a release is shoddy. For pretty much all RPGs I save often and I save separately, Bethesda and Bioware have taught me that habit.

Some Microsoft mang is claiming Starfield will be their least buggiest release. I find that very hard to believe given their track record and how fucking huge Starfield will be.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2894 on: June 13, 2023, 03:44:14 PM »
Oh fuck, just saw that Starfield is an Xbox exclusive only.  Nevermind  :\  I'll stick with NMS.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2895 on: June 13, 2023, 07:54:58 PM »

No doubt about the bugs in Skyrim, and I agree with you that I can power through broken games if they are engaging enough, I'm just salty that the last two games I couldn't finish due to game breaking quest bugs were Witcher 3 and CP2077. I think it was also magnified with CDPR PR team and their "it's ready when it's ready marketing.

I don't want to harp on it too much though and I'm definitely biased towards Bethesda games, I can't wait to give starfield a spin. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2896 on: June 13, 2023, 08:09:13 PM »

No doubt about the bugs in Skyrim, and I agree with you that I can power through broken games if they are engaging enough, I'm just salty that the last two games I couldn't finish due to game breaking quest bugs were Witcher 3 and CP2077. I think it was also magnified with CDPR PR team and their "it's ready when it's ready marketing.

I don't want to harp on it too much though and I'm definitely biased towards Bethesda games, I can't wait to give starfield a spin.

That is extremely frustrating. Game-breaking bugs are one of the reasons why I no longer buy games right when they come out.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2897 on: June 14, 2023, 05:22:17 AM »
Oh fuck, just saw that Starfield is an Xbox exclusive only.  Nevermind  :\  I'll stick with NMS.

It's on PC and Steam as well.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2898 on: June 14, 2023, 07:54:18 AM »
I hate exclusives and Starfield appears to be a real exclusive. They seem adamant about not releasing it for the PS5...but why?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2899 on: June 14, 2023, 08:06:24 AM »
Because Microsoft bought Bethesda, they want to steer people to their platforms.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2900 on: June 14, 2023, 08:09:15 AM »
Because Microsoft bought Bethesda, they want to steer people to their platforms.

It seems like a dick move when Sony is releasing more and more of their "exclusives" to PC. But what I'm really wondering is will Starfield remain a real exclusive or will they eventually release it on PS5.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: June 14, 2023, 08:12:52 AM »
My bet will be it'll stay a real exclusive, and while Sony is releasing games to PC they are not releasing exclusives to Xbox. It's a great time to be a PC gamer :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: June 14, 2023, 08:27:48 AM »

Yup and it's going to be on game pass day 1 which is a big sell for Microsoft.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2903 on: June 14, 2023, 08:46:20 AM »
My bet will be it'll stay a real exclusive, and while Sony is releasing games to PC they are not releasing exclusives to Xbox. It's a great time to be a PC gamer :lol

Ha ha agreed! It looks like I'll be skipping the PS5. I've owned a PS2, PS3, & PS4 for exclusives. The last Xbox I owned was the original Xbox  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2904 on: June 14, 2023, 08:51:18 AM »
Gamepass is a fantastic deal, can't recommend it enough. Especially if you enjoy indies with the occasional AAA title.

I hate exclusives and Starfield appears to be a real exclusive. They seem adamant about not releasing it for the PS5...but why?

As others have said, Bethesda is Xbox game studios now. This will apply to future Doom, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein and whatnot too. MS seems to keep releasing MP focused titles on all platforms though (like Sony does with Destiny).

And while I am glad MS does the PC releases at the same time, I think the Xbox would have a lot more sales potential if they went the Sony route with (temporary) hardware exclusives. While it is all silly PR/platform wars, both Nintendo and Sony do well in making their boxes more of a must have.