Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172143 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2765 on: April 06, 2023, 08:38:48 AM »
Still on my 1st play through of RE4 REmake.  Best one out of the bunch.  Been at it over a week.  Some things didn't change but a whole lot of other things did and I'm very impressed with the complete overhaul and modernized gameplay.  Capcom really out did themselves on this one.  Will be hard to top.  Started on normal difficulty.  Get used to dying...a lot!  I'm also seeing a huge amount of replay value as well.  Wouldn't be surprised if it gets game of the year.  RE2 and RE3 REmakes don't even really come close.  That's how good it is.  :hefdaddy

In the middle of my second playthrough right now. I played the original countless times when I was younger, and this feels just like picking up where I left off. They left out some things, like one boss on the Island, but I don't really miss it.

Also, NG+ just dropped for God of War: Ragnarok. Gotta give that another playthrough one of these days.

Cool.  Just finished my 1st play through on standard.  35 hours. :omg:  I'm wondering if we get a Separate Ways and/or Assignment Ada campaign again.  Don't see them. :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2766 on: April 07, 2023, 09:28:51 AM »
It looks as though Capcom is piecemealing DLC's.  Just got The Mercenaries yesterday.  It was free.  Hopefully Separate Ways and Assignment Ada are on the way as well.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2767 on: April 07, 2023, 04:15:45 PM »
I barely pay attention to trophies anymore, because I found that it was ruining the game for me. Mostly, I'd be sticking with games and task I wasn't really having fun with, just to get the trophy.

I don't think I've ever consciously gone after a trophy or achievement before. Are they the same as challenges? There are some games where challenges offer actual gameplay benefits like increased stats or whatever. I sometimes go for those.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2768 on: April 10, 2023, 10:22:11 AM »
I barely pay attention to trophies anymore, because I found that it was ruining the game for me. Mostly, I'd be sticking with games and task I wasn't really having fun with, just to get the trophy.

I don't think I've ever consciously gone after a trophy or achievement before. Are they the same as challenges? There are some games where challenges offer actual gameplay benefits like increased stats or whatever. I sometimes go for those.

Not the same as in-game challenges, but sometimes in-game challenges can yield trophies.  Just depends on the game.  Most in-game challenges unlock extra content.  Trophies are earned by meeting certain conditions.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2769 on: April 10, 2023, 07:48:34 PM »

Not the same as in-game challenges, but sometimes in-game challenges can yield trophies.  Just depends on the game.  Most in-game challenges unlock extra content.  Trophies are earned by meeting certain conditions.

I see.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2770 on: April 14, 2023, 09:03:00 AM »
Burning Shores Launch Trailer

The ending... Zenith tech in a Horus battle?! :eek

Mrs. P is going to have a hard time dragging me away from the PS5 next week!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2771 on: April 14, 2023, 09:56:21 AM »
Sackboy A Big Adventure was included with PSplus this month and I played it for a bit. I think it is a great game, judging on the first one and a half hour or so. Seems like a really underrated/overlooked title to me. Thus far it is not anything less than Mario 3D World, Crash 4, and Kirby Lost World to me. It looks amazing, plays very well, and has a solid amount of mechanics.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2772 on: April 14, 2023, 10:10:58 AM »
Sackboy A Big Adventure was included with PSplus this month and I played it for a bit. I think it is a great game, judging on the first one and a half hour or so. Seems like a really underrated/overlooked title to me. Thus far it is not anything less than Mario 3D World, Crash 4, and Kirby Lost World to me. It looks amazing, plays very well, and has a solid amount of mechanics.

I've been meaning to snag this. I've always thought Little Big Planet on the PS3 (what eventually became this game) was one of the best side scrollers ever.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2773 on: April 14, 2023, 02:42:19 PM »

I'll have to check that out.  I always download the free ones.  In the meantime, on my 2nd play through of RE4 REmake on hardcore difficulty this time.  This could easily get game of the year.  Massive amounts of content and replay value.  I'm surprised no one here is playing it yet.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2774 on: April 15, 2023, 03:57:23 PM »
Took a break from Elden Ring to finish off Jedi: Fallen Order. 'Twas good fun. The final boss was a nice breather after 100+ attempts at defeating Malenia. :lol
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2775 on: April 16, 2023, 06:00:16 PM »
Took a break from Elden Ring to finish off Jedi: Fallen Order. 'Twas good fun. The final boss was a nice breather after 100+ attempts at defeating Malenia. :lol
I beat Fallen Order despite hating Souls-like games. I started a second playthrough with a mod that makes a lightsaber kill enemies in one hit (they can still counter). Makes the "Jedi" experience more authentic to me.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2776 on: April 17, 2023, 06:03:42 AM »

I've been meaning to snag this. I've always thought Little Big Planet on the PS3 (what eventually became this game) was one of the best side scrollers ever.

I put a few hours into this game over the weekend. I love it. I was ready to be disappointed because I felt like the LBP franchise was getting worse with each release, but this game is solid. I wouldn't be upset at all if I paid retail for it.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2777 on: April 18, 2023, 10:56:02 AM »
Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores DLC released today. :2metal:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2778 on: April 18, 2023, 11:27:21 AM »

:metal :2metal: :thursday:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2779 on: April 18, 2023, 11:51:30 AM »
I'm just playing through Forbidden West, and I have so much still left to do!

I've been enjoying it very much, and would consider paying 20€ for Burning Shores if the game holds up to the very end! :tup

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2780 on: April 18, 2023, 01:15:06 PM »
Great game. I will definitely be getting around to the DLC at some point.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2781 on: April 18, 2023, 01:49:18 PM »
I just barely got my pre-order in yesterday.  :hat

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2782 on: April 19, 2023, 01:04:52 PM »
Played Burning Shores DLC for a couple of hours this morning. Tons of fun, but my NG+ load out made it pretty easy...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2783 on: April 19, 2023, 01:16:54 PM »
The file was massive.  I had to free up some memory just to download it.  Haven't had a chance to play yet.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2784 on: April 20, 2023, 06:57:50 AM »
I think that the Horizon series is really interesting because it's actual level of popularity (pretty huge) doesn't quite line up with the way it is covered and discussed by the hardcore gaming communities and publications.

For example, which series do you think is more popular? Horizon or The Last of Us?

Based on how often The Last of Us is debated, discussed, rereleased, and praised, I would have thought it was way more popular than Horizon. However, it took The Last of Us Part II about two years to sell ten million copies, whereas Horizon Forbidden West did it in a year. Also, Horizon Zero Dawn has sold over 20 million copies since 2017, whereas the first Last of Us is only at around the same number (including both PS3 and PS4) since 2013.

Horizon is secretly a cash cow that a lot of people have played and love, but it's a cash cow that kind of just does its thing in the background while franchises like Assassins Creed, Cyberpunk, Last of Us, and Witcher soak up a lot more of the discourse and press. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I just find it super interesting.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2785 on: April 20, 2023, 07:28:23 AM »
I think that's mostly bad luck for when it's major iterations were released. H:ZD released at the same time as Call of the Wild, and H:FW released at the same time as Elden Ring.

Let's face it, Horizon is a very well crafted world with a unique setting and wonderful storytelling, but it hasn't reinvented the genre (Open World Adventure) like the other two did. That's what has grabbed the gaming media's attention. But Horizon is fun, well balanced, and frequently moving and the more it leans into what makes it unique, the better it gets. That's what has grabbed gamer's attention.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2786 on: April 20, 2023, 10:03:08 AM »
Horizon is by no doubt big. But it was also heavily bundled with the scarce PS5 that basically sold when in stock regardless of what was included. For like half a year / a year most PS5's that could be bought, came with Horizon. Including mine in november, 9 months after release.

I really like Forbidden West, but I don't really care for the characters/dialouge to be honest. The world and combat are absolutely amazing though.

It does feel Forbidden West is a bit more overlooked than the original. The first one was massive in terms of coverage/discussion. But that is maybe because I live where these games are made.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2787 on: April 20, 2023, 11:46:44 AM »
I really like Forbidden West, but I don't really care for the characters/dialouge to be honest. The world and combat are absolutely amazing though.
I agree. The world and combat are awesome, and I actually think the story is pretty cool as well, but there's something missing in terms of characters. I think it all starts with Alloy, who's pretty cool but also doesn't show a ton of emotion (which I think is by design). The game doesn't wear its heart on its sleeve in the same way that a lot of others do.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2788 on: April 20, 2023, 01:48:36 PM »
I agree. The world and combat are awesome, and I actually think the story is pretty cool as well, but there's something missing in terms of characters. I think it all starts with Alloy, who's pretty cool but also doesn't show a ton of emotion (which I think is by design). The game doesn't wear its heart on its sleeve in the same way that a lot of others do.

I definitely agree as far as Zero Dawn and Frozen Wilds went. I feel Forbidden West was a huge improvement for characters and dialog. Alloy herself had a great arch that went from being a snide loan wolf to learning how to make friends and trust in there help. In my mind, there were at least a dozen characters that were unique, interesting, consistent, and had progression in Forbidden West. While the dialog could have been more elegant, I never found it cringy like it frequently was in ZD.

Burning shores (so far) is a step back in the quality of dialog though. The antagonist is a bit too vaudevillian for my tastes...I half expect to see him twisting his moustaches.   

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2789 on: April 20, 2023, 03:27:15 PM »
I think the main plotline and Aloy/Elizabeth were much better in Zero Dawn. I agree the rest of the main cast was an improvement. But I just find their interactions with Aloy to be lacking in chemistry. Thinking about it, Aloy to me kinda lacks character in general. Perhaps that is why it all falls a bit flat for me in that regard. I do love they have the base and they clearly put effort into the bonding of the cast. But honestly none of it really compelled me, so I ended up skipping the secondary dialouge stuff later on in the game.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2790 on: April 20, 2023, 10:59:56 PM »
Unrecord - Early gameplay

Photorealistic visuals. I think I read it's actually 3D photos stiched together or something like take. It looks nuts!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2791 on: April 21, 2023, 08:11:14 AM »

Photorealistic visuals. I think I read it's actually 3D photos stiched together or something like take. It looks nuts!

Yeah this games graphics are just crazy realistic.  I don't know if the game will be any good, but from the look of it alone, it's something I might be interested in.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2792 on: April 21, 2023, 10:16:43 AM »
Oops!  Had 2 sessions open and posted in the wrong thread.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 10:36:27 AM by Dublagent66 »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: April 21, 2023, 10:25:30 AM »
Think this is the wrong thread chef :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #2794 on: April 21, 2023, 08:20:54 PM »

That looks so realistic, crazy to think how that tech will be in the next decade.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2795 on: April 21, 2023, 08:52:11 PM »
Wow, that looks incredible

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2796 on: April 22, 2023, 12:25:10 AM »
It's funny because to me it's too real, like when you saw The Hobbits in 48fps, kinda took you out of the immersion, atleast for me. However I think it's diffrent playing it for yourself than watching a video that could very well just be real footage.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2797 on: April 22, 2023, 01:46:10 PM »
Silica might be the best thing coming from Bohemia since Arma 3, it looks really interesting.

Silica is a crossover of FPS and RTS where up to 3 factions battle for control over the planet of Baltarus. Lead from above as commander, or experience the action first-hand, either alone, or with friends. Join one of two human armies, or hunt them down as the territorial aliens.

Silica - Official Announcement Trailer

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2798 on: April 22, 2023, 03:26:32 PM »
I beat Fallen Order despite hating Souls-like games. I started a second playthrough with a mod that makes a lightsaber kill enemies in one hit (they can still counter). Makes the "Jedi" experience more authentic to me.

Oh mang, that sounds like a great mod!

Interesting. I wonder if it'll actually look like that when it's released...and if it does look as good, what will the system requirements will be.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2799 on: April 22, 2023, 04:52:49 PM »
Interesting. I wonder if it'll actually look like that when it's released...and if it does look as good, what will the system requirements will be.
Probably not as extreme as you might think. Apparently Unreal 5 is super efficient.
Listen! Do you smell something?