Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 177274 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2520 on: February 13, 2023, 06:29:39 AM »
I respect people's choices to boycott products, but I am a bit confused why this game has such a hard push for it, out of all the products that bring money to dubious people, organisations, and governments. Do people realise where their money goes when buying the devices to play these games on? Or many other entertainments products? They are all luxury products, so I wonder where the line lies for someone to boycott this. Rowling is a billionaire and has been raking on money from Harry Potter related products since forever (Lego, merch, films, plays whatnot). This won't change anything. Supporting a game based on her creation written by others that actually includes transgender characters seems more benificial to me, in fact.

This game has been getting this attention because the issue has been a very hot topic lately. I doubt the boycotters think they're putting any kind of sizeable dent in Rowling's wallet but look at it this way: a video game is coming out that looks really good but it's based on a game world created by someone whose views you not only despise but you believe those views are actively harmful to you and others like you. Would you be like "Fuck it, they're going to remain rich anyway so I'll just buy their game"?

At least do it and STFU about it, though (I don't mean you, I mean the boycotters).  It's like anything else; I LOVE BioShock, all three games, and not everyone else does.  You do you and I'll do me.  The problem with all of this, of course, isn't the boycotting, it's the judgment and intolerance that follows.  If I DO choose to buy the Harry Potter game, because I love Harry Potter, or my kids do, or whatever, doesn't mean that I'm transphobic, and in our current society (at least in America) that's the inference drawn.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I don't know enough about the issue to have a firm opinion on it.

I read those books for the first time last year and thought they were fucking great. The movies were ok too. I'll most likely buy the game when it's on sale.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2521 on: February 13, 2023, 07:15:22 AM »
You all know this, but still:

Before someone boycotts (or not boycotts) this game, I would urge them to read what it's all about. Everything JKR said and why she said it is well documented. And everything that those that oppose her said and why they said it is equally well documented.

So if you care about those things, read it and form your own opinion and then act accordingly.

PS: that is not directed at anyone here in particular, more like a general appeal.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2522 on: February 13, 2023, 07:22:58 AM »
I've read that character creation is basically as gender/lgbtq+ friendly as you can possibly be. I've failed to find the Reddit comment, but someone posted about it last week. It sounded like you couldn't make it any more inclusive if you tried. Seems pretty un-wise to boycott, imo. Just my $0.02

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: February 13, 2023, 07:56:03 AM »
I respect people's choices to boycott products, but I am a bit confused why this game has such a hard push for it, out of all the products that bring money to dubious people, organisations, and governments. Do people realise where their money goes when buying the devices to play these games on? Or many other entertainments products? They are all luxury products, so I wonder where the line lies for someone to boycott this. Rowling is a billionaire and has been raking on money from Harry Potter related products since forever (Lego, merch, films, plays whatnot). This won't change anything. Supporting a game based on her creation written by others that actually includes transgender characters seems more benificial to me, in fact.

This game has been getting this attention because the issue has been a very hot topic lately. I doubt the boycotters think they're putting any kind of sizeable dent in Rowling's wallet but look at it this way: a video game is coming out that looks really good but it's based on a game world created by someone whose views you not only despise but you believe those views are actively harmful to you and others like you. Would you be like "Fuck it, they're going to remain rich anyway so I'll just buy their game"?

At least do it and STFU about it, though (I don't mean you, I mean the boycotters).  It's like anything else; I LOVE BioShock, all three games, and not everyone else does.  You do you and I'll do me.  The problem with all of this, of course, isn't the boycotting, it's the judgment and intolerance that follows.  If I DO choose to buy the Harry Potter game, because I love Harry Potter, or my kids do, or whatever, doesn't mean that I'm transphobic, and in our current society (at least in America) that's the inference drawn.

Yeah, and there were some examples last week of streamers being bullied for playing the game.  Boycott it, that's cool.  Express your opinion, we all have that right.  But please, don't become the hatred you you think you are preventing. 

It's a harry potter game. It was always going to be extremely visible and well promoted. It's one of the biggest franchises in the world.

Sure, but I think there's little doubt that the reaction has caused even more visibility towards the game.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2524 on: February 13, 2023, 10:26:51 AM »

Before someone boycotts (or not boycotts) this game, I would urge them to read what it's all about. Everything JKR said and why she said it is well documented. And everything that those that oppose her said and why they said it is equally well documented.

So if you care about those things, read it and form your own opinion and then act accordingly.

PS: that is not directed at anyone here in particular, more like a general appeal.

But, also, respect others' opinions if it differs from yours.   I'm not a boycotter. I'm just not.  So don't draw inferences about my politics because I play a certain video game.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2525 on: February 13, 2023, 10:36:59 AM »
Sure, but I think there's little doubt that the reaction has caused even more visibility towards the game.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this whole controversy actually helped the game sell more. My wife doesn't game but she actually heard about the Harry Potter game because of all the drama. And because she loves Harry Potter, she asked if I was going to play it and she could watch. That's never happened before for anything ever. :lol

Again, I'm just spit balling. Who knows exactly how sales were impacted by this whole thing. But stranger things have happened than a backlash sort of backfiring, if that makes sense.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2526 on: February 14, 2023, 11:51:30 AM »
Not a Harry Potter fan, so it makes no difference to me and probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Destiny 2: Lightfall expansion in 2 weeks! :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2527 on: February 14, 2023, 02:29:06 PM »
Pretty excited for Season 2 of COD MW2 tomorrow.  Game is just in a bad state right now and lacking content so a new resurgence mode map is going to be a pretty big new feature.  Plus they announced lots of changes to increase the speed of gameplay which hopefully helps as the game is a bit slow paced. I just hope they do a good job rebalancing the weapons as they haven't made any real changes since the games release and it's quite clear which guns are by far the best which has become very boring now.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2528 on: February 15, 2023, 01:58:43 AM »

But, also, respect others' opinions if it differs from yours.   I'm not a boycotter. I'm just not.  So don't draw inferences about my politics because I play a certain video game.
This. I’m as LGBTQ supportive as someone can be without actually being LGBTQ, and I am enjoying the hell out of the game. It was created by a team of passionate people, and it’s a love letter to an incredible universe. JKR’s opinions can get bent, but I’m still going to enjoy some art as beautiful as this.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2529 on: February 18, 2023, 10:25:00 PM »
Metroid Prime Remastered is as good as it's hyped to be. If you're remotely interested you should buy it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2530 on: February 20, 2023, 08:41:00 PM »
Metroid Prime Remastered is as good as it's hyped to be. If you're remotely interested you should buy it.

Are there plans to remaster the other Metroid Primes?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2531 on: February 21, 2023, 06:30:15 AM »
I just finished Witcher 3 and the Blood and Wine expansion pack. Then I'm going to finish Dead Space Remake. Then I might pick up Metroid Prime... It's between that and a few others.

Witcher 3 was incredible as always. I had played Blood and Wine before but I kind of rushed through it a bit. This time, I did almost everything. It's so mindblowing to me how they basically released a full game but charged just an expansion price for it. :lol Overall, it was great to revisit arguably my favorite game on PS5. As I said before though... Holy hell, it's buggy. CDPR just can't seem to deliver anything in an acceptable technical state at launch. :corn
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2532 on: February 21, 2023, 07:15:28 AM »

The rumor is that they will be ported but it won't be a full remaster.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2533 on: February 21, 2023, 08:39:01 PM »

The rumor is that they will be ported but it won't be a full remaster.

That's too bad then.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2534 on: February 22, 2023, 01:29:04 AM »
It is Nintendo, sometimes I feel the leadership uses a dice game to decide what games to port/remaster/remake and on what platform (though now they only have the Switch, making that easier).

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2535 on: February 22, 2023, 02:22:47 AM »
Welp, I finally bought Elden Ring.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2536 on: February 22, 2023, 05:17:01 AM »

Go Mage!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2537 on: February 22, 2023, 05:48:11 AM »

Go Mage!

Yes, I highly recommend to at the very least have mage capabilities, as it just makes the most sense for the plot/quests in this game and is also fun. I was melee only (dex/strength) in most From Soft games, but respecced in Elden Ring and never looked back. Thankfully the game allows for a couple of respecs easily.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2538 on: February 22, 2023, 06:07:42 AM »

Keep us updated! I've been playing it again myself. I'd played it for a month or so around release, but I really wasn't gelling with it. It came up like 2 weeks after Horizon Forbidden West, a game I bought on release day and was still very much immersed in at that time. I was pretty captivated by Forbidden West, and found it hard to jump into Elden Ring which requires a lot more patience and attention to detail.

I'm having a much better time with Elden Ring this time around, but I'm also playing it a lot less like a From purists. Sometimes that means Googling where to go, or watching a video on a suggested path through the early stages of the open world. I don't really consider it at all "cheating" because I missed out on the early social days of the game when everyone was sharing wild stuff they found anyway.q

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2539 on: February 22, 2023, 06:31:07 AM »

Keep us updated! I've been playing it again myself. I'd played it for a month or so around release, but I really wasn't gelling with it. It came up like 2 weeks after Horizon Forbidden West, a game I bought on release day and was still very much immersed in at that time. I was pretty captivated by Forbidden West, and found it hard to jump into Elden Ring which requires a lot more patience and attention to detail.

I'm having a much better time with Elden Ring this time around, but I'm also playing it a lot less like a From purists. Sometimes that means Googling where to go, or watching a video on a suggested path through the early stages of the open world. I don't really consider it at all "cheating" because I missed out on the early social days of the game when everyone was sharing wild stuff they found anyway.q

Do you play online? (as in, are there hints littered everywhere?). As that is an in-game mechanic that will go a long way.

But I honestly think the majority of players search up and/or talk about stuff at least to some extend, which is why there is so much conversation about these games. For me I had no clue what the hell was going on with the plot, so I followed that conversation online. And I still can't tell you what is what exactly to be honest.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2540 on: February 22, 2023, 10:41:33 AM »
Yea not many people know the actual story in Elden Ring.  :lol I get all my intel from Vaatividya on YT.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2541 on: February 22, 2023, 12:01:22 PM »
My copy of ER got shuffled to the bottom of the deck.  Not to see the light of day any time soon.  Destiny 2: Lightfall next week and RE4 Remake in another month. :2metal:
Who's got time for ER?  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2542 on: February 22, 2023, 01:02:32 PM »
Who's got time for ER?  :lol

Girls who play the game on a floor pad  :lol (I'm being serious)

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2543 on: February 22, 2023, 02:02:03 PM »
You mean like a yoga mat? LOL

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2544 on: February 22, 2023, 02:07:55 PM »
No, like a dance pad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TemcG9KqjhY

I've seen countless clips of this and similar where people are just playing the game with very unique "controllers" lets say

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2545 on: February 22, 2023, 02:25:00 PM »
Well, I guess that would make it more interesting. :lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #2546 on: February 23, 2023, 02:09:48 PM »
If you are on the fence about getting Hogwarts Legacy (separate of the Rowling debate) - I'd say go for it. I've played 18 hours and am only like 25-30% through the actual storyline. A ton of stuff to do in a fairly open world (including Hogwarts castle). The fighting experience is fun and not necessarily easy. The plot is OK but better than Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts lol.

Overall the game is beautiful and the creators really did an excellent job with it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2547 on: February 23, 2023, 02:35:31 PM »

Go Mage!

Yes, I highly recommend to at the very least have mage capabilities, as it just makes the most sense for the plot/quests in this game and is also fun. I was melee only (dex/strength) in most From Soft games, but respecced in Elden Ring and never looked back. Thankfully the game allows for a couple of respecs easily.

Started off on Samurai, because I had good fun with the katanas in DS3, but I plan to do a hybrid Dex/Int build eventually once the spells start opening up.

Only played a few hours so far but I've explored a couple of caves, and found some talismens, and found the fort to the Southwest with the half of the medallion or something. All in all it plays much like DS3 so far, but I'm liking the fast travel and open areas, which give it a much needed change of pace compared to those games.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2548 on: February 23, 2023, 02:39:13 PM »
Do you play online? (as in, are there hints littered everywhere?). As that is an in-game mechanic that will go a long way.

I did my first playthrough of DS3 when the servers were down, so no hints and no assists for bosses. Just good ol fashioned "gitting gud". :lol

But I honestly think the majority of players search up and/or talk about stuff at least to some extend, which is why there is so much conversation about these games. For me I had no clue what the hell was going on with the plot, so I followed that conversation online. And I still can't tell you what is what exactly to be honest.

Soulsbournes don't really have plot so much as they have lore. The vast majority of the story in these games has already happened, and you need to dig deep to detangle it. It's not surprising a fair number would need help with that as not everyone has the temperament to read a thousand item descriptions to detangle who the hell is who.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2549 on: February 23, 2023, 05:50:30 PM »
If you are on the fence about getting Hogwarts Legacy (separate of the Rowling debate) - I'd say go for it. I've played 18 hours and am only like 25-30% through the actual storyline. A ton of stuff to do in a fairly open world (including Hogwarts castle). The fighting experience is fun and not necessarily easy. The plot is OK but better than Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts lol.

Overall the game is beautiful and the creators really did an excellent job with it.

I'm geniuely shocked at how good the game is really. It's easily going to make the top 10 of all time for me I think.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2550 on: February 24, 2023, 11:00:30 AM »
So Rocksteady made the new "Arkham" game a shooter with heavy focus on loot and online. I am quite certain this will end up like The Avengers or Arkham Knights. They could have the next Hogwarts Legacy or Fallen Order if they just focused on making a good Batman game, it has been 8 years since Arkham Knight.

I did my first playthrough of DS3 when the servers were down, so no hints and no assists for bosses. Just good ol fashioned "gitting gud". :lol

Soulsbournes don't really have plot so much as they have lore. The vast majority of the story in these games has already happened, and you need to dig deep to detangle it. It's not surprising a fair number would need help with that as not everyone has the temperament to read a thousand item descriptions to detangle who the hell is who.

True, but I feel Sekiro was the best in this regard. A relatively easy to follow "active" plotline, with the same amount of lore depth and underlying mysteries (some of which frame the plot in a new light).

Go Mage!

Started off on Samurai, because I had good fun with the katanas in DS3, but I plan to do a hybrid Dex/Int build eventually once the spells start opening up.

Only played a few hours so far but I've explored a couple of caves, and found some talismens, and found the fort to the Southwest with the half of the medallion or something. All in all it plays much like DS3 so far, but I'm liking the fast travel and open areas, which give it a much needed change of pace compared to those games.

There are some very nice katana/mage builds in this game. In fact, it is what I ended up with  ;D

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2551 on: February 24, 2023, 11:59:24 AM »
So Rocksteady made the new "Arkham" game a shooter with heavy focus on loot and online. I am quite certain this will end up like The Avengers or Arkham Knights. They could have the next Hogwarts Legacy or Fallen Order if they just focused on making a good Batman game, it has been 8 years since Arkham Knight.

Bummer.  I love all three (Arkham, Arkham City, Origins) but the last one, the online part was sort of a drag.  It seems that the more the online portion, the less I like it, with Star Wars Battlefront maybe the one exception.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2552 on: February 24, 2023, 12:49:27 PM »
I was in a bit of a funk for awhile between PS4/PS5. Kinda felt like I was playing some of the same things just because, and playing through and enjoying new things new and again, but the magic just wasn't quite there.

But then Hogwarts gave me a nice little jolt, and now PSVR2 is here...

Started off with Horizon in the bundle, and got No Man's Sky and Pistol Whip as well. Between those 3 and Hogwarts I feel like I'll be happy the rest of the year.

And still looking to try Resident Evil Village, Pavlov, and Demeo. And Firewall Ultra will be coming as well at some point.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2553 on: February 24, 2023, 12:56:39 PM »
How is NMS on the PSVR2?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2554 on: February 24, 2023, 02:19:09 PM »

Bummer.  I love all three (Arkham, Arkham City, Origins) but the last one, the online part was sort of a drag.  It seems that the more the online portion, the less I like it, with Star Wars Battlefront maybe the one exception.

I have nothing against online games or games as a service, if done well. But I can't think of any plot focused single player game that became a success while doing the always online microtransaction strategy.

Maybe Diablo like games, but the genre fits around that model and those games were never really cinematic singleplayer experiences and already heavily focused on grinding time away for loot/rewards.

WB studios had some of the best gaming devs out there, but they squandered it, just like Square did with their western studios (which they ended up selling). I get why companies and shareholders want to follow the highest earning business models, but the list of major AAA singleplayer devs making online (shooter) is increasing and most of them failed miserably. It doesn't translate well.

Battlefront was made by Dice, who had been making online focused games for almost decades. And the franchise/genre fits the concept.

I was in a bit of a funk for awhile between PS4/PS5. Kinda felt like I was playing some of the same things just because, and playing through and enjoying new things new and again, but the magic just wasn't quite there.

But then Hogwarts gave me a nice little jolt, and now PSVR2 is here...

Started off with Horizon in the bundle, and got No Man's Sky and Pistol Whip as well. Between those 3 and Hogwarts I feel like I'll be happy the rest of the year.

And still looking to try Resident Evil Village, Pavlov, and Demeo. And Firewall Ultra will be coming as well at some point.

Awesome, I am definitely interested in PSVR2, but have decided that I first need to play some of my PSVR1 backlog before I allow myself to buy it.

PSVR2 seems like very good VR hardware as well.