Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 165788 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2485 on: February 07, 2023, 01:25:06 PM »
I think the deal with Hogwarts Legacy and HP in general is, whether or not you can separate the art and the artist.

There's separating the art from the artist, and separating the product from the seller. The latter is harder to do so. Unless you sail the seven seas of course.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2486 on: February 07, 2023, 01:44:09 PM »
I think the deal with Hogwarts Legacy and HP in general is, whether or not you can separate the art and the artist.

There's separating the art from the artist, and separating the product from the seller. The latter is harder to do so. Unless you sail the seven seas of course.

Depends on how much you love the art to buy the product. If the worst person on this planet designed the best video game to be made, will the person who loves the art of video games be able to separate art/product from artist/seller?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2487 on: February 07, 2023, 02:00:54 PM »

Look, I was off the mark before, but I promise this is asked with all good intent:  what's the difference?  Isn't art a byproduct of the artist in the same way that a product is from the seller?  You might even argue it should be harder in the art/artist area because of the intent and emotion.   A "product" is far more likely a neutral offering; think of Elvis selling "I Hate Elvis" buttons because either way, he was being paid.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2488 on: February 07, 2023, 02:33:39 PM »
Look under the rug on anything, and there's something nasty to be found. Is it moral to use a SodaStream? An iPhone? Clothing made in China? PC parts made in China? Is your wedding band or engagement ring made with blood gold/diamonds? Is it OK to take your family to Disney? Would it have been wrong to watch a Soviet film in the 60s? Would it be wrong to buy a movie ticket to a Chinese blockbuster today? Does my own tax contribution to my own state already put me in the most complicit category of all?

As they say, there's "no ethical consumption under capitalism". That's not an excuse to draw no lines, but it does underscore that everyone's lines might be different. You've got to respect different people's viewpoints at the end of the day. Easy for me to say "skip" on this game because, frankly, I have always felt like Harry Potter kind of sucks. But for big fans who grew up with it, and loved it the whole way, maybe they think it's "bigger" than JK Rowling, even she's still getting a cut. I don't know what it's like to have to come to terms with the series, at this moment, if you were to have been someone who loved it all along, especially if you are one of the types of people constantly in JK Rowling's crosshairs.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2489 on: February 07, 2023, 02:50:34 PM »
Does my own tax contribution to my own state already put me in the most complicit category of all?

:lol preach.  People can make their own decisions and I support that either way.  My only issue are those who say anyone who plays this game are anti-trans and that's a conclusion I can't jump to which is something I'm seeing quite a bit on my social media feed.

I must say, the game looks pretty good.  I'm not likely to play it though.  I just haven't been too interested in RPG open world games like I used to be.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2490 on: February 07, 2023, 03:24:30 PM »
Look, I was off the mark before, but I promise this is asked with all good intent:  what's the difference?

Practical outcomes. If go out an buy an H.P. Lovecraft, even if I can't separate his (admittedly important) contributions to gothic horror from his highly racist personal views, I can ensure my money doesn't go to him or any cause that might align with those views. The guy is dead and his work is public domain, giving me the choice to support ethical publishers.

If I buy a Potterverse product, part of that money will go to JK, and she will gain influence and power (in small amount personally, but ants are strong together). And in my my view she is putting her money and influence into causes I feel cause real harm to people. Hence, to me, the product is a direct means of funding actions I oppose and care about. So I won't.

But as I said, there are more appropriate venues to discuss this case in particular if you wish to continue. :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 02:48:20 AM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 07:22:18 AM by soupytwist »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2492 on: February 08, 2023, 10:25:32 AM »
No, you were right the first time you edited.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2493 on: February 08, 2023, 10:57:05 AM »
Just chiming in to say that Codsworth calling me Mister Fucker in that delightfully British voice of his is like the greatest thing ever. And he says it with such, whatever the British word for gusto is. MIS'ter FUCK'er. I smile every time I hear it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2494 on: February 08, 2023, 11:16:57 AM »

Why? Not the right place?  In for a penny, in for a pound; I'd hate to think we're valuing the arbitrary sanctity of a thread title over truth and fairness. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: February 08, 2023, 11:30:41 AM »
Looking over the reddit review thread for Hogwarts I'm pretty pumped to play this game Friday. Anyone else gonna scoop it up?

Even though I'm not big on videogames—I think that last one I finished was Detroit: Become Human in 2021—I actually do want to play it as I grew up on these books, but it comes out in April for older consoles (I've got a PS4), so we'll see how things are in two months.

I'll be curious to read your spoiler-free opinion (and everyone elses who gets it) after you spend some time in the game.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2496 on: February 08, 2023, 11:40:30 AM »
So...fully immersed in Skyrim.  I feel like the divorce papers are impending.   Just so immersive, and I think El Barto was correct; the writing on this is just next level. 

Funny thing; I "married" Lydia; I was running through some of the "enhancements" for our house and at the third one (1,000 gold) even though I had more than 100,000 gold, she said "No, you don't have enough gold for that." FFS, I have a real life wife to tell me that!   

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2497 on: February 08, 2023, 01:20:02 PM »

Why? Not the right place?  In for a penny, in for a pound; I'd hate to think we're valuing the arbitrary sanctity of a thread title over truth and fairness. 

No, but I am the arbitrator of "take it to P/R please". ;)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2498 on: February 08, 2023, 05:58:11 PM »
So...fully immersed in Skyrim.  I feel like the divorce papers are impending.   Just so immersive, and I think El Barto was correct; the writing on this is just next level. 

Funny thing; I "married" Lydia; I was running through some of the "enhancements" for our house and at the third one (1,000 gold) even though I had more than 100,000 gold, she said "No, you don't have enough gold for that." FFS, I have a real life wife to tell me that!

Takes me back to my playthroughs. I think I clocked 125+ hours each time easily, maybe more.

I forget where you are in the game but have you met up with a lad for some drinks in the Riften tavern?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2499 on: February 08, 2023, 06:26:45 PM »

I'm really jealous you're getting to experience Skyrim for the first time. Skyrim shares a special place in my heard with Bioshock: Infinite. Those were the two games that really got me back into gaming.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2500 on: February 08, 2023, 10:25:55 PM »

I'm really jealous you're getting to experience Skyrim for the first time.
Yeah, I've expressed the same sentiment. For a while the scope of it all is just bewildering. Now I could start up a game and get to where I'd whip anybody's ass in a few hours. When I was first finding my way through it I kept being shocked at how much more there was to learn. I think I'd been playing for quite a long time before I did enough of the main quest line to actually get into using shouts. Weeks into the game that opened up a whole new dimension of fun, shouting people off of cliffs, and whatnot.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2501 on: February 09, 2023, 04:17:20 AM »
I never got around to playing Skyrim. Then again it also took me 12 years to get around to playing FNV, so maybe once I'm in my 40s. :P

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2502 on: February 09, 2023, 05:09:18 AM »
Look, I was off the mark before, but I promise this is asked with all good intent:  what's the difference?

Practical outcomes. If go out an buy an H.P. Lovecraft, even if I can't separate his (admittedly important) contributions to gothic horror from his highly racist personal views, I can ensure my money doesn't go to him or any cause that might align with those views. The guy is dead and his work is public domain, giving me the choice to support ethical publishers.

If I buy a Potterverse product, part of that money will go to JK, and she will gain influence and power (in small amount personally, but ants are strong together). And in my my view she is putting her money and influence into causes I feel cause real harm to people. Hence, to me, the product is a direct means of funding actions I oppose and care about. So I won't.

But as I said, there are more appropriate venues to discuss this case in particular if you wish to continue. :)
I hope this isn't inappropriate in this thread, but I just wanted to chime that I'm glad for this contribution to this thread.  :heart I might go further into why if there's a separate thread for it.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2503 on: February 09, 2023, 05:57:57 AM »
I respect people's choices to boycott products, but I am a bit confused why this game has such a hard push for it, out of all the products that bring money to dubious people, organisations, and governments. Do people realise where their money goes when buying the devices to play these games on? Or many other entertainments products? They are all luxury products, so I wonder where the line lies for someone to boycott this. Rowling is a billionaire and has been raking on money from Harry Potter related products since forever (Lego, merch, films, plays whatnot). This won't change anything. Supporting a game based on her creation written by others that actually includes transgender characters seems more benificial to me, in fact.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2504 on: February 09, 2023, 06:34:16 AM »
I respect people's choices to boycott products, but I am a bit confused why this game has such a hard push for it, out of all the products that bring money to dubious people, organisations, and governments. Do people realise where their money goes when buying the devices to play these games on? Or many other entertainments products? They are all luxury products, so I wonder where the line lies for someone to boycott this. Rowling is a billionaire and has been raking on money from Harry Potter related products since forever (Lego, merch, films, plays whatnot). This won't change anything. Supporting a game based on her creation written by others that actually includes transgender characters seems more benificial to me, in fact.
I think another interesting conversation that is similar, but not 100% the same, is the choice of some video game review publications to not cover the game at all. When it comes to consumers, I am pretty much 100% in support of people voting with their wallets or even participating in boycotts. I may agree or disagree with the specific boycott, but as a general concept, I'm down with it. For a website like GameSpot to boycott a game though... I dunno. That seems a bit more debatable to me.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2505 on: February 09, 2023, 06:37:57 AM »
I don't think so. Reviewers are free to review whatever they like. Plenty of smaller indie titles that don't get a second of coverage by any major publication. They don't owe anyone a review.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2506 on: February 09, 2023, 07:38:33 AM »
I think another interesting conversation that is similar, but not 100% the same, is the choice of some video game review publications to not cover the game at all. When it comes to consumers, I am pretty much 100% in support of people voting with their wallets or even participating in boycotts. I may agree or disagree with the specific boycott, but as a general concept, I'm down with it. For a website like GameSpot to boycott a game though... I dunno. That seems a bit more debatable to me.

They haven't reviewed it, but they have by doing articles for it. Ironically including a 'review roundup'.

https://www.gamespot.com/search/?header=1&q=hogwarts%20legacy

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2507 on: February 09, 2023, 07:50:05 AM »
I don't think so. Reviewers are free to review whatever they like. Plenty of smaller indie titles that don't get a second of coverage by any major publication. They don't owe anyone a review.
I don't think that's unfair at all.

They haven't reviewed it, but they have by doing articles for it. Ironically including a 'review roundup'.

https://www.gamespot.com/search/?header=1&q=hogwarts%20legacy

Ah, thanks for the correction! For some reason, I thought they boycotted it entirely.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: February 09, 2023, 07:54:11 AM »

I agree, I don't think they have to do a review.  That's not much different than someone boycotting buying the game.  If say a retailer wouldn't sell it out of protest, while their right, I think that would bother me a bit more than a review not being done.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2509 on: February 10, 2023, 10:29:39 AM »
Been really getting into Metroid prime remastered and I'm really enjoying the non-linearity in the game design.

I'm just wandering around, getting lost, Backtracking. Using the map to navigate. Nothing is really spelled out and its been a lot of fun. My only regret is that I did play it back in the day.

The platforming and verticality is pretty sweet too.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:38:42 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2510 on: February 10, 2023, 10:39:56 AM »
I have finished Goldeneye 64. I also finished Aztec on 00 Agent, damn that level is clutch. I did enjoy figuring out strategies for Aztec, but some levels of the regular campaign were really shoddy and frustrating to me. And the tank controls ridiculously bad. The shooting and base gameplay still feels pretty great, which is what kept mr playing after the initial nostalgia rush.  Some really great moments and fun shootouts, but also some badly aged levels for sure.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2511 on: February 10, 2023, 03:54:40 PM »

This game has been getting this attention because the issue has been a very hot topic lately. I doubt the boycotters think they're putting any kind of sizeable dent in Rowling's wallet but look at it this way: a video game is coming out that looks really good but it's based on a game world created by someone whose views you not only despise but you believe those views are actively harmful to you and others like you. Would you be like "Fuck it, they're going to remain rich anyway so I'll just buy their game"?

Been really getting into Metroid prime remastered and I'm really enjoying the non-linearity in the game design.

I'm just wandering around, getting lost, Backtracking. Using the map to navigate. Nothing is really spelled out and its been a lot of fun. My only regret is that I did play it back in the day.

The platforming and verticality is pretty sweet too.

Mang I loved that game.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2512 on: February 10, 2023, 06:30:09 PM »
I have finished Goldeneye 64. I also finished Aztec on 00 Agent...

Wow, top man! I can't remember how far I got as a 00 Agent back in the day, maybe half way through?

If you haven't, turn off the hint system. It is actually fairly linear, but it does a good job of making it feel like it isn't.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2513 on: February 10, 2023, 06:53:29 PM »
Why did they stop making those types of Metroid games after Metroid Prime 3?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2514 on: February 10, 2023, 07:13:31 PM »
As a kid I thought Metroid Prime was boring. I was off course wrong and have never fully played it (I own the GC version, which actually holds up amazingly well). This means I do have a largely new experience waiting for me.

This game has been getting this attention because the issue has been a very hot topic lately. I doubt the boycotters think they're putting any kind of sizeable dent in Rowling's wallet but look at it this way: a video game is coming out that looks really good but it's based on a game world created by someone whose views you not only despise but you believe those views are actively harmful to you and others like you. Would you be like "Fuck it, they're going to remain rich anyway so I'll just buy their game"?

From that point of view I do understand on an individual level.

I am not a stranger to not wanting to buy products based on my feelings though. This very day actually me and my dad decided against going to Roger Waters based on his UN appearance. I volunteer to help refugees of the war, so it does not sit well with me at all. I hope I can get my money back but we won't be attending either way.

In general I find it difficult where the line for me lies for my purchases.

I have finished Goldeneye 64. I also finished Aztec on 00 Agent...

Wow, top man! I can't remember how far I got as a 00 Agent back in the day, maybe half way through?

I did not finish all levels on 00 (yet), at some point you get access to all of them on 00 (after beating the game on mid difficulty?). Aztec is considered the most difficult one, so that was the one to tackle. To me it was fun and rewarding. And I think the experience has helped me on the other levels for 00 agent so far. But as I said, some levels are just annoying and seem to depend on luck (even on mid difficulty).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2515 on: February 11, 2023, 12:50:55 AM »
As is so often will these ill thought out boycotts and protests based on misinformation by the extreme ends of the political spectrum - it's probably brought more hype and attention to the product and actually increased it visibility, early sales reports are huge.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2516 on: February 11, 2023, 04:53:30 AM »
It's a harry potter game. It was always going to be extremely visible and well promoted. It's one of the biggest franchises in the world.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2517 on: February 11, 2023, 04:09:38 PM »
And now I beat all Goldeneye levels on 00 agent! Experience wasn't nearly as bad as I expected for some levels. Aztec is by far the most difficult, but Caverns, Control and Train were intense as well. Control has that defend Natalya bit that is annoying, but I got it in three 00 agent tries, it is doable. Runway and Streets were the most frustrating, fuck those levels.

I never saw Egyptian as a kid (level unlocked by beating every level on 00). It is not a very good level to be honest, a bit dissapointing after Aztec. I checked a guide for it, as it is one of those retro timewasters

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2518 on: February 12, 2023, 04:57:59 PM »
Has anyone been looking forward to Everspace 2? It's been in early access for a while and it finally has a release date for early next month. Looks like it could be a good space combat game.

I've been looking forward to it but I'll wait for a sale. I think my new buying procedure will be to wait until all these games go on sale for $20 or less.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2519 on: February 13, 2023, 06:25:37 AM »

At least do it and STFU about it, though (I don't mean you, I mean the boycotters).  It's like anything else; I LOVE BioShock, all three games, and not everyone else does.  You do you and I'll do me.  The problem with all of this, of course, isn't the boycotting, it's the judgment and intolerance that follows.  If I DO choose to buy the Harry Potter game, because I love Harry Potter, or my kids do, or whatever, doesn't mean that I'm transphobic, and in our current society (at least in America) that's the inference drawn.