Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 164957 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2450 on: January 27, 2023, 02:57:43 AM »
Hi-Fi Rush is an unannounced game that just released and I think it is loads of fun.

It is a rythm third person action game with a lovely cartoon vibe and beautiful cell shaded visuals. Made by Tango (Evil Within games).

It really feels like you are in a saturday morning cartoon and the soundtrack is great. It does not feel like an indie game at all in terms of production values, surprising for a shadow drop.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2451 on: January 27, 2023, 08:20:01 AM »
Made by the same team that did the two Evil Within games. Somehow.

It looks f-ing great. Animation in particular looks sublime.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2452 on: January 27, 2023, 09:10:45 AM »

Yes, it really looks sublime. Combat is load of fun too when the upgrades start stacking up.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2453 on: January 27, 2023, 10:06:19 AM »
Question for you all: Should I buy Cyberpunk 2077 or Elden Ring?
I think it depends on what kind of game you're in the mood for! Cyberpunk is very character and story driven, combined with your typical Ubisoft-style open world game design and an interesting FPS/melee/stealth combat system. Elden Ring is basically just open world Dark Souls. I personally think that Cyberpunk is very good and Elden Ring is amazing, but you can't really go wrong with either as long as you know what genre you're getting into. :tup
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2454 on: January 27, 2023, 02:53:44 PM »

So since this was half the price of Elden Ring and Cyberpunk i decided to give this a go first.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2455 on: January 27, 2023, 05:30:33 PM »
Too bad Forspoken is getting mediocre reviews. I was kind of looking forward to it even though I knew next to nothing about it. I might check it out in a couple years when it's on sale....like a big big sale.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2456 on: January 28, 2023, 02:44:06 AM »
It's 80 euros where I am. I'm curious but there's no way I'm spending that much money on it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2457 on: January 28, 2023, 06:38:14 AM »
It's 80 euros where I am. I'm curious but there's no way I'm spending that much money on it.

Agreed. I can't remember the last game I paid full price for.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2458 on: January 29, 2023, 06:24:43 AM »
I don't mind spending full price on something if I know I will get my money's worth for it, but given I have comparatively little time to play games nowadays, I would only really spend that on a "slam dunk" as the kids would say. And the reviews for this game don't really indicate that it will be anything better than "alright".

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2459 on: January 29, 2023, 06:47:27 AM »
Yeah I'll spend full price if I have the extra cash and it looks like a good game that will last me a while.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2460 on: January 29, 2023, 07:11:11 AM »
I would love for Forspoken to be a great game, it really has a different premise/approach than most AAA games, but what I have seen just kinda sucks and the demo was super middling  It is sad that this game did not pay off, would have loved to have an AAA franchise with the promising aspects of this game..

I highly recommend HiFi Rush. Several stages in and the game is awesome.

Dead Space remake seems great too.

And I was wrong about Stranger Paradise, the game is loads of fun and the bad writing works in a good b-film kind of way, the protagonist Jack oneliners just make me smile.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2461 on: January 31, 2023, 09:45:20 AM »
Too bad Forspoken is getting mediocre reviews. I was kind of looking forward to it even though I knew next to nothing about it. I might check it out in a couple years when it's on sale....like a big big sale.
Maybe this is just me projecting my personal opinions on everyone else, but I feel as though people are starting to get a bit tired of the irreverent, Joss Whedon, quippy style of dialog and storytelling. A lot of games and movies have gone in that direction because of the MCU and while there is definitely a time and a place for it, there's also a bit of fatigue setting in. From what I've seen, Forspoken doesn't look like a terrible game or anything but I just don't feel like dealing with that style of writing for dozens upon dozens of hours. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2462 on: January 31, 2023, 04:30:39 PM »
I finally beat Elden Beast yesterday, Radagon was a cool fight altough much harder than Elden Beast.

Had no idea you kept your level, runes and weapons after you beat the game. I just started journey 2 and oh man I took Margit down on 4 hits.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2463 on: February 01, 2023, 07:49:39 AM »
Holy moly, is Skyrim good.  I think my wife is actually starting to get a little annoyed at me!

Question for the group:  Stormcloaks or Imperials?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2464 on: February 01, 2023, 07:51:54 AM »
Holy moly, is Skyrim good.  I think my wife is actually starting to get a little annoyed at me!

Imperial because you lose White Run as a fast travel option otherwise!   

But yeah, Skyrim was excellent. That's probably in my top 5 games in terms of most hours played.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: February 01, 2023, 08:37:59 AM »
I reply Skyrim almost every year, one of my favorite games. Go imperial. Are you playing the enhanced edition?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: February 01, 2023, 08:52:01 AM »
I reply Skyrim almost every year, one of my favorite games. Go imperial. Are you playing the enhanced edition?

I think so.  I'll go check in a minute.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2467 on: February 03, 2023, 04:31:25 PM »
I checked out Age of Empires 2 on the xbox out of nostalgia, but damn does it work legitimately well on a controller. It seems like a truly excellent port. Some brilliant minds designed these controls and made a great tutorial that is worth a damn.

I have never played an RTS that really worked on a console, but they somehow done it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2468 on: February 05, 2023, 08:42:58 PM »
Maybe this is just me projecting my personal opinions on everyone else, but I feel as though people are starting to get a bit tired of the irreverent, Joss Whedon, quippy style of dialog and storytelling. A lot of games and movies have gone in that direction because of the MCU and while there is definitely a time and a place for it, there's also a bit of fatigue setting in. From what I've seen, Forspoken doesn't look like a terrible game or anything but I just don't feel like dealing with that style of writing for dozens upon dozens of hours. :lol

All I heard was that some of the dialogue was cringey but for Herrick dialogue and story is always secondary to gameplay in these types of games...unfortunately it looks like the gameplay isn't that great. There's a demo but I can't be bothered to download 150 gigs or however much it is. Edit: It's only 42 gigs. Maybe I'll check it out on my day off.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: February 06, 2023, 08:41:35 AM »
Looking over the reddit review thread for Hogwarts I'm pretty pumped to play this game Friday. Anyone else gonna scoop it up?

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2470 on: February 06, 2023, 10:43:35 AM »

Imperial because you lose White Run as a fast travel option otherwise!   

But yeah, Skyrim was excellent. That's probably in my top 5 games in terms of most hours played.

This is the way. Ulric Stormcloak is kinda a dbag anyway.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2471 on: February 06, 2023, 08:30:55 PM »
Looking over the reddit review thread for Hogwarts I'm pretty pumped to play this game Friday. Anyone else gonna scoop it up?

I really enjoyed the books but for whatever reason, I didn't look up anything about the game until I read your post. Open world action RPG sounds like my kinda game. I'll most likely get it on sale...unless it gets amazing reviews and looks like it'll offer many hours of fun.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2472 on: February 07, 2023, 02:54:32 AM »

I really enjoyed the books but for whatever reason, I didn't look up anything about the game until I read your post. Open world action RPG sounds like my kinda game. I'll most likely get it on sale...unless it gets amazing reviews and looks like it'll offer many hours of fun.
I just watched a youtuber livestream it for an hour or so, and I've caught some other reviews, too. It looks phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/@IAmMellowXV if you're interested.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2473 on: February 07, 2023, 04:11:21 AM »
Gameplay looks a bit stilted from footage I've seen. And I prefer not to give JKR any of my cash nowadays.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2474 on: February 07, 2023, 07:07:30 AM »
Gameplay looks a bit stilted from footage I've seen. And I prefer not to give JKR any of my cash nowadays.

Why, because she's pro women? Her opinions aren't the hate filled nonsense that the major game sites are saying they are.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: February 07, 2023, 07:19:42 AM »

Why, because she's pro women? Her opinions aren't the hate filled nonsense that the major game sites are saying they are.

Of course they are!  And she's not entitled to make a dime as long as we don't agree with her! 

I say that to be funny, but an exasperated funny.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2476 on: February 07, 2023, 07:50:51 AM »

Of course they are!  And she's not entitled to make a dime as long as we don't agree with her! 

She's entitled to make money and people who don't like her views are entitled to not give her money. Nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 11:53:49 AM by XJDenton »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2477 on: February 07, 2023, 08:13:27 AM »

She's entitled to make money and people who don't like her views are entitled to not give her money. Nothing wrong with that.

Of course.  That's why the "green" (sarcasm).  It just always seems like peeing in the ocean to me.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2478 on: February 07, 2023, 08:56:14 AM »
I hate it when I screw up the quoting process.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2479 on: February 07, 2023, 11:31:37 AM »

I've read enough of her thoughts on things and the people she calls friends to make my own judgement on her views and the harm they cause, and I am also old and wise enough to make my own purchasing decisions based on that judgement, thank you very much. If you wish to discuss this further, we can take it to a more suitable board.

Stads: you are better than this. Come on now.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 11:37:38 AM by XJDenton »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2480 on: February 07, 2023, 11:37:52 AM »

I've read enough of her thoughts on things and the people she calls friends to make my own judgement on her views and the harm they cause, and I am also old and wise enough to make my own purchasing decisions based on that judgement, thank you very much.

Big problems with the idea of "her views and the harm they cause", but I suppose this is a thread on video games, not erroneous concepts of psychology.  (Where's the emoji for playful punch on the shoulder?)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2481 on: February 07, 2023, 11:44:13 AM »
As I say, if you wish to discuss this further, there are other venues for it.

Online Polarbear

« Reply #2482 on: February 07, 2023, 11:59:02 AM »
I think the deal with Hogwarts Legacy and HP in general is, whether or not you can separate the art and the artist.

For me it's not an issue. Hogwarts Legacy looks pretty awesome and could be something I might try in the future. I'm into big open world games, and Hogwarts Legacy certainly ticks that box.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: February 07, 2023, 12:24:16 PM »

I've read enough of her thoughts on things and the people she calls friends to make my own judgement on her views and the harm they cause, and I am also old and wise enough to make my own purchasing decisions based on that judgement, thank you very much. If you wish to discuss this further, we can take it to a more suitable board.

Stads: you are better than this. Come on now.

Fair enough.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2484 on: February 07, 2023, 12:35:35 PM »
I think the deal with Hogwarts Legacy and HP in general is, whether or not you can separate the art and the artist.

Basically this.  We see this situation all the time with our favorite bands too.