Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 167335 times)

Chino, Sacul and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2415 on: January 12, 2023, 07:20:46 AM »
As I mentioned earlier, I'm playing Witcher 3 next gen and having a great time. It's probably my favorite game so no surprises there. However, I must say that it is an incredibly buggy experience. :lol I replayed Cyberpunk 2077 about a year ago and it's almost on that level. I've experienced everything from flickering to busted NPC animations to not being able to dive underwater to pretty bad music bugs where either the same song gets stuck in a loop or no music starts at all. In hindsight, everyone should have seen the Cyberpunk disaster coming considering how Witcher 3 feels like it's being held together by putty. :corn
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2416 on: January 12, 2023, 07:28:29 AM »
Started Skyrim V, FINALLY.  Bummed I started it on PS4, though.  I forgot how buggy the PS versions of those games are.  I tend to think it will ultimately be a fill in game as I complete quests and tasks around playing other, more immersive, games. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2417 on: January 12, 2023, 09:07:58 AM »
Started Skyrim V, FINALLY.  Bummed I started it on PS4, though.  I forgot how buggy the PS versions of those games are.  I tend to think it will ultimately be a fill in game as I complete quests and tasks around playing other, more immersive, games.

I remember trying that with Skyrim and not enjoying it as much as I should have because of that. The world is so huge, and there so many NPCs, quests, and stories, that if I took even two or three weeks off and came back, I wouldn't remember anything about what I was doing or why. It started feeling like I was booting it up and doing random tasks every now and then, and that was it.   

My favorite play of Skyrim was when I did a 90-100 hours of play without anything else thrown in the mix. It allowed me to really immerse myself in the world and its stories.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2418 on: January 12, 2023, 10:06:13 AM »

I remember trying that with Skyrim and not enjoying it as much as I should have because of that. The world is so huge, and there so many NPCs, quests, and stories, that if I took even two or three weeks off and came back, I wouldn't remember anything about what I was doing or why. It started feeling like I was booting it up and doing random tasks every now and then, and that was it.   

My favorite play of Skyrim was when I did a 90-100 hours of play without anything else thrown in the mix. It allowed me to really immerse myself in the world and its stories.

Hmmm; that's something I hadn't considered.   

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2419 on: January 12, 2023, 10:45:37 AM »
Never played Skyrim.  Might have to give that a go.  Right now I'm leveling up my 3 guardians in Destiny 2 getting ready for the Lightfall expansion release at the end of next month.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2420 on: January 12, 2023, 11:18:38 AM »

For me, that's how I would need to play these types of RPG games.  Once I step away, there's almost no way I'm going to come back.  That's also what happened with Cyberpunk, I was very close to beating the game but I needed a break and sadly, I just could never go back to playing it now.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2421 on: January 13, 2023, 02:55:57 PM »
Do any of you mangs play Warframe?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2422 on: January 13, 2023, 06:34:26 PM »
I do, I'm not great but I hop on from time to time

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2423 on: January 13, 2023, 07:10:58 PM »
I do, I'm not great but I hop on from time to time

I started playing it again after a year or two. I never progressed very far but I'm getting into it now. It's a weird game with not much ingame direction. I've never been a multiplayer herrick but it's not so bad playing with other sentients. I can solo almost every mission type at least at the level I'm at now.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #2424 on: January 17, 2023, 10:07:22 AM »
I bought the Sepiroth amiibo and I think it's really well made.

I think amiibo have become notably better since some of the earlier ones. I own Cloud (p1), Snake, Simon, Pikachu, Bayonetta, and Banjo.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2425 on: January 18, 2023, 09:19:56 AM »

I downloaded it over a year ago and played a little.  Haven't played much since.  Not that it seemed like a bad game.  It was pretty decent from what I recall, but as usual I get distracted sometimes and forget to go back to games.  :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2426 on: January 18, 2023, 09:47:38 AM »

I downloaded it over a year ago and played a little.  Haven't played much since.  Not that it seemed like a bad game.  It was pretty decent from what I recall, but as usual I get distracted sometimes and forget to go back to games.  :dunno:

It's easy to lose interest in Warframe because there's so much shit to do with very little direction.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2427 on: January 18, 2023, 10:54:42 AM »
Yeah, I don't think I got into it far enough to make that determination.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2428 on: January 19, 2023, 01:24:45 AM »
For anyone that's played Elden Ring this feels very familiar.  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0QrZvg7QIgpCbON63OPDLhEtNKBXvWPn
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2429 on: January 19, 2023, 08:21:44 AM »
Yeah, that 1st episode was the classic that started it all.  Hilarious!  :lol

Online ErHaO

« Reply #2430 on: January 20, 2023, 07:20:25 AM »

For anyone that's played Elden Ring this feels very familiar.  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0QrZvg7QIgpCbON63OPDLhEtNKBXvWPn

Oh shit didn't know this became a series  :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2431 on: January 22, 2023, 03:30:44 AM »
I got my PS5, and I have to say I'm very impressed! :tup

God of War looks amazing and runs like butter! What impressed me the most was the almost complete absence of load times. From start it's 5-10 seconds and the system boots up to the Home Screen. Another 10-20 seconds and I'm playing GOW: Ragnarök. This feels like a huge leap compared to my old machine, which sometimes took 2 minutes just to boot up to the Home Screen.

Only problem I've found so far, is the roughly 600GB storage space. That is going to fill up in no time at all. Other than that, I love it and it feels so futuristic compared to my old Xbox. :tup

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2432 on: January 23, 2023, 06:42:49 AM »
I got my PS5, and I have to say I'm very impressed! :tup

God of War looks amazing and runs like butter! What impressed me the most was the almost complete absence of load times. From start it's 5-10 seconds and the system boots up to the Home Screen. Another 10-20 seconds and I'm playing GOW: Ragnarök. This feels like a huge leap compared to my old machine, which sometimes took 2 minutes just to boot up to the Home Screen.

Only problem I've found so far, is the roughly 600GB storage space. That is going to fill up in no time at all. Other than that, I love it and it feels so futuristic compared to my old Xbox. :tup

Yea, the PS5 SSD is insane! I really appreciate it when playing open world games that utilize fast travel. You basically teleport wherever you need to go within three seconds :lol

Online ErHaO

« Reply #2433 on: January 23, 2023, 07:25:14 AM »
The lack of loading times on modern platforms is a bliss. Zapping around in Horizon Forbidden West and Ghost of Tsushima is great.

And God of War Ragnarok runs at like 100 fps on peformance mode. I can't say I saw a big difference with the resolution mode to be honest, the image quality is very crisp. To be honest I would not mind more devs aiming at incredibly well optimised "ps4" graphics.

I am now playing Stranger of Paradise on the PS5 and it looks rough compared to God of War.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2434 on: January 23, 2023, 07:27:52 AM »
I got an alert this morning that Costco has the PS5 back in stock. It's an $800 bundle though that comes with a game a don't want, an extra controller I don't need, a headset I also don't need, and $100 to the PS Store. I'm pretty sure you're only saving $40 or so going that route.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #2435 on: January 24, 2023, 06:11:59 PM »
I got an alert this morning that Costco has the PS5 back in stock. It's an $800 bundle though that comes with a game a don't want, an extra controller I don't need, a headset I also don't need, and $100 to the PS Store. I'm pretty sure you're only saving $40 or so going that route.

PS5 availability has been increasing significantly over the last month or so. I honestly would not bite on big bundles anymore unless the situation is really different in the US.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2436 on: January 25, 2023, 08:35:40 AM »
I saw a PS5 at staples the other day. I think it was just the console (and everything that usually comes with that) and God of War Ragnarok. Might be worth a look if you're searching for a PS5 but don't want to pay for some crazy bundle.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2437 on: January 25, 2023, 09:01:34 AM »
Question for you all: Should I buy Cyberpunk 2077 or Elden Ring?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2438 on: January 25, 2023, 09:08:15 AM »

I only played Cyberpunk, so my opinion may not mean much, but considering all the praise of Elden Ring, I'd say get Elden Ring.  Cyberpunk isn't a bad game (and I assume they fixed the bugs by now) but it's also doesn't appear to be as special as everyone says Elden Ring is.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2439 on: January 25, 2023, 09:18:48 AM »
I do like me some eurojank though.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2440 on: January 25, 2023, 09:52:08 AM »
Elden ring I thoroughly enjoyed

Cyberpunk I got bored after a few hours and lost interest

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2441 on: January 25, 2023, 09:57:31 AM »
Cyberpunk I got bored after a few hours and lost interest

I got bored too.  I put maybe 50+ hours into it though, but never finished the main story because I just lost interest.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2442 on: January 25, 2023, 11:02:53 AM »
That's how I've been with the four Far Cry games I've played.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #2443 on: January 25, 2023, 11:06:56 AM »
I think Cyberpunk is really good, but I played it after a lot of major overhauls and had low expectations that were blown away. I view it as an excellent action somewhat linear RPG with an elaborate hub world, it by no means is an open world sandbox. And the plot is mostly linear as well.

Elden Ring is amazing and my game of the year last year, but it is far from perfect too if you ask me.

Both have really satisfying progression and don't feel grindy (in the states that I played them in). Thus far, they probably form my top two of this generation, now that I think about it. Elden Ring first, Cyberpunk second.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2444 on: January 25, 2023, 11:14:29 AM »
I just saw on Steam that Rockstar is selling GTA-IV The Compelte Edition (Base game and both DLCs) for $7.

I never played either of the DLCs, and don't really remember much from the base game, so I figured I would buy it. Apparently I bought IV on PC years ago and never played it, but the download has been updated to include The Complete Edition and it's not going to cost me anything.

:metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2445 on: January 25, 2023, 11:23:01 AM »
The Ballad of Gay Tony was awesome

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2446 on: January 25, 2023, 01:07:20 PM »

Cyberpunk is MUCH more my style of game, which is why I completed that and didn't get all that far in Elden Ring. That being said, I think Elden Ring is a much better game, so from a neutral perspective, that's definitely the choice. And if you already enjoy the FromSoftware style, then this is a no brainer. Only reason I'd go with Cyberpunk is if you're looking to scratch that more traditional big open world itch.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2447 on: January 25, 2023, 03:51:39 PM »
I mean I was sooo hyped for Cyberpunk years before the release and while the game didn't deserve the crusade it got, it still could've been so much more and it had the potential to be a game changer with what it promised. However I enjoyed it and was able to appreciate it despite everything. Looking forward to the expansion!

With Elden Ring I didn't know smack about playing anything from FromSoftware and had no preconceived thoughts about the game other than knowing about the Dark Souls series and it's difficulty. That game just completly devoured my soul for a couple of months and it's no doubt GOTY for me. Was that because of the lack of hype for the game before playing it? I actually don't think so. The game on release was in it's package form such a complete game from the start with a suprisingly hefty amount of content. Of course engaging gameplay and the world they created was a big factor too.

I have 83 hours in Cyberpunk and 202 hours in Elden Ring and haven't touched final boss yet.

Throwing taste and prefered genres out Elden Ring is such a better game in so many ways imo.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2448 on: January 25, 2023, 03:52:02 PM »

Both if you can swing it. I enjoyed Cyberpunk a lot especially since starting it after they patched in a ton of bug fixes. Some really cool missions and overall a very solid experience. Elden Ring is a bit better and totally sucked me in. Definitely the most accessible Fromsoft game and the open world really helps in bouncing off a boss, retooling in another area, and heading back to conquer earlier problem fights. My only complaint would be that the NPC quests triggers are still obscure so there's no shame in using a guide to look up when and where certain questlines may fail.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2449 on: January 26, 2023, 11:15:50 PM »
Speaking of Elden Ring I didn't know you could summon Melina, sadly only for Margott I think.
Kinda crazy that they design and give her fighting animations only to be used as a summon once.
The only character that deploys an Erdtree when she dies that heals you.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 11:21:02 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »