Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172083 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2345 on: December 12, 2022, 09:53:59 AM »
Just a few words to the wise if you're a NFS fan like me.  NFS: Unbound is basically a rinse and repeat from the previous game with a few new things thrown in.  This franchise might be wise to start getting back to their roots.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2346 on: December 12, 2022, 09:59:36 AM »
What's Deathloop?

Made by the same peeps as Prey/Dishonoured. Pretty similar to Mooncrash in concept: you go through the same scenario in different loops and gain a bit of power/knowledge each time.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2347 on: December 12, 2022, 12:08:06 PM »
Deathloop is a good game. I rank it the lowest of the Arkane games but the baselevel is still good. I just wish there was a bit more freedom in tackling the loop at the end of the game.  I think they could expand this concept even further, especially if they incorporate some elements from the Hitman games.

The trailers for Final Fantasy XVI have been god-tier, I really hope it delivers. I have a good feeling about it. Together with the new Zelda my most anticipated game next year.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #2348 on: December 12, 2022, 12:46:36 PM »
Anyone else just not get the hype for Elden Ring? A coworker of mine kept ranting and raving about how awesome it was when it first came out so I bought it back in March. I played it for a week, got bored, and didn’t touch it again until yesterday. I played it for an hour and got bored yet again. I have no desire to give it a third try.
I see it’s gotten a couple GOTY awards and I just don’t get it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2349 on: December 12, 2022, 01:21:58 PM »
Souls-likes are not for everyone.  Elden Ring is no exception.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2350 on: December 12, 2022, 01:48:19 PM »

It might seem like its supposed to be, based on all the hype. Helps to remember that critics are not the same as casual gamers, they're people who have spent so much time playing "normal" games that something like Elden Ring seems tailor made for them.

I've got a problem with it. For an industry that claims to champion accessibility, it seems a bit unfair to that a game with zero accessibility options is winning Game of the Year so many places around the web. But that might just be a personal cope. I don't have any major accessibility hurdles to get over, but I was not able to get very far in it at all, and also feel pretty removed from the hype (despite completing Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, and Bloodborne previously)/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2351 on: December 12, 2022, 02:51:50 PM »
What's Deathloop?

Made by the same peeps as Prey/Dishonoured. Pretty similar to Mooncrash in concept: you go through the same scenario in different loops and gain a bit of power/knowledge each time.

I can't decide if I like Mooncrash or not, to be honest.  I finally killed a Moon Whatever Shark, but then I died and have to repeat the sim.  I get that that's part of the charm, but is it?  IS IT?  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:31:52 AM by Stadler »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2352 on: December 12, 2022, 03:01:50 PM »
Some of my favourite games of the last decade have been rogue-lites, so I'm not the person to ask. :P

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2353 on: December 12, 2022, 08:38:11 PM »
Anyone else just not get the hype for Elden Ring? A coworker of mine kept ranting and raving about how awesome it was when it first came out so I bought it back in March. I played it for a week, got bored, and didn’t touch it again until yesterday. I played it for an hour and got bored yet again. I have no desire to give it a third try.

Are you a fan of those types of games? I've only beaten Dark Souls 1 and I vowed never to buy another game like that again. However, I ended up buying a bunch of games like Dark Souls and didn't beat any of them  :lol

I might try Elden Ring when it's deeply discounted. It looks like an incredible game but I know I'll most likely give up on it because I just do not have the patience for these types of games.

What's Deathloop?

I can't decide if I like Mooncrash or not, to be honest.  I finally killed a Moon Whatever, but then I died and have to repeat the sim.  I get that that's part of the charm, but is it?  IS IT?  :) :) :)

I'm not a roguefan at all and I was so disappointed when I discovered Mooncrash was a rogue-like game. I played it for an hour and uninstalled it. This is strange because I'm really enjoying Deathloop which is kind of like a rogue game but perhaps not really.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2354 on: December 13, 2022, 02:07:27 AM »
I'd give Sekiro or Bloodbourne a go if you are having trouble getting into Souls-likes. Bloodborne funnels you into a fun playstyle much more efficiently than the Souls series does since it removes the options that result in tedious, grindy play. Sekiro is also much more narrow in its focus of how it should be played, so you aren't overwhelmed by (potentially bad) options as well.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: December 13, 2022, 04:29:22 AM »

Yeah, I've never got it either. I find the art direction of From Software games very off-putting, the "story-telling" incomprehensible, and the game play punishing. That's not why I play games, so I don't buy them.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2356 on: December 13, 2022, 07:25:52 AM »
I bought ER knowing full well that I probably wouldn't like it but wanted to check it out and say I at least tried it. I'd say the most intriguing part of it for me was the open world exploration.  Most of the time had no idea where to go but basically just cruised around looking for shit.  That got old quick.  I'm a very impatient gamer that needs to progress in a consistent and timely manner.  Too many games to be played and not enough hours in the day. :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #2357 on: December 13, 2022, 07:43:05 AM »
Yeah the open world thing (for any game) gets old quickly to me if you don’t have some kind of clear goal. ER just drops you in this world and you just gotta figure it out.

I bought ER knowing full well that I probably wouldn't like it but wanted to check it out and say I at least tried it. I'd say the most intriguing part of it for me was the open world exploration.  Most of the time had no idea where to go but basically just cruised around looking for shit.  That got old quick.  I'm a very impatient gamer that needs to progress in a consistent and timely manner.  Too many games to be played and not enough hours in the day. :dunno:

This exactly.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2358 on: December 13, 2022, 07:46:25 AM »
Yeah the open world thing (for any game) gets old quickly to me if you don’t have some kind of clear goal. ER just drops you in this world and you just gotta figure it out.

This exactly.

Did they add the ability to mark stuff on the map? I thought they did that. I know a lot of people dislike "hand holding" but I've never had a problem with map markers or clearly defined goals and I'm an older gaming mang who grew up playing games without that stuff.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2359 on: December 13, 2022, 09:12:14 AM »
I'm fine with manual map markers. I will say I enjoy games that let you find stuff for yourself instead of spoon feeding it to you.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2360 on: December 13, 2022, 09:27:25 AM »
Map markers are cool.  I don't mind figuring shit out (most of the time I usually do).  My thing is, I'd kinda like to know where I'm going in a game cause I'm always afraid of missing something.  Maybe something that is missable and can't be retrieved later in the game.  I got this weird thing about collecting shit.  Just love finding collectibles.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2361 on: December 13, 2022, 11:17:03 AM »
Depends on what the map marker is for. If it's a Rockstar style game, where a lot of the "open world" is really peripheral table dressing simply meant to set tone and not necessarily be focused on, map markers are great. With stuff like ER and BotW, you're meant to turn over every leaf of the world, so I could see how map markers might inadvertently discourage the player from moving off the beaten path.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2362 on: December 13, 2022, 01:27:11 PM »

It might seem like its supposed to be, based on all the hype. Helps to remember that critics are not the same as casual gamers, they're people who have spent so much time playing "normal" games that something like Elden Ring seems tailor made for them.

I've got a problem with it. For an industry that claims to champion accessibility, it seems a bit unfair to that a game with zero accessibility options is winning Game of the Year so many places around the web. But that might just be a personal cope. I don't have any major accessibility hurdles to get over, but I was not able to get very far in it at all, and also feel pretty removed from the hype (despite completing Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, and Bloodborne previously)/

As someone who had never played a Soulsborne until last year and who has only played a couple in total (Demon's Souls and Elden Ring), one of my big takeaways was that the difficulty of these games is a bit overplayed. It's not that they aren't hard - they definitely are - but rather that those challenges can be overcome and actually are overcome by a surprising number of players.

For example, before I started playing the games, I assumed that maybe only the top 5-10% of players could actually beat them based on how they were discussed. However, the numbers for Elden Ring are actually super encouraging. The game has probably sold 20 million copies by now, which means it was picked up by a lot of casual players, and yet 33% of people were able to beat Melania (one of the hardest bosses in the game) per PlayStation trophy stats. To put that in perspective, a lot of games aren't completed by 33% of players even if they're easy. :lol

I'm not saying that Elden Ring shouldn't have better accessibility options or that critics aren't out of touch... Both of those things may be true. I think what I'm trying to say is that Elden Ring actually did end up having more appeal to casual gamers than I might have expected.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2363 on: December 14, 2022, 05:50:32 AM »
I think I may bounce on God of War: Rangarok. I had (yet another) really frustrating experience last night.

I was fighting The Maven and had to go down to "Give Me Story" to get through the fight.

Something about the combat in this game just does not click for me at all. I do not really understand what or why I'm doing different actions and getting cornered in a fight like that there's no way to naturally correct.

Anyway after suffering the humiliation of having to go down from "Give me Grace" to "Give Me Story", I went outside again and Freya was all like "Hey let's go free that 2nd Harufluga!" and the mere thought of going through a bunch of lever puzzles again followed by another boss I'll probably die to 10x times without understanding why just made me think "I'm good".

Part of me would like to see it out for the story but I think my problem is a lot deeper than just "it's too hard" or "I don't like the combat"; the overall flow of the game just feels like going through the motions to me, whether it be the style of puzzles, the walk and talk, the combat... all of the individual elements just kinda evoke a groan from me on their own.

Oh well, just not for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2364 on: December 14, 2022, 10:08:18 AM »
I think I may bounce on God of War: Rangarok. I had (yet another) really frustrating experience last night.

I was fighting The Maven and had to go down to "Give Me Story" to get through the fight.

Something about the combat in this game just does not click for me at all. I do not really understand what or why I'm doing different actions and getting cornered in a fight like that there's no way to naturally correct.

Anyway after suffering the humiliation of having to go down from "Give me Grace" to "Give Me Story", I went outside again and Freya was all like "Hey let's go free that 2nd Harufluga!" and the mere thought of going through a bunch of lever puzzles again followed by another boss I'll probably die to 10x times without understanding why just made me think "I'm good".

Part of me would like to see it out for the story but I think my problem is a lot deeper than just "it's too hard" or "I don't like the combat"; the overall flow of the game just feels like going through the motions to me, whether it be the style of puzzles, the walk and talk, the combat... all of the individual elements just kinda evoke a groan from me on their own.

Oh well, just not for me.

You touched on a big point for me, too:   there are games - parts of Assassin's Creed, parts of Skyrim: Oblivion - that are just box-checking.  Then there are games that aren't really that different - Thief, Bioshock (all three for me), Prey, the rest of Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil 2 - that are so immersive and fun that I don't care how many times I have to pull that lever or collect that jewel, it never gets old.   I guess it's like music that way; even the bands I LOVE once in a while put out albums I don't go back to very often. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2365 on: December 15, 2022, 06:38:07 AM »
I started a new playthrough of The Witcher 3 with the next-gen update on PS5. It isn't a night and day difference but it's still clearly a step up from the original, at least on consoles. I also love the haptic feedback of the controller. It's basically a free remaster, as opposed to a lot of these other next-gen upgrades where you end up paying $10 for a small frame rate and resolution boost. :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2366 on: December 16, 2022, 07:02:42 AM »
Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga and High on Life were recent gamepass additions and I decided to give them a go. I am having a great time with both.

High on Life did not review very well from the looks of it, but it is one of those games that if it clicks, it clicks. It really depends on your preferences for humor. I did turn the dialouge options to occasional (I do reccommend this). But as someone who loves Rick and Morty, Solar Opposites and Trover, this is kind of my jam. Aside from the humor I think the worlds are visually appealing and atmospheric. It gives me the vibes of a mishmash between Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ratchet and Clank and Oddworld in that regard. One thing I will disagree with (to a large degree, actually) with seemingly most reviewers: I think the gameplay is good. The shooting feels pretty solid and the leveldesing thus far is good, with a lot of verticality in the combat and exploration. Slinging around in the air and shooting stuff feels good to me and works really well on a controller. It is a bit like Halo Infinite-lite and Doom 2016-lite. The first bossfight was pretty fun.

Lego Star Wars has a lot of passion to it. I wasn't big on the previous Lego titles, but this one feels good to play and seems like a great loveletter to Star Wars. The campaign is basically all 9 mainline films. I just did a bit of a New Hope, but my impression was very positive and the pacing of A New Hope feels well done. It all feels very polished and it seems to have a shitton of content.

I started a new playthrough of The Witcher 3 with the next-gen update on PS5. It isn't a night and day difference but it's still clearly a step up from the original, at least on consoles. I also love the haptic feedback of the controller. It's basically a free remaster, as opposed to a lot of these other next-gen upgrades where you end up paying $10 for a small frame rate and resolution boost. :lol

This is one thing I dislike about Sony this generation very much, they are all over the place with their upgrades and the pricing. For Death Stranding there is the Directors Cut, for Ghost of Tsushima there is the directors cut but it doesn't actually upgrade the game, that is a seperate purchase. Then there is Spider-Man which is apparently locked as an ultimate edition of Miles morales. etc.  Really a bummer as someone with a large PS4 collection.

For Xbox mostly one version is all and they even had a dedicated team upgrading a big amount of titles over the years (from 360 to now, including third party titles).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 07:09:54 AM by ErHaO »

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2367 on: December 16, 2022, 10:40:17 AM »
Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga and High on Life were recent gamepass additions and I decided to give them a go. I am having a great time with both.

High on Life did not review very well from the looks of it, but it is one of those games that if it clicks, it clicks. It really depends on your preferences for humor. I did turn the dialouge options to occasional (I do reccommend this). But as someone who loves Rick and Morty, Solar Opposites and Trover, this is kind of my jam. Aside from the humor I think the worlds are visually appealing and atmospheric. It gives me the vibes of a mishmash between Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ratchet and Clank and Oddworld in that regard. One thing I will disagree with (to a large degree, actually) with seemingly most reviewers: I think the gameplay is good. The shooting feels pretty solid and the leveldesing thus far is good, with a lot of verticality in the combat and exploration. Slinging around in the air and shooting stuff feels good to me and works really well on a controller. It is a bit like Halo Infinite-lite and Doom 2016-lite. The first bossfight was pretty fun.

High On Life seems to have reviewed well everywhere, unless you are counting critics reviews, which I don't follow at all.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2368 on: December 16, 2022, 04:15:48 PM »

High On Life seems to have reviewed well everywhere, unless you are counting critics reviews, which I don't follow at all.

Yeah I usually just skim some reviews (summaries) and look at metacritic to get a gauge what to play next. But I should not be doing that to be honest. This game is averaging in the 60's. Thus far it is an 8-9/10 game to me. I totally get some people not vibing with this humor, but the game crafted around it feels like quality to me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: December 16, 2022, 04:21:33 PM »
Lego Star Wars has a lot of passion to it. I wasn't big on the previous Lego titles, but this one feels good to play and seems like a great loveletter to Star Wars. The campaign is basically all 9 mainline films. I just did a bit of a New Hope, but my impression was very positive and the pacing of A New Hope feels well done. It all feels very polished and it seems to have a shitton of content.

I wasn't keen on the two different Lego games I tried playing before.  Maybe the Star Wars is better, but honestly, I just think those games aren't for me.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2370 on: December 18, 2022, 12:44:57 PM »
High on Life is still great. After some unlocks, the traversal feels good and the verticality of the combat shines. There are a lot of neat moments and some nice unlockables. I just warped in a cinema and watched like 20 minutes of an actual real-life crappy b-film film with the guys from RedLetterMedia talking over it.

I wasn't keen on the two different Lego games I tried playing before.  Maybe the Star Wars is better, but honestly, I just think those games aren't for me.

I am not sure where the difference lies for me, as msot lego games stuff left me cold, but I think the new Lego Star Wars is very entertaining to me.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2371 on: December 18, 2022, 04:09:59 PM »
Replaying Alien Isolation and it still holds up years later interms of graphics, atmosphere and it still scares the crap out of me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2372 on: December 19, 2022, 06:53:05 AM »

I personally find that critic reviews are usually pretty reliable, except every once in a while, they completely miss the mark. Days Gone was one of those games for me. I didn't think it was a masterpiece or anything, but according to the critics, it was a well below average game. :lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2373 on: December 21, 2022, 03:21:53 AM »
It does look great. But I started playing and immediately realized I'm bored of The Witcher 3. So I started playing Lego Lord of the Rings.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2374 on: December 27, 2022, 08:54:29 PM »
Got Overcooked for the kids for Christmas. Fast-paced, fun co-op gameplay. Easy enough for the 11 year old to grasp right away.

BiLhighly recommended Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Got on Steam for $5. Haven't played yet but excited to check it out.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online faizoff

« Reply #2375 on: December 27, 2022, 09:16:41 PM »
The Epic store had Death Stranding as their free game on Christmas day, installed it but yet to play. Playing Deliver Us The Moon right now, mystery puzzle game on Moon with some cool Ray Tracing. Love these type of solo games.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2376 on: December 28, 2022, 03:28:52 AM »
Over the Hollidays, one retailer in my country had some PS5's in stock so I pushed the button and ordered one!

I'm excited, last Playstation console I had was the PS2 Slim ages ago. :lol

Also included in the package is GOW: Ragnarok which looks awesome, and should keep me busy for a while.

My PS5 should arrive in about 3 weeks, can't wait!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: December 28, 2022, 06:39:22 AM »
Wow, three weeks to get a package across Finland? That seems like a long time.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2378 on: December 28, 2022, 01:42:30 PM »
Wow, three weeks to get a package across Finland? That seems like a long time.

To be clear, it seem's that they don't have these in stock yet, but they arrive early next month. I was able to buy one already. Our postal service is pretty decent all things considered, and packages travel around pretty seamlessly. It usually won't take them this long. :biggrin:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2379 on: December 28, 2022, 02:28:36 PM »
Gotcha.