Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172097 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2275 on: November 15, 2022, 06:59:34 AM »
GOWR is really blowing me away thus far. I think it's going to be a toss up between that and ER for GOTY. I don't have many bad things to say about either; they're just incredible. The video game industry can be a real dumpster fire at times but it's games like these that make you realize what a great time it is to be a gamer.

I also saw that Witcher 3 is getting a next-gen upgrade next month. It looks like they're going the extra mile despite it being a free upgrade. I'm curious to see how they incorporate fan-made mods. Are those now just a part of the game or will they give you the options for which to include? If the mods are purely visual, then I'm assuming they'll just be included, but I would personally prefer to have the option for whether or not to change the core gameplay.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2276 on: November 17, 2022, 01:00:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm lovin' GoWR.  It just keeps getting better all the time.  :hefdaddy  Got all next week off too.  I'm gonna be a gamin' fool!  :yarr :corn
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2277 on: November 17, 2022, 02:38:39 PM »
Warzone 2's release yesterday has been somewhat of a disaster. 

It seems it crashed the battlenet downloads so no one can download the game, but not only that, anyone who needs to update or download any other game on the battlenet platform can't do it either.  This may be fixed now (although their twitter account hasn't said a word), but it wasn't when I went to bed last night.

Luckily, they also put the game on Steam so I was able to download and play last night.  Actually kind of cool how my account works on both Steam and Battlenet.  Anyway, the game is buggy AF  :lol however, the few times I got into a game where it wasn't messed up in some way, it was a lot of fun.  The proximity chat is going to make for a lot of very funny moments.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2278 on: November 17, 2022, 04:32:33 PM »

It seems it crashed the battlenet downloads so no one can download the game, but not only that, anyone who needs to update or download any other game on the battlenet platform can't do it either.  This may be fixed now (although their twitter account hasn't said a word), but it wasn't when I went to bed last night.

Luckily, they also put the game on Steam so I was able to download and play last night.  Actually kind of cool how my account works on both Steam and Battlenet.  Anyway, the game is buggy AF  :lol however, the few times I got into a game where it wasn't messed up in some way, it was a lot of fun.  The proximity chat is going to make for a lot of very funny moments.
Is it still just Battle Royale nonsense?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2279 on: November 17, 2022, 04:59:06 PM »

Is it still just Battle Royale nonsense?

No, there are two modes.  The BR nonsense and they have a new mode called DMZ.  It was labelled as the COD version of Escape from Tarkov.  I played a few rounds of it yesterday, and while I never played EFT, I would say it's a more casual and lesser version of it.  The main reason to play is to unlock guns and camos.  The secondary reason to play would be to level up as it's mostly against AI and much easier to get XP.  I feel like it's an online co-op mode really with both PvE and PvP elements and a small story element to it.

Also, now that I'm home, seems the battlenet issues are resolved.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2280 on: November 18, 2022, 04:43:31 AM »
I tried a bit of DMZ yesterday and it was kinda fun actually.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: November 18, 2022, 08:18:27 AM »
I tried a bit of DMZ yesterday and it was kinda fun actually.

My friend liked it, I was bored with it.  I think the extractions can be fun, but I'm not huge on playing PvE online games. 

I will say this, I'm obsessed with the proximity chat.  I've seen so many hilarious clips from streamers having fun with it and I had a lot of good moments last night myself.  It's just great running into a village and all of a sudden you hear a team talking about you.  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2282 on: November 18, 2022, 08:21:34 AM »
I played Warzone 2 on release and it was a disaster :lol. I had a lot of fun though when I was in the game. I played a few rounds of 3rd person trios and that really isn't for me.

I'll give DMZ a go today.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2283 on: November 18, 2022, 08:22:52 AM »
I played Warzone 2 on release and it was a disaster :lol. I had a lot of fun though when I was in the game. I played a few rounds of 3rd person trios and that really isn't for me.

I'll give DMZ a go today.

Yesterday was a MUCH better experience, day 1 launch was rough.  I haven't tried warzone in 3rd person, but the multiplayer 3rd person mode wasn't for me. 

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2284 on: November 18, 2022, 05:23:18 PM »
I haven't played Call of Duty since the original X-Box version. Oh, and I shot some nazi zombies and drove a snowmobile down a hill with my bff.

So I just tried the DMZ thing, and I'm really digging it. I don't like playing with strangers, though, and exfil can be a little rough solo.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2285 on: November 19, 2022, 01:35:27 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2286 on: November 21, 2022, 04:12:55 AM »
Man, the new Pokemon looks laughably bad. After Sword and Shield I wasn't going to buy it anyways. Those games scored really well and if you ask me if it wasn't branded Pokemon, those games would be forgotten in a day. I found Sword incredibly mediocre regardless of the bad graphics, animations, and sound.

God of War Ragnarok is amazing. It plays and looks (almost) the same as 2018, but with a larger scope, more variety and more setpieces.  The writing thus far is on point, a lot of compelling/touching character moments and I do like the slightly increased presence of humor. Also, if you play this game do not skip the sidequests. Some really nice setpieces, character development, bossfights etc. are to be found in the favour questlines.

As Sony is having some good black friday deals I am thinking to get myself a 3D pulse headset. Not expecting audiophile tier cans, but having a wireless set in my setup would be nice and 70 euro seems like a good price (I also want them for VR).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2287 on: November 21, 2022, 06:15:14 AM »
As Sony is having some good black friday deals I am thinking to get myself a 3D pulse headset. Not expecting audiophile tier cans, but having a wireless set in my setup would be nice and 70 euro seems like a good price (I also want them for VR).

I have the 3D Pulse headset. Very comfy, great positioning audio, great battery. I've never tried the microphone, because I don't play online. I like them quite a bit.  But I only game a couple of times per week for a few hours each session.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2288 on: November 21, 2022, 06:25:13 AM »
Man, the new Pokemon looks laughably bad. After Sword and Shield I wasn't going to buy it anyways. Those games scored really well and if you ask me if it wasn't branded Pokemon, those games would be forgotten in a day. I found Sword incredibly mediocre regardless of the bad graphics, animations, and sound.
I haven't played a Pokemon game in years, but it does seem as though (from the outside looking in) those games are no longer being made with much ambition or even with the level of professional pride that you'd expect from (I heard) the largest media franchise in the world. It's a weird situation because at its core, the classic Pokemon gameplay design is comforting, nostalgic, relaxing, and satisfying for many people. If you change it too much, you'll disappoint more people than you'll please, but at the same time, the games need to at least run well and evolve (no pun intended) over time.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2289 on: November 21, 2022, 06:28:34 AM »
I haven't played a Pokemon game in years, but it does seem as though (from the outside looking in) those games are no longer being made with much ambition or even with the level of professional pride that you'd expect from (I heard) the largest media franchise in the world. It's a weird situation because at its core, the classic Pokemon gameplay design is comforting, nostalgic, relaxing, and satisfying for many people. If you change it too much, you'll disappoint more people than you'll please, but at the same time, the games need to at least run well and evolve (no pun intended) over time.

Pokemon lost me at X and Y. I haven't been interested in anything since. I think Nintendo needs to make a proper council if the Pokemon franchise is to ever evolve to the next level. 

The new Pokemon Snap on the Switch is pretty good though.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2290 on: November 21, 2022, 09:53:08 AM »

I actually don't want them to change the formula (much), I want them to make a good game using that formula. I recently played Firered on the GBA and was surprised how good it still was. Quick snappy gameplay and a decent amount of challenge. Pokemon Sword was slow as hell, there was not a single instance where I had to use tactics. It being aimed at kids is a nonsene excuse, I was a little kid when I played Red and Crystal. And the animations looked terrible, making attacks often look like pathetic wet farts. If you do turn based combat, you need satisfying attack animations in my opinion. Turn based RPG's from the 90's already had that, there is no excuse. Not to mention the lack of quality sound design, voice acting, or proper cutscenes.

I don't buy this being hard to realise for a game like this. Pokemon is one of the largest media franchises ever. Gamefreak is a smallish studio (for a big IP) and released two open world titles within year, and it shows.

And if they invest into something good, they can build upon it for years, as most large franchises do (Assassins Creed, for example).

I have the 3D Pulse headset. Very comfy, great positioning audio, great battery. I've never tried the microphone, because I don't play online. I like them quite a bit.  But I only game a couple of times per week for a few hours each session.

Yeah I think I will buy one later this week. The fit is a bit loose on my head (tried a dummy in the store), but it felt comfortable enough and this price doesn't break the bank.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2291 on: November 21, 2022, 10:35:54 AM »
I only recently started my retro gaming and 80s nostalgia room.  I only wish I had started 5 years ago or earlier cuz pricing is insane right now.

Here's my setup (I know my flat TV is too small and crooked, working on it):

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2292 on: November 21, 2022, 10:49:54 AM »
That's seriously bad ass.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2293 on: November 21, 2022, 11:04:58 AM »
Pretty certain when I was clearing out a lab a few years ago I threw out a flat screen Trinitron. In retrospect, shoulda kept that bad boy.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2294 on: November 21, 2022, 11:41:35 AM »
That room... :hefdaddy

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2295 on: November 21, 2022, 05:49:12 PM »
Very awesome and I remember that Hot Wheels carpet!  :metal

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2296 on: November 22, 2022, 05:36:03 AM »
That looks great!

Online faizoff

« Reply #2297 on: November 22, 2022, 06:29:09 AM »
Amazing setup, sorry for the sidetrack, what lights do you use for the shelves? the green & blue hues are great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2298 on: November 22, 2022, 06:32:27 AM »
I'd literally pay you money to let me play an hour of Intellivision.  :) : ) :)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2299 on: November 22, 2022, 08:45:30 AM »
PetFish which electric guitar is that in you room?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2300 on: November 22, 2022, 09:40:43 AM »
That's quite a room. I dig it :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2301 on: November 22, 2022, 08:58:41 PM »
Holy smokes! I give that set-up an AVGN out of 10. Make a video and give us a virtual tour!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2302 on: November 22, 2022, 09:27:19 PM »
Thanks for all the happy comments!

I really love just plugging in a cartridge and getting right to it.  No patches.  No lag.  No BS.  Just DO NOT BLOW on the cartridges.  The contacts will actually corrode so best thing to do is 99% IPA and a cotton swab.

Pretty certain when I was clearing out a lab a few years ago I threw out a flat screen Trinitron. In retrospect, shoulda kept that bad boy.

It's always hindsight, man, I cry just thinking of all the cool shit that got tossed.  My Commodore collection was badass and I've picked up the systems but I have almost no disks and they're the toughest to get.  When people donate old computer stuff any disks are trashed due to privacy issues.  Dammit.

This CRT only has composite inputs so I'm looking for one with S-Video and components.  I work in a hospital so I'm always checking the tech bins for tossed vintage electronics.  I even found the old Mac PC in the photos there as well as an Apple II with monitor and drives.  The Mac works but haven't tried the II.

That room... :hefdaddy

Thanks!  I wish I had more time to actually play the games.  I'm trying to get my daughter into retro gaming (6 years) but so far it isn't sticking.

Very awesome and I remember that Hot Wheels carpet!  :metal

I wish it was a carpet but it's just a playmat.  Still hurts when trying to sit on the floor so trying to find an actual carpet.
That looks great!

Thanks!

Amazing setup, sorry for the sidetrack, what lights do you use for the shelves? the green & blue hues are great.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this kind of stuff.  The lights are surface-mount RGB pucks from Amazon.  There's not many options for these but if you want the recessed ones there's plenty.  Obviously, can't have recessed lighting in these shelves.

The furniture is all IKEA besta.  It's so customizable.  People usually just go with the kallax but there's so much wasted space, it won't hold wide consoles unless you tilt them or put them in at 90 degrees, there's no out-of-the-box backing piece so all the cables are visible, and although you can buy spacers and stuff for them they're too weak to hold a console so you can't fit two on top of each other in the same cube.

The besta series also has a half-depth shelf so I have full-depth on the bottom and then halves on top so there's no wasted space BEHIND the games.  Then I have a little surface area for my Classic Space Lego stuffs.

I'd literally pay you money to let me play an hour of Intellivision.  :) : ) :)

If you're in Vancouver, Canada let me know.  The shitty part of the Intellivision is that the controllers are actually hard-wired and very difficult to replace.  Even cleaning them is tough.  Are we becoming pals?  Sounds good to me.  :)

PetFish which electric guitar is that in you room?

The 80s teal blue is a Peavy Tracer Custom, my first real guitar from about 1990, and the black is an Ibanez RG Series 7-string signed by Joe Satriani.

That's quite a room. I dig it :tup

Thanks!  I figured if I built it, they would come, but so far it's all crickets.  I'm hoping to do some retro tech show-and-tells with my daughter and her class.  Maybe a retro gaming camp at the school or something.

Holy smokes! I give that set-up an AVGN out of 10. Make a video and give us a virtual tour!

I never thought about doing a video tour.  Sounds like a fun idea.  The impetus for this room came from watching Lazy Game Reviews on Youtube which got me thinking about retro tech and then it branched into retro consoles and gaming setups.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2303 on: November 23, 2022, 05:00:57 AM »
I only recently started my retro gaming and 80s nostalgia room.  I only wish I had started 5 years ago or earlier cuz pricing is insane right now.

Here's my setup (I know my flat TV is too small and crooked, working on it):

Haven't played Super Star Wars since the 90's, but I still remember the god mode cheat code.

AAAAXBBBBYXXXXAYYYYB

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #2304 on: November 24, 2022, 02:22:19 PM »
I've been playing GoW:R nonstop for the last 2 weeks, and last week I finally got my hands on a PS5.

Working my way through the post-game stuff now, and these Berserkers are no joke.  :censored

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2305 on: November 25, 2022, 03:22:23 AM »
I've been playing GoW:R nonstop for the last 2 weeks, and last week I finally got my hands on a PS5.

Working my way through the post-game stuff now, and these Berserkers are no joke.  :censored

I am so bad at this game. Don't know why. I swear I doing better in games like Sekiro and I play GoW on normal. Thankfully the checkpoints are very forgiving. But maybe the sidequest are intended to be hard and I should leave some of them for the post-game?

It is an excellent game but I will say I think 2018 is better in at least some ways. But then Ragnarok also has a lot of improvements and it basically is pt2. And it also has some neat surprised in store.

I accidentally booted up GoW 2018 on my PS5 and for more time than I care to admit I thought my Ragnarok game did not save (my 2018 save was in a spot that is kinda the same in both) :lol I don't mind that at all btw, I very much prefer a series to be cohesive and the budget being put into making the game bigger and better rather than a fancy new engine. 2018 and Ragnarok together form a massive gaming epic to me (though I have not finished it yet!).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2306 on: November 25, 2022, 05:40:11 AM »
I'll probably buy GoW:R for me and my son to play Christmas Day. I'm still working through GoW 2018.

Last night I decided to try the Muspelheim challenges...got stopped cold at 3-2. I fuckin' hate cheatin', teleportin' elves and their rando undodgeable bombs. Fuck!

:biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #2307 on: November 25, 2022, 07:43:48 AM »
I beat the Musphelheim trials yesterday (on normal) and they were more tedious than challenging. The ones in the previous game were much harder. There’s a hidden boss in Musphelheim after you beat the story, and it’s way more of a challenge.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2308 on: November 27, 2022, 09:17:52 AM »
No idea how this happened, but I made a simple tiktok using the bomb drone in Warzone 2 and it went viral  :lol 1 million views https://www.tiktok.com/@cramx3/video/7169993139963383083?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7133988788720698926 I guess having people argue in the commens about whether the bomb drones should even be in the game is why?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2309 on: November 28, 2022, 02:02:39 AM »
No idea how this happened, but I made a simple tiktok using the bomb drone in Warzone 2 and it went viral  :lol 1 million views https://www.tiktok.com/@cramx3/video/7169993139963383083?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7133988788720698926 I guess having people argue in the commens about whether the bomb drones should even be in the game is why?
That’s amazing. I’ve been having a blast with DMZ.