Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 167392 times)

ReaperKK and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ErHaO

Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #2030 on: August 10, 2022, 06:27:43 AM »
I haven't followed 3, did they tone down the whiney anime children / women collectable "robots" stuff?

Almost entirely.

Cool, that sounds good. Though I will likely first try out the original. I am quite certain 2 is not for me though.

How far did you play through Xenoblade 2? If it was just the weird stuff that turned you off from the game, I would recommend giving it another shot after playing the first game. After Chapter 2, they tone down the weirdness and the overall tone of the story/writing in Xenoblade 2 is more similar to Xenoblade 1 and 3 for the most part (which are a lot more serious in comparison).

A friend/former roommate was playing it and I have watched like the first hour online. I have seen bits of the game throughout. But I know it is not for me because I actively dislike the main characters, which for me in an RPG is a no go. Shulk and co from 1 seem okay to me.

To be honest, even if it turned out to be a good game for me, there are more appealing looking JRPG's out there than that I have time for (including 1 and potentially 3). I pick the ones that do grab my attention immediately or at the very least don't deter me initially.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2031 on: August 11, 2022, 12:32:31 PM »
Got my notification for the Steam Deck purchase for the 256 GB model. Man I am in a bind and not sure I will make the purchase in the 2 day window they gave me, anyone have it and think it's worth it even if you have a kick ass PC?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2032 on: August 12, 2022, 08:15:32 AM »
Got my notification for the Steam Deck purchase for the 256 GB model. Man I am in a bind and not sure I will make the purchase in the 2 day window they gave me, anyone have it and think it's worth it even if you have a kick ass PC?

It is a super cool device, but I would only buy one if you have had portables and actually used them. Or if you travel a lot. In that case you can continue your PC gaming on the go without internet/streaming.

If I ever end up buying one or a future model, it will come at the expense of the Nintendo Switch. A 60 euro port of The Witcher 3 or 5 year later native ports of titles like Nier Automata have no novelty in a world where you can play your steam library with good settings on a relatively affordable device all things considered. And emultation on the deck is also a thing I am interested in, since Nintendo has very little interest in offering good collections or subscription services worthy of their legacy.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2033 on: August 13, 2022, 04:14:02 AM »
Just completed Xenoblade Chronicles 3. This is easily my favorite game I've played this year. I think the Xenoblade series may very well be the best trilogy of all time. 1 is still my favorite, but it might take a while for me to figure out whether I love 2 or 3 more.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2034 on: August 14, 2022, 09:48:58 PM »

I have the 512 one and I love it, but as ErHaO says, only get if you like mobile gaming. I mainly use mine as an emulator and play it before bed. Since getting it though I've only touched the switch once or twice.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: August 15, 2022, 08:42:57 AM »
Hey folks! I'm trying to make a decision about something that sort of touches on what you guys were talking about.

About a year ago I started looking for a handheld gaming device since I started working in remote locations where bringing my PS4 would be a hassle.

Long story short, I reserved the Steam Deck in January and I still haven't gotten an email to purchase it. I'm tired of waiting so I decided to look into getting a switch to hold me over until the Steam Deck arrives, whenever that I'll be.
Since I have limited time at home before having to travel back to work, I went ahead and ordered a Nintendo Switch.

Now I've parted ways with Nintendo when I was about 16 years old, I guess I just outgrew their stuff, but I do have fond memories of the GameBoy and the Super Nintendo. However, I have no intention or desire to play Mario games or any of their anime-styled action games that I kept bumping into in my research for the Switch. I'm realizing there's only 8 or 9 games on Switch that I'd actually wanna play.

I'm telling myself that I could just pass it on to my wife when the Steam Deck finally gets here, she's interested, but she's not that gaga over a handheld gaming device, since she already games on her phone.

I guess my question is; should I return it? was that a dumb move? I paid $300 for it and if I keep it I'll have to get an SD card and a carrying case, then a couple of games to start with. It'll end up being a $400-450 thing, for something that I would only use temporarily until the Steam Deck comes, which -by the way- I'll be sinking at least $750 into when it comes out, between device and games.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2036 on: August 15, 2022, 09:19:34 AM »
I enjoy my switch a lot and I've only had it for like 6 months.  It was something I wanted for awhile but never pulled the trigger and I kind of regret not just buying it years ago.  "only 8 or 9 games" seems like more than a good amount to jump in IMO. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: August 15, 2022, 09:57:51 AM »
Good deal! Hey, did you get a protective cover sort-of thing? I Switch feels so damn fragile in my hands, last time I had a handheld was the PSP and it felt a lot sturdier.
That is what I'm looking: 
https://beebom.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/3-switch.jpg
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0569/5750/1616/products/nintendo-switch-case-nintendo-switch-dockable-case-protective-cover-283667_800x.jpg

Folks are saying it has to be removed for docking though.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2038 on: August 15, 2022, 12:07:04 PM »
Revisiting The Last of Us Remastered after 2 years.  This play thru will be on hard difficulty and also doing a collectible clean up.  Love this game.  Will follow up with TLOU Pt.2 of course.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: August 15, 2022, 12:16:28 PM »
Good deal! Hey, did you get a protective cover sort-of thing? I Switch feels so damn fragile in my hands, last time I had a handheld was the PSP and it felt a lot sturdier.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0569/5750/1616/products/nintendo-switch-case-nintendo-switch-dockable-case-protective-cover-283667_800x.jpg

I don't have a protective cover.  Maybe I should.  I broke both my joycons for putting the switch in my bookbag (even though I wrapped it in a towel) while traveling a couple weeks ago.  After that, I just bought a case so it's never loosely packaged.  I'm sure a protective cover is a good idea.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2040 on: August 16, 2022, 03:24:07 AM »
Revisiting The Last of Us Remastered after 2 years.  This play thru will be on hard difficulty and also doing a collectible clean up.  Love this game.  Will follow up with TLOU Pt.2 of course.

Why not wait for the new native PS5 remake releasing in a month? You have a PS5 right?

I would search youtube for protective Switch covers where people show you. Plenty of videos ranking cases and trying Switch accessoires.

One thing I do recommend without a doubt is a (tempered) glass screen protector, the plastic screen is super susceptible to scratching (even by the damn dock if you are unlucky). 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 03:32:17 AM by ErHaO »

Online Skeever

« Reply #2041 on: August 16, 2022, 06:47:53 AM »
Just completed Xenoblade Chronicles 3. This is easily my favorite game I've played this year. I think the Xenoblade series may very well be the best trilogy of all time. 1 is still my favorite, but it might take a while for me to figure out whether I love 2 or 3 more.

I'm on Chapter 4, about 35 hours in, just doing a ton of side stuff really because I do find it very relaxing and then I'm also pretty OP for the main story so I can just enjoy it. It is a really fun game, probably my favorite of the -Blade series thus far, though I would still say I prefer the more linear, narrative driven stuctures of Gears/Saga.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2042 on: August 16, 2022, 08:42:59 AM »

Why not wait for the new native PS5 remake releasing in a month? You have a PS5 right?

Yes, is that a free upgrade from the PS4 version?

Hmm, doesn't appear to be.  Improved AI and a new speed run mode.  Looks like they're going for the big cash grab due to the popularity of the game.  That's unfortunate.  I'll probably get it anyway.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:50:40 AM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2043 on: August 16, 2022, 01:10:07 PM »

Hmm, doesn't appear to be.  Improved AI and a new speed run mode.  Looks like they're going for the big cash grab due to the popularity of the game.  That's unfortunate.  I'll probably get it anyway.

They did actually remake all the assets and all, but it is not like the original was in a dire need of it. I guess it is nice to have parts 1 and 2 be coherent visually. I would buy it if I had a PS5, but I would also be complaining about it's price.

I think they should've made part 1 and 2 a package on the PS5. 2 does not have it's own PS5 version right?

Also, where is the multiplayer? That was really successful on the ps3/ps4.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2044 on: August 16, 2022, 02:02:17 PM »

They did actually remake all the assets and all, but it is not like the original was in a dire need of it. I guess it is nice to have parts 1 and 2 be coherent visually. I would buy it if I had a PS5, but I would also be complaining about it's price.

I think they should've made part 1 and 2 a package on the PS5. 2 does not have it's own PS5 version right?

My opinion is that Sony took a good thing that people genuinely worked hard on and set it up for failure by being unfriendly to the consumer. This will no doubt be the ultimate way to play one of the most beloved games of all-time, but not offering an upgrade path for a game that's already been rereleased once is unfortunate. Their marketing campaign was also a bit ambiguous and left the door open for people to assume that more significant changes were made than in reality. It just doesn't feel quite right, you know?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2045 on: August 16, 2022, 02:58:20 PM »

Pt. 2 has a PS5 upgrade available since 11 months ago (still need to upgrade my copy).  My guess is that only Pt. 1 will be a remake and Pt. 2 will remain as a PS5 upgrade only.  I never did the multiplayer.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2046 on: August 17, 2022, 01:18:04 AM »
Just a random thought, I love listen to John Carmack talk about programming or anything he finds interesting however I almost always only understand about 5% of it but somehow dosen't care. To me he's the definition of an intelligent man.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2047 on: August 20, 2022, 07:37:01 AM »
Started playing Escape from Tarkov again, this game gives a rush like nothing else however I can't bear to play it alone.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: August 20, 2022, 09:46:33 AM »
Started playing Escape from Tarkov again, this game gives a rush like nothing else however I can't bear to play it alone.

This isn't too far off to how I've been feeling lately with PUBG again.  There's such a rush and satisfaction when you win a gun fight.  It's so much more rewarding than COD for example.  Will you check out the new DMZ mode in COD MW2 when it comes out?  I know my friends are excited for that mode since it's supposed to be COD's version of EFT.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2049 on: August 20, 2022, 11:55:09 AM »

This isn't too far off to how I've been feeling lately with PUBG again.  There's such a rush and satisfaction when you win a gun fight.  It's so much more rewarding than COD for example.  Will you check out the new DMZ mode in COD MW2 when it comes out?  I know my friends are excited for that mode since it's supposed to be COD's version of EFT.
Yea, I will check it out. Didn't try the BF thing but that was apparently shit. This is suppose to be a bit better but i'm not sure if it's necessary to compare something like that to EFT. There's things in EFT that's very niche and well russian  :lol and will never work for the general mass so to speak. The game is rough on you when you loose, it brings the worse in you but of course when you win it's a great feeling of success. I'm not sure they have the guts to make the COD version like that but we'll see, then again they might make the concept more fun and in that way be more popular than EFT. The main dev has specifically said that EFT isn't suppose to be fun.  :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2050 on: August 20, 2022, 02:06:21 PM »
I've decided to try an plough through some of the games in my steam library that I got in bundles and never ended up playing. Turns out I owned some real gems.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2051 on: August 20, 2022, 03:04:14 PM »

Yea, I will check it out. Didn't try the BF thing but that was apparently shit. This is suppose to be a bit better but i'm not sure if it's necessary to compare something like that to EFT. There's things in EFT that's very niche and well russian  :lol and will never work for the general mass so to speak. The game is rough on you when you loose, it brings the worse in you but of course when you win it's a great feeling of success. I'm not sure they have the guts to make the COD version like that but we'll see, then again they might make the concept more fun and in that way be more popular than EFT. The main dev has specifically said that EFT isn't suppose to be fun.  :lol

Yeah, there's no way it is able to capture the same feeling of that game, but without much info on it, it could still be a nice spin on it.  We will see.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2052 on: August 20, 2022, 05:26:57 PM »
cramx3, you ever checked out SQUAD?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: August 20, 2022, 09:29:11 PM »
cramx3, you ever checked out SQUAD?

Yeah, a bit too tactical for me. My brother loves it

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2054 on: August 22, 2022, 10:31:53 AM »
Still playing through TLOU Pt. 1 on hard difficulty.  Wow, resources are extremely scarce until you come across doors that need a Shiv to open (always have at least 1 Shiv handy).  Those are important cause it's like hitting the motherlode!  Also doing a collectible cleanup on this run (listed below).

Collectibles - 135
Conversations - 37
Doors - 13
Tools - 5
Jokes - 5

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2055 on: August 23, 2022, 09:51:46 AM »
Still playing through TLOU Pt. 1 on hard difficulty.  Wow, resources are extremely scarce until you come across doors that need a Shiv to open (always have at least 1 Shiv handy).  Those are important cause it's like hitting the motherlode!  Also doing a collectible cleanup on this run (listed below).

Collectibles - 135
Conversations - 37
Doors - 13
Tools - 5
Jokes - 5

I think that both games really benefit from higher difficulties. It makes everything much more intense and adds a layer of strategy that isn't necessary on lower difficulties. I actually think the gameplay is borderline great if you're up for the challenge.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2056 on: August 23, 2022, 10:22:09 AM »

Collectibles - 135
Conversations - 37
Doors - 13
Tools - 5
Jokes - 5

I think that both games really benefit from higher difficulties. It makes everything much more intense and adds a layer of strategy that isn't necessary on lower difficulties. I actually think the gameplay is borderline great if you're up for the challenge.

I think hard is the sweetspot for both parts. Grounded is too much for me.

And I do think the gameplay is great. For me it has the perfect balance between realistic movements and responsiveness. And there is almost no other action series where the switch between stealth and combat feels natural and not like a gamey alert stage. Naughty Dog tends to focus on very easy controls but complex gameplay situations (where the leveldesign and the resources present also heavily affect strategies). Which is opposite to, say, Platinum games. High level TLOU play is amazing to see in my opinion (unfortunately I am not that good).

A testament to the gameplay is that the online mode was quite popular for many years. While for most (me included) the MP was not the main course by any means, it is considered to be a very good online game and it was still very active 7-8 years post launch (not sure now, haven't tried it in recent years).

I know they are working on a completely new MP mode. But I feel the remake being fullpriced and not having it is bullshit.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2057 on: August 23, 2022, 10:30:28 AM »
Yeah, you're right.  Playing on hard difficulty was just the right amount of challenge.  Dare I try survivor difficulty?  Maybe, but now on to Pt.2.  :corn

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2058 on: August 23, 2022, 11:11:07 AM »
I'm a couple hours into Cult Of The Lamb and I'm really enjoying it. It's hard put into words what the game is like but it's sort of a rouge like city builder in an art similar to Don't Starve.

The combat feels good and the cult builder part of the game is surprisingly deep. I'd definitely recommend folks at least look up some gameplay.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2059 on: August 23, 2022, 07:33:52 PM »

Collectibles - 135
Conversations - 37
Doors - 13
Tools - 5
Jokes - 5

I think hard is the sweetspot for both parts. Grounded is too much for me.

And I do think the gameplay is great. For me it has the perfect balance between realistic movements and responsiveness. And there is almost no other action series where the switch between stealth and combat feels natural and not like a gamey alert stage. Naughty Dog tends to focus on very easy controls but complex gameplay situations (where the leveldesign and the resources present also heavily affect strategies). Which is opposite to, say, Platinum games. High level TLOU play is amazing to see in my opinion (unfortunately I am not that good).

A testament to the gameplay is that the online mode was quite popular for many years. While for most (me included) the MP was not the main course by any means, it is considered to be a very good online game and it was still very active 7-8 years post launch (not sure now, haven't tried it in recent years).

I know they are working on a completely new MP mode. But I feel the remake being fullpriced and not having it is bullshit.

I thought I'd never be able to complete it on grounded but I recently did it.   Though I was only able to do it after watching a lot of speedrunning and implementing some of the strats.  Still, I'm proud of it.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2060 on: August 24, 2022, 08:53:41 AM »
Never heard of "grounded" difficulty.  Is that in the original PS3 version?  The remaster calls it Survivor I believe.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2061 on: August 24, 2022, 10:30:57 AM »
I've been debating what difficulty level to try next. It's either going to be "Hard" or "Survivor".

Never heard of "grounded" difficulty.  Is that in the original PS3 version?  The remaster calls it Survivor I believe.
My understanding is that it first became available with the PS4 version.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2062 on: August 24, 2022, 03:23:05 PM »
I'm thinking hard difficulty is a good stepping stone to Survivor.  Then again, I'm not sure how difficult Survivor is.  :dunno:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2063 on: August 25, 2022, 08:26:50 AM »
I never used listening mode in TLOU pt1, I recommend people playing that way. It adds to the tension and the sounddesign is so good that you can really rely on it. In pt2 I did do it for those damn dogs and their tracks.

TLOU pt1 on hard with listening mode disabled and headphones is probably my favourite gameplay experience of all time.

It was added as DLC to the PS3 version, the PS4 remaster does include it from the get go. It is intended to be the more "grounded" in reality. It is not just stronger enemies, the difficulty is tweaked at many layers of the game.  For example, on grounded in pt2 enemies can hear you reload when sneaking around, this does not happen in the other modes.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2064 on: August 25, 2022, 09:46:53 AM »
Yeah, I can see how headphones would be beneficial when playing without listening mode.  I normally don't play with headphones on, but that sounds like something I need to do more often.  :tup