Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 167471 times)

Polarbear and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Skeever

Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1995 on: August 02, 2022, 08:52:14 AM »
I haven't followed 3, did they tone down the whiney anime children / women collectable "robots" stuff?

Almost entirely.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1996 on: August 02, 2022, 09:06:21 AM »
I brought my switch with me on my business trip last week.  Played Zelda on the flight, wrapped the switch nicely in a towel to store in my bag, and then when I pulled it out a week later, the joysticks were both broken  :facepalm: luckily I found a shop in Amsterdam that sold the joy cons so I got a new set (and a case) for my return flight.  You live and you learn I guess, I had no idea they were so sensitive. My bag hardly moved in that time frame.  Oh well.  Anyway, Breathe of the Wild is A LOT to take in.  I feel like I'm only just starting and I already put in a bunch of hours. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1997 on: August 02, 2022, 08:21:02 PM »
That blows. Glad you were able to get back on track.

If BotW had come out when I was in my 20s and single, I could have become my #1 all time favorite game. As it is now, I just don't have the time or attention span to devote to a such a sprawling, vast game. I played through it, and enjoyed it, but it didn't captivate me the way it did so many others, and the way it would have for me 15 years ago.

Has anyone here played Her Story? This is a fascinating game.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1998 on: August 03, 2022, 12:57:55 AM »
I started another playthrough of RDR2. What a goddamn masterpiece.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:15:42 AM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1999 on: August 03, 2022, 07:04:24 AM »
It's a masterfully crafted world and narrative, with godawful mission design.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2000 on: August 03, 2022, 07:39:44 AM »
Yeah.... I really wanted to like it, and I did like a LOT about it. But I just do not care for the endless cover shooting/shooting galleries levels. Really took me out of it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: August 03, 2022, 07:47:50 AM »
That blows. Glad you were able to get back on track.

If BotW had come out when I was in my 20s and single, I could have become my #1 all time favorite game. As it is now, I just don't have the time or attention span to devote to a such a sprawling, vast game. I played through it, and enjoyed it, but it didn't captivate me the way it did so many others, and the way it would have for me 15 years ago.

Has anyone here played Her Story? This is a fascinating game.

I may run into this problem of not having the time dedicated to playing this game.  We will see.  When I got home, for the first time in many many years, I gamed from my couch and used a console (the switch in it's dock).  We will see how often I go back to doing that to beat the game vs. my normal of PC gaming. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2002 on: August 03, 2022, 08:31:23 AM »
I started another playthrough of RDR2. What a goddamn masterpiece.

*snip*

I'm still not over how the online version of that game went down. What a waste of a beautifully crafted world.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2003 on: August 03, 2022, 10:22:07 AM »
I liked RDR2 a lot (except for the clunky shooting controls).  However, didn't really have the desire to play through again for some strange reason.  Hoping RDR3 is in the works.  I'd definitely get that.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2004 on: August 03, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »
I'm still holding out hope that they ditched any and all RDR2 support in favor of making a RDR & RDR2 combined remaster on next gen with the full maps from both games and the campaigns combined.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: August 03, 2022, 10:49:51 AM »
I'm still holding out hope that they ditched any and all RDR2 support in favor of making a RDR & RDR2 combined remaster on next gen with the full maps from both games and the campaigns combined.

Rockstar already stated they scrapped more GTA remasters to focus on GTA6, so while it may happen, it doesn't seem like it's happening anytime soon given their focus on the next GTA game now.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2006 on: August 03, 2022, 10:52:25 AM »
How many GTA remasters were left? Just IV?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: August 03, 2022, 10:59:38 AM »
Had to look it up again...

https://kotaku.com/gta-iv-remastered-red-dead-redemption-canceled-rockstar-1849142371

Yesterday, a tweet from Tez, an often reliable and trusted GTA insider, caught the attention of many Rockstar fans. According to the tweet, Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV remasters were no longer “on the table,” possibly due to the horrible mess that was last year’s GTA Trilogy remakes. While some questioned if this was true, I can confirm that Tez’s tweet is accurate and lines up with what I’ve been told.

I guess that does include RDR remakes.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2008 on: August 03, 2022, 11:01:07 AM »
Balls. That blows.

Too bad Rockstar couldn't sell it to another studio to do with the world what they please. What a shame.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2009 on: August 03, 2022, 10:13:01 PM »
Yeah.... I really wanted to like it, and I did like a LOT about it. But I just do not care for the endless cover shooting/shooting galleries levels. Really took me out of it.
Huh. I absolutely loved the shooting. Granted, I didn't utilize cover shooting much. I love queuing enemies up in deadeye and taking out four at once like a badass.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2010 on: August 04, 2022, 12:54:48 PM »
Metal: Hellsinger - Gamescom Concert Trailer

Not sure if anyone have tried the demo but it's such a cool concept with original songs and now they're doing a live show at this years Gamescom.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2011 on: August 04, 2022, 01:07:22 PM »
Huh. I absolutely loved the shooting. Granted, I didn't utilize cover shooting much. I love queuing enemies up in deadeye and taking out four at once like a badass.

My main problem wasn't the shooting so much as that was the main way you interacted with the story, and the linearity of the missions was extremely grating given how open the world and a lot of the systems were. Give me options to solve a problem, don't railroad me!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2012 on: August 04, 2022, 10:44:50 PM »

My main problem wasn't the shooting so much as that was the main way you interacted with the story, and the linearity of the missions was extremely grating given how open the world and a lot of the systems were. Give me options to solve a problem, don't railroad me!
I think this didn't bother me because of how well-crafted the story actually is. Now if we were to compare Fallout 4 to Fallout 3, then I would have that complaint.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2013 on: August 05, 2022, 06:20:23 AM »
What I don't understand is why they couldn't have at least released a patch that runs RDR2 at a higher frame rate and resolution on next generation consoles. They don't even need to make it a native PS5 or XS application, just do what so many other games have done like God of War, Last of Us Pt. 2, etc. They were probably holding out because they were going to do a proper next generation release, but now that it's cancelled, it's just not going to happen. >:(
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2014 on: August 05, 2022, 06:40:35 AM »
What I don't understand is why they couldn't have at least released a patch that runs RDR2 at a higher frame rate and resolution on next generation consoles. They don't even need to make it a native PS5 or XS application, just do what so many other games have done like God of War, Last of Us Pt. 2, etc. They were probably holding out because they were going to do a proper next generation release, but now that it's cancelled, it's just not going to happen. >:(

Rockstar is not in the market of putting effort into ports or newer versions, unfortunately.

Microsoft did enhance Red Dead 1 to 4k at the OneX/Series X (at 30 fps still), which still looks and plays suprisingly good (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK-eya5qGUU). But Rockstar does not seem to care.

I haven't followed 3, did they tone down the whiney anime children / women collectable "robots" stuff?

Almost entirely.

Cool, that sounds good. Though I will likely first try out the original. I am quite certain 2 is not for me though.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2015 on: August 05, 2022, 07:58:20 AM »
I'm not very knowledgeable on this port/remaster/upgrade thingie, but I know I played the Resident Evil 2 Remaster and it was phenomenal.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2016 on: August 05, 2022, 09:01:28 AM »
They been feeding of GTA V for ages now, time to move on and deliver the next one. I'm glad they acknowledge that they put every resources on that instead of half-arsing out a port that some will play and others complain about wasting time on this instead of the next GTA.

I'm not very knowledgeable on this port/remaster/upgrade thingie, but I know I played the Resident Evil 2 Remaster and it was phenomenal.
I enjoyed the Resident Evil remasters, looking forward to RE4.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2017 on: August 05, 2022, 09:03:27 AM »

That is a full blown remake and a very good one at that. They also remade 3 and next year we will see a remake of 4.

It is kinda like a rerecording, remix or remaster, though people/companies do tend to use the terms interchangeably and some products fall inbetween.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2018 on: August 05, 2022, 09:13:05 AM »
Can't wait for the RE4 remake. :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2019 on: August 05, 2022, 04:58:22 PM »

I'm going to have a hard disagree on this but I suppose it's what the player is looking to get out of the game. If it's a matter of linearity I can see some gripes but the game definitely guides the player towards the ultimate outcome for Arthur and I'm well OK with how things shaked out. I thought the mission direction was the best I've seen in a Rockstar game with some highlights being Blood Feuds, Ancient and Modern, Red Dead Redemption, the ferryboat heist, and the one where Felton was birthed into the world. I don't mind that a lot of times it ended in run and gun combat because it fit the world perfectly. I was playing as a badass with a soft heart so I did good when it gave me the option but dropped fools when I needed to. I'm sure I got frustrated at how some missions played out but the good far outweighed the bad for my playthrough.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2020 on: August 05, 2022, 05:34:33 PM »

Almost entirely.

Cool, that sounds good. Though I will likely first try out the original. I am quite certain 2 is not for me though.

How far did you play through Xenoblade 2? If it was just the weird stuff that turned you off from the game, I would recommend giving it another shot after playing the first game. After Chapter 2, they tone down the weirdness and the overall tone of the story/writing in Xenoblade 2 is more similar to Xenoblade 1 and 3 for the most part (which are a lot more serious in comparison).

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2021 on: August 06, 2022, 04:00:24 AM »
What I don't understand is why they couldn't have at least released a patch that runs RDR2 at a higher frame rate and resolution on next generation consoles.
Ah. Yeah, I don't know about the console experience. My 3070 runs it 60fps on near maxed settings.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2022 on: August 08, 2022, 10:54:35 AM »

I'm going to have a hard disagree on this but I suppose it's what the player is looking to get out of the game. If it's a matter of linearity I can see some gripes but the game definitely guides the player towards the ultimate outcome for Arthur and I'm well OK with how things shaked out. I thought the mission direction was the best I've seen in a Rockstar game with some highlights being Blood Feuds, Ancient and Modern, Red Dead Redemption, the ferryboat heist, and the one where Felton was birthed into the world. I don't mind that a lot of times it ended in run and gun combat because it fit the world perfectly. I was playing as a badass with a soft heart so I did good when it gave me the option but dropped fools when I needed to. I'm sure I got frustrated at how some missions played out but the good far outweighed the bad for my playthrough.

My experience was that the cover system and shooting felt a bit clunky. I also felt like some missions weren't quite clear enough on what was expected of me, which led to some frustrating failures. The gameplay is really the only aspect of that game I have anything bad to say about. Otherwise, and overall, it's an absolute masterpiece and one of the few examples of a video game that reaches the storytelling heights of some of my favorites movies and television series.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2023 on: August 08, 2022, 03:08:09 PM »

The first time I played it was on the PS4 and the aiming was really really bad. I didn't use aim assist (on foot) and didn't use Deadeye that much. After playing through the game a second time using Deadeye a lot more (even though I didn't really need it because I was using a Steam Controller with gyro aiming) I started to think that's really how Rockstar intended the game to be played. I remember not enjoying Max Payne 3 that much until I started using Bullet Time all the time.

But I agree with XJDenton about the overall mission design. Well, I don't think it's godawful but it's definitely a little old and doesn't leave much room for going off script. There's a good video on YouTube that talks about this but I cannot remember the name of it.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2024 on: August 08, 2022, 03:31:32 PM »
I found the shooting in RDR2 to be really clunky on PS4, but I quite liked it on PC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2025 on: August 08, 2022, 03:43:31 PM »

The first time I played it was on the PS4 and the aiming was really really bad. I didn't use aim assist (on foot) and didn't use Deadeye that much. After playing through the game a second time using Deadeye a lot more (even though I didn't really need it because I was using a Steam Controller with gyro aiming) I started to think that's really how Rockstar intended the game to be played. I remember not enjoying Max Payne 3 that much until I started using Bullet Time all the time.

But I agree with XJDenton about the overall mission design. Well, I don't think it's godawful but it's definitely a little old and doesn't leave much room for going off script. There's a good video on YouTube that talks about this but I cannot remember the name of it.

The shooting in the Rockstar games has always been a bit poor and I think that's exactly why they added things like Deadeye or Bullet Time or similar to their games.  I think that's why it really doesn't cut it for a FPS/TPS shooter type of game as well. While they've had those online modes they've never been fun because the gun play generally is not good in these games.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2026 on: August 08, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »

The shooting in the Rockstar games has always been a bit poor and I think that's exactly why they added things like Deadeye or Bullet Time or similar to their games.  I think that's why it really doesn't cut it for a FPS/TPS shooter type of game as well. While they've had those online modes they've never been fun because the gun play generally is not good in these games.

Bullet Time was always part of the Max Payne series but now that I think about it, I'm not sure Deadeye was used in the first RDR other than in the duels.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2027 on: August 09, 2022, 04:58:33 AM »
Rockstar games always seem made with the lock on / instant snapping mechanic in mind (on consoles that is). Playing that way feel good to me and I have been doing that since GTA3 in 2001. In Red Dead it snaps to an enemy and you can slightly adjust for a more accurate shot. Also, a protip for any shooter is to immediately go into settings and adjust to personal preferences. RD2 does have a decent amount of possible adjustments (camera speed, type of lockon etc.).

The only thing that is bothersome about Red Dead 2 gameplay wise is the long input lag and often high priority on (slow) animations. Naughty Dog games show that you can have that quality of animation together with snappy controls (especially TLOU pt2), but Rockstar is on the other end of the spectrum. Still, the reason I highly enjoyed the shooting is that everything you do feels impactful, organic and has a great cinematic look to it.

The missions in RD2 are indeed very limited in terms of freedom, but as long as what I am doing is fun an varied I can deal with that. And I appreciate that some corners have to be cut when making a huge epic like this with so many unique events/locations.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2028 on: August 09, 2022, 06:54:49 PM »
Rockstar games always seem made with the lock on / instant snapping mechanic in mind (on consoles that is). Playing that way feel good to me and I have been doing that since GTA3 in 2001. In Red Dead it snaps to an enemy and you can slightly adjust for a more accurate shot. Also, a protip for any shooter is to immediately go into settings and adjust to personal preferences. RD2 does have a decent amount of possible adjustments (camera speed, type of lockon etc.).

The only thing that is bothersome about Red Dead 2 gameplay wise is the long input lag and often high priority on (slow) animations. Naughty Dog games show that you can have that quality of animation together with snappy controls (especially TLOU pt2), but Rockstar is on the other end of the spectrum. Still, the reason I highly enjoyed the shooting is that everything you do feels impactful, organic and has a great cinematic look to it.

The missions in RD2 are indeed very limited in terms of freedom, but as long as what I am doing is fun an varied I can deal with that. And I appreciate that some corners have to be cut when making a huge epic like this with so many unique events/locations.

I didn't mind the long animations but I agree that they should be skippable some how. I had more of a problem with the sloooow walking speed with the next speed being an awkward-looking jog. I hate shit like that. There's no good reason why they couldn't give the faster camp/indoor walking speeds for every other area in the game.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2029 on: August 10, 2022, 03:13:26 AM »

Bullet Time was always part of the Max Payne series but now that I think about it, I'm not sure Deadeye was used in the first RDR other than in the duels.
It definitely was. I remember getting 'trained' by Landon Ricketts and finally being able to paint targets.