Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 160981 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1225 on: January 05, 2022, 11:38:47 AM »
Depending on how quickly you want a replacement Samsung did just drop this during CES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piteu5gyKq0

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1226 on: January 05, 2022, 12:03:54 PM »
Depending on how quickly you want a replacement Samsung did just drop this during CES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piteu5gyKq0

Very fascinating. It would be interesting to see how that tech matures and comes to a reasonable price point. I think it's one thing to use large TVs and for that purpose alone most should be ok with the OLEDs even if the new QD-OLEDs offer better lighting and color accuracy.

I think my next target is high refresh rate 4k monitors with at least IPS panels that are 32" or larger for a reasonable price preferably ~$500. Not in a rush so we shall see.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1227 on: January 05, 2022, 06:40:14 PM »
On a random note, HDR has been a gamechanger for me. I was playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the Series X on a LG CX and man that intro with a lot of dark scenes just looks amazing. Overall the list of games with well done HDR is rapidly increasing and even some auto-HDR games on the Xbox look competent.

Unfortunately (probably) the majority of HDR labeled screens aren't good at it. Many HDR marketed screens are barely HDR, even a lot of expensive gaming monitors. They really need to set a marketing standard of 600-700 nits minimum and a minimum degree of local dimming/blackness levels or something.
There actually is an industry standard for HDR, at least in the Home Theater market. 1000 nits is a minimum for screen brightness to deliver true HDR. However TV's (and monitors) are allowed to be marketed as HDR capable with as little as 400 nits brightness. The HDR experience will be pretty poor with anything less than about 800 nits.

And that doesn't even get into the industry standards for Local Dimming, Image Processing, Color Gamut, Contrast, Black Levels, etc etc.

If you want to go with the best for HDR in a TV, go with the LG G1 series or C1 series. Or the Sony A90J series, it's still an LG OLED panel, but Sony's build quality, color accuracy, and image processing is far superior.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1228 on: January 06, 2022, 02:34:46 AM »
On a random note, HDR has been a gamechanger for me. I was playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the Series X on a LG CX and man that intro with a lot of dark scenes just looks amazing. Overall the list of games with well done HDR is rapidly increasing and even some auto-HDR games on the Xbox look competent.

Unfortunately (probably) the majority of HDR labeled screens aren't good at it. Many HDR marketed screens are barely HDR, even a lot of expensive gaming monitors. They really need to set a marketing standard of 600-700 nits minimum and a minimum degree of local dimming/blackness levels or something.
There actually is an industry standard for HDR, at least in the Home Theater market. 1000 nits is a minimum for screen brightness to deliver true HDR. However TV's (and monitors) are allowed to be marketed as HDR capable with as little as 400 nits brightness. The HDR experience will be pretty poor with anything less than about 800 nits.

And that doesn't even get into the industry standards for Local Dimming, Image Processing, Color Gamut, Contrast, Black Levels, etc etc.

If you want to go with the best for HDR in a TV, go with the LG G1 series or C1 series. Or the Sony A90J series, it's still an LG OLED panel, but Sony's build quality, color accuracy, and image processing is far superior.

Ah did not know. Never heard of that.

I am good with the CX though. I know it is below 800 nits but I watch in a dark room and the HDR looks great to my eyes and there often is a huge difference with and without, for both film and games

I have briefly landed on a Samsung q90t, which was the first tv I purchased. That tv was way brighter, but it had too many caveats for my purposes. It was the messy game mode in particular. (In VRR mode there were scanning lines all over the screen, the ghosting in games was super obvious to me. As well as a dimming bug where the tv would suddenly become very dim after like 7 minutes. There was a huge thread on Samsung support forums on these problems).

I ultimately landed on the CX because two of my friends have one and I had seen the TV there. Ticked all my boxes. I would not use an LG CX in a broad daylight livingroom though, but mine is set up elsewhere.

And in a few years hopefully some of the new techniques will be as affordable, because they sound enticing.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: January 06, 2022, 05:52:38 AM »
Ms. P just scored me a PS5 during this mornings Target restock. I wasn't having any luck with my Credit Card, and she said, "Let me log in and try PayPal to see if the problem is their payment server." It took her about five minutes of trying to checkout before it went through. I'd been at it for nearly 40 minutes. Seems she's much better at this online shopping activity.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1230 on: January 06, 2022, 10:53:12 AM »
Ms. P just scored me a PS5 during this mornings Target restock. I wasn't having any luck with my Credit Card, and she said, "Let me log in and try PayPal to see if the problem is their payment server." It took her about five minutes of trying to checkout before it went through. I'd been at it for nearly 40 minutes. Seems she's much better at this online shopping activity.  :lol

I had one in my cart yesterday and backed out. I really only want it for Avatar: Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, which doesn't have a release date yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axmg1E4HrVE

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1231 on: January 06, 2022, 10:54:15 AM »
How much, ballpark? Are they still up around $700?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: January 06, 2022, 03:07:38 PM »
How much, ballpark? Are they still up around $700?

??? $499.00. The same that they are from every retailer...when they have stock.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1233 on: January 06, 2022, 05:58:30 PM »

I am good with the CX though. I know it is below 800 nits but I watch in a dark room and the HDR looks great to my eyes and there often is a huge difference with and without, for both film and games

I have briefly landed on a Samsung q90t, which was the first tv I purchased. That tv was way brighter, but it had too many caveats for my purposes. It was the messy game mode in particular. (In VRR mode there were scanning lines all over the screen, the ghosting in games was super obvious to me. As well as a dimming bug where the tv would suddenly become very dim after like 7 minutes. There was a huge thread on Samsung support forums on these problems).

I ultimately landed on the CX because two of my friends have one and I had seen the TV there. Ticked all my boxes. I would not use an LG CX in a broad daylight livingroom though, but mine is set up elsewhere.

And in a few years hopefully some of the new techniques will be as affordable, because they sound enticing.
I'm looking at Mini LED for my next TV. 95% of the benefits of OLED, with none of the drawbacks. Namely, image retention and burn-in. Problem is my Panasonic *Kuro* Plasma refuses to die. Even at only 1080p is still looks better than 75% of new 4k TV's out there. Which is a sad commentary on the state of the majority of TV manufacturers. Granted the Kuro plasma technology was the absolute best when they were still being made.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1234 on: January 07, 2022, 01:59:10 PM »
The PS5 is worth it for Demon's Souls alone. I'm not even a Souls fan but that game looks absolutely stunning and the loading times are almost comically short. They're so short that I (don't tell anyone) will sometimes just exit out of the game and then boot it back up again, which gets me back to the most recent boss fight in under thirty seconds, versus allowing myself to die and then having to spend five minutes walking back to said boss. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1235 on: January 07, 2022, 02:03:14 PM »
 :lol When I'm playing Words With Friends with my mom, it's faster to force close the app and reopen it rather than sit through the ads between moves.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1236 on: January 07, 2022, 03:09:57 PM »
I didn't like Demon's Souls.  I think I made it to the 2nd boss and then moved on.  The character just doesn't level up fast enough and it becomes too tedious after a while.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1237 on: January 07, 2022, 05:21:14 PM »
Since i'm a sucker for survival games with building elements this looks very interesting: Nightingale
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1238 on: January 07, 2022, 06:45:46 PM »
:lol When I'm playing Words With Friends with my mom, it's faster to force close the app and reopen it rather than sit through the ads between moves.

I thought I was the only one who did that. Those ads got so annoying on that app I eventually stopped playing it altogether.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1239 on: January 07, 2022, 07:08:02 PM »

I thought I was the only one who did that. Those ads got so annoying on that app I eventually stopped playing it altogether.
I didn't even know Words with Friends was still a thing  :lol I haven't played that in over 10 years.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: January 07, 2022, 09:42:20 PM »
There was a time I played that too. My MiL wanted to play with me, she is always looking for ways for us to bond. But it would take her over a day to play a turn, so I gave up.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1241 on: January 09, 2022, 07:36:05 AM »
After almost 30 hours, I finally beat Hollow Knight. Damn, that was one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had in a long while, and I only had like an 80% completion rate.

What was the last boss you beat? You night not even have seen the ‘final’ ending.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1242 on: January 09, 2022, 07:41:32 AM »
I know, but I can't really be arsed to get that enough Essence to beat the other boss ending, so I just watched a few videos on YT :lol. But still, such an amazing little game, it's up there with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes as my favorite metroidvania.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1243 on: January 14, 2022, 10:31:58 PM »
After 1400 deaths I managed to beat one of the B-sides on Celeste. Goddamn.

I also downloaded a ton of virtual console games for my Wii U since I have an external hard drive with a ton of space for it and I think they'll probably stop support for the Nintendo shop on it soon.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: January 15, 2022, 07:47:26 AM »
Our group of friends have gotten back into playing Valhheim, it's been nice building out my cabin by the lake :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1245 on: January 15, 2022, 11:42:47 AM »

I'm looking at Mini LED for my next TV. 95% of the benefits of OLED, with none of the drawbacks. Namely, image retention and burn-in. Problem is my Panasonic *Kuro* Plasma refuses to die. Even at only 1080p is still looks better than 75% of new 4k TV's out there. Which is a sad commentary on the state of the majority of TV manufacturers. Granted the Kuro plasma technology was the absolute best when they were still being made.

1080p is still good. I see people stating on the internet that it looks blurry and all, but nah, it looks a bit softer and you can see less clearly in the distance, but I play plenty of 1080p content on my 55" and can't say it is detrimental, unless I am sitting really close.

And yeah, Plasma's were/are awesome.

I know nothing about mini LEDs, as they were simply not an option when I needed a tv. One of the underrated qualities of OLED screens for me (and plasma / crt in the past) is the near instant pixel response time, which makes gaming at 60 or 120 fps look so much sharper than on a (Q)LED or LCD. For me it is quite noticable in gaming.

But to be honest, for films, most modern 1000 dollar and higher tv's look fantastic to my eyes these days. My parents never game and for them a QLED works wonders, for example. There is better tech out there for sure, but most content I have seen at their place looks ace. Gaming mode, however, is where things start to heavily deviate. Local dimming zones on last years Samsung tv's worked well to my eyes. But not in gaming mode. It was super obvious that the algorithm's were downgraded in order to bring the input lag down, as well as general image quality (even with all post processing things turned off when compared). And my first purchase, the Samsung, made me seriously doubt how much effort tv reviewers put into testing gaming modes (talking about sites like RTINGS, CNET and whatnot).

I don't really recommend OLED's to most people, because uneven pixel wear is indeed a real problem. I decided my usage was close to ideal. My content consumption is varied, gaming mostly one and done singleplayer stuff (and HUDless when possible), no traditional tv with logos and all etc. And I consume media on low brightness in a dark room (on most other screens as well).

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1246 on: January 15, 2022, 08:51:03 PM »
I completed Metroid Dread tonight. Really great game, I had a lot of fun with it. I will definitely be checking out more games in the series after I go back and get 100% completion. Easily one of my favorite games I've played this year so far.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1247 on: January 16, 2022, 03:49:37 PM »
I'm so ready for Dying Light 2! The wait has been long but it's right around the corner now.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1248 on: January 16, 2022, 04:00:11 PM »
I died more to a late game Halo Infinite boss than I did in Sekiro in total, not even joking. Tried for three fucking days now and I still did not finish him. Not sure if my game is bugged, but his hitbox seems completely random (as in I can do the exact same thing and die one time and survive another). Every hit is one hit kill too. And somehow his lifebar is much longer than any the videos I see on youtube, but my checkpoint starts in the difficult part so I can't get out of this situation. Was having fun but this shit is not worth my time, deleted the game and moved on to something better. The game overall is pretty fun but the one hit kill moves in this game (not just the bossfight) make it a 6/10 instead for me.

I did play almost all Halo's throughout covid and had zero problems like this in other entries.

Also played Dying Light. Overall a solid game with great traversal and leveldesign, but boy was the story/dialouge bad.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: January 17, 2022, 09:55:31 AM »
I'm holding off on Halo Infinite until the co op function is brought in so I can do the playthrough with my friend like we used to do on xbox in college.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1250 on: January 17, 2022, 02:11:37 PM »
I'm holding off on Halo Infinite until the co op function is brought in so I can do the playthrough with my friend like we used to do on xbox in college.

I think that will be a great experience. Bullet sponges and melee enemies will be less of a problem when you work together.

The latter half of the game is filled to the brim with bullet sponges that can kill you with one hit. And that just sucked the fun out of it for me. In Doom you die quickly, but you kill quickly and you have a wide moveset to quickly react to things. I die a lot in Doom 16/Eternal, but it almost always feels my fault for being bad. I had waaaay too many long winded fights in Halo Infinite where I was slowly chipping away on a group of enemies and some fucking warchief came around the corner and one shotted me while I was trying to dodge snipers and grenade spam. And some melee bosses constantly running at me while I am waiting for my grappling hook to recharge so I can dodge is not fun (on PC this will be better, switching moves on a controller is the worst selection design I have encountered in a shooter ever).

Perhaps I am playing it wrong or something, but for me the random difficulty spikes and slow, long winded fights with instant deaths dragged the experience down.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: January 17, 2022, 03:57:32 PM »
Well the state of FPS games right now is pathetic, I don't know anyone who's played the Halo campaign, but if it's too tough to take away from the fun that kind of blows. 

I still play Battlefield 2042 occassionally, but the player base is basically non existent.  The content isn't there and the maps aren't the greatest as time has gone on. 

I also still play COD Warzone, but the bugs and issues with the new map has lead to so many leaving the game.  At least the cheating issue is in a much better state.

I've started considering if Escape from Tarkov is worth buying and putting some time in.  It's more popular on twitch than the other games I mentioned and my tiktok feed has been filled with clips from the game that are hilarious.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1252 on: January 18, 2022, 12:08:59 AM »
I've started considering if Escape from Tarkov is worth buying and putting some time in.  It's more popular on twitch than the other games I mentioned and my tiktok feed has been filled with clips from the game that are hilarious.
Man go for it, it's a game like no other. It's brutal, unforgiving and will not hold your hand one bit and it's russian but it can be so rewarding and addictive.
Expect to die alot in the beginning though.  :D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1253 on: January 18, 2022, 08:50:51 AM »
So apparently Microsoft bought Activision. Damn, that is huge. Quite a blow to Playstation as well, unfortunately. Call of Duty, Diablo, Overwatch etc. are all Xbox game studios now. And in a weird twist of fate even Crash and Spyro.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1254 on: January 18, 2022, 08:53:47 AM »
Remember the good old days when MS could be be hit with antitrust sanctions because they included an internet browser in their OS?

This will probably end up being bad for console gamers in particular.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1255 on: January 18, 2022, 09:06:24 AM »
It's pretty clear Microsoft is gunning to be the Netflix of gaming, and it's going to work.

I actually just got off browsing the xbox site. For the first time since I was 12, I actually entertained the idea of buying a new Xbox instead of a PS5.

Ultimately though, I think this is terrible for gaming.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1256 on: January 18, 2022, 09:12:20 AM »
That's a crazy acquisition. I don't even who else is left now, granted I haven't kept up with any of the major publishing titles.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1257 on: January 18, 2022, 09:24:04 AM »
I only bought an xbox because the PS5 is impossible to get, unless you spend 900 euros or something. But the Xbox is staying for sure. I may not like it, but in the end Microsoft bought a big chunk of my favourite developers (dev teams: Double Fine, Arkane, Obsidian, Bethesda, Id software, Ninja Theory etc).

Still, I can't say I am unhappy with my Xbox experience. Their vision as is now is great. Their dedication to supporting 20+ years of games is second to none and Sony and especially Nintendo don't come close (which sucks because those two are my youth). My biggest criticism of gamepass is large games that get removed while you are in the middle of it. But when they own so much, it becomes less of a problem, if at all.

Sony is also coming with a service to take the place of PSnow and that is where the industry is headed (and why Sony also bought a developer aimed at making polished PC versions).

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1258 on: January 18, 2022, 09:57:21 AM »
As the first comment on Kotaku put it: "And then Disney buys Microsoft. And then Amazon buys Disney."

Cheeky of course but that's a staggering, frighteningly large acquisition. I have no reason to think AB will become any less of a terrible company after this but Microsoft really is making impressive moves the last few years and their GamePass business model is incredibly smart and consumer friendly - and I simply don't see how on earth Sony is going to be able to keep up.

That said I fully intend to buy a PS5 this year since I sold my 4 last year, instead of just getting a 4 Pro. I wanna play Red Dead with super fast load times. And with my Switch and PC I'll still have the best of all gaming worlds.

What a headline. 70 billion. Damn.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1259 on: January 18, 2022, 10:05:37 AM »
The only silver lining I see is that Bobby finally answers to someone other than his shareholders.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman