Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 172166 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #665 on: February 21, 2021, 09:35:57 AM »

It really is a great experience. And it showed good looking linear cinematic games of decent length are possible on a low budget. It kind of reminds me of a mixture between The Last of Us and a walking sim with puzzles.

I actually randomly pre-ordered this one because the bonus was a limited edition full sized vinyl. And I though that was a super cool preorder bonus, wasn't even a full priced title.

Cool......

I got to the fight with Sir Nicholas on friday. Failed quite a few times espescially on the third stage. Managed to beat him yesterday which felt really good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #666 on: February 21, 2021, 11:25:28 AM »
Just finished Ghost of Tsushima today. I loved the game. Absolutely beautiful. Great storytelling. One of my favourite games ever.

Horizon Zero Dawn next.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: February 21, 2021, 11:30:35 AM »
My 9 year old is loving Just Dance 2021. When she was spending a couple days a week at other families' homes for remote learning, that was part of their "recess." She expressed dismay that I was beating her despite my never having played it before. She was unaware I am a dancing machine.

Also about 1 hour in to Breath of the Wild. Enjoying it so far.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #668 on: February 21, 2021, 08:52:53 PM »
Just finished Ghost of Tsushima today. I loved the game. Absolutely beautiful. Great storytelling. One of my favourite games ever.

Horizon Zero Dawn next.

That's back to back goodness right there  :metal
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #669 on: February 21, 2021, 11:48:47 PM »
I just finished it last week, and yeah it was fantastic. Really immersive in general, great story and acting, and that end was really emotional.

Horizon Zero Dawn next.
Ahhh HZD is a 10/10 for me and one of my all-time favourites. More than any other game I've played, I found that it's actually worth paying attention to all the lore (mostly in audio recordings) because it's all actually relevant to the characters and narrative in the present, and really adds to the emotional impact of the game. I've played it twice and I know I'll play it again sometime.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #670 on: February 22, 2021, 08:59:47 AM »
I still have to do that campaign dlc for Horizon. And yeah, great game with a surprisingly sensical plot given it's setting.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #671 on: February 23, 2021, 09:26:28 AM »
I’m about 8 hours in to HZD (not back at work yet after getting COVID) and I’m loving it so far. I do tend to explore everywhere in these games and certainly don’t rush through them. I buy very few games so tend to devote a lot of time to them. I have nothing left to do in GoT - I cleared the map before going to the endgame.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: February 23, 2021, 02:16:15 PM »
I’m about 8 hours in to HZD (not back at work yet after getting COVID) and I’m loving it so far. I do tend to explore everywhere in these games and certainly don’t rush through them. I buy very few games so tend to devote a lot of time to them. I have nothing left to do in GoT - I cleared the map before going to the endgame.

I will say, GoT NG+ is pretty amusing. Clearing Mongol camps in the third zone is intense.

But, yeah. HZD is the bomb. I've been thinking of doing another playthrough.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #673 on: February 23, 2021, 02:37:08 PM »
I started playing Red Dead Redemption 2 again but this time on the PC. It's so nice to use gyro aiming on my Steam Controller. I barely have to use Dead Eye. The aiming was horrendous on the PS4.

Mang, I forgot how beautiful this game is and how R* got so many things right...and a few wrong. I wish there was a working mod that gives Arthur the ability to walk faster outdoors like he can in camp and indoors. I've no idea why R* decided to limit walking speed outdoors. Kills the immersion for Herrick when I can only do a slow grandpa stroll with nothing in between that speed and that goofy jog.

I'm about halfway through my second playthrough of the game. It definitely feels clunky at times and the control scheme can get in your way. I'd still call it a masterpiece though. The characters, graphics, story, and technical achievement of the thing are so impressive.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #674 on: February 23, 2021, 03:21:26 PM »
I started playing Red Dead Redemption 2 again but this time on the PC. It's so nice to use gyro aiming on my Steam Controller. I barely have to use Dead Eye. The aiming was horrendous on the PS4.

Mang, I forgot how beautiful this game is and how R* got so many things right...and a few wrong. I wish there was a working mod that gives Arthur the ability to walk faster outdoors like he can in camp and indoors. I've no idea why R* decided to limit walking speed outdoors. Kills the immersion for Herrick when I can only do a slow grandpa stroll with nothing in between that speed and that goofy jog.

I'm about halfway through my second playthrough of the game. It definitely feels clunky at times and the control scheme can get in your way. I'd still call it a masterpiece though. The characters, graphics, story, and technical achievement of the thing are so impressive.

I was intending to finish up Assassin's Creed Valhalla but it's been so much fun playing RDR2 again that I might just finish that instead. I'm now using a trainer that allows Arthur to walk faster. Unfortunately, it looks a little weird. I've never used a trainer in a game before. It's been nice being able to add money to my wallet to pay off those bullshit self defense bounties.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #675 on: February 23, 2021, 03:36:22 PM »

Awesome, if that's your approach then I think you'll get a lot out of the game. Hope you enjoy it!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #676 on: February 23, 2021, 04:05:27 PM »
Interesting, Sony announced they will launch a new VR set in the future. I think they did a solid job with PSVR 1, it ended up having a decent list of Sony first party titles and overall a good amount of content from third parties.

Edit: And Sony says they will bring more games to PC, which is great. Days Gone this spring apparently. I know that one reviewed lower, but it is actually one of my favourite open wolrd games on the PS4. If you like stuff like Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead and The Last of Us, I really recommend it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:49:25 PM by ErHaO »

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #677 on: February 23, 2021, 05:16:23 PM »
Interesting, Sony announced they will launch a new VR set in the future. I think they did a solid job with PSVR 1, it ended up having a decent list of Sony first party titles and overall a good amount of content from third parties.

Edit: And Sony says they will bring more games to PC, which is great. Days Gone this spring apparently. I know that one reviewed lower, but it is actually one of my favourite open wolrd games on the PS4. If you like stuff like Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead and The Last of Us, I really recommend it.

I played it right when it came out and I enjoyed it. I heard they added a lot of stuff to it including gyro aiming. I would've loved to play it with gyro aim.

And yeah good news about putting their stuff on PC. I'm sure the ultra exclusives won't make it, but I'm good with whatever they decide to put on PC. I'm hoping for Judgement to get ported over eventually.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #680 on: February 24, 2021, 08:32:02 AM »

I played it right when it came out and I enjoyed it. I heard they added a lot of stuff to it including gyro aiming. I would've loved to play it with gyro aim.

And yeah good news about putting their stuff on PC. I'm sure the ultra exclusives won't make it, but I'm good with whatever they decide to put on PC. I'm hoping for Judgement to get ported over eventually.

Judgement is a Yakuza studios/SEGA game, so I am confident it will hit Xbox/PC.

And I would not be surprised if they ported the big ones to pc to be honest, with a gap of several years. Horizon is one of the major PS4 titles. Days Gone is probably an easier non-messy port as it is Unreal Engine 4. And it is quite a looker on PS4 pro still if you ask me.

Days Gone for me had some of the most impressive and unique non-scripted moments in any open world I have played. For example, in the last area I basically had an hour long intense session for survival where I stumbled upon a horde, ran for my life, ended up in a camp I did not know was there, leading to a warzone between the gang and horde I barely survived, only to stumble upon another horde immediately afterwards, as well as two of the end game strong enemy types, which lead to another big battle that I just scraped by due to limited resources. I also greatly enjoyed laying out traps and planning routes to tackle hordes. And in general the open world also had a lot of smaller, well designed, shooter levels that made sense within the world.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #681 on: February 24, 2021, 09:09:37 AM »

Judgement is a Yakuza studios/SEGA game, so I am confident it will hit Xbox/PC.

And I would not be surprised if they ported the big ones to pc to be honest, with a gap of several years. Horizon is one of the major PS4 titles. Days Gone is probably an easier non-messy port as it is Unreal Engine 4. And it is quite a looker on PS4 pro still if you ask me.

Days Gone for me had some of the most impressive and unique non-scripted moments in any open world I have played. For example, in the last area I basically had an hour long intense session for survival where I stumbled upon a horde, ran for my life, ended up in a camp I did not know was there, leading to a warzone between the gang and horde I barely survived, only to stumble upon another horde immediately afterwards, as well as two of the end game strong enemy types, which lead to another big battle that I just scraped by due to limited resources. I also greatly enjoyed laying out traps and planning routes to tackle hordes. And in general the open world also had a lot of smaller, well designed, shooter levels that made sense within the world.

I was really surprised when they released Horizon Zero Dawn on PC. The challenge for me would be waiting for the end of the PS5 cycle for these games to come to PC. We shall see.

I never got the hang of battling hordes in Days Gone. I only did one where the story required it and I didn't want to do it again  :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #682 on: February 24, 2021, 11:19:07 AM »
I have a PS5 arriving this week, and I will be playing Days Gone as my first game. I heard it has some pretty impactful upgrades, and also that the game is much better since launch. The world also looks beautiful, from what I've seen.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #683 on: February 24, 2021, 02:47:19 PM »
I have a PS5 arriving this week, and I will be playing Days Gone as my first game. I heard it has some pretty impactful upgrades, and also that the game is much better since launch. The world also looks beautiful, from what I've seen.

Are PS5s mostly back in stock?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #684 on: February 24, 2021, 03:21:36 PM »

Are PS5s mostly back in stock?

They are still pretty scarce from what I've seen  :P

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #685 on: February 24, 2021, 04:33:43 PM »
Sony estimates the shortage will last to at least mid summer. Here it is almost a lottery to get one. Quite literally so in fact, as some stores have basically taken a lottery approach where you order a ticket and get a chance to buy one in the latest PS5 pool. Honestly, I prefer that approach over the scalping fuckery that has plagued the launchwindow.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #686 on: February 24, 2021, 04:43:18 PM »
The scalping crap really pisses me off

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #687 on: February 26, 2021, 10:08:14 AM »
Sony has some serious catching up to do where the PS5 is concerned.  I've had mine since the launch date (11/12/20) and there still has been no pushed system updates.  My external SSD drive still can't be formatted.  This was one of my concerns before I decided to pre-order.  However, there hasn't been any issues with playing PS4 games (at least the one's I've played so far).  I've been meaning to at least test all my PS4 games, but haven't gotten around to that yet.  It will take some time.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #688 on: February 26, 2021, 10:12:44 AM »
Loved Starcraft 1 as a kid even though I sucked at it, lol.

The first episode of II is free so I finally played that for the first time and LOVE it. Actually kind of know what I'm doing now as an adult.  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: February 26, 2021, 11:09:39 AM »
My buddy is a big into starcraft 2, he keeps trying to get me to play multiplayer. I'm sure I'm going to get pounded but I'll give it a shot, if anything to stop him from telling me to play :lol

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #690 on: February 27, 2021, 07:54:18 AM »
Sony has some serious catching up to do where the PS5 is concerned.  I've had mine since the launch date (11/12/20) and there still has been no pushed system updates.  My external SSD drive still can't be formatted.  This was one of my concerns before I decided to pre-order.  However, there hasn't been any issues with playing PS4 games (at least the one's I've played so far).  I've been meaning to at least test all my PS4 games, but haven't gotten around to that yet.  It will take some time.

there hasn’t been a ton of system updates but there have been some for sure.  I have an external hard drive connected (not an ssd though) and I did experience a few crashes but never lost any data. 

edit: looks like the last one was feb 3rd? https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5/system-software/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:00:00 AM by XeRocks81 »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #691 on: February 27, 2021, 08:19:10 AM »
Man, why do Pokemon games look so damn ugly? It is one of the biggest franchises of all time. I do like they are trying their hand at a full open world title, but that world seems to have next to zero visual flair to stimulate discovery. And the combat has little impact with the way it is animated, which has been the case for a while for 3D Pokemons. I thought Sword was entertaining, but I wish The Pokemon Company would invest in something that looks more like a grand console-tier adventure. Just look how Dragon Quest IX looks on the Switch, for example.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #692 on: February 27, 2021, 09:30:45 AM »
Man, why do Pokemon games look so damn ugly? It is one of the biggest franchises of all time. I do like they are trying their hand at a full open world title, but that world seems to have next to zero visual flair to stimulate discovery. And the combat has little impact with the way it is animated, which has been the case for a while for 3D Pokemons. I thought Sword was entertaining, but I wish The Pokemon Company would invest in something that looks more like a grand console-tier adventure. Just look how Dragon Quest IX looks on the Switch, for example.

(In small letters on the video)*Gameplay is not final :lol

You could tell its not done yet. Looks neat though. I imagine it'll play just like the Wild Area in Sword and Shield.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #693 on: February 27, 2021, 07:06:32 PM »
My buddy is a big into starcraft 2, he keeps trying to get me to play multiplayer. I'm sure I'm going to get pounded but I'll give it a shot, if anything to stop him from telling me to play :lol

If you ever do get into the multiplayer, I would be down for a match sometime. I am still a huge novice, lol.

On a sidenote, I bought Starcraft 1 remastered and OMG, I forgot how challenging the first one was. I started a match with me against the computer and died in less than 10 mins  :lol

Compare that to II where the computer adapts and I'm having reasonable matches

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #694 on: February 28, 2021, 02:39:09 AM »
Interesting game and concept:

https://youtu.be/_Ks43a0DFAc
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #695 on: February 28, 2021, 06:16:26 AM »

You could tell its not done yet. Looks neat though. I imagine it'll play just like the Wild Area in Sword and Shield.

Yeah, I agree the concept looks neat. I liked the wild area. Sold Sword before the wild area dlc's were out, so I am interested in a game focusing on that freedom as a whole.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: February 28, 2021, 08:01:38 AM »

If you ever do get into the multiplayer, I would be down for a match sometime. I am still a huge novice, lol.

I've played SC2 multiplayer for a while during Wings of Liberty. It's absolutely brutal, the game is very demanding. Remembering all the builds and timings was too much for me, I played for a while and then dropped it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #697 on: February 28, 2021, 08:52:44 AM »

Yeah, I agree the concept looks neat. I liked the wild area. Sold Sword before the wild area dlc's were out, so I am interested in a game focusing on that freedom as a whole.

It's pretty neat riding your Water Bike and then a Sharkpedo comes racing towards you. I was amazed at the openess of it and the Pokemon that were there at the start of the DLC. The first one has a Wailmer, and it's to Scale and holy shit it's huge....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #698 on: February 28, 2021, 07:34:01 PM »
Sony estimates the shortage will last to at least mid summer. Here it is almost a lottery to get one. Quite literally so in fact, as some stores have basically taken a lottery approach where you order a ticket and get a chance to buy one in the latest PS5 pool. Honestly, I prefer that approach over the scalping fuckery that has plagued the launchwindow.

They pay for a ticket to get a chance at paying for a PS5?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #699 on: March 01, 2021, 03:35:20 AM »

They pay for a ticket to get a chance at paying for a PS5?

Here in Finland, every major electronics retailer has launched the lottery thing, where you enter a competition and the winner has a chance to buy a PS5! Even a supermarket chain that sells games and tv's and stuff has that lottery competition now! It's ridiculous. :lol

Xbox Series X also seems to be under lock and key here. One retailer had a grand total of seven added to their inventory in the whole country, and you could not order them. The only way to buy them was to go to the store and ask behind counter. None of them were in my city, so I would have had to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest. And all of them were sold in less than 3 days. :lol

Also I decided to get AC: Valhalla! Coming from Odyssey, things seem very familiar with some big improvements. I love that gear is not tied to a level now. In Odyssey you would find a really cool dagger, and it would be useless half an hour later when you leveled up twice! Love that improvement.

I'm still in Norway, but hopefully I get to England next time I play!