Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 167452 times)

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #560 on: January 13, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »
I'll be honest, out of all the publishers, Ubisoft is the least exciting prospect for new star wars IMO.

Definitely understandable but Star Wars + open world really tickles my pickle. If lightsabers are involved, the combat needs to be waaaaay better than what Ubisoft has done for the last few ASSassin's Creed games.
Lets be honest here. It's going to be the typical Ubisoft open world RPG/Action/Stealthy/Collectibles/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

In other words a reskin of Watch Dogs, but with lightsabers instead of guns.....A reskin of Assassins Creed but with lightsabers instead of swords/axes/spears/bows.....A reskin of Far Cry/Ghost Recon/The Division but with.......you get the idea.....

Must you so brutally crush the hopes of Herrick?  :sad:
Sorry  :'(  I would love for them to make an amazing open world Star Wars RPG, I'm just not overly optimistic about it based on the past 10 years of Ubisoft games.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #561 on: January 13, 2021, 10:20:40 PM »
I'll be honest, out of all the publishers, Ubisoft is the least exciting prospect for new star wars IMO.

Definitely understandable but Star Wars + open world really tickles my pickle. If lightsabers are involved, the combat needs to be waaaaay better than what Ubisoft has done for the last few ASSassin's Creed games.
Lets be honest here. It's going to be the typical Ubisoft open world RPG/Action/Stealthy/Collectibles/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

In other words a reskin of Watch Dogs, but with lightsabers instead of guns.....A reskin of Assassins Creed but with lightsabers instead of swords/axes/spears/bows.....A reskin of Far Cry/Ghost Recon/The Division but with.......you get the idea.....

Must you so brutally crush the hopes of Herrick?  :sad:
Sorry  :'(  I would love for them to make an amazing open world Star Wars RPG, I'm just not overly optimistic about it based on the past 10 years of Ubisoft games.

I like a lot of their games but I agree, their is a blandness/samey feel throughout all of them. Hopefully, this upcoming Star Wars game won't resemble any of the past Ubisoft games but...they make lots of money on their formula. I'd rather see Respawn do an open world Star Wars game. I think they really nailed the combat in Fallen Order. 
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #562 on: January 14, 2021, 12:47:03 AM »
Ubisoft is the definition of "If it ain't broke don't fix it". :biggrin:

I happen to like some of the Ubisoft formula. I had a blast with AC: Odyssey, despite it's obvious flaws and I'm looking forward to trying Valhalla. So a SW game in that sort of style, would tick a lot of boxes for me personally.

I would have to imagine Lucasfilm Games has set a very high bar with quality assurance, so I think they won't accept an Assassins Creed reskin.

I'm super excited about the Indiana Jones game from Bethesda. :tup It's about time my favorite movie series to get a proper video game, that isn't a blatant cash grab!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:43:26 AM by Polarbear »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #563 on: January 14, 2021, 04:48:49 AM »
Ubisoft is the definition of "If it ain't broke don't fix it". :biggrin:

I happen to like some of the Ubisoft formula. I had a blast with AC: Odyssey, despite it's obvious flaws and I'm looking forward to trying Valhalla. So a SW game in that sort of style, would tick a lot of boxes for me personally.

I would have to imagine Lucasfilm Games has set a very high bar with quality assurance, so I think they won't accept an Assassins Creed reskin.

I'm super excited about the Indiana Jones game from Bethesda. :tup It's about time my favorite movie series to get a proper video game, that isn't a blatant cash grab!

It is mostly the structure of their titles and the fact that their output is so high (some franchises almost yearly), but I feel as a company overall they have a decent variety of gameplay mechanics.

For example, if AC wasn't like 14ish games in 13 years and it went, say, 1>2>4>Syndicate>Origins in terms of gameplay, nobody would say they took the if it isn't broke, don't fix it approach. And still, the games review and sell very well.

A Star Wars AC game sounds extremely appealing to me to be honest. Add force powers with satisfying combat and hopefully a good plot. Perhaps a bit of a combo with Starlink gameplay.

And history mode but set in Star Wars world could be one of the ultimate fan service experiences.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: January 14, 2021, 05:32:04 AM »
A Star Wars AC game sounds extremely appealing to me to be honest. Add force powers with satisfying combat and hopefully a good plot.

I'm currently enjoying the post game clean up in AC Valhalla, so this prospect is pretty appealing to me as well. Especially when you consider there would be no need, or even desire, to shoehorn in the Animus story/game play. Ubisoft easily could have left that out and just made Valhalla a Viking adventure. My one hope would be that they would get some help with the story writing. I don't think Ubisoft is bad, but a good Star Wars game, needs a good story. If Valhalla is any barometer, they could use some help.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #565 on: January 14, 2021, 05:39:25 AM »
A Star Wars AC game sounds extremely appealing to me to be honest. Add force powers with satisfying combat and hopefully a good plot.

I'm currently enjoying the post game clean up in AC Valhalla, so this prospect is pretty appealing to me as well. Especially when you consider there would be no need, or even desire, to shoehorn in the Animus story/game play. Ubisoft easily could have left that out and just made Valhalla a Viking adventure. My one hope would be that they would get some help with the story writing. I don't think Ubisoft is bad, but a good Star Wars game, needs a good story. If Valhalla is any barometer, they could use some help.

Also, Ghost of Tsuchima was basically almost an AC game without the modern day bullshit and less climbing/more elaborate combat. And it was awesome.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: January 14, 2021, 05:43:59 AM »

Also, Ghost of Tsuchima was basically almost an AC game without the modern day bullshit and less climbing/more elaborate combat. And it was awesome.

True, but that was Sucker Punch, not Ubisoft. I would love a SW game done in the Ghost of Tsushima style! That's my favorite game ever.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: January 14, 2021, 06:27:50 AM »
Who knows it might be good. The the last two SW releases were really good IMO, I loved Fallen Order and squadrons was a blast to play.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #568 on: January 14, 2021, 07:07:01 AM »

True, but that was Sucker Punch, not Ubisoft. I would love a SW game done in the Ghost of Tsushima style! That's my favorite game ever.

Yeah, I know, but to me it laid bare how much I really want Ubisoft to ditch the animus/modern world, which really is one of the main things dragging the series down immersionwise.  On a lot of fronts Ghost really is a polished AC game. I am sure Ubisoft has the talent in house to realise a great game.

Who knows it might be good. The the last two SW releases were really good IMO, I loved Fallen Order and squadrons was a blast to play.

Those are indeed great, thankfully there is no reason EA can't continue those series.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: January 14, 2021, 07:13:06 AM »
I'll never forget when I first played an AC game which was black flag. I somehow never knew there was any animus stuff before hand. I remember leaving the first island on a ship and really enjoying the opening scene of the game only for some reason ended being in a modern building going in an elevator. It kind of pissed me off because it just took me right out of the moment.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: January 14, 2021, 07:19:42 AM »
I'll never forget when I first played an AC game which was black flag. I somehow never knew there was any animus stuff before hand. I remember leaving the first island on a ship and really enjoying the opening scene of the game only for some reason ended being in a modern building going in an elevator. It kind of pissed me off because it just took me right out of the moment.

There is less of that in Valhalla, but it is extremely annoying when it arrives.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #571 on: January 14, 2021, 11:04:04 AM »

Yeah, I know, but to me it laid bare how much I really want Ubisoft to ditch the animus/modern world, which really is one of the main things dragging the series down immersionwise.  On a lot of fronts Ghost really is a polished AC game. I am sure Ubisoft has the talent in house to realise a great game.

Those are indeed great, thankfully there is no reason EA can't continue those series.

It seems like most fans don't care about the modern storyline, Herrick included. I haven't cared about it since AC3.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: January 14, 2021, 11:17:46 AM »
Interesting website for COD players....

www.sbmmwarzone.com (SBMM = skill based match making) this website ranks the lobbies you play in on a 4 tier difficulty level.  Interesting to see because I can totally sense when I'm playing with high or low skilled players based on my own competitiveness.  Surprised to see me with my under 1 KDR being put in gold lobbies.  Maybe because I play so much, but I think this is showing with SBMM doesn't work well.  Apparently this is pissing off a lot of the top players.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #573 on: January 19, 2021, 12:58:30 PM »
It seems like most fans don't care about the modern storyline, Herrick included. I haven't cared about it since AC3.

I've not really played an AC since the Italian trilogy, but my understanding is the modern stuff is never really the focus. For the original games it was a nice framing device, but I'm not certain why they continue to bother with it if it isn't leading towards actually playing as modern assassins.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: January 19, 2021, 01:10:12 PM »
Interesting website for COD players....

www.sbmmwarzone.com (SBMM = skill based match making) this website ranks the lobbies you play in on a 4 tier difficulty level.  Interesting to see because I can totally sense when I'm playing with high or low skilled players based on my own competitiveness.  Surprised to see me with my under 1 KDR being put in gold lobbies.  Maybe because I play so much, but I think this is showing with SBMM doesn't work well.  Apparently this is pissing off a lot of the top players.

I've been obsessing over this lately.  It's very interesting to see how well I play based on the skill lobby I get in.  I won a game over the weekend, it turns out I was in a lobby with the bottom 9% of players.  Makes sense that I'd win that as I'm not really any good at the game.  Turns out, I got into that lobby because my teammates all had bad KDR's.  I played with a friend who has a very high KDR and then we were joining gold and diamond lobbies... and getting my ass kicked.  Also, can easily see the hackers with this.  Kind of amazing when a hacker doesn't win too, competition is so damn tough at that level even without the hackers.  Makes it almost a non competitive game though from my perspective.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #575 on: January 19, 2021, 05:16:21 PM »

I've not really played an AC since the Italian trilogy, but my understanding is the modern stuff is never really the focus. For the original games it was a nice framing device, but I'm not certain why they continue to bother with it if it isn't leading towards actually playing as modern assassins.

Yeah I have no idea where the fuck they're going with it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #576 on: January 20, 2021, 04:34:54 AM »
On an unrelated note, I finally got around to jumping on the Among Us bandwagon, and I have to say I now understand the hype. This game is great with a group of friends.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #577 on: January 20, 2021, 07:04:00 AM »
On an unrelated note, I finally got around to jumping on the Among Us bandwagon, and I have to say I now understand the hype. This game is great with a group of friends.

It is certainly fun with a group of people.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #578 on: January 22, 2021, 10:58:01 AM »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: January 22, 2021, 11:01:27 AM »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #580 on: January 22, 2021, 12:55:55 PM »
Glad I won't feel that for a little while. In November 2019 I pre-paid for my Xbox Live through November 2022 and then was able to upgrade to GamePass Ultimate for the whole 3 years for 1 dollar.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #581 on: January 22, 2021, 02:45:53 PM »
Wait, if I'm reading that article correctly, it's going up by a dollar a month? That's hardly worth complaining over, but :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: January 22, 2021, 03:13:55 PM »
Wait, if I'm reading that article correctly, it's going up by a dollar a month? That's hardly worth complaining over, but :dunno:

Going forward, new pricing will be 1-month for $10.99, 3-months for $29.99, and 6-months for $59.99, or your local market equivalent.

Seems like it's a screw over for people who are new to the Gold membership.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #583 on: January 22, 2021, 03:51:23 PM »
I didn't see the big deal either, until I read that a yearly membership is $60. Now they are charging $60 for a 6-month membership. So it's basically doubling for most people.

I didn't even know they were only charging $60 a year. Back when I had the original Xbox, I think it was $50 a year.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #584 on: January 22, 2021, 05:47:25 PM »
Seems like it's a screw over for people who are new to the Gold membership.
And likely anyone who chooses to leave the program if they aren't using it and come back at a later date. I also wouldn't expect them to let people retain their current fee indefinitely, at some point everyone will be paying the new price.

I think Gold is already $80 or $90 annually here, Australian Xbox users won't be happy about this.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #585 on: January 22, 2021, 10:01:30 PM »
Hitman 3 just came out. Gonna wait till I have a PS5 to pick it up

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #586 on: January 22, 2021, 10:06:00 PM »
Hitman 3 just came out. Gonna wait till I have a PS5 to pick it up

I haven't even started Hitmang 2 yet. I'll wait for a good sale on the 3rd. They did a great job on bringing this series back. That other game that came out in 2014 or whenever was a huge disappointment. I didn't even finish it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #587 on: January 23, 2021, 05:00:28 AM »
Resident Evil 8 demo just was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP4p_unwBPA

I am liking what I'm seeing
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:51:30 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: January 23, 2021, 06:53:34 AM »
I'm taking a break from Cyberpunk after hitting a bug that won't let me progress, I'm about 25 hours into the game. I've started playing Deus Ex Human Revolution and I'm really enjoying it albeit it's a bit cheesy so far. I'm not really into stealth games so I'm going guns blazing where I can.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #589 on: January 23, 2021, 07:27:36 AM »
Resident Evil 8 demo just was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP4p_unwBPA

I am liking what I'm seeing

The game is giving me "RE4 but first person and less cheese" vibes. Which is a good thing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: January 23, 2021, 07:29:17 AM »
That looks good! I've only played RE1 and haven't been interested in the game since but since overcoming my fear of horror games I'm interested in playing RE8.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #591 on: January 23, 2021, 07:55:33 AM »
Looks like Microsoft walked back their Gold price change and also will make it so that free games no longer require a paid subscription to play.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #592 on: January 23, 2021, 10:55:13 AM »
I'm taking a break from Cyberpunk after hitting a bug that won't let me progress, I'm about 25 hours into the game. I've started playing Deus Ex Human Revolution and I'm really enjoying it albeit it's a bit cheesy so far. I'm not really into stealth games so I'm going guns blazing where I can.

Which bug is it?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #593 on: January 23, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »
Looks like Microsoft walked back their Gold price change and also will make it so that free games no longer require a paid subscription to play.

Did they realize they were going to go in the red?  :lol :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #594 on: January 23, 2021, 11:15:06 AM »
Xbox 180.