Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 160956 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #525 on: January 03, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »
Finished steamworld dig 1 and am probably halfway 2. 1 was a fun little game of about 5 hours, but 2 is a big upgrade. I think 2 is a great metroidvania, a couple of hours into the experience. And these games are fairly short yet feel involved enough with a good pacing, which is nice after the many long ass games I played last year

Now that I am home again I booted up Yakuza Like a Dragon. I really like it, but think I prefer the older titles. Still, as this is quite a different experience and is chock full of fun content, to me it is a very worthy new entry and also what the series needed after 7 highly similar titles (zero-6), a spin off and two remakes. I remember being one of the very few praising these games back in the ps2/early ps4 era and am super glad it found it's audience in the west.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #526 on: January 03, 2021, 09:22:18 PM »
I was disappointed to hear about the combat system for the new Yakuza game. Oh well. I hope they put the other Yakuza games on PC...and that Judgement game.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: January 03, 2021, 09:34:22 PM »
After playing CP2077 for some time I went back into Escape From Tarkov and Space Engineers. Two very diffrent games but games that I always get back to. The first being an adrenaline ride like no other and the latter just fun and creative.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #528 on: January 04, 2021, 12:42:19 PM »
I've logged over 25 hours in Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition so far. I'm really enjoying doing a 100% playthrough, as opposed to barely touching the sidequests like I've done for my previous playthroughs of the original game. I really like the quality-of-life improvements, and I especially like the addition of Expert Mode.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: January 04, 2021, 01:02:06 PM »
After playing CP2077 for some time I went back into Escape From Tarkov and Space Engineers. Two very diffrent games but games that I always get back to. The first being an adrenaline ride like no other and the latter just fun and creative.

I'm 65 hours into CP2077 and I'm starting to feel the drag of the side quests, been firing COD back up a bit more lately to get the adrenaline rush that I've been missing, but man, the new update really ruined the meta of the game which is so dissapointing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #530 on: January 04, 2021, 01:29:02 PM »
I was disappointed to hear about the combat system for the new Yakuza game. Oh well. I hope they put the other Yakuza games on PC...and that Judgement game.

To be fair, it works surprisingly well and the gameplay makes a lot of sense for the story/characters. I think with some tweaks they have an actual great RPG system for a series of these type of games in their hands. And as is it's pretty addictive with a quick pace, with some degree of real-time interactivity (quick time attacks and times blocking).

And the new town is very nice, though the two classics Kamarucho and Sotenbori are there as well.

I may have my preference, but I do think this approach was needed for the series. The game reviewed well with good reason, it's quite fun and there exists no other RPG that really feels like this.

Ideally they will switch between action games and RPG's and their output won't feel stale for many years.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #531 on: January 04, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »

I'm 65 hours into CP2077 and I'm starting to feel the drag of the side quests, been firing COD back up a bit more lately to get the adrenaline rush that I've been missing, but man, the new update really ruined the meta of the game which is so dissapointing.
I got sidetracked from COD because of all the insane updates and just uninstalled it one day. I kinda liked it but just got tired. I'm assuming the whole game now is around 2TB.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: January 04, 2021, 03:13:45 PM »

I got sidetracked from COD because of all the insane updates and just uninstalled it one day. I kinda liked it but just got tired. I'm assuming the whole game now is around 2TB.  :lol

It's a clusterfuck because Cold War is now mixed in, so it's almost like 3 games with Warzone overlapping the two main games.  It's a neat idea, but it's not implemented very well.  Well, maybe it is for making money as it's designed to get you to buy Cold War.  I don't know how big the game is, but I'm thinking it's around 250G.  All the large updates don't typically make the game bigger usually. It's a joke though how large and often the updates are. I can't wait for the next one to nerf some of these guns though, it's no fun when the DMR is the only gun everyone uses because it's so powerful.  But COD wants you to spend all your money on skins for the fancy new OP gun just so they can nerf it once the money dries out and then do the same to the next weapon. I absolutely hate it, but I think they found a way to make a shit ton of money as people continue to just throw money into a free game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: January 05, 2021, 03:39:31 PM »
Anyone have PC gaming headphone recommendations?  Wireless, surround sound, mic are requirements.  Looking at Razer BlackShark V2 Pro Wireless. 

My Logitech G933 have had issues since I got the set almost 3 years ago with constant firmware update failures on the unit, inconsistent sound quality, an application that just breaks the audio after the last update 6 months ago (and I haven't bothered trying to install it since) which makes most of the extra features useless, ear muffs that consistently fall off, and now a battery that can't hold a long charge, or charge while using it now.... anyway, point being, I do not want another logitech headset even though I loved the one I had before this.  I use Razer products for my other peripherals so was looking at their top end gaming headset. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #534 on: January 05, 2021, 05:44:37 PM »
Anyone have PC gaming headphone recommendations?  Wireless, surround sound, mic are requirements.  Looking at Razer BlackShark V2 Pro Wireless. 

My Logitech G933 have had issues since I got the set almost 3 years ago with constant firmware update failures on the unit, inconsistent sound quality, an application that just breaks the audio after the last update 6 months ago (and I haven't bothered trying to install it since) which makes most of the extra features useless, ear muffs that consistently fall off, and now a battery that can't hold a long charge, or charge while using it now.... anyway, point being, I do not want another logitech headset even though I loved the one I had before this.  I use Razer products for my other peripherals so was looking at their top end gaming headset.
Gaming headphones are almost universally shit. I prefer a good pair of audiophile over the ear headphones running through a headphone amp, then a separate mic. Surround sound headphones are also shit.  :P

Maybe someone else has a recommendation  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #535 on: January 05, 2021, 06:46:19 PM »

Gaming headphones are almost universally shit. I prefer a good pair of audiophile over the ear headphones running through a headphone amp, then a separate mic. Surround sound headphones are also shit.  :P

I also have a preamp, studio headphones (DT 770 PRO) and a separate mick (Blue Yeti). I used gaming headsets before but this is the best of both worlds for me. It's the more expensive route I guess but I highly recommend it.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #536 on: January 05, 2021, 06:58:24 PM »

I also have a preamp, studio headphones (DT 770 PRO) and a separate mick (Blue Yeti). I used gaming headsets before but this is the best of both worlds for me. It's the more expensive route I guess but I highly recommend it.
Indeed!
I've been using the Denon AH-D9200 headphones for about a year now running through a Schiit DAC and Amp. I also use the Blue Yeti mic.

I'm curious which preamp you are using? Or is it a preamp/amp combo?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #537 on: January 05, 2021, 07:23:49 PM »

Indeed!
I've been using the Denon AH-D9200 headphones for about a year now running through a Schiit DAC and Amp. I also use the Blue Yeti mic.

I'm curious which preamp you are using? Or is it a preamp/amp combo?
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD, i'm not sure it's a pure preamp more a headphone amp although there's a mick input but since the Yeti uses USB I don't use that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #538 on: January 06, 2021, 07:03:32 AM »
Tangentially off topic, but can I just say that I feel surround sound is a far bigger breakthrough for gaming than any graphics accomplishment.  I can live with graphics that do not replicate real life exactly, but I've come to EXPECT the sound to mimic my place in the world.  I run my games (and TV) through a Denon receiver with two rear speakers and a subwoofer, and it's ESSENTIAL.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: January 06, 2021, 08:00:13 AM »
Tangentially off topic, but can I just say that I feel surround sound is a far bigger breakthrough for gaming than any graphics accomplishment.  I can live with graphics that do not replicate real life exactly, but I've come to EXPECT the sound to mimic my place in the world.  I run my games (and TV) through a Denon receiver with two rear speakers and a subwoofer, and it's ESSENTIAL.

Now imagine playing a competitive multiplayer game where you need to listen to hear where enemies are coming from.  Now it is definitely essential.

Indeed!

Denon AH-D9200.... $1600? ... no. Now I can laugh at your response to my question  :lol  I would never spend that much money on headphones, especially since the wear and tear of them alone will lead them to break over the course of 4 years and I'm not one to throw my headphones in rage, it's just that I use them so much.  Mr Boom's got a much better price point and I bet the difference in sound isn't worth $1.3k.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #540 on: January 06, 2021, 08:59:24 AM »
I've been using the Sony MDR-7502 for almost 5 years and they're still going strong despite using them daily for hours. Great sound and price.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: January 06, 2021, 09:06:52 AM »
I've been using the Sony MDR-7502 for almost 5 years and they're still going strong despite using them daily for hours. Great sound and price.

Do you use software for surround then?

One of my random COD friends (random as in, we became friends via a random match and now continue to game together) recommended using a non gaming and cheaper headset but use Boom3D software.  I'm a bit skeptical on that.  I told him if his K/D goes up, I'll consider it and so far I haven't seen him play any better  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #542 on: January 06, 2021, 09:30:21 AM »

Now imagine playing a competitive multiplayer game where you need to listen to hear where enemies are coming from.  Now it is definitely essential.

Indeed!

Denon AH-D9200.... $1600? ... no. Now I can laugh at your response to my question  :lol  I would never spend that much money on headphones, especially since the wear and tear of them alone will lead them to break over the course of 4 years and I'm not one to throw my headphones in rage, it's just that I use them so much.  Mr Boom's got a much better price point and I bet the difference in sound isn't worth $1.3k.
I use my DT 770 for both music production and gaming and they're amazing at both imo with alot of depth and clarity.

https://www.thomann.de/se/beyerdynamic_dt770_pro80_ohm.htm

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #543 on: January 06, 2021, 10:50:31 AM »

Do you use software for surround then?
I've never used surround so dunno, maybe. They're studio headphones.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #544 on: January 06, 2021, 08:44:44 PM »

Indeed!

They used to be $1200 MSRP, but I got them for $500 since I'm a direct dealer with Denon. And they do indeed sound that good when run through a headphone amp. And the build quality is much better than the vast majority of (probably all) "gaming" headsets out there. No plastic. Made from metal, wood, and leather.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #545 on: January 06, 2021, 10:45:46 PM »
Cyberpunk 2077 quest rewards seem bugged to me. There's a definite bug at the end of Psycho Killers where you get nothing, but I think other run-of-the-mill quests have bugged rewards as well. Some times I do not see any money pop up on the screen when I should be getting a reward. I just did a quest where I got a bonus for completing a no-kill optional objective. I went to the drop point and got nothing. I don't know, maybe all the extra money was included when I got paid before going to the drop point for the "bonus"?

I'm almost done with the game and have all the money I need and all the skills I want so it doesn't really matter. I save all the time but I can't be bothered to reload a previous save to see if I actually made money off the last quest...but it's a little annoying. I think this was a problem with The Witcher 3 as well.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #546 on: January 07, 2021, 05:33:21 AM »

I use the Sony MDR-1000x, which is a predecessor to the popular WH-1000xm3/4's.

I don't know about surround sound. In games with sublime audio like The Last of Us 2 I can place where someone is walking upstairs, for example. But this is because the devs programmed it and allow you to adjust a lot of parameters to finetune your headphones. These Sony's I have do not have a very wide soundstage though and are closed back, I imagine open back headphones with a great wide soundstage will enhance gaming audio in terms of separation.

(I used to live in a noisy student flat, so being able to use noise cancelling while using the wired connection was why I went with the Sony).

I have no experience with modern surround sound headsets. They used to be bad, but perhaps this has changed lately.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: January 07, 2021, 07:44:25 AM »
Cyberpunk 2077 quest rewards seem bugged to me. There's a definite bug at the end of Psycho Killers where you get nothing, but I think other run-of-the-mill quests have bugged rewards as well. Some times I do not see any money pop up on the screen when I should be getting a reward. I just did a quest where I got a bonus for completing a no-kill optional objective. I went to the drop point and got nothing. I don't know, maybe all the extra money was included when I got paid before going to the drop point for the "bonus"?

I'm almost done with the game and have all the money I need and all the skills I want so it doesn't really matter. I save all the time but I can't be bothered to reload a previous save to see if I actually made money off the last quest...but it's a little annoying. I think this was a problem with The Witcher 3 as well.

Yea, I've heard of these problems too and wasn't quite sure if I experienced it and just didn't realize.  I had a bug yesterday where I couldn't take damage, took me awhile to realize it (I thought I was playing really well  :lol) so then I decided to take my bugged game and go beat the brats since I couldnt do that before  :lol

Anyway, if I load my game back and it's still bugged like that tonight, I think I'm just going to breeze through the last story missions and call it a day with Cyberpunk 2077.  I'm level 42 but I did want to get to 50 before continuing with the main story, but if my main save is bugged for good, I'm not going to bother going back to a previous save.  Game was fun and all, but I think I've gotten tired of it quicker than any of the Fallout games or Skyrim mostly due to the main storyline not being long enough so I fill up my time with the side missions which a significant amount are extremely uninteresting from a story perspective.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #548 on: January 07, 2021, 11:11:19 AM »
Hitman 3 in VR looks really fun.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #549 on: January 07, 2021, 08:41:56 PM »
- Between Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk, I feel as though CD Projekt Red are the best in the business when it comes to implementing compelling, interesting endings in games with branching story paths. I haven't looked up all the endings, but I think that their general approach was very clever. One minor criticism I will make is that Cyberpunk's endings have more of a "slot machine" vibe than Witcher 3. I felt like one of the endings I got was interesting, but also didn't follow all that logically from the decisions I made.

I just finished Cyberpunk 2077. No spoilers. I thought the ending I got was appropriate for the decisions I made. It wasn't the "best" ending but it was kind of satisfactory. I'm wondering which ending you got. I don't know how to use spoiler tags so I'll PM you the ending I got if you're interested.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #550 on: January 08, 2021, 03:42:31 AM »
Hitman 3 in VR looks really fun.

Modern Hitman is such a great series. Being a console player though, I now have the dillema between PSVR(ps4) and the Series X. I will probably go for the non-VR latter for the time being. And buy it for PSVR if it is cheaper.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #551 on: January 08, 2021, 07:48:57 PM »
The last couple of mins of this video sums up the love and hate relationship you have with Escape from Tarkov as a player.  :lol Tarkov giveth Tarkov taketh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRIxbB_cw1M&t=796s&ab_channel=AlsoAqua

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #552 on: January 10, 2021, 09:56:20 PM »
I went onto the Nintendo Shop browsing to see what was on sale and saw The Outer Worlds on Sale. So, I decided to get it.

I haven't been able to play this kind of Story RPG since a long time, usually because these modern ones are big file sizes and didn't have fast enough internet to download it all. Until now...

I am enjoying it so far. It's not too hard and also not too easy as well. I am doing it on Normal, just to get acquainted and add a bit of challenge to it. Right off the bat, I was getting used to the controls, and talked to the first guy you meet, and then hit the wrong button and smacked him the face and killed him.  :lol

I am having fun with the dialog in this game, my character has pretty good intelligence and dialog, so It's coming out with pretty good responses.

Had to reload a couple of times, because I accidentally entered the area I wasn't supposed to yet, because I wanted to do the optional quest, and fudged that up...

A lot to get used to again with these games but, I am enjoying it so far. Even though, I know I haven't even done much at all yet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: January 13, 2021, 12:24:24 PM »
Ended up buying the Razer headphones I was looking at but also purchased a Blue Yeti mic to go along with it and I immediately am seeing improvements on both sound and according to my COD teammate, an improvement in my mic as well.  Good stuff, glad to be done with those older headphones and have something more consistent. Updated my OBS and streamlabs settings and I'm back in action with the new hardware. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: January 13, 2021, 03:00:48 PM »
That's a nice mic Cram, my brother swears by it.

I have the Blue snowball myself and I'm happy with it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #555 on: January 13, 2021, 03:53:46 PM »
So Lucas Arts games, with a similar approach to licensing as Marvel games. Sound like a great idea.

Apparently the team behind the modern Wolfenstein games is making an Indiana Jones title, sounds awesome to me. Perhaps Uncharted-esque?

And Star Wars isn't exclusive to EA anymore! Ubisoft is making an open world Star Wars game. Which does really sound cool as well! This also does not (necessarily) mean EA is done with Star Wars. I fully expect Fallen Order 2.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #556 on: January 13, 2021, 04:37:06 PM »
I'll be honest, out of all the publishers, Ubisoft is the least exciting prospect for new star wars IMO.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #557 on: January 13, 2021, 07:20:27 PM »
I'll be honest, out of all the publishers, Ubisoft is the least exciting prospect for new star wars IMO.

Definitely understandable but Star Wars + open world really tickles my pickle. If lightsabers are involved, the combat needs to be waaaaay better than what Ubisoft has done for the last few ASSassin's Creed games.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #558 on: January 13, 2021, 08:38:22 PM »

Definitely understandable but Star Wars + open world really tickles my pickle. If lightsabers are involved, the combat needs to be waaaaay better than what Ubisoft has done for the last few ASSassin's Creed games.
Lets be honest here. It's going to be the typical Ubisoft open world RPG/Action/Stealthy/Collectibles/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

In other words a reskin of Watch Dogs, but with lightsabers instead of guns.....A reskin of Assassins Creed but with lightsabers instead of swords/axes/spears/bows.....A reskin of Far Cry/Ghost Recon/The Division but with.......you get the idea.....
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #559 on: January 13, 2021, 08:43:22 PM »

Lets be honest here. It's going to be the typical Ubisoft open world RPG/Action/Stealthy/Collectibles/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

In other words a reskin of Watch Dogs, but with lightsabers instead of guns.....A reskin of Assassins Creed but with lightsabers instead of swords/axes/spears/bows.....A reskin of Far Cry/Ghost Recon/The Division but with.......you get the idea.....

Must you so brutally crush the hopes of Herrick?  :sad: