Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 166826 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
So I booted up GTA5 SP today and actually ran into Trevor while playing Michael and found out for the first time that you could hang out and do activities with each character. After so many years I actually didn't know you could meet up like that.  :lol

I've been playing GTA 5 on and off for 7 years, have been playing it the last few days, and never knew this. Wtf!

I'm excited to use the new PS5 controller.

I Never knew this because I never, ever, Met another Character. When I would go to their homes, they weren't there.

Never thought to try and get Two Characters to meet up by controlling them both, and hoping they'd stay where they are.  :lol
That's what I did, I drove to Trevors place with Michael and parked outside and took control of Trevor and he happened to be in the trailer so i just walked outside and met up with Michael. Switched to Michael and when I got near Trevor he asked me to hang out and play dart.  :lol I didn't actual plan to meet up with Trevor there because he's usually some other place, I guess I was lucky.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »
There's this classic meme that floats around reddit often

[snip]

Then there's this:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2020, 02:39:05 PM »
The leap from FF IX to FF X was huge because of the PS2.  However, I played the first FF on Super Nintendo which was 30 years ago.  :eek
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2020, 05:06:33 PM »

And the same can be said about elder scrolls unfortunately. Releasing the same game continuously over a decade is very lame.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2020, 07:39:46 PM »

And the same can be said about elder scrolls unfortunately. Releasing the same game continuously over a decade is very lame.
To be fair. Todd Howard is completely off his rocker these days. Same with Pete Hines. Bethesda needs a firm kick in the pants. I thought Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 would be the motivation they needed to make something truly amazing again, but then we got Fallout 76..... :puke: And with Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 nowhere in sight....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2020, 07:43:23 PM »
$$$ talks, those games were so big that they kept and continue to milk them.  It's up to us gamers to move on, but we keep buying and playing those games giving the companies less reason to develop a new game.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2020, 07:43:49 AM »
The only thing that is easy to find is the series S, it is basically available for preorder in almost every store, nobody seems to want it to the extent MS expected. Nor do I after I read up on it, too much compromises. Like, at 500gb you will for sure need extra storage and 1gb extra costs like 200 euros, at which point it makes no sense to not opt for the 1gb series X in my opinion. A cheap 1080p alternative sounds nice, but is comes with half the (expensive) storage, no discs, no One X (previous gen) upgrades for backward compatible titles, and seemingly compromises like no ray-tracing in several titles already.
I wish it was as easy to find in the UK, there doesn't seem to be stock of it anywhere here now. I sold my PS4 recently, as I thought it wouldn't be too tricky to get a Series S - if not for release, then maybe shortly after, but now I'm thinking I've messed up.

I decided to sell the PS4 now, as it had been making some unhealthy noises anyway, plus the S is cheap for a new console and game pass looks great value. I thought the price I'd get for it would drop quickly with the new consoles coming, that's why I decided not to wait any longer. So now I have no console to play on and who knows when I'll be able to get one! Can't even play PC games with game pass, as I discovered you can only do that with Windows 10.  :facepalm:

If you don't own any gaming device, it makes more sense, I agree.

But still, for 100 dollars more you have a full fledged PS5 (digital model) that will also play nearly all the PS4 stuff you might own.

Gamepass is nice though and has a promising future now that MS is investing more in their own content.

Still, there are already games not running even in full HD or without certain graphical features on the series S. I am personally curious how well the games are going to be optimised in a couple of years, when devs really push the consoles.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »

To be fair. Todd Howard is completely off his rocker these days. Same with Pete Hines. Bethesda needs a firm kick in the pants. I thought Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 would be the motivation they needed to make something truly amazing again, but then we got Fallout 76..... :puke: And with Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 nowhere in sight....

Completely agree with you on the Todd Howard front. I really hope the MS acquisition gives them a kick they need.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »

Completely agree with you on the Todd Howard front. I really hope the MS acquisition gives them a kick they need.

They absolutely should. That was one of the positives for the upcoming acquisition. Unfortunately though, that does not seem to be the plan. I read some interviews regarding the plans with Bethesda and honestly it seems it is going to do fuck all beyond everything likely being Microsoft store/gamepass exclusive.

Todd Howard:
Bethesda is "giving up very little," adding: "[Microsoft is] very creator-driven, we're still going to get to be who we are. We're a subsidiary, but we're still running our games and pushing everything the way that we have.
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-28-todd-howard-the-next-generation-is-about-access

Xbox boss Phil Spencer said something similar. As a subsidiary, Bethesda is expected to run itself.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »

They absolutely should. That was one of the positives for the upcoming acquisition. Unfortunately though, that does not seem to be the plan. I read some interviews regarding the plans with Bethesda and honestly it seems it is going to do fuck all beyond everything likely being Microsoft store/gamepass exclusive.

Todd Howard:
Bethesda is "giving up very little," adding: "[Microsoft is] very creator-driven, we're still going to get to be who we are. We're a subsidiary, but we're still running our games and pushing everything the way that we have.
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-28-todd-howard-the-next-generation-is-about-access

Xbox boss Phil Spencer said something similar. As a subsidiary, Bethesda is expected to run itself.
I also just read an article on Engadget about how Bethesda is only adding/revamping features in their Creation Engine (*cough* Netimmerse....*cough cough* Gamebryo). So no new engine. The only good thing to take away from that is we will still have the ability to mod the games to our hearts content. However, I expect every legacy issue that has been in their games since Morrowind to be present as well. And those legacy issues are not OK in this day and age of game development.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »
If there's still any survival horror fans here, I highly recommend a game called Visage, came out on PC and consoles a few days ago.
Remember P.T? I think this is what it would have felt like.
Easily the best thing since RE7, I may say it's even better.
I've been playing it in 30 minute increments then resorted to playing it with it's audio off and NPR on, to reduce the tension. Not proud of that  :loser:
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2020, 05:51:55 AM »

Todd Howard:

I also just read an article on Engadget about how Bethesda is only adding/revamping features in their Creation Engine (*cough* Netimmerse....*cough cough* Gamebryo). So no new engine. The only good thing to take away from that is we will still have the ability to mod the games to our hearts content. However, I expect every legacy issue that has been in their games since Morrowind to be present as well. And those legacy issues are not OK in this day and age of game development.

I've heard the same stories about MS being creator driven but they will also give you a kick in the ass if needed, see Chris Roberts and Freelancer.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2020, 08:15:29 AM »
If there's still any survival horror fans here, I highly recommend a game called Visage, came out on PC and consoles a few days ago.
I've been playing it in 30 minute increments then resorted to playing it with it's audio off and NPR on, to reduce the tension. Not proud of that  :loser:

Interesting.  Refresh my memory on what P.T. stands for?  ???
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2020, 08:20:02 AM »
Playable Teaser: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.T._(video_game)

It was the proof of concept for Kojima's planned but ultimately cancelled Silent Hill game.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »
Yeah, that took place and got removed before I even bought my PS4.  I had no idea it was out there.  I am a fan of the Silent Hill series.  Hopefully Hideo will change his mind and consider releasing it on the next-gens.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »
Portal Reloaded - Gameplay Trailer

I had to think for a sec how that worked, always cool seeing the mod community taking a game to the next level.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2020, 05:43:51 AM »
Agreed, I haven't played Portal in years and this will give me a good excuse to.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2020, 06:17:09 AM »
That Portal update looks fun as hell. I actually played Portal 2 earlier this year and it was still so much fun.
Anyone played the Alyx VR game? If yes what VR headset was used?

I finally have a PC powerful enough to play it but am loathe to get a VR set just for that one game and maybe a couple of other uses.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2020, 08:53:19 AM »

My favourite first person survival-horror is Alien Isolation. Very tense game as well. I think the unconvential way the Alien hunts you down in non-scripted fashion frustrated a lot of reviewers, but to me escaping it and confronting it was an absolute thrill and I got the hang of it. It is much more of a stealth game than a lot of other surival horror games, but that makes sense given the context.  I don't think any of the Alien films are even remotely scary, but this game is tense as hell.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2020, 10:31:02 AM »

My favourite first person survival-horror is Alien Isolation. Very tense game as well. I think the unconvential way the Alien hunts you down in non-scripted fashion frustrated a lot of reviewers, but to me escaping it and confronting it was an absolute thrill and I got the hang of it. It is much more of a stealth game than a lot of other surival horror games, but that makes sense given the context.  I don't think any of the Alien films are even remotely scary, but this game is tense as hell.
It took me some good couple of months before I actually finished it. I had to take some pauses because how intense it was.  :lol
One of my favourite gaming experiences playing that game. My butt still clenches when I think about the time I brutally discovered The Alien could crawl after you in the vents.  :eek

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2020, 10:50:41 AM »

That looks awesome. Will check it out

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2020, 02:35:22 PM »
That Portal update looks fun as hell. I actually played Portal 2 earlier this year and it was still so much fun.

I finally have a PC powerful enough to play it but am loathe to get a VR set just for that one game and maybe a couple of other uses.

If you get a VR make sure to get Beat Saber. Really fun game.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2020, 05:26:08 PM »
Good god, what a cluster-fuck Ubisoft's subscription service is. I signed up for it again so I could play Watch Dogs Legion and Assassins Creed Valhalla on Wednesday. I got to play Wednesday and Thursday, but on Thursday evening it says my account has been suspended because my payment failed (mind you my credit card has already been charged). There is nothing wrong with my card. Their "support" suggests using a different payment method (among a long list of copy/pasted nonsense to try), so I try using Paypal. The payment goes through and I'm charged another 14.99, but now it says my subscription has been canceled and suspended. So now I've paid $30 and got 2 days of service....

Guess I'll be charging back my card and reporting the Paypal charge and never using Ubisoft again. Fuck those guys. How do you screw up a subscription service that bad. It almost feels like I'm being scammed at this point.

.....and that's my rant for the day.... >:(
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
Good god, what a cluster-fuck Ubisoft's subscription service is. I signed up for it again so I could play Watch Dogs Legion and Assassins Creed Valhalla on Wednesday. I got to play Wednesday and Thursday, but on Thursday evening it says my account has been suspended because my payment failed (mind you my credit card has already been charged). There is nothing wrong with my card. Their "support" suggests using a different payment method (among a long list of copy/pasted nonsense to try), so I try using Paypal. The payment goes through and I'm charged another 14.99, but now it says my subscription has been canceled and suspended. So now I've paid $30 and got 2 days of service....

Guess I'll be charging back my card and reporting the Paypal charge and never using Ubisoft again. Fuck those guys. How do you screw up a subscription service that bad. It almost feels like I'm being scammed at this point.

.....and that's my rant for the day.... >:(

I would be looking into doing something about that. Because they're not providing you the service they promised when you paid for it. And suggesting to pay again, and you did, and it happened again. If it's not just you, but many people, and you all report this, there's a good possibility there will be an investigation on it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2020, 01:18:16 AM »
That sounds weird, I have to ask though: Subscription service as in paying a monthly fee?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2020, 01:42:54 AM »
That sounds weird, I have to ask though: Subscription service as in paying a monthly fee?
It's a similar service to Xbox Game Pass.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2020, 03:35:19 AM »
Ok, i've never used a service like that for games. I guess it's more a console thing?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2020, 09:48:14 AM »
Ok, i've never used a service like that for games. I guess it's more a console thing?
No, Xbox Game Pass and Ubisoft+ are available on PC, just like EA Play and there are a few other ones out there. You just pay a monthly fee and can play as many games as are available on the service as you want. Granted Xbox game pass is the best of them.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2020, 11:15:30 PM »
https://youtu.be/HBtbf8ssBn0

Mass Effect trilogy remaster officially confirmed! :tup

All story dlc included in the box!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2020, 06:18:18 AM »
Pumped about this, I've been playing through ME for the first time and finished ME2 a month ago, figuring out where to buy and add the DLC has been a complete nightmare.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2020, 05:27:48 PM »

I did, and loved it. I've got the Valve Index with the new controllers and the only negative is that it makes other VR games pale in comparison. :lol  At its current price, it's hard to recommend just for that game, but I would only play it with the tracking accuracy that the Index/Vive offer.

Regarding the GamePass discussion, if you haven't signed up (and even if you have*) DON'T BUY IT DIRECTLY. Load up your account with up to 36 months of gold first ($180 value), then sign up for GamePass Ultimate which will convert your gold to 36 months of Ultimate ($540 value).

IMPORTANT: When adding gold to your account, DO NOT ENABLE AUTO-RENEW. They will offer an additional month, but then you won't be able to add all 36 months (if using 3x 12 month codes)

Nobody knows if/when this day-for-day conversion rate will change, could be Tuesday to coincide with the launch and addition of EA Play, could be never.

*Current GamePass subscribers only get the dollar value converted when adding gold (4 months of ultimate per 12 month code). However, depending on how much time you have remaining, it may be economical to contact Microsoft to remove your sub completely (forfeiting your remaining time). Now you can load up on Gold and are again eligible for the 1:1 conversion rate. I just did precisely that process yesterday with no issues.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2020, 06:05:59 AM »
I did that Gold trick and recently actual Gamepass Ultimate codes where on sale here for 90 euros a year, so now I have gamepass until the end of 2023 (I have had it for a while now). If all goes well, I will have a series X tomorrow.

PS5 will follow eventually but a) it is impossible or very expensive to get and b) the launch games really do cost 80 euros (95 US dollars), so I am fine waiting for a bit.

And apparently Assassin's Creed Valhalla is pretty good, it is reviewing well. As usual though, I will likely wait for when the season pass is finished before buying. Even at launch price I think Ubisoft tends to offer good value, but I just prefer being able to do the extra content while I am into the game.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2020, 07:00:41 AM »
Yeah, I did that about a year ago. Extended my Gold out to November 2022 (which I would have stayed subscribed to anyway), and for $1 upgraded it to GamePass
Photobucket sucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2020, 07:27:31 AM »

I did, and loved it. I've got the Valve Index with the new controllers and the only negative is that it makes other VR games pale in comparison. :lol  At its current price, it's hard to recommend just for that game, but I would only play it with the tracking accuracy that the Index/Vive offer.

Thanks for the feedback, shame these VR sets with the whole tracking setup cost so much though it is understandable. Can't get one of those just yet, maybe next year.

If you get a VR make sure to get Beat Saber. Really fun game.

I did look at that and it was a lot of fun, probably get it next year depending on how much the VR sets go for.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2020, 05:11:37 PM »
https://youtu.be/HBtbf8ssBn0

Mass Effect trilogy remaster officially confirmed! :tup

All story dlc included in the box!

Nice!

And it is confirmed Bioware is working on a new Mass Effect with a "veteran" team.

I think EA may be at the start of somewhat of a redemption tour and I hope it pays off. Many of their franchises crashed and burned and their lootbox businessmodels are becoming illegal in more and more countries.