Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 165814 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #455 on: December 19, 2020, 08:25:39 AM »
Funny, after all this talk last night about not really having game crashes... and I get one. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #456 on: December 21, 2020, 07:06:28 AM »
If CDPR sticks to their guns, this game could end up being a redemption arc similar to No Man's Sky. I have no reason to doubt that CDPR will pull it off.

Having said that, I think the game is awesome and have only encountered 1 bug and 0 crashes in the 20+ hours I've played so far, plus it runs perfectly fine on my PC. Outside of the obvious issues with the last gen console versions, I think a lot of the flak this game is getting is waaaay over exaggerated.

I'm playing on the Xbox One X, and have only encountered two crashes after 30 hours. I've also encountered a few quest-breaking bugs that were fixed with a reload, some momentary freezing, along with quite a few hilarious bugs. In other words, my experience with the game has not been perfect but it has been much smoother than some of the anecdotes I'm reading online. I don't doubt that there are major problems - there clearly are - but I also think that people are milking the entertainment factor that comes with this kind of controversy, sometimes not in the most honest way. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #457 on: December 21, 2020, 07:14:42 AM »
I am enjoying the game (also on Xbox One X), but I think the bugs have just become the easy thing to point toward instead of articulating some larger disappointments. Such as, the pre-GTA San Andreas AI, the lack of really meaningful RPG elements and well-written side quests, and the train-set style open world. All of this leads to a far less immersive experience than people were probably hoping for, even if it's still an unprecedented game.   

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #458 on: December 21, 2020, 07:27:13 AM »
I am enjoying the game (also on Xbox One X), but I think the bugs have just become the easy thing to point toward instead of articulating some larger disappointments. Such as, the pre-GTA San Andreas AI, the lack of really meaningful RPG elements and well-written side quests, and the train-set style open world. All of this leads to a far less immersive experience than people were probably hoping for, even if it's still an unprecedented game.
I agree, I can handle minor bugs and less graphics but that's definitely one thing that's noticable and a bit disappointing imo. It's in no way a gamebreaking thing but something like that can really help with the immersion which is important in a game like this. I mean compared to the AI in GTA V it's night and day.

I will say once again though, despite having a pre RTX card it runs really well for me and also looks great. I hade a few sudden crashes to desktop yesterday after the 1.05 patch but apparently as soon as I installed the 460.89 driver they disappeared.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: December 21, 2020, 09:00:39 AM »
NPCs overall are the most buggy part of the game.  So them not being so immersive, almost seems like part of the struggle with creating them.  However, I've gone to a lot of parts on the map where there are a HUGE amount of NPCs wondering around in close proximity, which is something I've not experienced in any GTA game.  There's a few times it almost felt like legit walking in Times Square.  I've had a couple more unique encounters too, but there's not much dialogue or ways to interact generally.  As I've done more side quests, I've also felt there are some good ones in there with some story.  Johnny appears in quite a bit of them for example.

I'm really enjoying the game quite a bit, maybe the most fun I've had playing in a long time.  I do still struggle with the difficulty at times and get so mad, but usually I figure it out and pull through.  Just love seeing the progress of my character go from a weakling to a super powerful cyborg.  I'm over 30 hours in and level 24.  I'm off from work today and might play for 10 hours  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #460 on: December 21, 2020, 11:26:15 AM »
NPCs overall are the most buggy part of the game.  So them not being so immersive, almost seems like part of the struggle with creating them.  However, I've gone to a lot of parts on the map where there are a HUGE amount of NPCs wondering around in close proximity, which is something I've not experienced in any GTA game.  There's a few times it almost felt like legit walking in Times Square.  I've had a couple more unique encounters too, but there's not much dialogue or ways to interact generally.  As I've done more side quests, I've also felt there are some good ones in there with some story.  Johnny appears in quite a bit of them for example.

I'm really enjoying the game quite a bit, maybe the most fun I've had playing in a long time.  I do still struggle with the difficulty at times and get so mad, but usually I figure it out and pull through.  Just love seeing the progress of my character go from a weakling to a super powerful cyborg.  I'm over 30 hours in and level 24.  I'm off from work today and might play for 10 hours  :lol

Dammit, I love that.  Last time that happened was probably BioShock II (it might have been Infinite).  I was in Erie without my family, I had an apartment, and I took a day off and literally sat on my couch, ate pizza and played PS3. It was like a caricature of an advertisement. I had the stereo blasting Genesis in surround sound (I had just gotten the box sets).  That was an almost perfect day.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: December 21, 2020, 12:05:14 PM »
I usually can't game for more than 2 hours at a time before I need a break and even then, that's on extreme occasions like late night playing with friends or days off like today... but I'm kind of obsessed with this game and find I can play for much longer than 2 hours and not even realize it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: December 21, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »
I usually can't game for more than 2 hours at a time before I need a break and even then, that's on extreme occasions like late night playing with friends or days off like today... but I'm kind of obsessed with this game and find I can play for much longer than 2 hours and not even realize it.

I feel like I am right there with you Cram. I rarely game for intervals longer than an hour but my cyberpunk playthrough has been done in long stretches.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #463 on: December 21, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »
Same here. Its blows my mind how back in the day as a kid I would go for like 8+ hours with stuff like Final Fantasy 8, Morrowind and knights of the old republic.

Now a days, I can barely play for 2 hours  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #464 on: December 21, 2020, 04:44:00 PM »
That is great to hear. For me it is quite easy to sink hours into a game I enjoy, but that most often happens only singleplayer experiences with a focus on story.

I have been playing Yakuza Like a Dragon and I think it is excellent. It is very quirky and more oddball than any of the other mainline Yakuza titles, so I am not sure if I can just recommend it to anyone, but to those who have affinity with JRPGs, Japanese humor, and offcourse the Yakuza games it is worth checking out. Like all Yakuza games though, the beginning can be a little bit overbearing with hours of cutscenes and dialogue before it really starts going. But I absolutely love it. And man is there a lot of content here, as is custom in many Yakuza games. But the whole party system and JRPG premise make me more inclined to do side stuff than usual.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #465 on: December 21, 2020, 05:25:40 PM »

Agreed. I was very disappointed with the side quests until 40 hours in when I finally started to get some good ones. I do not know why this is. Must have to do with progression in the main quest which I was putting off for a while.

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: December 21, 2020, 09:57:01 PM »
I enjoyed the one side quest that had you looking for an old concert bootleg  :metal

Today I downloaded all my twitch videos and made a bug edit for youtube, but also found this clip that I forgot about.  I put it in the video as I think that sword swipe was a bug the way it threw the guy, but also where he landed and how the dead body drove off was so perfect and funny, just as I used a perk point on my blades and wanted to show off my "samurai" skills  :rollin

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #467 on: December 22, 2020, 01:48:35 PM »
Interesting that some of you aren't enjoying the side quests. I'm generally liking them, and even loving some of them, but there's definitely a lot of filler as well.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #468 on: December 22, 2020, 01:55:57 PM »
Interesting that some of you aren't enjoying the side quests. I'm generally liking them, and even loving some of them, but there's definitely a lot of filler as well.
I did read a couple of articles saying that it's much better to progress the main story a reasonable amount before getting too stuck in to side quests, so it's possible a lot of the early side quests aren't very interesting.

To be honest it just sounds a lot like The Witcher 3 in so many regards, just a different setting and combat style (and more customisation for your character). It feels like people were expecting something else.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #469 on: December 22, 2020, 01:56:36 PM »
I just wanna say it's really sad to see the game being thrown around like a punchingbag in social media. I'm not defending CDPR it's just a reflection from someone that's waited so long for the game.

I think that it seems the game has sold really well so I think if CDPR just focus on getting the game in a good state towards future content they might redeem themself. I mean i've played now for 50+ hours and enjoyed every minute of it including bugs so I hope most people can have the same experience at some point in the future.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2020, 02:05:13 PM »
The hype was so big that it was never going to become the game people thought it was going to be, coupled with the poor performance on xbox and ps 4 and features that were shown but didn't make the final cut got people really upset. I do think CDPR could've done much better but also there have been huge fuckups by other studios in the past and they recovered, for example fallout 76 was a hot, steaming pile of fallout trash on release.

In the end I think the gaming community needs to wait for reviews to see if the game lives up to the hype, but the chances of that happening are 0.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2020, 02:56:04 PM »
I don't really care about the companies but I do care about the developers, the people who bring us these great experiences. And it is sad to see that their passion project has become a big meme and possibly one of the most negative/worst launches of all time with all the shit going on.

There are some big difference with the likes of Fallout 76, Anthem and whatnot though, which may explain the scope of the backlash to some degree.
-Sales numbers. Cyberpunk's sales dwarf those other famous meme games. There were 8 million preorders alone (!). This game is in the upper tier of AAA games in terms of launch sales. Fallout 76, for example, managed like 1.4 million at the end of it's year. And many people knew it was going to be a mess to some degree.
-Expectations, partially set by CD project themselves with false marketing. The signs and expectations that Fallout 76 and some of the other shit AAA launches were going to be bad where there. CD Projekt really did all they could to maintain the image that it was going to be up to their standards. From only allowing reviews with high end selected footage to competely hiding the last gen versions.
-Their terrible PR/communication, towards everyone. CD projekt as a company screwed basically everyone in one way or another. The consumers, shareholders, the storefronts, their own devs, the journalists. They are getting shat on from all fronts. But in the end that is the managements own doing. Say what you will about the likes of EA, but they at least often keep certain groups happy, usually (the storefronts, their own developers and shareholders, for example).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #472 on: December 22, 2020, 05:20:04 PM »
*Cyberpunk Spoilers*

So I just completed the main story and as a completionist i'm annoyed I can't continue after the story but being forced to play from your last checkpoint. Meaning that you continue playing as you still have the last story mission left to do. Some may not care that much but that really irks me, greatly. I wanna feel that I completed the main story and then continue with my life since you are going back to earth, or atleast that's what I chose.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #473 on: December 22, 2020, 05:37:05 PM »
Just saw no joke 500 Serues X shipping out of the Wal Mart DC I work at today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #474 on: December 22, 2020, 06:20:27 PM »
The hype was so big that it was never going to become the game people thought it was going to be, coupled with the poor performance on xbox and ps 4 and features that were shown but didn't make the final cut got people really upset. I do think CDPR could've done much better but also there have been huge fuckups by other studios in the past and they recovered, for example fallout 76 was a hot, steaming pile of fallout trash on release.

In the end I think the gaming community needs to wait for reviews to see if the game lives up to the hype, but the chances of that happening are 0.

Agreed. I think a handful of people will never pre-order games again but the vast majority will continue to do so.

I don't really care about the companies but I do care about the developers, the people who bring us these great experiences. And it is sad to see that their passion project has become a big meme and possibly one of the most negative/worst launches of all time with all the shit going on.

There are some big difference with the likes of Fallout 76, Anthem and whatnot though, which may explain the scope of the backlash to some degree.
-Sales numbers. Cyberpunk's sales dwarf those other famous meme games. There were 8 million preorders alone (!). This game is in the upper tier of AAA games in terms of launch sales. Fallout 76, for example, managed like 1.4 million at the end of it's year. And many people knew it was going to be a mess to some degree.
-Expectations, partially set by CD project themselves with false marketing. The signs and expectations that Fallout 76 and some of the other shit AAA launches were going to be bad where there. CD Projekt really did all they could to maintain the image that it was going to be up to their standards. From only allowing reviews with high end selected footage to competely hiding the last gen versions.
-Their terrible PR/communication, towards everyone. CD projekt as a company screwed basically everyone in one way or another. The consumers, shareholders, the storefronts, their own devs, the journalists. They are getting shat on from all fronts. But in the end that is the managements own doing. Say what you will about the likes of EA, but they at least often keep certain groups happy, usually (the storefronts, their own developers and shareholders, for example).

Well said. It's a shame they couldn't just delay the game again and put it out when they were truly ready.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #475 on: December 23, 2020, 02:53:15 AM »
They had to have been pushed in some form to release it early. I mean they had a long dev time and they delayed the game a couple of times so why then just drop it in thst state?
Or maybe they just took a leap of faith to release it at christmas to get the most sales and not thinking the backlash to be that great.

Eitherway it's mostly about bad performance and bugs. Sure the game is not featuring everything they promised but it's still a great game and stuff can be added into the game later.
No Man's Sky is a diffrent game today than at launch.

Whatever you may think about it it's kind of the norm today with early access and so on.
*Patch the hell out of it for a couple of months after release to a functional state and then add missing/new content during a two year period while still constantly patch the game.*

I should say it's mostly a thing on PC atleast, I don't think console people have that "problem".

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #476 on: December 23, 2020, 09:01:42 AM »
They had to have been pushed in some form to release it early. I mean they had a long dev time and they delayed the game a couple of times so why then just drop it in thst state?
Or maybe they just took a leap of faith to release it at christmas to get the most sales and not thinking the backlash to be that great.

Eitherway it's mostly about bad performance and bugs. Sure the game is not featuring everything they promised but it's still a great game and stuff can be added into the game later.

Whatever you may think about it it's kind of the norm today with early access and so on.
*Patch the hell out of it for a couple of months after release to a functional state and then add missing/new content during a two year period while still constantly patch the game.*

I should say it's mostly a thing on PC atleast, I don't think console people have that "problem".

I never really followed the development of this game. I'll have to check out which features are missing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #477 on: December 23, 2020, 10:05:38 AM »

Sucks when people can't afford good Internet Connection speeds, and constantly spend their time just updating. Because these files tend to be huge. One guy I know who was a gamer and played mainly CoD games, is now considering ending his gaming days. Just because he has to constantly download and update.

That is the major problem I have with Modern Video Games, and exactly why I love my Switch, and I see it as a reason why the Switch is doing as good as it is. NO large download speeds, only small patch updates, usually DLC. the one game that I have to update, and the file size is usually kind of big, is Mortal Kombat.

IF it wasn't for this reason. I would gladly be playing online a lot more and would have those consoles.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: December 23, 2020, 10:30:11 AM »
COD is king of ridiculous game file size and updates.  It's so ridiculous, but I think that's probably the future of gaming as these games just keep getting bigger and bigger and since games constantly get updates these days, those updates also get bigger and bigger.  I'm no fan of these updates, but i think that's just the future of how these big games will be.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #479 on: December 23, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
Theoretically with the standard being fast SSD's, devs could make file sizes smaller because they don't need duplicate assets anymore. But for that the way games are made needs to change in a way. Furthermore, with the great success of a.i., it should be theoretically possible to ditch 4k or 8k textures and upscale them on the fly in the future. But for that devs will need to change their approach as well and a.i. probably needs to be refined further.

So yes for the coming years game file sizes will likely keep increasing. But Call of Duty is simply ridiculous.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #480 on: December 23, 2020, 07:53:00 PM »
Has anyone played the main quest in Cyberpunk 2077 called "Gimme Danger"? Fear Not. No Spoilers. I'm experiencing a bug that makes this mission a fucking stroll in the park. Wondering if anyone else has this same bug.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: December 23, 2020, 09:32:26 PM »
Has anyone played the main quest in Cyberpunk 2077 called "Gimme Danger"? Fear Not. No Spoilers. I'm experiencing a bug that makes this mission a fucking stroll in the park. Wondering if anyone else has this same bug.

I have that up next but won't be back to playing until Sunday

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #482 on: December 25, 2020, 08:09:51 AM »
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201224005214/en/EQUITY-ALERT-Rosen-Law-Firm-Files-Securities-Class-Action-Lawsuit-Against-CD-Projekt-S.A.-%E2%80%93-OTGLY-OTGLF

I just feel there's so much salt about this.

I don't know the full picture of course but if I had a guess it's usually something this:

1. A dev studio take their time with their game because they want to make the best game possible
2. Hype is building and investors gets anxious
3. Dev studio announces release date
4. Inverstors gets hyped
5. The game is delayed
6. Investors moan but understands kinda
7. The game is delayed again
8. Investors are sad and wants answers
9. Dev company releases statment: The game is done when it's done.
10. Investors nods oki but grumbles, hype continues
11. Game is delayed again
12. Investors cry and DEMAND answers, they want their investment and don't trust the studio anymore
13. The studio feels the pressure
14. They finally release the game and kinda hope for the best
15. The launch is a disaster, especially for one demographic of investors
16. Investors are furious and DEMAND refunds
17. Investors collectively sues the dev company because they released an unfinished product.
18. The dev studio whispers in silent: We told you so

I don't know, I just feel that's kinda what happens more and more these days. It's a neverending story.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #483 on: December 25, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »
Do they have a case?

I don't know, but it's a real problem with entitlement and demand. It sucks when you have the ones whom invested in your final product demanding it, fast and quick and right now with no bugs and problems at all, that is unrealistic in this current time. If these games were to take their time and be really developed like the olden days, it'll take years for some to patch the bugs for release. That's a very unfortunate part of this type of market.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #484 on: December 25, 2020, 09:45:38 AM »
I have no idea how these things work, but I would assume there was a mutually agreed-upon time frame for this game to be released. Can't really blame investors for wanting to cash in. That's the risk everyone takes when they have investors, methinks.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #485 on: December 25, 2020, 10:07:54 AM »
Do they have a case?

I don't know, but it's a real problem with entitlement and demand. It sucks when you have the ones whom invested in your final product demanding it, fast and quick and right now with no bugs and problems at all, that is unrealistic in this current time. If these games were to take their time and be really developed like the olden days, it'll take years for some to patch the bugs for release. That's a very unfortunate part of this type of market.
Yea that's the downside with developing high-end AAA-games, they're just so complicated to make these days. It's literally a pipedream to release a completly bugfree game and it's kinda accepted in some form because it's so common. I mean that's a weird product to sell when you think about it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #486 on: December 25, 2020, 12:25:53 PM »
Do they have a case?

Yea that's the downside with developing high-end AAA-games, they're just so complicated to make these days. It's literally a pipedream to release a completly bugfree game and it's kinda accepted in some form because it's so common. I mean that's a weird product to sell when you think about it.

Even the older games weren't completely bug free. They were known as glitches. And there are some pretty funny ones.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #487 on: December 26, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »

I completed that mission last week, and from what I recall, I didn't experience any notable bugs. Curious to hear what happened to you. :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #488 on: December 26, 2020, 04:22:48 PM »
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201224005214/en/EQUITY-ALERT-Rosen-Law-Firm-Files-Securities-Class-Action-Lawsuit-Against-CD-Projekt-S.A.-%E2%80%93-OTGLY-OTGLF

I don't know the full picture of course but if I had a guess it's usually something this:

1. A dev studio take their time with their game because they want to make the best game possible
4. Inverstors gets hyped
5. The game is delayed
12. Investors cry and DEMAND answers, they want their investment and don't trust the studio anymore
17. Investors collectively sues the dev company because they released an unfinished product.

I don't know, I just feel that's kinda what happens more and more these days. It's a neverending story.

There is a distinction between CDprojekt as a company and CDprojekt the development team. The claim is that the company mislead it's shareholders (and consumers), which is based on several of their remarks.

For example, in January this year CDprojekt stated that the game was complete and playable, which according to sources (aka devs) was a straight up lie (see recent Bloomberg article).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #489 on: December 26, 2020, 04:40:53 PM »

4. Inverstors gets hyped
5. The game is delayed

There is a distinction between CDprojekt as a company and CDprojekt the development team. The claim is that the company mislead it's shareholders (and consumers), which is based on several of their remarks.

For example, in January this year CDprojekt stated that the game was complete and playable, which according to sources (aka devs) was a straight up lie (see recent Bloomberg article).
There's probably alot of things we don't know about. Did they specifically said that it was playable on all systems? I can't access that article.