Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 166953 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #280 on: December 09, 2020, 01:17:00 AM »
Apparently there's a day1 patch that will cover most of the major bugs.

Haven't read any reviews yet since i've waited so long for this game I want to form my own opinion without clouding it. I also try to level my expectations as much as I can.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: December 09, 2020, 05:45:08 AM »
Got the game pre downloaded and my day cleared from 7pm. I've listened to a couple of reviews and they compared to the a release day Bethesda game. I expect bugs but with the Witcher 3 cdpr did a fantastic job of getting the game patched and in a much better state.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2020, 05:48:11 AM »
I'll admit I know nothing about this new Cyberpunk game I see so many people talking about. What about it has everyone so hyped up?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #283 on: December 09, 2020, 06:00:42 AM »
It looks cool and has Keanu Reeves in it!  :lol  Well, as it turns out, I was able to pre-order Cyberpunk on Amazon and get it the day of release as a Prime member.  I rule! :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: December 09, 2020, 06:46:57 AM »
I'll admit I know nothing about this new Cyberpunk game I see so many people talking about. What about it has everyone so hyped up?

It's the next big release form CD Projekt Red after Witcher 3 that has been in development for years and years. It's hyped beyond belief because of how long it's been in dev for and that CDPR has a great reputation with Witcher 2 and Witcher 3. When Keanu was announced that bought the collective gamer base to full orgasm.

I loved Witcher 3 so I'm pretty excited to play this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: December 09, 2020, 08:28:15 AM »
I'll try to get my predownload started tonight.  I think there's also a large day 1 update as well, not sure if thats part of the predownload though

I'm still a bit confused if this is the same patch some reviewers got or if it's an update to the patch they got.

There's been a lot of talk about how fucking buggy this game is. I think it's unfair to review it in its present state if the game will be updated by the time it officially releases. Games like The Witcher 3 & Skyrim were supposedly bug fests when they released but I played both of them right when they came out and I never encountered any serious issues. I'm not worried about playing Cyberpunk 2077 on release day  :metal

I always had bugs and sometimes game breaking bad bugs with the Bethesda games like Skyrim and Fallout, I never played The Witcher games.  I guess we will see.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #286 on: December 09, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »

I'm not quite sure what has people so hyped up for it. I haven't checked out all the previews and stuff because I want to experience everything for myself. I just think the game looks cool and I'm a big fan of open world games. Apparently, this game is supposed to be more of an RPG than the last big open world FPS/RPG was. I'm looking forward to playing it but I'm not super hyped.

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: December 09, 2020, 09:34:30 AM »
Very much looking forward to playing Cyberpunk 2077 on my PC although part of me wishes I'd upgraded my CPU (an 8700k) to go with my new graphics card. At the moment, the CPU is bottlenecking occasionally in MSFS, and I expect the same in parts of Cyberpunk 2077. I'm planning on getting a new PC built next year, though, to take advantage of fast loading capabilities that are on the way so didn't really want to spend any more money than I already have on the shiny GPU.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: December 09, 2020, 11:13:21 AM »
For those on nvidia cards the game ready driver has been released:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/cyberpunk-2077-game-ready-driver/

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #289 on: December 09, 2020, 12:04:59 PM »
I'm waiting for the waves of disappointment from dumb people thinking Cyberpunk is going to be like Grand Theft Auto or Open world Call of Duty. It's an RPG from top to bottom!  :rollin

At least I know I'm going to enjoy it! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #290 on: December 09, 2020, 12:08:20 PM »
I'm waiting for the waves of disappointment from dumb people thinking Cyberpunk is going to be like Grand Theft Auto or Open world Call of Duty. It's an RPG from top to bottom!  :rollin

At least I know I'm going to enjoy it! :metal

Yeah that's one of the few things I've heard about the game...it's an RPG first and foremost. That indicates combat situations can even be avoided most of the time. Reviews have already stated the shooting mechanics aren't amazing. As long combat is better than Fallout 4, I'll be satisfied.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #291 on: December 09, 2020, 12:12:15 PM »
My expectations are pretty low for Cyberpunk 2077, but I do hope I like it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: December 09, 2020, 12:13:33 PM »
My expectations are fairly high. But this is CDPR we are talking about. Since the original Witcher game they have never disappointed me. I see no reason they will now.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: December 09, 2020, 12:15:07 PM »

Got this installed just a few minutes ago. The day one patch was installed earlier this morning. I locked and loaded, ready to go! Just wish I could have got my hands on an RTX 3080 before the Cyberpunk release, but I guess my 2070 super will have to struggle through it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #294 on: December 09, 2020, 12:17:16 PM »

Got this installed just a few minutes ago. The day one patch was installed earlier this morning. I locked and loaded, ready to go! Just wish I could have got my hands on an RTX 3080 before the Cyberpunk release, but I guess my 2070 super will have to struggle through it.

So they're installing the Day 1 patch during pre-load? That's very cool. You can just fire up the game and play as soon as it releases  :metal

I admit I'm tempted to pre-order but I'm going to wait until the game officially comes out or maybe a little later. GoG shows it's coming out in 5 hours in Herrickland.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: December 09, 2020, 12:30:54 PM »

So they're installing the Day 1 patch during pre-load? That's very cool. You can just fire up the game and play as soon as it releases  :metal

I admit I'm tempted to pre-order but I'm going to wait until the game officially comes out or maybe a little later. GoG shows it's coming out in 5 hours in Herrickland.
To be honest, I'm not sure it's the Day 1 patch, but a 10 gig patch installed this morning, that I'm assuming was the day 1 patch. :dunno:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #296 on: December 09, 2020, 12:37:05 PM »

To be honest, I'm not sure it's the Day 1 patch, but a 10 gig patch installed this morning, that I'm assuming was the day 1 patch. :dunno:

I'm thinking it's the day 1 patch if the game is unlocking for you today. Then again I've read the day 1 patch was 40-something gigs. I don't know if the patch size is different for consoles and PC.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #297 on: December 09, 2020, 12:47:44 PM »
My expectations are fairly high. But this is CDPR we are talking about. Since the original Witcher game they have never disappointed me. I see no reason they will now.
I still need to go back to The Witcher 3... I've only played it for about 2 hours, maybe less. It's pretty good from what I remember, but it's been sitting on my backlog for a long time now, along with, like, 70 other games.
I've heard many great things about CDPR, and I'm not doubting the developers themselves; it's just that the more I see from Cyberpunk 2077, the less appealing it seems. But I guess I'll find out whether or not I enjoy it once I get my copy tomorrow.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: December 09, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »

Yea my 2080 is ready to get some use tonight. I was hoping to get a 3080 before release but it wasn't in the cards.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #299 on: December 09, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »
Yeah that's one of the few things I've heard about the game...it's an RPG first and foremost.
Wait, why would anyone think otherwise? Obviously it's an RPG, not just "first and foremost", but entirely.

That indicates combat situations can even be avoided most of the time. Reviews have already stated the shooting mechanics aren't amazing. As long combat is better than Fallout 4, I'll be satisfied.
Yeah definitely. Good gameplay is important of course, but in RPGs like this the priority (rightly, IMO) tends to be story, characters, exploration. I don't expect or need combat to be as slick as a FPS where that's pretty much all the game is. Same with the Fallout games. Similarly, the Witcher 3's combat wasn't as good as the best hack'n'slash adventure games, but it was good enough to be enjoyable and support the key story and RPG elements.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: December 09, 2020, 01:30:02 PM »
I'm just excited to try a new game out that looks cool.  I've got no problem with it being an RPG, I knew that, but it is open world and that world looks like a cool place to explore.  So I am willing to check it out and I expect to find it enjoyable. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #301 on: December 09, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »
Yeah that's one of the few things I've heard about the game...it's an RPG first and foremost.
Wait, why would anyone think otherwise? Obviously it's an RPG, not just "first and foremost", but entirely.

I'm not sure why they would think otherwise. They could be drawing their own conclusions from all the hype and preview footage, which I haven't paid much attention to. You know how fans and the people who put up these videos hype up all sorts of stuff. 

Yeah definitely. Good gameplay is important of course, but in RPGs like this the priority (rightly, IMO) tends to be story, characters, exploration. I don't expect or need combat to be as slick as a FPS where that's pretty much all the game is. Same with the Fallout games. Similarly, the Witcher 3's combat wasn't as good as the best hack'n'slash adventure games, but it was good enough to be enjoyable and support the key story and RPG elements.

Agreed with all that but I think some games get a pass by fans because "It's an RPG". I don't think that excuses shitty combat & stealth if those are also part of the game. I'm looking at the original Deus Ex and Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines and I love those two games. However, I think 1st & 3rd person RPGs with real time combat should be held to a higher standard. I don't expect Far Cry & Dark Souls level but...these "pure" RPGs are all about offering us a choice as to how we handle in-game situations and those choices should be fully fleshed out, methinks.

I thought The Witcher 3's combat was very good. I know a lot of people didn't like it but oh well. Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will deliver.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #302 on: December 09, 2020, 02:01:44 PM »
The two Ori games are on Nintendo Switch now. Kind of surreal to own a Switch game that says XBox Studios on the back of the case.  :lol I recommend them!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #303 on: December 09, 2020, 02:23:50 PM »

Yea my 2080 is ready to get some use tonight. I was hoping to get a 3080 before release but it wasn't in the cards.
I fully expect my rig to call in sick after the first session.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: December 09, 2020, 03:08:58 PM »

I fully expect my rig to call in sick after the first session.
:lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #305 on: December 10, 2020, 06:28:08 AM »
I can't believe I am actually playing cyberpunk  :lol

Looks very jank on the PS4. I'm curious how well decent the PS5 upgrade will look when its available. I'm sure it looks way better on PC. Still enjoying it though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 08:48:45 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #306 on: December 10, 2020, 06:45:19 AM »

Yeah mang  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: December 10, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
Played a few hours last night.  Was a scramble at 7pm waiting for the steam pushed update before you could play so it wasn't until about 7:40ish that I was in. 

Not overly impressed on first couple hours with some things.  I say this, because it mostly has felt like every single other open world RPG game.  Which doesn't mean it's bad, just nothing that blows me away or feels fresh.  Graphically, I'd say RDR2 looks better as well which isn't to say it looks bad at all, but also just not anything impressive which I thought this was supposed to be.  However, I am not playing on an RTX card so while everything is set on Ultra, it's still not the best graphical settings due to my hardware.  There were some small bugs and glitches as well but nothing game breaking and honestly, they were mostly funny (like a NPC walking right through my car).

Certainly can't say much more than that, it looks like it has a lot of potential.  The character build customization looks deep.  Gunplay feels kind of tough but then again, the gun upgrade paths looks like the way to make it easier so I can't judge that really just yet.  Driving is super sensitive, I've got to adjust to that and not just run over people  :lol

It honestly kind of feels like a GTA openworldness in a future setting but with Fallout RPG elements.  So even if I say it didn't blow me away so far, it's still looking like a really fun game.

And of course, while I was trying to stream this for the first time... I streamed my first hour without audio  :rollin This elgato capture card requires software on the gaming PC to route audio both through my gaming headset and to the card which I forgot to turn on.  I'll need to go through a check list or something when I start this up to not forget stuff like that.  Then once I fixed that, I then did the rest of the stream with my MIC not working  :lol that, I'm not sure what happened, I'll have to check out the settings when I get home from work.  I've had so many audio issues with setting this up and thought I finally fixed it all.  Regardless, I'll leave those videos up on my twitch.  I want to see if I can record my entire play through of it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #308 on: December 10, 2020, 09:09:58 AM »

Looks very jank on the PS4. I'm curious how well decent the PS5 upgrade will look when its available. I'm sure it looks way better on PC. Still enjoying it though.

Is that good or bad?  Do we want it to be jank or not?   :) :) :)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #309 on: December 10, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »
Herrick agrees with Cramx3 for the most part. I wasn't really expecting Cyberpunk 2077 to be mind blowing or anything so I'm not disappointed. I'm only 6 hours in.

Does anyone else have problems distinguishing enemies from the environment? Everything is kind of dark and they tend to blend in and I can't tell if they're in or out of cover after I've tagged them. I'll have to mess around with the brightness setting some more.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: December 10, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »
Herrick agrees with Cramx3 for the most part. I wasn't really expecting Cyberpunk 2077 to be mind blowing or anything so I'm not disappointed. I'm only 6 hours in.

Does anyone else have problems distinguishing enemies from the environment? Everything is kind of dark and they tend to blend in and I can't tell if they're in or out of cover after I've tagged them. I'll have to mess around with the brightness setting some more.

I hadn't had too many combat moments for this to be an issue yet, but it did seem the general darkness made things a bit harder to see when indoors.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #311 on: December 10, 2020, 02:00:54 PM »
For my part, I'm expecting good things but I expect those good things to be similar to the good things from The Witcher games, in terms of characters, narrative, world-building, RPG elements. I'm not expecting anything special in terms of combat, gameplay etc. because why would I? Those aren't the strength of games like this.

I think this is the problem with things getting overhyped, people build all sorts of expectations.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: December 10, 2020, 02:15:24 PM »
For my part, I'm expecting good things but I expect those good things to be similar to the good things from The Witcher games, in terms of characters, narrative, world-building, RPG elements. I'm not expecting anything special in terms of combat, gameplay etc. because why would I? Those aren't the strength of games like this.

I think this is the problem with things getting overhyped, people build all sorts of expectations.

And all that won't come until I play more.  For me, it was just my initial reaction.  I'm not disappointed at all.  I don't think you'll truly get the most out of any RPG until you actually get a good amount of hours in and see the progress of your character and story unfold.  I kind of kept my views associated to the things I actually am able to form some opinion on from a few hours of play which you are pretty much spot on with it likely coming from being overhyped.  Because even in this genre, when you overhype it, you do start to expect it to improve on those areas of gameplay because the genre could get some improvement there.  For example, I'd say this game looks better than Fallout 4 (I think that's the last RPG I played...) but doesn't look as good as RDR2 (the last openworld game I played), but because it's hyped as being some amazing graphical game, I kind of expected it to be a bit better.  Also, there could be future improvements to all this so day 1 feelings might mean nothing in a few months.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #313 on: December 10, 2020, 02:16:13 PM »

Is that good or bad?  Do we want it to be jank or not?   :) :) :)

Good that I'm playing it
Bad that its jank

It should have just been on PS5 and the latest gen hardware. Its too much for PS4 as far as I'm concerned, but still fun none the less.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #314 on: December 10, 2020, 02:47:29 PM »

Oh yeah the hype gets ridiculous. That's why I didn't consume too much preview stuff and I especially stayed away from comment sections with all their bullshit arguing and speculation. "A wretched hive of scum and villainy" if there ever was one.