Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 166802 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #245 on: December 02, 2020, 06:50:14 AM »
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ps5-and-xbox-series-x-scalpers-ruining-restocks-what-you-can-do-now

Somewhat ironically, these scalpers now seem to have more console stock than major retailers do. Business Insider reported one reseller got hold of 200 PS5 consoles and managed to sell more than $40,000 worth of consoles in a week, though they will need to sell more if they are to make a profit. But with some consoles going for $1,000 each that looks like a possibility.

And one reseller group called CrepChiefNotify has managed to gather 3,500 PS5 units to sell for hefty prices. And the group is advising other people to do the same and get into the reselling game, further pushing up the price of PS5 consoles.

How is that even possible? How does someone actually lock in an order like that? I'm assuming that guy didn't find 3500 individual PS5s and buy each one. How are they getting such bulk access?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #246 on: December 02, 2020, 08:14:47 AM »
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ps5-and-xbox-series-x-scalpers-ruining-restocks-what-you-can-do-now

Somewhat ironically, these scalpers now seem to have more console stock than major retailers do. Business Insider reported one reseller got hold of 200 PS5 consoles and managed to sell more than $40,000 worth of consoles in a week, though they will need to sell more if they are to make a profit. But with some consoles going for $1,000 each that looks like a possibility.

And one reseller group called CrepChiefNotify has managed to gather 3,500 PS5 units to sell for hefty prices. And the group is advising other people to do the same and get into the reselling game, further pushing up the price of PS5 consoles.

How is that even possible? How does someone actually lock in an order like that? I'm assuming that guy didn't find 3500 individual PS5s and buy each one. How are they getting such bulk access?

I watched a video about this on YT, and apparently these groups are using bots and software, to snatch these consoles as soon as new stock becomes available.

This is a worldwide problem.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: December 02, 2020, 11:33:53 AM »
And the sad part is people are actually paying the price which just further encourages it

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #248 on: December 02, 2020, 02:19:48 PM »
And the sad part is people are actually paying the price which just further encourages it

That is quite dumb, methinks.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: December 02, 2020, 05:41:34 PM »

Like 50 bucks over value, I could see people with the disposable income doing that.  But hundreds more?  These consoles don't even have games and optimization yet to truly make them worth it to pay over value by a significant % let alone at face value.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #250 on: December 02, 2020, 05:46:23 PM »

Like 50 bucks over value, I could see people with the disposable income doing that.  But hundreds more?  These consoles don't even have games and optimization yet to truly make them worth it to pay over value by a significant % let alone at face value.

I always wait five years or so until there are some good exclusives out.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #251 on: December 02, 2020, 06:03:41 PM »

I think this time around I might wait until the “pro” model comes out.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #252 on: December 02, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »

Do those usually come out half way through the console cycle? The last special console I bought was the PS2 Slim but I don't remember if it was more powerful than the regular PS2.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #253 on: December 02, 2020, 06:09:19 PM »

Do those usually come out half way through the console cycle? The last special console I bought was the PS2 Slim but I don't remember if it was more powerful than the regular PS2.

I think it was just about three years for both the PS3 and the PS4.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »

I think it was just about three years for both the PS3 and the PS4.

Damn. They should just release the Pro version in the beginning.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #255 on: December 03, 2020, 10:10:54 AM »
Pro versions only come out when they feel the technology is advanced enough to do so.  Same with the slim versions.  PS5 is huge right now, but in 2 or 3 years I'm sure a smaller version will become available.

It won't take nearly that long for good exclusives to come out on PS5.  :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #256 on: December 03, 2020, 10:14:00 AM »
Pro versions only come out when they feel the technology is advanced enough to do so.  Same with the slim versions.  PS5 is huge right now, but in 2 or 3 years I'm sure a smaller version will become available.

It won't take nearly that long for good exclusives to come out on PS5.  :justjen

True but it made Herrick feel nice & warm inside when I paid $20 for God of War & $20 for Horizon: Zero Dawn with the DLC included.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2020, 10:34:52 AM »
Gotta admit getting my PS4 over last year's holidays and being able to pick up giant titles for like $15 on average per game was fucking crazy, and that was after it came bundled with God of War, Horizon, and Last of Us.

Last of Us I just can't get into, though, but at least it was free. I think I'll just sell the game on ebay since it's the only physical PS4 game I have. Interesting narrative but the gameplay is fucking atrocious and boring as all get out.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #258 on: December 03, 2020, 10:36:55 AM »
Gotta admit getting my PS4 over last year's holidays and being able to pick up giant titles for like $15 on average per game was fucking crazy, and that was after it came bundled with God of War, Horizon, and Last of Us.

Last of Us I just can't get into, though, but at least it was free. I think I'll just sell the game on ebay since it's the only physical PS4 game I have. Interesting narrative but the gameplay is fucking atrocious and boring as all get out.

I didn't get into it either. I want to give it another shot though.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »

coincidentally I’m playing through Last Of Us again right now! I actually agree the gameplay isn’t all that great but the story and atmosphere is worth it, imo.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2020, 10:42:03 AM »

I wouldn't say the gameplay is terrible, but I don't think it's anything particularly good, and the difficulty is obnoxious in some areas, even on lower difficulties. That's generally a flaw I find with Naughty Dog games in general. I really liked Uncharted 4, but while I quite enjoyed the platforming, the combat was decent at best and frustrating at worst. Maybe it's my fault for playing on Normal instead of Easy, but I feel like their games are a little too difficult.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2020, 10:47:13 AM »
It's so obnoxious to me. It's a linear game, which, okay, makes sense with the narrative, but the shooting is clumsy. Having to craft items, especially healing items, is tedious. Scarcity of ammo and supplies is SUPER tedious. Combat is frustrating. The level design is not exciting. I think I will just settle for watching a supercut of the cutscenes because everything about the gameplay makes me frustrated. One of those games that is much better as an interactive book or movie than an actual game, I think. Like, I would totally suggest it to people, but not because I think it's a good GAME... you know?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2020, 10:55:12 AM »
I agree Naughty Dog aren't great when it comes to combat in their narrative games, but that's why I just play it on easy mode and honestly I have no problem with it. I also thought Last of Us 2 was much better on the gameplay front, definitely their best so far, so perhaps they are learning.

But story and character wise, they make such fantastic games. And that to me is what I like most - as long as I find the game playable, the story/setting is what I'm most interested in.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2020, 10:57:10 AM »
So you're saying you like it so much you'll buy my copy! Awesome!  :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2020, 10:59:04 AM »
So you're saying you like it so much you'll buy my copy! Awesome!  :lol
Why would I need your copy when I evidently already have it? :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2020, 05:49:34 PM »
Pro versions only come out when they feel the technology is advanced enough to do so. 
Or when they feel a sufficient amount time has passed so that enough people who bought the first version of the console will double dip.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2020, 08:35:00 PM »
Pro versions only come out when they feel the technology is advanced enough to do so. 
Or when they feel a sufficient amount time has passed so that enough people who bought the first version of the console will double dip.

Then they can release the fucking "definitive" editions of slightly older games  :tdwn

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #267 on: December 04, 2020, 09:28:32 AM »

Well, that's partially true, but not really the main reason.  I would say that's a lower percentage compared to attracting new customers that didn't buy the first version.

Then they can release the fucking "definitive" editions of slightly older games  :tdwn

The way I take it from your earlier post, you would rather wait and buy the cheaper definitive edition that includes DLC.  I don't see the problem there.

It's so obnoxious to me. It's a linear game, which, okay, makes sense with the narrative, but the shooting is clumsy. Having to craft items, especially healing items, is tedious. Scarcity of ammo and supplies is SUPER tedious. Combat is frustrating. The level design is not exciting. I think I will just settle for watching a supercut of the cutscenes because everything about the gameplay makes me frustrated. One of those games that is much better as an interactive book or movie than an actual game, I think. Like, I would totally suggest it to people, but not because I think it's a good GAME... you know?

It is a good game, but just not for everybody.  I had no problems with it whatsoever.  TLOU2 was even better.  Games like this that are more about the storytelling and atmosphere, I usually take the combat system with a grain of salt.  It could be better but it's still manageable.  I also liked crafting items.  It really wasn't as tedious as some other games I've played.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2020, 10:10:43 AM »
The way I take it from your earlier post, you would rather wait and buy the cheaper definitive edition that includes DLC.  I don't see the problem there.

I'm just tired of all these re-released games/enhanced versions in general, not necessarily the ones that come bundled with DLC. Some times the enhanced versions are free updates for those who already own the game, and other times the enhanced versions are full-priced, and the standard version disappears. This is more of a problem for PC games than consoles games I guess.

And there's no telling which games will get updates so waiting for the special edition isn't always feasible.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2020, 10:18:57 AM »
I genuinely think it is one of the most satisfying games to play, gameplaywise. The online mode is my favourite online game ever because of it. That was pure gameplay and was/is very popular because, well, it plays well for many folks. But I can totally understand this particular balance between stealth/action/item scarcity isn't for everyone. Still, high level TLOU is something to behold in my opinion, showing how dynamic and natural it's combat flow can be. I am not that good, but got pretty compenent to go knifes/bats/guns blazing on hard and come out victorious. And that is very intense, both in part 1 and 2.

For reference, I played most TLOU playthroughs on hard without listening mode and only used guns when needed (which is increasingly the case).

There are games which I consider top games of all time despite of the gameplay, but to me TLOU is not one of them (examples would be The Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 3, Yakuza 2 and especially Red Dead 2).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2020, 10:20:43 AM »
Red Dead 2 is one of the only games to make me full on cry. I get chills just thinking about some of the scenes later on in the game. In fact I'm listening to The Way It Is, Unshaken, and Cruel World right now and getting chills all over again. Cruel, cruel world...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2020, 01:20:57 PM »
The games that get me most emotional tend to be indie games that have a message or theme that just resonates with me on a deep and personal level. To the Moon and Finding Paradise very much so, Rakuen even more so.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »
Red Dead 2 is one of the only games to make me full on cry. I get chills just thinking about some of the scenes later on in the game. In fact I'm listening to The Way It Is, Unshaken, and Cruel World right now and getting chills all over again. Cruel, cruel world...

Hornsby or Tupac version?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2020, 01:33:09 PM »

Hornsby or Tupac version?

HAHA. Daniel Lanois. :) But the Hornsby song is one of my favorites.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: December 07, 2020, 10:21:31 AM »
Set up my stream PC over the weekend, and did some test streams yesterday.  The lighting is a little off, I might need one of those ring lights to keep it consistent, but *I think* the stream itself was pretty solid.  Hard to get legit criticism from my friends, but they said it looked/sounded fine.  The replay seems fine, but I'm still concerned about lag on live play.

Here's my first twitch clip: https://www.twitch.tv/cramx3/clip/CleanFantasticHamsterHeyGuys

I'm trying to have this all ready to go so I can stream a play through of Cyberpunk, and it seems like I'll be able to and also with the separate stream PC, I won't have to downgrade graphics or anything.  Actually getting like 120fps playing COD while streaming.

If I find this all to be fun, I may reach out to a friend to see if she will make me some twitch art and try to get something legit going with a stream schedule and gaming show or something.  I guess this is what I'm turning to for entertainment without concerts these days. 

Also, it seems I can both record at 1080p to my main PC, and stream at 720p from the stream PC so I can use that as a tool to keep twitch clips and also have original source files to continue to make youtube videos.  I'm pretty impressed so far that this idea of mine has become a reality, now it's just about execution and I'll admit, I'm not sure I can execute in a way to be engaging. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #275 on: December 08, 2020, 02:03:41 PM »
Cyberpunk pre-downloading now. Thursday can't come fast enough
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:21:43 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #276 on: December 08, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »
Dang!  It's amazing how distracted I can get with all the PS5 stuff going on.  Totally spaced off Cyberpunk.  Since I didn't pre-order, may have to wait an extra few days.  :-\

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: December 08, 2020, 02:34:34 PM »
I'll try to get my predownload started tonight.  I think there's also a large day 1 update as well, not sure if thats part of the predownload though

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #278 on: December 08, 2020, 03:00:05 PM »
I played TLOU on hard mode earlier this year, in preparation for TLOU2. I actually found it to be very satisfying. By contrast, I enjoyed the gameplay in TLOU2 less because there was so much more of it, to the point I felt it was becoming repetitive.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #279 on: December 08, 2020, 08:20:22 PM »
I'll try to get my predownload started tonight.  I think there's also a large day 1 update as well, not sure if thats part of the predownload though

I'm still a bit confused if this is the same patch some reviewers got or if it's an update to the patch they got.

There's been a lot of talk about how fucking buggy this game is. I think it's unfair to review it in its present state if the game will be updated by the time it officially releases. Games like The Witcher 3 & Skyrim were supposedly bug fests when they released but I played both of them right when they came out and I never encountered any serious issues. I'm not worried about playing Cyberpunk 2077 on release day  :metal