Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 166450 times)

krands85 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2020, 01:59:49 PM »
Question for the gamers here. Do you invert the X, Y axis for camera/look on your controller/mouse? Do ya'll think it might have something to do with our ages? I'm 59 and I literally can't play without inverting both axes.

I had to really dig back in my memory cause I know I've done it at least once, for piloting jet fighters in Just Cause 2.
Somehow anytime a game requires me to fly a plane; I have to invert, can't tell you why. But otherwise never.

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2020, 02:23:39 PM »
Question for the gamers here. Do you invert the X, Y axis for camera/look on your controller/mouse? Do ya'll think it might have something to do with our ages? I'm 59 and I literally can't play without inverting both axes.

I had to really dig back in my memory cause I know I've done it at least once, for piloting jet fighters in Just Cause 2.
Somehow anytime a game requires me to fly a plane; I have to invert, can't tell you why. But otherwise never.

Dude... you're right! I just realized in GTA 5 I have to have the inverted controls when flying the planes. Pull back to go up. But definitely not for shooting!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: November 19, 2020, 01:15:36 PM »
I just tried to get a PS5 on Walmart's website. They had a limited supply available at 3pm EST. I had the page cued up and refreshing. At 3:00:08 it allowed me to add one to my cart. I quickly tried to jump to checkout to buy it, but their website kept throwing errors. It took me 8 minutes to sign in, get my shipping and billing address input, and I was just starting to get my card information in when it popped up a box saying they were all out of stock.  >:( :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: November 19, 2020, 01:26:01 PM »
I just tried to get a PS5 on Walmart's website. They had a limited supply available at 3pm EST. I had the page cued up and refreshing. At 3:00:08 it allowed me to add one to my cart. I quickly tried to jump to checkout to buy it, but their website kept throwing errors. It took me 8 minutes to sign in, get my shipping and billing address input, and I was just starting to get my card information in when it popped up a box saying they were all out of stock.  >:( :lol

I've heard so much about this experience  :lol 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #214 on: November 19, 2020, 03:14:09 PM »
That's why I finally decided to go ahead with the PS5 pre-order directly from Sony.  Otherwise, probably couldn't get one until sometime after the Holidays.  Glad I did because I'm really happy with it.  Syncs up nicely with my PS4.  I can use the same external HDD and play my PS4 games from that.  Download times are crazy fast connected to my Panoramic 5G WiFi network.  So many other things I haven't discovered yet, but this console is a beast.  The only drawback at this point is the cost off external SSD memory.  For 2TB of memory, it'll be anywhere from $250 to $300.  Not cheap, but the price will go down eventually in time.  I'll hold out on that for as long as I can.  I highly recommend getting a PS5.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #215 on: November 19, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »
That's why I finally decided to go ahead with the PS5 pre-order directly from Sony.  Otherwise, probably couldn't get one until sometime after the Holidays.  Glad I did because I'm really happy with it.  Syncs up nicely with my PS4.  I can use the same external HDD and play my PS4 games from that.  Download times are crazy fast connected to my Panoramic 5G WiFi network.  So many other things I haven't discovered yet, but this console is a beast.  The only drawback at this point is the cost off external SSD memory.  For 2TB of memory, it'll be anywhere from $250 to $300.  Not cheap, but the price will go down eventually in time.  I'll hold out on that for as long as I can.  I highly recommend getting a PS5.  :tup

You know whats cool...

I can get myself a ps4 again, and then later on get a ps5 and still play the ps4 games on the ps5.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ErHaO

« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2020, 02:37:13 AM »

You can always try transferring PS5 games to your external HD and see how long the transfer is, I believe that will be much quicker than downloading still. And you can play PS4 games from an external drive still, with all the pro/PS5 enhancements except faster load times.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2020, 11:49:53 AM »

You can always try transferring PS5 games to your external HD and see how long the transfer is, I believe that will be much quicker than downloading still. And you can play PS4 games from an external drive still, with all the pro/PS5 enhancements except faster load times.

Yeah, that’ll work out good from a storage standpoint until I run out of internal SSD which provides the fastest in-game load times.  For me, that’s even more important than storage space.  But they do compliment each other in the long run.  It’s just a matter of how much I wanna spend right now as opposed to 6 months from now when SSD memory is cheaper and I actually need it.  Good for now.  Game on!  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2020, 11:02:13 PM »
Well I randomly got into a game of call of duty warzone with 3 dudes in the same room in Michigan who happen to also be big DT fans  :rollin https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1330388543206731776

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #219 on: November 23, 2020, 06:16:51 PM »
Anybody have any idea when PS5's will actually be available to buy at normal prices? I see the $1000+ prices on ebay but there's no way that's happening.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2020, 06:20:23 PM »
Anybody have any idea when PS5's will actually be available to buy at normal prices? I see the $1000+ prices on ebay but there's no way that's happening.
I read an article today which basically boiled down to Sony saying their stock of PS5's have dwindled down to nothing. Not sure when they will have some in a significant quantity. My guess is late January... Same for new video cards and cpu's.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2020, 08:23:31 PM »
So I just finished Control and I really enjoyed it. I still have a few side missions left but what really shocked me was the music played during the credits was Porcupine Tree.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #222 on: November 24, 2020, 01:07:41 AM »
I read an article today which basically boiled down to Sony saying their stock of PS5's have dwindled down to nothing. Not sure when they will have some in a significant quantity. My guess is late January... Same for new video cards and cpu's.

Here in The Netherlands it for sure will take longer. Even the PS4 took longer than just a couple of months I recall. The main game stores already have reservations expected to arrive in late March and some stopped their reservation lists. It is so bad that some stores have disclaimers asking people stop calling/asking for a PS5 because they don't know. I have never seen that for any product.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #223 on: November 24, 2020, 08:29:29 AM »

Until you can regularly walk into a store and buy one, there's going to be premiums for a while. They're extra high right now though because of the holiday. I was reading that we won't see another bulk shipment until some time in January, and I think many of those are already spoken for.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #224 on: November 24, 2020, 08:33:04 AM »
Bought Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity on Sunday. Still very early on. As someone who's 100%ed Breath of the Wild 3 times, has it as his very favorite game of all time, and wanted the new Hyrule Warriors to be more of its own thing... I couldn't be happier. The menus, design, literally everything is like Breath of the Wild, but what if you made it a musou game (instead of making a musou game and slapping a Zelda skin on it, which was the first Hyrule Warriors). It even controls like Breath of the Wild. I am gobsmacked at how I got exactly what I wanted, other than what I fear is a very limited roster, but I really hope it gets DLC like the first did and a lot more characters come in the future.

In fact, it's kept me from playing Ark with my buddies on their new Xboxes. Oops  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2020, 08:17:30 PM »
Started playing Cities: Skylines again. I forgot how much RAM this game can eat up with mods. It will happily take all 32gigs of RAM.... :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: November 27, 2020, 05:55:55 AM »
I started up Assassins' Creed: Valhalla yesterday. My virgin AC voyage. It will take me awhile to get used to the combat, so that I don't get blown up at every turn. I think I might enjoy the exploration the most.

My question for you AC players out there. Do the dialogs ever get any shorter? I get having the opening sequence be extended, to bring the player up to speed with the story, and all. But, by Thor's balls, one dialog for a side mission to retrieve a woman's comb took fifteen minutes! I came here to crack skulls with axes not to have mine cracked with verbiage.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2020, 06:42:10 AM »
Started playing Cities: Skylines again. I forgot how much RAM this game can eat up with mods. It will happily take all 32gigs of RAM.... :lol

Do you have any of DLC, if so how do you like it?

Online ErHaO

« Reply #228 on: November 27, 2020, 07:06:02 AM »
Bought Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity on Sunday. Still very early on. As someone who's 100%ed Breath of the Wild 3 times, has it as his very favorite game of all time, and wanted the new Hyrule Warriors to be more of its own thing... I couldn't be happier. The menus, design, literally everything is like Breath of the Wild, but what if you made it a musou game (instead of making a musou game and slapping a Zelda skin on it, which was the first Hyrule Warriors). It even controls like Breath of the Wild. I am gobsmacked at how I got exactly what I wanted, other than what I fear is a very limited roster, but I really hope it gets DLC like the first did and a lot more characters come in the future.

In fact, it's kept me from playing Ark with my buddies on their new Xboxes. Oops  :lol

Sounds nice, I am much more inclined to buy a Warriors title when it is an actual entry in a series, rather than another Warriors fanservice game like so many.

I would be very glad if Nintendo continued this approach for Warriors games, perhaps even for other ip's than Zelda and Fire Emblem.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2020, 08:32:02 AM »
So I just finished Control and I really enjoyed it. I still have a few side missions left but what really shocked me was the music played during the credits was Porcupine Tree.

Control was very good. I really liked the atmosphere and the overall feel of the game: creepy but not scary. I wasn't expecting a whole lot because I really did not enjoy Quantum Break or its story. I didn't really understand what was going on in Control but I enjoyed the weird story. The powers were a lot of fun to use and the shooting had a great feel to it. I'd play through this game again, perhaps when all the extra story DLC stuff comes out.

The map could've been a lot better. There's no indication where those locked doors are but I did so much back tracking that I think I found all the locked doors as I acquired the security passes...not that there was anything really interesting behind those doors anyway.

I really hated that one boss that punches holes in the goddamn ground. And I really hated having to run back to try again like Dark Souls. The second to last mob wave fight was really frustrating too until I read people were cheesing it by activating the mobs, fleeing to a previously cleared area, then sniping them with Pierce. That method worked on my first try  :rollin

The Porcupine Tree song was a surprise. A good one! I also liked the song that was played in the maze.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #230 on: November 27, 2020, 09:26:13 AM »

I did the same thing and I am enjoying it immensely. I'm doing it on Normal first. I like how you have to look around for Crates, and use Magnesis for the buried metal chests. Also, I was like "Yay, we have to find Koroks too..."  :\  :lol

My favorite characters to use are Impa and Revali, that I got so far.  :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: November 27, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »

Do you have any of DLC, if so how do you like it?
I have all the major DLC that actually adds content....none of that "radio station" crap. I love the game, had it since it first came out and decided to grab the last few DLC that I didn't have for the black friday sales.

It's probably the best city building game out there, especially with a few mods to fix the few annoyances in the game.

Then again, Ostriv will probably be my favorite city building game once it's fully released, but it's more in the style of Banished.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2020, 08:33:08 AM »

Control was very good. I really liked the atmosphere and the overall feel of the game: creepy but not scary. I wasn't expecting a whole lot because I really did not enjoy Quantum Break or its story. I didn't really understand what was going on in Control but I enjoyed the weird story. The powers were a lot of fun to use and the shooting had a great feel to it. I'd play through this game again, perhaps when all the extra story DLC stuff comes out.

The map could've been a lot better. There's no indication where those locked doors are but I did so much back tracking that I think I found all the locked doors as I acquired the security passes...not that there was anything really interesting behind those doors anyway.

I really hated that one boss that punches holes in the goddamn ground. And I really hated having to run back to try again like Dark Souls. The second to last mob wave fight was really frustrating too until I read people were cheesing it by activating the mobs, fleeing to a previously cleared area, then sniping them with Pierce. That method worked on my first try  :rollin

The Porcupine Tree song was a surprise. A good one! I also liked the song that was played in the maze.

That was my most hated boss as well, you got to him through the refrigerator object of power. I didn't like the back tracking either and the map was useless. I read a tip online that helped a lot which was to use the directional signs in the game, once I started doing that I almost never used the map.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2020, 08:42:40 AM »

That was my most hated boss as well, you got to him through the refrigerator object of power. I didn't like the back tracking either and the map was useless. I read a tip online that helped a lot which was to use the directional signs in the game, once I started doing that I almost never used the map.

Oh yes, those signs were much more helpful than the map!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2020, 09:18:09 AM »

Oh yes, those signs were much more helpful than the map!

I would laugh my ass off, if the developers made the map useless in order for the player to realize and have to actually pay attention within the game and follow the signs within the game. Almost as if you are actually the character. And the Map, is actually what the character sees, in turn it's useless.  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2020, 05:42:47 AM »
Has anyone else here been playing AC Valhalla? Maybe it's because I just came off playing Ghost of Tsushima, but damn the combat feels floaty. I appreciate that more elements are tossed into the combat, with stamina and different move sets depending on the weapon, but, you'll get an R3 prompt and I swear the lag between when you respond and when you execute the move is a full second. Maybe more.

Is this normal for AC games? I've never played one before.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2020, 06:09:29 AM »
Floaty seems about right for an AC game. I haven't played Valhall but I found Odyssey to have imprecise combat.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
Just saw this really cool video on the history of the FPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGaTBZ51YDM&feature=emb_title

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2020, 08:33:30 AM »
Has anyone else here been playing AC Valhalla? Maybe it's because I just came off playing Ghost of Tsushima, but damn the combat feels floaty. I appreciate that more elements are tossed into the combat, with stamina and different move sets depending on the weapon, but, you'll get an R3 prompt and I swear the lag between when you respond and when you execute the move is a full second. Maybe more.

I haven't played it yet. I don't know about the lag but from what I've seen of the preview stuff, the combat didn't look like it felt very solid.

Online ErHaO

« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »
So my end of the year bonus was way higher than I anticipated, allowing me to invest in a good 4k television. I opted for the LG CX 55 inch, with a three year store warranty on top of it for panel issues. Goddamn, good HDR adds a whole new layer to some titles. Ori Will of the Whisps is breathtaking and Doom Eternal looks amazing using the Series X. For some reason Monster Hunter World looks ugly as hell though, despite being One X enhanced. And I think Detroit on the PS4pro with HDR is the best looking game I have seen, damn. Unfortunately my PS4pro now needs a repair (warranty issue, thankfully), so I won't be able to check out more of the Sony games anytime soon.

1080p Switch games look pretty clean as well and SDR content looks good on this TV. Anything under 1080p though, does suffer.

I have ways enjoyed AC combat, in any entry. But perhaps with the exception of Origins, there has always been a certain amount of jankiness in all of their combat systems. Haven't played Valhalla though.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2020, 09:04:50 PM »

In my early days of PC gaming in the mid 1990s when I was in my mid teens, I do remember having to change the axis on some games...but I have not done this in a very very long time. Either they're already inverted, or I got used to whatever the default set up is these days. Or perhaps not. Herrick is 39.

You know what...I'm gonna test this out right now. Hode'on. All right in No Man's Sky, flight controls (Y Axis) are inverted. Camera controls are not. I don't remember if that's how I chose it but that's what feels normal for me. I suspect inverted flight controls are the default in every game but I don't play many games that have flying vehicles.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: December 01, 2020, 05:44:08 AM »

I have ways enjoyed AC combat, in any entry. But perhaps with the exception of Origins, there has always been a certain amount of jankiness in all of their combat systems. Haven't played Valhalla though.

I keep getting the feeling that I could enjoy the combat if it were tightened up, but the disconnect between the character action and the player pressing buttons is confusing. What does the game actually want from me? In many cases it feels like it wants you to slow down and approach combat strategically. Space out your button activation, time your presses at the end of each attack animation to get a fluid combo. The next it teaches you to spam dodge or parry buttons for survival. I don't care what philosophy the devs pick, I just want it to be consistent. Collision detection could be better too.

Much the same can be said for climbing/parkour. Holding down the button while you move sometimes creates smooth and satisfying game play, other times you just get stuck, so you have to spam the button.

I don't know, it's not as bad as my posts would suggest. I am enjoying some aspects of the combat, and the story is okay, but I would suggest that if Ubisoft wanted to make and action RPG, they should have just done it. This hybrid of walking the line between a full on RPG and an action RPG seems a little off. Oh, and for god sake get rid of the Animus stuff already.  :lol

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #242 on: December 01, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »
So my end of the year bonus was way higher than I anticipated, allowing me to invest in a good 4k television. I opted for the LG CX 55 inch, with a three year store warranty on top of it for panel issues. Goddamn, good HDR adds a whole new layer to some titles. Ori Will of the Whisps is breathtaking and Doom Eternal looks amazing using the Series X. For some reason Monster Hunter World looks ugly as hell though, despite being One X enhanced. And I think Detroit on the PS4pro with HDR is the best looking game I have seen, damn. Unfortunately my PS4pro now needs a repair (warranty issue, thankfully), so I won't be able to check out more of the Sony games anytime soon.

1080p Switch games look pretty clean as well and SDR content looks good on this TV. Anything under 1080p though, does suffer.

I got that exact model tv back in september and I love it.  Although there LOTS of settings and I feel like I’m only now starting to get a handle on everything it does.  Many hours of youtube wayching Vincent teoh’s channel HDTVTEST

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #243 on: December 01, 2020, 03:41:43 PM »

Here in The Netherlands it for sure will take longer. Even the PS4 took longer than just a couple of months I recall. The main game stores already have reservations expected to arrive in late March and some stopped their reservation lists. It is so bad that some stores have disclaimers asking people stop calling/asking for a PS5 because they don't know. I have never seen that for any product.

Well, I don't know how they can tell people to stop asking.  That's what consumers do. LOL.  My guess at this point is that Sony will be ramping up their production over the next 6 months because that is when they typically do a price drop.  Although, the demand for PS5's is probably higher than any of its predecessors, so the price drop may not happen for another year.  Plus, there aren't a lot of exclusive titles to choose from right now anyway.  I'm still playing a lot of my PS4 games on the PS5.  Good things will come to those who wait.  ;)

Online ErHaO

« Reply #244 on: December 02, 2020, 05:44:40 AM »

Well, I don't know how they can tell people to stop asking.  That's what consumers do. LOL.  My guess at this point is that Sony will be ramping up their production over the next 6 months because that is when they typically do a price drop.  Although, the demand for PS5's is probably higher than any of its predecessors, so the price drop may not happen for another year.  Plus, there aren't a lot of exclusive titles to choose from right now anyway.  I'm still playing a lot of my PS4 games on the PS5.  Good things will come to those who wait.  ;)

Well, it is more of a request/PSA, but most stores that sell it have disclaimers now.

And PS4 games are still damn fine I'd say. Nothing I played on my Series X yet comes close to Detroid or The Last of Us part 2 in HDR on the PS4pro.

I got that exact model tv back in september and I love it.  Although there LOTS of settings and I feel like I’m only now starting to get a handle on everything it does.  Many hours of youtube wayching Vincent teoh’s channel HDTVTEST

It's great, and due to my behaviour I don't expect any significant burn in long term (I vary content a lot and games are pretty much the only thing with a static hud). I also mostly play in a dark room with oled lights set pretty low.

Other than that it also depend on the panel I think, I have two AMOLED phones that I use(d) pretty much identically and one already had some burn in after a year and the other looks as clean as it did two years prior. But even on the burned one normal content still looks great.