Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 160930 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2020, 06:00:53 AM »
I've been going back and forth about getting a PS5. Still can't make up my mind. Can you play games with a mouse and keyboard (and map the keys) on the consoles?

Not that I know of. I've seen a few hacks for the PS4 that seemed to have worked. Not sure if that would work for PS5.

Honestly, it's probably better to just get used to a controller. I remember thinking I never would, but now I prefer it. Keep in mind, I don't typically play FPS, though.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #176 on: November 13, 2020, 07:19:05 AM »
Maybe I haven't been paying attention enough but why does it feel like this new gen. console launch feels very bland and kinda empty?

At this time during previous console launches the hype was through the roof with massive next gen titles.

I don't know, I think Demon's Souls remake looks amazing, best looking Souls game by far in terms of shiny new visuals. And I read on many places it's sound design is a step beyond last gen as well, due to 3D Tempest audio (the PS5 has propiertary hardware for that). Spider-Man Miles with ray-tracing is also a significant step up, looking at Digital Foundry's analysis. Astrobot turned out to be a great platformer showcasing new controller tech, supposedly it really feels like a next gen controller, unlike HD rumble. I think Sony has a great launch line-up and window. In 2021 we are likely looking at at least Gran Turismo, God of War 2, Ratchet and Clack and Horizon 2. I think on Sony's side it is a much better launch window lineup than the PS2, PS3 and PS4. Because really, what titles did those have?

I think a large difference is that usually there were already mass hands-on events (gameshows, platformholder events, trips for the media, demo booths in major towns/stores etc.). This time most coverage comes from a bunch of youtubers sitting at home.

The Xbox doesn't really have anything. To be honest I think that Halo studio needs a major reform if that Infinite footage is all they came up with after so many years. And the fact that the title has been delayed without release in sight, while the game is on the actual box of the Xbox, makes me think that the development of that title has been a total shitshow. I will say that MS should've delayed Gears Tactics on PC and marketed it as a Series X launch title. It is actually pretty fun, looks good and scored in the low 80's. And a series X Flight Simulator release perhaps would've been nice (it has been confirmed that it is coming).

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2020, 07:26:00 AM »
Out of the two, PS5 definitely has more stuff that I am interested in, but I still think it will be a year or two before I invest.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2020, 07:27:30 AM »
I've been going back and forth about getting a PS5. Still can't make up my mind. Can you play games with a mouse and keyboard (and map the keys) on the consoles?

Yes, you can set up a keyboard and mouse in the Accessories menu on the PS5.  You can also link other devices (PS4, PC, MAC, IOS) to the PS5 through the Remote Play feature.  Not 100% sure about mapping keys, but I would imagine you can if a keyboard is registered.  I think I saw a menu option regarding mapping.  Honestly, I don't think there is much you can't do with this console.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: November 13, 2020, 09:33:36 AM »
Well I caved and bought COD Cold War.  I guess I just want to play the campaign and have the multiplayer to fine tune my skills for warzone.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2020, 09:37:58 AM »
Let us know how you like the single player. This is the first COD single player I've been interested in for a while.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2020, 10:25:09 AM »
Maybe I haven't been paying attention enough but why does it feel like this new gen. console launch feels very bland and kinda empty?

At this time during previous console launches the hype was through the roof with massive next gen titles.
I feel the same way. There aren't any impressive launch titles, imo.
I dunno, launch titles are never that impressive really. https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/how-do-the-ps5-launch-titles-compare-to-ps4-ps3-ps2-and-playstation/

I think covid is the main factor this time. Firstly, you don't have the big in-person events, you don't have people queuing up overnight at stores to get in first, so there's less hype. Secondly, some games have had to be delayed, so while in terms of quality the launch titles are pretty comparable with previous generations, there are fewer of them.
Yea the lack of events is definitely a big reason. I'm not planning on getting a console anytime soon but it's interesting to see the upcoming titles.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2020, 10:28:52 AM »

I feel the same way. There aren't any impressive launch titles, imo.
I dunno, launch titles are never that impressive really. https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/how-do-the-ps5-launch-titles-compare-to-ps4-ps3-ps2-and-playstation/

I think covid is the main factor this time. Firstly, you don't have the big in-person events, you don't have people queuing up overnight at stores to get in first, so there's less hype. Secondly, some games have had to be delayed, so while in terms of quality the launch titles are pretty comparable with previous generations, there are fewer of them.
Yea the lack of events is definitely a big reason. I'm not planning on getting a console anytime soon but it's interesting to see the upcoming titles.

I also just think the leaps between console generations is smaller each time.  While I'm sure these new consoles outperform and look amazing compared to last gen, it's just not the same as going from 32bit to 64bit gaming like the old days. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2020, 10:30:59 AM »
Nintendo is pretty good at having something killer to play at launch. Almost always a Mario or Zelda title. Every time I've snagged a Ninty system I have something fun to play right away.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2020, 10:34:33 AM »
Nintendo is pretty good at having something killer to play at launch. Almost always a Mario or Zelda title. Every time I've snagged a Ninty system I have something fun to play right away.

Nintendo's ecosystem works well for that. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2020, 01:52:12 PM »

I don't know, I think Demon's Souls remake looks amazing, best looking Souls game by far in terms of shiny new visuals. And I read on many places it's sound design is a step beyond last gen as well, due to 3D Tempest audio (the PS5 has propiertary hardware for that). Spider-Man Miles with ray-tracing is also a significant step up, looking at Digital Foundry's analysis. Astrobot turned out to be a great platformer showcasing new controller tech, supposedly it really feels like a next gen controller, unlike HD rumble. I think Sony has a great launch line-up and window. In 2021 we are likely looking at at least Gran Turismo, God of War 2, Ratchet and Clack and Horizon 2. I think on Sony's side it is a much better launch window lineup than the PS2, PS3 and PS4. Because really, what titles did those have?

True.  I don't think Sony ever really needed bigtime titles at next-gen launches because everyone knew that the exclusive releases were gonna be worth the wait anyway.  They were mostly just happy to get the new console.  I have Demon's Souls and it does look really good and my TV isn't even QLED, 4k or UHD.  The new DualSense controllers are amazing.  It's like having surround sound in the palm of your hands.  Even the way they designed the console itself is ground breaking.  It has a base that can be attached for vertical and horizontal configuration.  Horizontally, no part of the console is touching any surface and it's slightly elevated by the base so air can travel underneath for even more heat dissipation.  It really is a very unique design.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #186 on: November 14, 2020, 03:54:42 PM »
Has anyone played Assassin's Creed Valhalla yet? I watched a couple reviews and the combat doesn't look all that great. I really wasn't a fan of the combat in Odyssey's bullet sponge enemies.

I've been playing Death Stranding and oddly enough, I'm enjoying it. I really didn't expect to enjoy it. I'm not sure if I'll finish it though. I can see myself eventually getting burned out from the very repetitive gameplay.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #187 on: November 14, 2020, 10:20:09 PM »
Has anyone played Assassin's Creed Valhalla yet? I watched a couple reviews and the combat doesn't look all that great. I really wasn't a fan of the combat in Odyssey's bullet sponge enemies.

I've been playing Death Stranding and oddly enough, I'm enjoying it. I really didn't expect to enjoy it. I'm not sure if I'll finish it though. I can see myself eventually getting burned out from the very repetitive gameplay.
Valhalla's combat is almost exactly like Odyssey's. The only exception is the enemies aren't quite as bullet spongey in Valhalla. They seem to have gotten rid of a lot of the grindy stuff from Odyssey and kept all the good parts. Mind you, there's still some grind, but not nearly as bad.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #188 on: November 14, 2020, 10:44:31 PM »

Valhalla's combat is almost exactly like Odyssey's. The only exception is the enemies aren't quite as bullet spongey in Valhalla. They seem to have gotten rid of a lot of the grindy stuff from Odyssey and kept all the good parts. Mind you, there's still some grind, but not nearly as bad.

Hmm...Hopefully the combat has a better feel to it...more impactful. Good to hear they got rid of The Grind. I also heard they got rid of the fucktons of junk armor and weapons.

I think they kept the great feature that was added to Odyssey that allowed us to swap weapon & armor visuals. I didn't like the ugly blinged out gangsta armor in Odyssey. It was really nice to be able to keep the look of basic armor with the higher stats of the pretty armor.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2020, 07:56:00 AM »
One of my biggest problems with Odyssey besides the insane loading times is the floatiness of the physics. Like... you'll stab an enemy and they'll go slip sliding 30 feet away with 7 midair cartwheels  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2020, 11:11:10 AM »
One of my biggest problems with Odyssey besides the insane loading times is the floatiness of the physics. Like... you'll stab an enemy and they'll go slip sliding 30 feet away with 7 midair cartwheels  :lol
Wait wut....

I don't remember this happening.....perhaps I'm misremembering...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2020, 11:15:29 AM »
Wait wut....

It sounds familiar but I'm not sure if I ever saw that bug.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #192 on: November 15, 2020, 12:00:39 PM »
I think Origins' combat felt more deliberate and that game also had more polish. Was kind of surprised as I played Odyssey first and it's prequel looks better and plays better. That said, I really enjoyed Odyssey.

I am hearing good things about Valhalla, but combat isn't really one of them.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: November 15, 2020, 12:11:11 PM »
I picked up Hades for Switch today. I've heard good things about it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2020, 12:36:20 PM »
Wait wut....

It sounds familiar but I'm not sure if I ever saw that bug.

It's not a bug, that's exactly how people react to being struck in Odyssey, the corpses go sliding like they have little weight and are on ice. You can make people flip wildly in the air if you hit them right. For such a detailed game the physics are surprisingly slipshod

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: November 15, 2020, 04:02:04 PM »
If there's still any survival horror fans here, I highly recommend a game called Visage, came out on PC and consoles a few days ago.
Remember P.T? I think this is what it would have felt like.
Easily the best thing since RE7, I may say it's even better.
I've been playing it in 30 minute increments then resorted to playing it with it's audio off and NPR on, to reduce the tension. Not proud of that  :loser:

Interesting.  Refresh my memory on what P.T. stands for?  ???

Playable Teaser: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.T._(video_game)

It was the proof of concept for Kojima's planned but ultimately cancelled Silent Hill game.

Yep, it was a big deal when Konami cut ties with Kojima and took the PT off the PS Store. For a while; if you had initially downloaded it, you can download it again even though it's not available for anybody else. So people were selling their PS accounts to others who wanna download the game for $100-$150.
Then Konami took away completely so the game only existed on playstations that already had it downloaded, so people were selling their PT-installed playstations on ebay and making good money, it was a clusterfuck  :lol

I am a fan of the Silent Hill series.  Hopefully Hideo will change his mind and consider releasing it on the next-gens.

He's working on a survival horror game right now! It won't be SH though cause he's not with Konami anymore, which also means he can't use the FOX engine for it which is a huge drag.

My favourite first person survival-horror is Alien Isolation. Very tense game as well. I think the unconvential way the Alien hunts you down in non-scripted fashion frustrated a lot of reviewers, but to me escaping it and confronting it was an absolute thrill and I got the hang of it. It is much more of a stealth game than a lot of other surival horror games, but that makes sense given the context. 

Isolation was great, I actually wanna go back and do a NG+ on it after I finish Visage and Broken Porcelain, it's a cake walk compared to Visage though.
It's hard to describe this, all these other games you're able to break away and get a minute where you can feel safe and catch your breath, hide somewhere maybe. In Visage it's constant tension, it's very rare when you can be somewhere where you're sure nothing can happen to you and even then you can't do it for long cause your sanity will decrease and you'll start seeing things that can and will kill you.

I thought "well then fuck it, I'll just pause the game for a minute whenever I'm on edge", the game doesn't let you pause immediately! You hit pause and you have to wait for a countdown of 3 seconds on the the screen until the game pauses, during which you're just standing there prone to anything. One time the light in the room -where I was standing in the game- went out during the countdown and I panicked and pressed the PS home button and exited the game heh

I'm much more "in tune" with the game mechanics/climate now so my wuss-level has dropped significantly. I'm in the final chapter and playing with the earplugs on and the lights off like I've always done with my survival horror games.
I'm not proud of how I was playing this game for a while though, for a couple of nights I actually watched walkthroughs of the next 10-20 minutes ahead of me just so I can calm down and know what to expect, this is very unusual for a guy who used to consider himself the survival horror O.G. since the late 90's haha
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2020, 02:55:08 PM »
Question for the gamers here. Do you invert the X, Y axis for camera/look on your controller/mouse? Do ya'll think it might have something to do with our ages? I'm 59 and I literally can't play without inverting both axes.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2020, 02:58:13 PM »
Question for the gamers here. Do you invert the X, Y axis for camera/look on your controller/mouse? Do ya'll think it might have something to do with our ages? I'm 59 and I literally can't play without inverting both axes.

I can't do inverted.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »

I can't do inverted.

Same

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2020, 03:34:07 PM »
Demon souls remake has got me all worked up. I doubt I'll even be able to find a PS5, but I might get one if one pops up.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2020, 03:35:26 PM »

I can't do inverted.

Same

Yeah, I don't play with inverted camera controls, either. I used to, but then I got so used to normal camera controls during my first playthrough of Xenoblade Chronicles that I've never used inverted camera controls since.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2020, 03:37:13 PM »
Speaking of inverted controls, I HATE when games ask for your preference but don't give you the chance to test them before confirming. That's what I love about Halo: CE's beginning, where you stand there and have to actually move the camera to see which setting is for you.

Online krands85

« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2020, 06:08:19 PM »
I've always inverted the Y-axis as far back as I remember, but not the X - I'm 35.

I found an article talking about it here: https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/feb/28/why-do-video-game-players-invert-the-controls

One of the suggestions is that in some cases it could be as simple as sticking to what the controls were on the first games you started to play - eg. it mentions people brought up on flight sim games, where Y would be inverted. I don't remember playing any of those, but interestingly it does mention Goldeneye as having Y inverted by default and that was one of my favourite and most played games as a kid. That may be just a coincidence, as I'd been gaming for a good few years before that came out, though I'm not sure how many games I played before that would have had look controls, as they tended to be simpler, with fixed cameras/2D side scrollers.

However, my friend who played as much Goldeneye as me always laughs when I invert the camera nowadays, so that hypothesis is probably only true in some cases!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2020, 06:29:13 PM »
Depends on the type of game. FPS? No. Flightsim/SpaceSim? Yes.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2020, 06:31:17 PM »
I invert the Y-axis but that's it.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2020, 08:30:12 PM »
I literally can't conceive as to why inverted X would be more logical.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2020, 06:17:10 AM »
I literally can't conceive as to why inverted X would be more logical.

Something sometimes goes wrong in my head when playing with only the Y-axis inverted. When aiming diagonally, two logics collide, sort of. If everything is inverted, it is easy for me to imagine a mirrored stick operating under the actual analog stick.

Anyways, my preference for almost everything is to not have anything inverted. Except for flying vehicles, there y-inverted makes more sense for me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2020, 10:10:17 AM »
Actually I'm fairly certain there have been a couple games in my life that I've inverted just the Y axis, but I can't remember what they were... but never a shooter, I think. Shooters are *always* normal. I think that comes from growing up with mouse and keyboard and inverting those is just bonkers to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2020, 10:35:29 AM »
I remember a few friends back in the day that would invert to play goldeneye, never understood that but guess back then, some people were used to gaming inverted.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2020, 01:43:33 PM »
So apparently Cyberpunk 2077 on the series X and PS5 are only upgraded PS4/Xbox One versions, with the "more robust" next generation patch coming out somewhere next year. Totally missed that news. It looks fine, but I am for sure buying other games until that patch arrived.