Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 166954 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1435 on: February 15, 2022, 04:06:20 PM »
I've beaten System Shock 2 but not the first one. The gameplay hasn't aged well for me.

There's a remake of the first game coming out. I don't think it has a release date yet.

And yeah Thief 1 & 2 are cool games. The third was all right. I have the 4th but I haven't beaten it. Something about that game just doesn't do it for Herrick.

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1436 on: February 15, 2022, 04:35:43 PM »
I've beaten System Shock 2 but not the first one. The gameplay hasn't aged well for me.

There's a remake of the first game coming out. I don't think it has a release date yet.

And yeah Thief 1 & 2 are cool games. The third was all right. I have the 4th but I haven't beaten it. Something about that game just doesn't do it for Herrick.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the System Shock remake. Rumor has it that it's coming out later this year. There's also a System Shock 2 enhanced edition coming as well.

I haven't played the original games in a very long time. So it will be interesting to go back after all these years.

Also in other news. CDPR has finally released patch 1.5 along with the next gen versions of Cyberpunk... I'm in the process of downloading the patch now. These changes better be ground breaking!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1437 on: February 15, 2022, 09:00:05 PM »
No buzz about Forbidden West? I’ve downloaded my Digital Deluxe version. 2 days and 1 hour before it unlocks!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1438 on: February 15, 2022, 09:06:39 PM »
No buzz about Forbidden West? I’ve downloaded my Digital Deluxe version. 2 days and 1 hour before it unlocks!  :lol

Come to think of it, I still need to finish Horizon Zero Dawn (it's been on my backlog for years). I'm having trouble getting into it, but I've made a good amount of progress over the time I have played it. Maybe next time I get back to it, I'll start to really enjoy it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1439 on: February 15, 2022, 09:15:54 PM »
I'm looking forward to it, but I'm waiting for the inevitable PC release.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1440 on: February 16, 2022, 02:35:41 AM »
I may opt for the PS4 version of Horizon, PS5 is still impossible to get. The Pro version looks fantastic and usually I get used to 30 fps in a couple of minutes of gameplay.

I am impressed with what I am seeing on the PS4pro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wFAKxvJpU4

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the System Shock remake. Rumor has it that it's coming out later this year. There's also a System Shock 2 enhanced edition coming as well.

I haven't played the original games in a very long time. So it will be interesting to go back after all these years.

Also in other news. CDPR has finally released patch 1.5 along with the next gen versions of Cyberpunk... I'm in the process of downloading the patch now. These changes better be ground breaking!

It seems to be in a good state, played a bit on the Series X yesterday. Can't see any difference with ray tracing mode vs performance, so I just put it on performance and the 60 fps seems stable.

I haven't played Cyberpunk before, I only watched a little bit of early gameplay at a friend's place, so almost everything is new to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1441 on: February 16, 2022, 05:38:56 AM »

Are all those PC only?   I played Thief long ago on PC, then played the PS3 version (which was absolutely IMMERSIVE.  I think I played it through like three or four times).    I wish these would come out on the console; it's just so much easier FOR ME to play them that way.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1442 on: February 16, 2022, 05:53:18 AM »

Are all those PC only?   I played Thief long ago on PC, then played the PS3 version (which was absolutely IMMERSIVE.  I think I played it through like three or four times).    I wish these would come out on the console; it's just so much easier FOR ME to play them that way.

The classic pc games are PC only. Perhaps some remasters and/or remakes will hit consoles though.

If you like games like Thief and Bioshock, I recommend Prey (the 2017 game, not the earlier one which is totally different) and the Dishonored titles (especially Dishonored 2).

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1443 on: February 16, 2022, 03:56:36 PM »
I second the Dishonored recommendation since I just replayed Dishonored and did the DLC for the first time. I've started Dishonored 2 and I'm having a blast mainly because the environments are so damn fun to move around in.

I think I'll go into Prey next after Death of the Outsider.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: February 16, 2022, 04:06:36 PM »
Dishonored and Dishonored 2 are two big faves here too. The game play is awesome whether you go ghost/stealth or high chaos slasher. I've replayed both several times just to see how the world and ending change depending on your choices. I've only ever played them on PC though. It might be fun to try with a controller on the PS5 now that I've gained some skill with it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: February 16, 2022, 10:43:58 PM »
I enjoyed Dishonored, and got about half way through 2 but it was a DNF. Believe I was playing it right around the time our second child was born, which shut down much of my free time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1446 on: February 18, 2022, 08:02:16 AM »
Picking up Horizon Forbidden West for the PS5 today. I've heard almost nothing but good things. Can't wait for a fun evening of gaming tonight. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1447 on: February 18, 2022, 08:12:55 AM »
I pre-ordered HFW on Amazon.  They are usually pretty good about delivery on day of release.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1448 on: February 18, 2022, 08:39:33 AM »
I played HFW for about an hour this morning. Much excitement was had!

I like how they decided to reacquaint the player with the controls, very clever.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1449 on: February 18, 2022, 12:18:01 PM »
Just bought myself a 180Hz monitor in a weekend sale. Now I just need a PC that can utilise it. :P
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online faizoff

« Reply #1450 on: February 18, 2022, 01:14:13 PM »
Just bought myself a 180Hz monitor in a weekend sale. Now I just need a PC that can utilise it. :P

Sweet! which model was that?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1451 on: February 18, 2022, 01:22:31 PM »
Lg 27GP850
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1452 on: February 18, 2022, 01:43:51 PM »
Very nice  :yarr

in COD news, season 2 of Vanguard started this week and I'm loving some of the new updates.  Adding the air balloons and changing the armor plating to follow Apex Legends lead may be stealing ideas but these are really nice additions to the game making it much more enjoyable.  The new Caldera map needed the balloons to make traversing the mountain island easier and the armor plating just makes sense.  Today they announced the anti-cheat is working and is continuing to be updated, I had noticed more cheaters lately and they acknowledged the cat and mouse game but they are doing a solid job IMO.  The game is so much more fun when I'm not getting beamed by a cheater. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1453 on: February 18, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
Atomic Heart - Official Release Window Trailer

I cannot wait for this, bring on the weirdness!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1454 on: February 18, 2022, 05:01:52 PM »
Very nice  :yarr

in COD news, season 2 of Vanguard started this week and I'm loving some of the new updates.  Adding the air balloons and changing the armor plating to follow Apex Legends lead may be stealing ideas but these are really nice additions to the game making it much more enjoyable.  The new Caldera map needed the balloons to make traversing the mountain island easier and the armor plating just makes sense.  Today they announced the anti-cheat is working and is continuing to be updated, I had noticed more cheaters lately and they acknowledged the cat and mouse game but they are doing a solid job IMO.  The game is so much more fun when I'm not getting beamed by a cheater.
Saw a video about Ricochet Anti-cheat and it's a pretty interesting approach they use by datamining players and if they find a cheater it will enforce that player to not do damage on other players.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1455 on: February 19, 2022, 10:02:06 PM »
Back home temporarily while my partner is doing her initial few runs trucking from Washington to Alaska. I might join her in a few weeks, but for now I decided to set up my PC again at my temporary home base and finally check out RDR2 on PC after spending a scary amount of time with the PS4 version. Ultrawide monitor and beefy rig being put to very good use. Holy shit this game never gets old and never stops being beautiful.  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1456 on: February 19, 2022, 10:30:34 PM »
Back home temporarily while my partner is doing her initial few runs trucking from Washington to Alaska. I might join her in a few weeks, but for now I decided to set up my PC again at my temporary home base and finally check out RDR2 on PC after spending a scary amount of time with the PS4 version. Ultrawide monitor and beefy rig being put to very good use. Holy shit this game never gets old and never stops being beautiful.  :metal

From an art design standpoint, it's still one of the best looking games ever.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: February 20, 2022, 05:33:09 AM »

Sounds good. Now get busy murdering and stacking bodies in the parlor! That shit isn't going to do itself.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1458 on: February 20, 2022, 07:34:59 AM »

Sounds good. Now get busy murdering and stacking bodies in the parlor! That shit isn't going to do itself.

I can't tell if you're joking or just know me well enough that you know that's EXACTLY how I play Red Dead!! Fuck with the bull, you get the horns, Mrs. Braithwaite!  :lol

Best part was that the burnt bodies and wallpaper stayed there through the upstairs cutscene, and Hosea literally had to step over them when we all came downstairs dragging Mrs. Braithwaite through the dozens of corpses of generations of her family. I think that's the most brutal thing I've ever done in a video game  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1459 on: February 21, 2022, 03:56:59 AM »
I think Cyberpunk 2077 is excellent overall thus far.

The performance mode on the PS5/Series X now runs and looks well. I have not run into many technical issues thus far, seems fairly in line with other complex open world titles.  The art direction is great and I love the world. One aspect that really does shine through for me is that even minor "gig" locations have stories surrounding them (clear visual identity, emails, dialouge between NPC's, V and Johnny reacting to stuff etc.). The world itself is also designed well. Core gameplay is good. Guns feel great and the visual destruction looks nice. On consoles I do recommend to alter the control sensitivity to make it more fluid. Cars feel good, but the game doesn't really make use of it all that much outside of transportation.

I know they tweaked a whole lot of things with patch 1.5, so I don't know about older builds. This game could never live up to the insane hype and launched in a terrible state. But as of now, I am having a blast playing it (mix between stealth and guns blazing).

Cyberpunk is not really a sandbox game. If you look at it like that and try to play it like GTA or Far Cry, it is subpar, but to me that is not at all the point of the game (just as much as The Witcher 3 is not Assassins Creed, for example).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1460 on: February 21, 2022, 04:33:07 AM »
I also installed CP2077 yesterday. The world did feel a bit more alive with NPC reacting to the world a bit more. However the whole thing with NPC going bezerk when you shot and driving over pedestrians is funny at times but at the same time a bit too much.

Whenever I walk around the city and looking around it's a pretty amazing world they buildt and it feels alive however I still whish more building's were enterable. I know it's a complicated thing to make but that's the thing that these big open world games always lack. It was same with GTAV. I wonder when that will become a reality.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: February 21, 2022, 06:16:07 AM »
I can't tell if you're joking or just know me well enough that you know that's EXACTLY how I play Red Dead!!

Both. I was referencing a PM conversation we had a couple years ago.  :biggrin:

I've been having a good time with Horizon Forbidden West, but I must admit, I think in many ways this game is more difficult in the early stages than Zero Dawn was. Three particular things I'm struggling with are situational awareness during combat, and hyper aggressive enemies, and spongy hit boxes.

I don't know if there is a way to modify FOV, but it seems to me the camera is unnecessarily zoomed in on Aloy, making combat with several simultaneous enemies very claustrophobic. Coming on the heels of the excellent combat in Ghost of Tsushima, it's even more glaring.

The game seems to be steering me toward stealth, because running in with bow blazing will instantly attract machines in a quarter-mile radius, and they are all hell-bent on being the first to stomp Aloy into pulp.  :lol  I wouldn't mind so much if they were a little easier to take down. Fucking Burrowers are no joke, and so jerky in their animations that it's difficult to target critical points.

The hit boxes are what frustrates me the most, though. I can dodge out of the way of the machine's attack, with their attack animation clearly missing Aloy by a foot or so and wham! You get thrown 10 meters and all your health vaporizes.

I know it sounds like I'm overly bitching, but it's more in the nature of I'm having difficulty adapting, not that the game is bad. When I get in a fight with a human, I keep trying to parry their attacks and just end up bringing up the weapon wheel.  :lol   Seriously, GoT spoiled me with it's fluid combat. I'll eventually get there.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1462 on: February 21, 2022, 08:25:59 AM »

I can't tell if you're joking or just know me well enough that you know that's EXACTLY how I play Red Dead!! Fuck with the bull, you get the horns, Mrs. Braithwaite!  :lol

Best part was that the burnt bodies and wallpaper stayed there through the upstairs cutscene, and Hosea literally had to step over them when we all came downstairs dragging Mrs. Braithwaite through the dozens of corpses of generations of her family. I think that's the most brutal thing I've ever done in a video game  :lol

I just finished up my first playthrough of RDR2 and Blood Feuds, Ancient and Modern is my favorite cinematic like mission I've ever played in a video game. The atmosphere, the music, that moment at the beginning when you realize the whole gang is going out was just something special.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1463 on: February 21, 2022, 11:33:24 AM »

I just finished up my first playthrough of RDR2 and Blood Feuds, Ancient and Modern is my favorite cinematic like mission I've ever played in a video game. The atmosphere, the music, that moment at the beginning when you realize the whole gang is going out was just something special.
Everything about RDR2 was damn near perfect! It's the closest to perfect blend of open world and storytelling in games so far.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1464 on: February 21, 2022, 11:35:39 AM »
RDR2 is one of my favorite games ever, and I hope Online gets its day.

This is my favorite pic I've taken in game:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1465 on: February 21, 2022, 11:43:04 AM »
RDR2 is one of my favorite games ever, and I hope Online gets its day.

This is my favorite pic I've taken in game:

Poor Bambi's mom....   :(

:neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1466 on: February 21, 2022, 02:07:35 PM »
Everything about RDR2 was damn near perfect! It's the closest to perfect blend of open world and storytelling in games so far.

I would have to agree and I had myself spoiled rotten coming off of The Witcher 3 right before it which I ended on a sad for it to be gone but ultimately good feeling. While it took awhile to get into the game I became so invested and couldn't put it down. Clearly I was the right audience for what Rockstar was trying to do because the end of Chapter 6 was like a knife to the heart. I'm glad I had the high honor/John ending but that last few minutes up onto the sunrise was stuck in my head for about a week. I was in a funk even through the entire epilogue. It was Arthur feebly pleading with Dutch that really got to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: February 21, 2022, 03:11:25 PM »

:lol

Reminds me of the viral GTA video of the blimp crashing into the Griffith Observatory (real life name, don't recall the in game name for the spot) and jumping right into a cut scene  :lol

and yes, stacking the burning bodies was always a fun RDR2 past time

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1468 on: February 21, 2022, 08:46:51 PM »
Now that it's been said that Elden Ring does not have annoying boss-runs, I'm starting to look forward to this game.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1469 on: February 21, 2022, 08:58:26 PM »
Now that it's been said that Elden Ring does not have annoying boss-runs, I'm starting to look forward to this game.
I'm still on the fence with this one. I don't enjoy games with the difficulty that the Souls games had, so I will wait for reviews.
aka Puppies_On_Acid