Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 160920 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1400 on: February 10, 2022, 03:32:40 AM »
I might get smacked for saying this, but I've really been enjoying Fallout 76 lately. As I understand it, it's a completely different game than it was at launch.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1401 on: February 10, 2022, 06:57:11 AM »
Was playing Doom 3 on Switch recently and it gave me a taste for some FPS action. I love the Mario stuff on Switch but have struggled to find things that appeal on it outside of their IPs. So picked up a Series S Xbox when i was isolated with covid. The last Xbox we had in the house was the original One. This is the same but better. V crisp. Halo is making me happy right now.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1402 on: February 10, 2022, 07:12:25 AM »
I want to try out Xenoblad Chronicles 1.

As for 2 I unfortunately am quite certain I cannot deal with the anime collect girls stuff and the character design/voice acting/cutscenes. I looked at some footage and that is decidedly not for me. Same with Genshin Impact.
XC1 doesn't have the anime fan service stuff in it or the gacha character collection, and takes itself a lot more seriously, so you might be into it more. I actually preferred XC1 out of the two games myself.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1403 on: February 10, 2022, 09:35:17 AM »
Was playing Doom 3 on Switch recently and it gave me a taste for some FPS action. I love the Mario stuff on Switch but have struggled to find things that appeal on it outside of their IPs. So picked up a Series S Xbox when i was isolated with covid. The last Xbox we had in the house was the original One. This is the same but better. V crisp. Halo is making me happy right now.

I'm finding that a PS5 and Destiny 2 are the ultimate combination.  Bungie's flagship game that pretty much leaves Halo in the dust.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1404 on: February 10, 2022, 12:53:57 PM »
Nice. :tup
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1405 on: February 10, 2022, 03:52:40 PM »

As for 2 I unfortunately am quite certain I cannot deal with the anime collect girls stuff and the character design/voice acting/cutscenes. I looked at some footage and that is decidedly not for me. Same with Genshin Impact.

Xenoblade 1 is a masterpiece. I love Xenoblade 2 as well, but if you were to only play one, I'd definitely recommend 1 over 2.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1406 on: February 11, 2022, 10:53:23 AM »
https://jalopnik.com/sony-trained-an-ai-to-be-so-good-at-gran-turismo-it-sta-1848516258

This was a really cool read. Sony and the makers of Gran Turismo built an AI that's crazy fast.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1407 on: February 11, 2022, 12:22:38 PM »
Lost my shit at the Xenoblade 3 reveal. Still need to buy and play XC1 Remastered. XC2 is one of the best JRPGs of all time imo. I almost gave on it because of how hard it leans into perverted anime tropes but honestly after chapter 4 it gets better and better and better all the way to the end. What an awesome game.

I got stuck on a boss in Dragon Quest 11 so I put that down for now. I've been playing Pokémon Legends: Arceus since it came out but a couple days ago encountered a game breaking bug. Somehow caught Cresselia before watching the cutscene about catching it so now I can't progress until hopefully there's a patch. I could continue catching everything but that kinda put a damper on my will to continue for now.

Otherwise, I did a 100% run through Banjo Kazooie and remembered why it's one of the best games ever. And I've played through Star Fox 64 on the Switch about 3 or 4 times a day for the last week. Honestly 25 years later I still think it's arguably one of the best Nintendo games ever because I can still replay it constantly and have a blast with it. It's short enough to run through in one sitting and it's very fun imo trying to get all the medals in each course. It's very hard to do on some levels. Had them all as a kid but it took me a few days to get Corneria again. So I have that, Meteo, and Fortuna with medals but still have to do it on the other 12 stages.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1408 on: February 12, 2022, 02:41:46 PM »
I might get smacked for saying this, but I've really been enjoying Fallout 76 lately. As I understand it, it's a completely different game than it was at launch.

I might have to reinstall this one. I bought it for $20 a year ago or so when it was supposedly better than it was at release. For whatever reason(s) I couldn't get into it. I'm going to see what they've added since then.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1409 on: February 14, 2022, 06:45:21 AM »
So i've played alot of Dying Light 2 recently and I love it, the gameplay is superb. I'm bother by one thing though and that's the reason for taking Volatiles off the streets during night. When i played the first game I was so freaked out by going into the night but I loved that about the game. Whenever I heard the wristwatch ring I knew I had to get to a safeplace as soon as possible. I loved that balance between feeling pretty safe during day and shitting bricks when night time was closing in.
Their reasoning for doing that was that they had statistics from the first game that not alot of players played during night and skipped it so by that logic they wanted to make nighttime more accessible and explorable... so get rid of the one thing that made the game feel unique...

I mean come on, by looking at the numbers it feels like a logic step and i'm sure they had a meeting trying to figure out how they could make the game more accessible.  The entire reason for people skipping night time was because it was a genuine fear I feel or atleast that's the way I saw it so whenever I had to go into the night I was freaked out and I absolutely loved that!

In Dying Light 2, there's no real fear anymore. Especially not after leveling your character a bit. Sure I know that Volatiles can spawn at night randomly but it's pretty rare and I've only seen them once.

That's one way to ruin a great thing you had in your previous game!  :facepalm:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1410 on: February 14, 2022, 11:11:17 AM »
My first post in this thread.

I've been playing the original Final Fantasy (PS version) over the last few weeks.  I had the original NES version at some point and later acquired FF1 and FF2 on the same disc for the PS.  I now play it on my 15 year old PS3.  After all these years, it's still a fun game to play.  And, interestingly, I've never been able to make it through FF2, although I suspect my mistake is that I've tried playing it immediately after finishing FF1 and I'm a bit burned out.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1411 on: February 14, 2022, 12:28:19 PM »
I remember playing the original FF game like 25 years ago, fun stuff. The only one from that time that I keep going back to is FF3(FF6 in japan), which to me, along with FFIX and X, are the top 3 FF games.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1412 on: February 14, 2022, 03:37:10 PM »
The amount of hours I've spent playing FF games over the last 30 years is probably nothing short of astronomical. :omg:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1413 on: February 14, 2022, 04:40:30 PM »
So i've played alot of Dying Light 2 recently and I love it, the gameplay is superb. I'm bother by one thing though and that's the reason for taking Volatiles off the streets during night. When i played the first game I was so freaked out by going into the night but I loved that about the game. Whenever I heard the wristwatch ring I knew I had to get to a safeplace as soon as possible. I loved that balance between feeling pretty safe during day and shitting bricks when night time was closing in.
Their reasoning for doing that was that they had statistics from the first game that not alot of players played during night and skipped it so by that logic they wanted to make nighttime more accessible and explorable... so get rid of the one thing that made the game feel unique...

I mean come on, by looking at the numbers it feels like a logic step and i'm sure they had a meeting trying to figure out how they could make the game more accessible.  The entire reason for people skipping night time was because it was a genuine fear I feel or atleast that's the way I saw it so whenever I had to go into the night I was freaked out and I absolutely loved that!

In Dying Light 2, there's no real fear anymore. Especially not after leveling your character a bit. Sure I know that Volatiles can spawn at night randomly but it's pretty rare and I've only seen them once.

That's one way to ruin a great thing you had in your previous game!  :facepalm:

Ah that's too bad. I kinda liked the night time part in the first game. It was scary at first but it really didn't take long for the fear to wear off and the Volatiles became more of an annoyance keeping me from doing what I wanted to do.

How are the bugs? Are you getting a lot of crashes?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1414 on: February 14, 2022, 05:25:16 PM »
Actually haven't experienced any crashes at all which is nice since my rig is near the minimum spec range. I also haven't encountered any noteworthy bugs although there seems to be some bugs regarding enemy spawns or rather something they have to tweak. There's suppose to be zombies called "special infected" but you rarely see them for some reason, infact I can't remember ever seeing them.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1415 on: February 14, 2022, 08:27:35 PM »
Actually haven't experienced any crashes at all which is nice since my rig is near the minimum spec range. I also haven't encountered any noteworthy bugs although there seems to be some bugs regarding enemy spawns or rather something they have to tweak. There's suppose to be zombies called "special infected" but you rarely see them for some reason, infact I can't remember ever seeing them.

That doesn't sound bad at all. The review I read (I think it was IGN) made the game sound like a buggy mess.

Online Revenge319

« Reply #1416 on: February 14, 2022, 08:35:30 PM »
I completed BioShock tonight. Pretty cool game, I will definitely be playing the other two games in the series assuming they're just as good or better.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1417 on: February 14, 2022, 08:43:42 PM »
I completed BioShock tonight. Pretty cool game, I will definitely be playing the other two games in the series assuming they're just as good or better.
Bioshock 2 is great. Bioshock Infinite was also good, but I don't think it quite captured the magic of the first 2 games.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1418 on: February 15, 2022, 04:37:05 AM »

XC1 doesn't have the anime fan service stuff in it or the gacha character collection, and takes itself a lot more seriously, so you might be into it more. I actually preferred XC1 out of the two games myself.

Xenoblade 1 is a masterpiece. I love Xenoblade 2 as well, but if you were to only play one, I'd definitely recommend 1 over 2.

Yeah, I think I will like 1, based on what I have seen/heard over the years.

I had an anime phase and was a big JRPG fan late 90's/early 00's, but for me both generally went in a direction that is not for me. And Xenoblade 2 seems to represent that direction to a tee. Offcourse there are anime shows and Japanese games I love still.

Interestingly, I did really love Three Houses, which for me is the best Switch game out there. The tea talks in that game were embarrassing though, did some against my will only to improve bonds with some characters.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1419 on: February 15, 2022, 04:43:44 AM »
Both Xenos appealed to me but I really struggle to find time to start new several dozen hour RPGs nowadays.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1420 on: February 15, 2022, 05:24:43 AM »
Bioshock 2 is great. Bioshock Infinite was also good, but I don't think it quite captured the magic of the first 2 games.
I thought all 3 of them were excellent in different ways, but also quite flawed and some aspects haven't aged that well :P

Online Revenge319

« Reply #1421 on: February 15, 2022, 06:10:26 AM »
I thought all 3 of them were excellent in different ways, but also quite flawed and some aspects haven't aged that well :P

My biggest problem with BioShock 1 was that a few levels felt longer than they needed to be. I guess they wanted to make the game feel longer, but for me it just really slowed down the story.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1422 on: February 15, 2022, 06:36:49 AM »

I actually loved all three games.  They weren't just carbon copies of each other.  I was a HUGE System Shock guy too, and there were wonderful echoes of that game across all three BioShock games.  I had an affinity for the third one, just because it was...  I don't want to say "quirky", but the story was really good.  My daughter's name is Elizabeth, and the murky relationship between Booker and Elizabeth - with the implication that she is Anna, his daughter - was impactful to me.   As a general rule, my daughter used to like watching me play video games and this was one that she used to ask for most.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: February 15, 2022, 09:54:45 AM »
+1 on the Bioshock love, thought all 3 were pretty good with maybe the 2nd being the best, but not by any means to say the others aren't worth playing or anything like that. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1424 on: February 15, 2022, 11:19:25 AM »
Speaking of Bioshock, Netflix is apparently developing a movie for it. I think the movie Shape of Water already had a lot of the visual aesthetics of Bioshock. Hope they can nail the look and vibe of the game.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1425 on: February 15, 2022, 11:22:39 AM »
Since its Netflix, I think it will be a coinflip between decent and an absolute disaster.

Anyone played the original System Shock games? Always thought I should get around to them but never found time for it.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1426 on: February 15, 2022, 11:35:52 AM »
Speaking of Bioshock, Netflix is apparently developing a movie for it. I think the movie Shape of Water already had a lot of the visual aesthetics of Bioshock. Hope they can nail the look and vibe of the game.
Hasn't that movie been in the works for ages or is this a new attempt?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1427 on: February 15, 2022, 11:39:12 AM »

I am not sure if this is a continuation of that effort from ages ago but Netflix officially announced it today.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1428 on: February 15, 2022, 11:39:57 AM »

I am not sure if this is a continuation of that effort from ages ago but Netflix officially announced it today.
Oh nice!  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: February 15, 2022, 12:21:59 PM »
Since its Netflix, I think it will be a coinflip between decent and an absolute disaster.

Anyone played the original System Shock games? Always thought I should get around to them but never found time for it.

I LOVED the System Shock games.  BIG fan.  I even have the original on 5 1/4" floppies somewhere, and the second one on CD-Rom.   I'm not aware of any way we can play them right now with the current systems, but if you can, they are worth it, IMO.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: February 15, 2022, 12:29:32 PM »

I LOVED the System Shock games.  BIG fan.  I even have the original on 5 1/4" floppies somewhere, and the second one on CD-Rom.   I'm not aware of any way we can play them right now with the current systems, but if you can, they are worth it, IMO.

I never played through the System Shock games despite loving the Bioshock games. I really need to go back and revisit them.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1431 on: February 15, 2022, 01:58:14 PM »
I tried playing System Shock 2 a few years ago but got completely lost and the clunky controls didn't help :lol. I should prob watch a gameplay.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1432 on: February 15, 2022, 02:48:56 PM »
https://www.gog.com/en/game/system_shock_enhanced_edition

Theres an enhanced version of the original on GOG that in addition to working on modern systems adds a lot of quality of life stuff like mouselook and key remapping.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: February 15, 2022, 03:00:33 PM »
There's a Thief 2 there as well...   I love that game too.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1434 on: February 15, 2022, 03:36:24 PM »
Thief is probably my second favourite series of games.