Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 160850 times)

Revenge319, Herrick and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2020, 07:47:25 PM »
I'm hoping the next Battlefield can really compete with Call of Duty again, I used to like BF more but the last BF game failed to get me interested and I feel they've slowly gone downhill since BF3. Theres definitely some potential with the next gen release.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2020, 07:58:45 PM »
I'm hoping the next Battlefield can really compete with Call of Duty again, I used to like BF more but the last BF game failed to get me interested and I feel they've slowly gone downhill since Battlefield Vietnam. Theres definitely some potential with the next gen release.
Fixed that for you  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »
Good god, what a cluster-fuck Ubisoft's subscription service is. I signed up for it again so I could play Watch Dogs Legion and Assassins Creed Valhalla on Wednesday. I got to play Wednesday and Thursday, but on Thursday evening it says my account has been suspended because my payment failed (mind you my credit card has already been charged). There is nothing wrong with my card. Their "support" suggests using a different payment method (among a long list of copy/pasted nonsense to try), so I try using Paypal. The payment goes through and I'm charged another 14.99, but now it says my subscription has been canceled and suspended. So now I've paid $30 and got 2 days of service....

Guess I'll be charging back my card and reporting the Paypal charge and never using Ubisoft again. Fuck those guys. How do you screw up a subscription service that bad. It almost feels like I'm being scammed at this point.

.....and that's my rant for the day.... >:(

That sucks but it seems like it's an easy problem to fix if you contact Ubisoft directly. I hate calling or e-mailing any customer support but I like to give them a chance to fix the problem before reporting them to The Bank.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2020, 08:33:27 PM »
Good god, what a cluster-fuck Ubisoft's subscription service is. I signed up for it again so I could play Watch Dogs Legion and Assassins Creed Valhalla on Wednesday. I got to play Wednesday and Thursday, but on Thursday evening it says my account has been suspended because my payment failed (mind you my credit card has already been charged). There is nothing wrong with my card. Their "support" suggests using a different payment method (among a long list of copy/pasted nonsense to try), so I try using Paypal. The payment goes through and I'm charged another 14.99, but now it says my subscription has been canceled and suspended. So now I've paid $30 and got 2 days of service....

Guess I'll be charging back my card and reporting the Paypal charge and never using Ubisoft again. Fuck those guys. How do you screw up a subscription service that bad. It almost feels like I'm being scammed at this point.

That sucks but it seems like it's an easy problem to fix if you contact Ubisoft directly. I hate calling or e-mailing any customer support but I like to give them a chance to fix the problem before reporting them to The Bank.
I did contact Ubisoft support, they gave me a copy/pasted list of nonsensical "fixes" and then suggested I use a different payment method. I'm still out $30 and their support has done nothing about it other than tell me it's just a hold on my card (it isn't, the payment went through according to my credit card company), and that the Paypal payment never went through (it did, the money was pulled directly from my bank account and the payment is on my paypal statement). I haven't heard anything back from Ubisoft support since I told them none of their fixes have worked and that was now 4 days ago.

Long story short, they will no longer get my money. And they have been reported to my Credit card company and Paypal. Credit card charge was reversed within 24 hours (because my credit card company actually has customer service that works). Still waiting to get the paypal charge back.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2020, 09:36:05 PM »

I did contact Ubisoft support, they gave me a copy/pasted list of nonsensical "fixes" and then suggested I use a different payment method. I'm still out $30 and their support has done nothing about it other than tell me it's just a hold on my card (it isn't, the payment went through according to my credit card company), and that the Paypal payment never went through (it did, the money was pulled directly from my bank account and the payment is on my paypal statement). I haven't heard anything back from Ubisoft support since I told them none of their fixes have worked and that was now 4 days ago.

Long story short, they will no longer get my money. And they have been reported to my Credit card company and Paypal. Credit card charge was reversed within 24 hours (because my credit card company actually has customer service that works). Still waiting to get the paypal charge back.

Sorry. I misunderstood you. I thought you only went to the support part of their website.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2020, 05:40:31 AM »
Looks like you'll be able to stream/play your PS5 via your old PS4. That's pretty cool.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/9/21556803/sony-ps5-remote-play-ps4-app-streaming-games

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2020, 04:09:19 PM »
Looking at my Series X as we speak. Given the many horror stories online and even our mainstream news commenting on console scarcity (man, the PS5 is going to be bad here), I have been very lucky obtaining a pre-order with only a managable price mark up. And Yakuza Like a Dragon arrived according to plan as well

First of all, purely from a packaging point of view, unboxing this is by far the most premium experience I ever had with a console. Everything feels high quality, both the hardware and packaging. Controller is super similar to the Xbox One controller, but the D-pad is superior, which is good. And the material has a very different feel. Other than that, I have 100s of gigabytes to download so impressions will have to wait.

What my first downloads are:
-Gears Tactics (shiny new game for console owners, game reviewed well on pc earlier this year).
-Forza Horizon 3 (it was One X enhanced so will look nicer)
-Red Dead Redemption, the original (also One X enhanced, so biiig jump in image quality vs original 720p on 360)
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (curious to see how og xbox games are doing).
-The update for Yakuza Like a Dragon.

Anyways, I am ready for Cyberpunk next month!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »
That's pretty cool.  I've got no interest in the new consoles (only interest is upgrading my graphics card in 2021) but I'm happy for all the folks who are going to be enjoying the new consoles if they've been able to get them, definitely some exciting and fun times in the gaming world.

I'm hoping the next Battlefield can really compete with Call of Duty again, I used to like BF more but the last BF game failed to get me interested and I feel they've slowly gone downhill since Battlefield Vietnam. Theres definitely some potential with the next gen release.
Fixed that for you  :biggrin:

I didn't play that so you may be right.  There's so much potential for the next one, I hope they can come back and make a big splash on the FPS scene.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2020, 04:28:22 PM »
I haven't played a game on my PS4 in months. The only thing that will make me buy a PS5 is if the next GTA gets released and won't be available on PC for some time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »
I haven't played a game on my PS4 in months. The only thing that will make me buy a PS5 is if the next GTA gets released and won't be available on PC for some time.

You can pretty much guarantee that will be the case.  I've learned my lesson and will wait as I did with RDR2.  I'm not giving Rockstar more money than necessary considering they don't seem big on releasing new games so I have a hard time supporting them more than buying a game once.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2020, 05:18:13 PM »
I was actually thinking about building a pc around the rtx 3070, but I decided to go for the Series X and a new 4k tv that is good for HDR gaming (eying Sony X900H series). I only really game on my tv, unless it's on the Switch or something. The Series X packs quite a punch for its price and I have gamepass until the end of 2023. On top of that is still got 130 euros for my old One S, which I don't need anymore, making the deal even better. If I return to pc gaming it will be further into this console generation.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2020, 06:30:59 PM »
I was actually thinking about building a pc around the rtx 3070, but I decided to go for the Series X and a new 4k tv that is good for HDR gaming (eying Sony X900H series). I only really game on my tv, unless it's on the Switch or something. The Series X packs quite a punch for its price and I have gamepass until the end of 2023. On top of that is still got 130 euros for my old One S, which I don't need anymore, making the deal even better. If I return to pc gaming it will be further into this console generation.
If you can afford the price difference, the Sony X950h is much better for gaming. It has better upscaling to 4k and way better HDR, due to higher peak brightness and their super bit mapping. It also has lower input lag.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
Well I was going to game some Halo with my best buds who got their shiny new Xbox Series Xs in today, but my fucking headset won't cooperate with my computer so I just said screw it and I'll buy a new one tomorrow if I can. Grumble grumble. At least I got a couple hours with Halo: CE - hitting Tab and being able to instantly swap between the old graphics and the new ones is awesome, and they did a great job enhancing everything, sometimes entire parts of the level look completely new. Still a very fun game if dated and a little boring early on but Game Pass PC has been proving to be a blast for me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2020, 07:53:16 PM »
If you can afford the price difference, the Sony X950h is much better for gaming. It has better upscaling to 4k and way better HDR, due to higher peak brightness and their super bit mapping. It also has lower input lag.

Thanks for the tip. I think the 900 series is now marketed for gamers due to the hdmi 2.1, which the 950 does not seem to have. I honestly wasn't even aware of the 950. I doubt I will ever use 4k 120 hz and nor do I really care for that. I maibly play on consoles after all, so good colors and HDR trumps almost anything else for me. The price difference isn't hat big for the smaller sizes (which I prefer, as it won't be in a livingroom).

I still don't know when I will get a new set, but I am considering buying one in december, depending on my "13th" month of end of the year salary.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2020, 08:17:26 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I think the 900 series is now marketed for gamers due to the hdmi 2.1, which the 950 does not seem to have. I honestly wasn't even aware of the 950. I doubt I will ever use 4k 120 hz and nor do I really care for that. I maibly play on consoles after all, so good colors and HDR trumps almost anything else for me. The price difference isn't hat big for the smaller sizes (which I prefer, as it won't be in a livingroom).

I still don't know when I will get a new set, but I am considering buying one in december, depending on my "13th" month of end of the year salary.
Yeah you are correct that the 950h doesn't have hdmi 2.1. If color accuracy and HDR is more important then definitely go for the 950h. The HDR difference between the 2 is pretty big.

However, if you want the best of both worlds and better price to performance, check out the Hisense H9G TV's. They actually have even better HDR and better input lag. The only downside, is it only comes in 2 sizes 55" and 65" and the color accuracy out of the box is not great, but when properly calibrated is actually better than the Sony TV's.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2020, 02:20:33 AM »

Yeah you are correct that the 950h doesn't have hdmi 2.1. If color accuracy and HDR is more important then definitely go for the 950h. The HDR difference between the 2 is pretty big.

However, if you want the best of both worlds and better price to performance, check out the Hisense H9G TV's. They actually have even better HDR and better input lag. The only downside, is it only comes in 2 sizes 55" and 65" and the color accuracy out of the box is not great, but when properly calibrated is actually better than the Sony TV's.

Hisense isn't a thing in The Netherlands/Europe. The market here actually is pretty different, which sucks. Even the mainstream models all tend to have different names, making it a pain to google reviews. I honestly don't know why this is the case. Like no other type of electronic device I can think of has this naming bullshit going on.

What is even more confusing is that tv's are marketed as 50hz or 100hz, both officially and in stores, which hasn't been accurate for ages now, but they just stuck with the old PAL naming. How that helps anyone is beyond my guess.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2020, 09:56:40 AM »
I've been really happy so far with the PS5 pre-order process.  Got all my accessories early.  Duel Sense Controller, Duel Sense charging station, and PS5 Media Remote.
The Console and Demon's Souls estimated to arrive Thurs 11/12.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2020, 10:14:30 AM »
That Demon's Souls remake looks breathtaking. I'll never play it because I do not do Soulsborne games, but my god, it's some eye candy.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2020, 10:46:25 AM »
That Demon's Souls remake looks breathtaking. I'll never play it because I do not do Soulsborne games, but my god, it's some eye candy.

Demon souls is the only one of the soulsborne games I haven't played and that will be the first thing I get when I eventually get a PS5. And I agree it looks fantastic.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2020, 10:48:03 AM »

I never played the original one, but I hope it's not like Dark Souls.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2020, 10:49:00 AM »

I have bad news for you, Dublagent.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »

I ordered Miles Morales along with the PS5, both from Amazon and I haven't getten news from them as to when anything will be shipped  :sad:

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »
Hey all! Need some feedback. So I got my Series X yesterday and would love to be able to utilize the 120fps however my current set up (both TV (75 inch Sony 4k) and Receiver (I have a 5.1 setup) are maxed out at 60hz. In order to get to the 120fps I'd need to upgrade both. Doing some research it sounds like there is a chip issue in all AVRs that support HDMI 2.1 which is a requirement to get the 120fps/hz passthrough. So my options are as follows:

- Upgrade the TV and abandon the 5.1 for a sound bar
- Upgrade the TV and wait for the AVR issue to be resolved
- Don't upgrade anything, the difference between 60fps and 120fps is not worth it.

Thoughts? I'm thinking about upgrading to a LG OLED Cx series regardless.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »
Hey all! Need some feedback. So I got my Series X yesterday and would love to be able to utilize the 120fps however my current set up (both TV (75 inch Sony 4k) and Receiver (I have a 5.1 setup) are maxed out at 60hz. In order to get to the 120fps I'd need to upgrade both. Doing some research it sounds like there is a chip issue in all AVRs that support HDMI 2.1 which is a requirement to get the 120fps/hz passthrough. So my options are as follows:

- Upgrade the TV and abandon the 5.1 for a sound bar
- Upgrade the TV and wait for the AVR issue to be resolved
- Don't upgrade anything, the difference between 60fps and 120fps is not worth it.

Thoughts? I'm thinking about upgrading to a LG OLED Cx series regardless.

I got a 55" LG CX a couple months ago and it's incredible

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2020, 12:30:49 PM »
I heard that only certain exclusive games will support 120fps, so I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. :dunno:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2020, 12:47:06 PM »
What is interesting is that the PS5 pack in Astrobot is getting a lot of good reviews and apparently it really is a nice Nintendo-esque game. And I am not surprised, I think Astrobit on PSVR is one of the best 3d platform experiences out there.

I heard that only certain exclusive games will support 120fps, so I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. :dunno:

Depends entirely on the developers and the type of game. If a game is GPU limited, I wouldn't be surprised to see more options for lower resolutions at a higher framerate.

That said, I do think console gamers should not expect many 120 fps games.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2020, 06:18:57 PM »

Depends entirely on the developers and the type of game. If a game is GPU limited, I wouldn't be surprised to see more options for lower resolutions at a higher framerate.

That said, I do think console gamers should not expect many 120 fps games.
Exactly this. I wouldn't get too hung up on 120fps for the new consoles. I would guess the overwhelming majority of games won't even be able to run at 120fps at 4k. However if you think your TV needs an upgrade, the new LG CX TV's you are looking at are really good. The only downside to it is the peak brightness for HDR content and color volume. It's just not a very bright panel. Everything else about it is incredible.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2020, 09:52:03 AM »
Some Series X impressions:

The system:
-OS system is near identical to the One, just much snappier due to the hardware.
-Quick Resume is awesome, or at least can be. Not every game works and there are some bugs. But jumping back into Gears 5 after doing some races in Forza in a matter of seconds is very neat, especially since you can continue right where you left the game.
-The controller is highly similar to the One's, but it feels significantly more premium.

The games I tried:
-Gears Tactics is a very nice game, I think it is an addictive game with a high pacing for it's genre. Suitable for strategy casuals like me. It really feels like Gears of War.
-Forza Horizon 3 remains amazing, One X enhancements make it look much tighter.
-Red Dead Redemption One X enhanced looks great, the game has aged very well. The jump from the 360's 720p/PS3's bad 640p to downsampled 1080p from 4k is very significant.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK-eya5qGUU

Offcourse none of these games are remotely as impressive as, say, The Last of Us II, so true next gen console experiences will have to follow later. Hopefully Cyberpunk next month delivers.

I am considering starting a new No Man's Sky save though, because that is something the Series X will do vastly better than my PS4pro. Maybe I will boost my new save by going online with both and just hand over a bunch of expensive shit.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #168 on: November 12, 2020, 03:29:33 PM »
PS5 has arrived!!   :)  :biggrin: :2metal:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2020, 04:48:52 PM »
Maybe I haven't been paying attention enough but why does it feel like this new gen. console launch feels very bland and kinda empty?

At this time during previous console launches the hype was through the roof with massive next gen titles.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2020, 06:19:47 PM »
Maybe I haven't been paying attention enough but why does it feel like this new gen. console launch feels very bland and kinda empty?

At this time during previous console launches the hype was through the roof with massive next gen titles.
I feel the same way. There aren't any impressive launch titles, imo.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2020, 08:56:38 PM »
I gotta say if Halo Infinite wasn't a development disaster and launched on time, boy, the hype machine would be in full swing.

That said this is the first time Sony and Microsoft have come out with brand new hardware that has legitimately impressed me. I watched my friends showing off their Series Xs and just... wow. The games are very rarely awesome on launch, Nintendo is usually good about that at least with a Zelda or Mario ready to go, but yeah. The hardware this time is impressing me a lot.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #172 on: November 13, 2020, 05:24:02 AM »

I feel the same way. There aren't any impressive launch titles, imo.
I dunno, launch titles are never that impressive really. https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/how-do-the-ps5-launch-titles-compare-to-ps4-ps3-ps2-and-playstation/

I think covid is the main factor this time. Firstly, you don't have the big in-person events, you don't have people queuing up overnight at stores to get in first, so there's less hype. Secondly, some games have had to be delayed, so while in terms of quality the launch titles are pretty comparable with previous generations, there are fewer of them.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: November 13, 2020, 05:38:08 AM »
I'd be a fuckton excited about this generation if the machines were actually available for purchase! There are several PS4/5 games I'd love to get into.

I jump in it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: November 13, 2020, 05:55:16 AM »
I've been going back and forth about getting a PS5. Still can't make up my mind. Can you play games with a mouse and keyboard (and map the keys) on the consoles?