Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5  (Read 165669 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Series Xbox One X Series Switch S 5
« Reply #1365 on: February 01, 2022, 10:06:28 PM »
Usually when these pop up it's almost always no, it's usually a vertical slice and then nintendo sends a cease and desist and that's the end of that.

Then how are there so many Zelda Randomizers out there?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1366 on: February 01, 2022, 10:22:02 PM »
After seeing that concert with Danish Radio Orchestra playing the whole skyrim OST I had such an urge to play the game again. I booted up ELO which I had played about 40mins before or something and i'm not sure what it is but man does the game look ugly and having so many players running around with animals and shit just brings me out of the immersion.
Installed Skyrim instead and while that game is older with the Special Edition and the enhanced graphics it looks pretty good. I started a new game from scratch and it's lovely visiting all the towns and areas again and building your character.  :heart
I've also been playing through Skyrim again, using the Living Skyrim modlist. It can still look beautiful at times.

That modlist sounds cool but holy shit...257 gigs?!

Puppies on Acid what are your PC specs and how does Living Skyrim run?
I think it only comes out to about 200gigs, but yeah....a lot of mods.

For the past few months I have been thinking about getting a bigger hard drive as my main one is only 500 gigs. This modlist may make me buy that bigger hard drive soon.
Just make sure you get an SSD or NVME drive. Standard HDD's will struggle with that mod list.

Also make sure you install it via Wabbajack.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1367 on: February 01, 2022, 11:12:37 PM »
Usually when these pop up it's almost always no, it's usually a vertical slice and then nintendo sends a cease and desist and that's the end of that.

Aren't those for emulators?

After seeing that concert with Danish Radio Orchestra playing the whole skyrim OST I had such an urge to play the game again. I booted up ELO which I had played about 40mins before or something and i'm not sure what it is but man does the game look ugly and having so many players running around with animals and shit just brings me out of the immersion.
Installed Skyrim instead and while that game is older with the Special Edition and the enhanced graphics it looks pretty good. I started a new game from scratch and it's lovely visiting all the towns and areas again and building your character.  :heart
I've also been playing through Skyrim again, using the Living Skyrim modlist. It can still look beautiful at times.

For the past few months I have been thinking about getting a bigger hard drive as my main one is only 500 gigs. This modlist may make me buy that bigger hard drive soon.
Just make sure you get an SSD or NVME drive. Standard HDD's will struggle with that mod list.

Also make sure you install it via Wabbajack.

Oh yeah I'd go with another SSD drive. I've never heard of NVME. I'll look into that.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1368 on: February 02, 2022, 12:13:20 AM »
Oh yeah I'd go with another SSD drive. I've never heard of NVME. I'll look into that.
You just need to make sure your motherboard supports M.2 drives.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1369 on: February 02, 2022, 12:30:11 AM »

It does. I need to look into the benefits & cost of a M.2 drive before I decide.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1370 on: February 02, 2022, 04:32:44 AM »

A randomiser does not really compete with Nintendo's own business model and does not require years of development. And a randomiser is made for someone who already played the game, usually extensively.

Nintendo has put a lot of projects down. Smash mods, Metroid/Zelda remakes, fan games etc. I don't really blame them though, I think it mostly makes sense to do that. I just wish Nintendo would look at the competition and get their remake/remaster game at least somewhat close.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1371 on: February 02, 2022, 06:22:51 AM »
I remember seeing a beautiful clip of what was labeled as leaked footage of a Sonic remaster. It was gorgeous and I was so hyped. Nothing ever came of it. 

I found out years later it was fucking Blob who made it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxXycBv3Rlk

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1372 on: February 02, 2022, 06:55:18 AM »

It does. I need to look into the benefits & cost of a M.2 drive before I decide.
m.2 drives are handy in that they don't need separate cables for power and data connection. They hook straight to the board. You have generally two types of m.2 drives that are SSDS - NVME and SATA. Main difference is the transfer speed. SATA is capped around 600 MB/s. NVME on the other hand go much much faster. The current gen of NVME is PCIe 4.0 and you get SSDs that are around 7000 MB/s. However most 4.0 SSDs are expensive and become hot quite easily. NVME SSDs that are PCIe 3.0 have become much cheaper and are almost the same price as SATA SSDs.

Keep in mind though for games which type of SSD you get is almost meaningless, there is no visible benefit when loading from a SATA SSD, NVME PCIe 3.0 SSD or NVME PCIe 4.0 SSD. The difference you feel and get is when comparing regular HDDs vs SSDS (any type).

This comes from not just reading about it but personal experience. I've used all those types of drives as my main OS drive and made notes of the differences, like loading time, etc...
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1373 on: February 02, 2022, 07:26:13 AM »

Interesting, didn't know about that mod list. Although I used to run alot of mods for Skyrim. I remember the improved item menu mod was very handy.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1374 on: February 02, 2022, 07:42:19 AM »
3070 Tis have come back in stock in Sweden momentarily. Now I debate whether I really want to spend 1300 USD on a GPU.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1375 on: February 02, 2022, 08:29:00 AM »

m.2 drives are handy in that they don't need separate cables for power and data connection. They hook straight to the board. You have generally two types of m.2 drives that are SSDS - NVME and SATA. Main difference is the transfer speed. SATA is capped around 600 MB/s. NVME on the other hand go much much faster. The current gen of NVME is PCIe 4.0 and you get SSDs that are around 7000 MB/s. However most 4.0 SSDs are expensive and become hot quite easily. NVME SSDs that are PCIe 3.0 have become much cheaper and are almost the same price as SATA SSDs.

Keep in mind though for games which type of SSD you get is almost meaningless, there is no visible benefit when loading from a SATA SSD, NVME PCIe 3.0 SSD or NVME PCIe 4.0 SSD. The difference you feel and get is when comparing regular HDDs vs SSDS (any type).

This comes from not just reading about it but personal experience. I've used all those types of drives as my main OS drive and made notes of the differences, like loading time, etc...

Cool thanks for the rundown. I have a full sized PC case so I'm not worried about space. I think I'll just stick with a "good old fashioned" SSD drive  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: February 02, 2022, 08:41:31 AM »
3070 Tis have come back in stock in Sweden momentarily. Now I debate whether I really want to spend 1300 USD on a GPU.

If you want/need a new GPU, I don't know if you have many options on pricing and the waiting game doesn't look very optimistic for the near future.  I hate to admit it, but I paid more for a base 3070 last year.  Not happy I overpaid a lot, but I didn't have a GPU atm so it is what it is.  It was a huge upgrade over the 1080 I had before it burnt out.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1377 on: February 02, 2022, 08:52:54 AM »
Well I initially planned to buy a new PC in 2014, and now its 2022. :P Mainly I'm wondering if its worth waiting for Ryzen 7xxx and the 4000 series at this point.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: February 02, 2022, 09:02:59 AM »
Well I initially planned to buy a new PC in 2014, and now its 2022. :P Mainly I'm wondering if its worth waiting for Ryzen 7xxx and the 4000 series at this point.

Not sure I can give you any advice on that, but if you've been waiting 8 years, whats another year? But I will say, after my failed attempt to use an AMD GPU last year, I won't be trying again for awhile (albeit I'm pretty sure the issue would have been resolved if I did a full wipe of my OS drive).  I've had no issues with my AMD CPU though.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1379 on: February 02, 2022, 09:05:00 AM »

Not sure I can give you any advice on that, but if you've been waiting 8 years, whats another year? But I will say, after my failed attempt to use an AMD GPU last year, I won't be trying again for awhile (albeit I'm pretty sure the issue would have been resolved if I did a full wipe of my OS drive).  I've had no issues with my AMD CPU though.

What happened to your GPU?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1380 on: February 02, 2022, 09:09:07 AM »

Sure, problem is if you keep thinking "whats another year" you end up 8 years without your own PC. :P At this point the main things that are holding me off is that the next gen of Ryzen is likely to change the socket, and given they are quite good with long term support I think using the 7xxx series might be more future proof.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: February 02, 2022, 09:14:22 AM »

My EVGA 1080 last year literally caught fire somehow.  Those were known to overheat though so not too surprising it burnt out after many years of use, but to actually see a flame come out of it was quite shocking.  Luckily it only destroyed the GPU, everything else in the PC was fine.  I used my old GTX 770 for a bit after that but that old card couldn't really handle any modern games so I coughed up a lot more than I'd like to admit to get a graphics card.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1382 on: February 02, 2022, 10:04:55 AM »

My EVGA 1080 last year literally caught fire somehow.  Those were known to overheat though so not too surprising it burnt out after many years of use, but to actually see a flame come out of it was quite shocking.  Luckily it only destroyed the GPU, everything else in the PC was fine.  I used my old GTX 770 for a bit after that but that old card couldn't really handle any modern games so I coughed up a lot more than I'd like to admit to get a graphics card.

That sucks but I would've done the same thing. We gotta do what we gotta do.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: February 02, 2022, 10:08:53 AM »
Yeah, I game too much on my PC so waiting for price drops was not an ideal option for me.  My boredom over powered my wallet.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1384 on: February 02, 2022, 11:21:57 AM »

Sure, problem is if you keep thinking "whats another year" you end up 8 years without your own PC. :P At this point the main things that are holding me off is that the next gen of Ryzen is likely to change the socket, and given they are quite good with long term support I think using the 7xxx series might be more future proof.

In my opinion, like you said the waiting game just goes on indefinitely as there is always something more advanced and better coming out. I'm sure the new AM5 socket will be great and allow support for newer technologies and multi-generation CPUs, but with the supply and demand issue the way it is, who knows how the availability will be.

I've adopted the interim solution stance where I make do with what I can get until I can get my hands on the part I really want. Did that for GPU, CPU and SSD. I think it worked out quite well. It was more of a cascading upgrade rather than a one and done build.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1385 on: February 03, 2022, 04:19:11 PM »

Interesting, didn't know about that mod list. Although I used to run alot of mods for Skyrim. I remember the improved item menu mod was very handy.
I installed the Inigo companion mod yesterday and that brought life into the game. It's a companion with it's own AI brain. It will talk to you during your travels and since I had Lydia with me he also talks to her, it's kinda funny.

I also installed the SkyUI and an achievements enabler. Was thinking about Living Skyrim but I simply don't have enough room for that right now.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1386 on: February 03, 2022, 07:17:32 PM »

I installed the Inigo companion mod yesterday and that brought life into the game. It's a companion with it's own AI brain. It will talk to you during your travels and since I had Lydia with me he also talks to her, it's kinda funny.

I also installed the SkyUI and an achievements enabler. Was thinking about Living Skyrim but I simply don't have enough room for that right now.
Since you are already using Inigo (which is a fantastic companion), I highly recommend you use Lucien as well. They will constantly banter back and forth and eventually become best friends, plus Lucien's quest is really cool too. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/20035
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1387 on: February 04, 2022, 12:25:25 AM »

Since you are already using Inigo (which is a fantastic companion), I highly recommend you use Lucien as well. They will constantly banter back and forth and eventually become best friends, plus Lucien's quest is really cool too. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/20035
Nice, yea I remember seeing Lucien there but I didn't know it was a companion.

Btw is there a limit on number of companions you can have?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 12:35:32 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1388 on: February 04, 2022, 01:34:53 AM »

Nice, yea I remember seeing Lucien there but I didn't know it was a companion.

Btw is there a limit on number of companions you can have?
I'm not sure, since I play with so many mods that change stuff like that. Part of Living Skyrim is a mod called NFF, which is a follower framework mod that changes the way followers work and how many you can have.

Having said all that, I believe it's recommended to not have more than 4 or 5 companions at a time. I usually stick with about 3, then occasionally I'll pick up a 4th temporarily.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: February 04, 2022, 06:40:02 AM »
I just realized that in my countless playthroughs of Skyrim I have never played it with a companion on more than 1 or 2 missions.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1390 on: February 04, 2022, 07:56:55 AM »
The companions in Skyrim are a bit boring and barely have any dialouge/story, except for the vampire girl in the DLC. Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 do this much better.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: February 04, 2022, 08:12:03 AM »
If I recall, the best part of a companion is having them hold your extra shit

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1392 on: February 04, 2022, 11:41:40 AM »
Oh I waited so long for this game and know it's finally here.  :metal

I just hope my 1080 can handle it decently.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: February 04, 2022, 11:48:28 AM »

Hopefully you have a new card by GTA6's release.  It doesn't seem like it's coming anytime too soon based on the announcement, and if it's like previous releases, it won't be on PC for even longer.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1394 on: February 04, 2022, 11:57:12 AM »

Hopefully you have a new card by GTA6's release.  It doesn't seem like it's coming anytime too soon based on the announcement, and if it's like previous releases, it won't be on PC for even longer.
Yea I hope so too but I was talking about Dying Light 2.  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: February 04, 2022, 12:00:48 PM »
 :lol

That game looks pretty cool

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #1396 on: February 04, 2022, 02:11:08 PM »
I'm going to try to wait for Dying Light 2 to go on sale...like 50% off. I might not be able to wait. I'll definitely wait for the major bugs to get squashed.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1397 on: February 04, 2022, 07:23:04 PM »
The companions in Skyrim are a bit boring and barely have any dialouge/story, except for the vampire girl in the DLC. Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 do this much better.
Yeah the vanilla companions are bad, but there are modded companions that are done amazingly well, like the aforementioned Inigo and Lucien. Other great companion mods are Hoth, Sofia, Mirai (although it's a little buggy), and the many very well done followers that are part of the massive Interesting NPC's mod.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1398 on: February 09, 2022, 04:04:12 PM »
With Xenoblade Chronicles 3 arriving in just eight months, I think that's all but guaranteed to be my Game of the Year for 2022.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1399 on: February 10, 2022, 02:45:09 AM »
I want to try out Xenoblad Chronicles 1.

As for 2 I unfortunately am quite certain I cannot deal with the anime collect girls stuff and the character design/voice acting/cutscenes. I looked at some footage and that is decidedly not for me. Same with Genshin Impact.

Edit: the Mariokart DLC is great and has a good price. Not lamenting having no new Mariokart on the Switch if they make it closer to being a definitive game like Smash Ultimate.