Author Topic: New AC/DC with almost Classic Line Up  (Read 8131 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: New AC/DC with almost Classic Line Up
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2020, 12:09:09 PM »
LOVE IT
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2020, 12:10:08 PM »
BJ looks great and for a 72 year old man, he has great energy and moves.

I had the exact same thoughts, and honestly he sounds better than on the singles for the last album imo. It's impressive especially with that kind of voice.

I like this single more than the ones for Rock or Bust. It's ACDC by the numbers but ACDC can get away with that. The Jim Breuer bit on ACDC is hilarious largely because it's true, they could literally play ACDC riffs while singing the phone book and it would rock. I kind of want to run through their discography, haven't done that since I was a teenager I think, but I know I'd burn out by Fly On The Wall  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2020, 02:40:32 PM »
It’s AC/DC by numbers but it still sounds great and puts a smile on my face.  I have a similar thing with AC/DC and Megadeth in that I’m a bit of a greatest hits fan and that’s not like me at all. I’ve seen Megadeth live a number of times and really enjoy their big tunes. As soon as I start digging into the album tracks though, I lose interest. AC/DC are the same.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2020, 08:27:15 PM »
Holy shit it sounds just like AC/DC! :lol

BJ looks great and for a 72 year old man, he has great energy and moves.

He's now 73. My father is 74, and I'm thinking ..there's no fucking way. :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »
You guys want to see some great Brian Johnson moves, check this out. I slagged the look of this band in The Cool Thread, but holy shit, this song is amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXmHD4QVYXE
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2020, 09:11:30 PM »
I really enjoyed that. Definitely by the numbers AC/DC and that's what makes it so much fun to listen to. Been a while since I've put on their albums, might work myself backwards into their discography.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2020, 10:48:31 PM »
You guys want to see some great Brian Johnson moves, check this out. I slagged the look of this band in The Cool Thread, but holy shit, this song is amazing!

Anyone notice that the guitarist was playing a cherry red Gibson SG?  :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2020, 11:34:57 AM »

I have a CD of Geordie songs and they're way better than they should be.  I love Brian's voice when he sings sings, instead of using his AC/DC voice. 

Also it was cool that Geddy Lee let Julian Lennon use his bass.  ;) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2020, 11:43:30 AM »
I had this when I was a kid, it's a collection of Geordie songs. I remember loving the version of House Of The Rising Sun.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2020, 12:31:12 PM »
Honestly I would've never noticed that was Brain singing with Geordie if I hadn't known it beforehand.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
https://t.co/BrzGwNrbmw?amp=1

Snippet of new single Demon Fire.

Riff is pretty cool but the chorus is literally A D and G again  :yarr

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2020, 02:49:10 PM »
https://t.co/BrzGwNrbmw?amp=1

Snippet of new single Demon Fire.

Riff is pretty cool but the chorus is literally A D and G again  :yarr

So?

I'll be honest, I've openly complained that certain bands just repeat themselves a lot recently. Amaranthe, Kamelot, etc. But I complain because they also constantly say how they're pushing the boundaries of their sound on every album and always changing things. But they're not. It's annoying.

But ACDC? I think they've been pretty open about what they do. Not sure why it's an issue. It's like complaining that Metallica chugs on E (or Eb)...obviously. They're Metallica. They've never said they're going to do anything else.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2020, 02:51:27 PM »
I find it odd that, in the year 2020, someone's irritated by AC/DC repeating themselves. They've been at it for four decades now. We all know what to expect.

Shot in the dark is prety great, bring on the album.  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2020, 02:58:24 PM »
I'll give the album a listen sure.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2020, 03:13:03 PM »
I feel like with some bands like AC/DC or Iron Maiden (just to name 2 examples) there's almost an understanding between the bands and the fans where the bands keep doing what they have always done and they don't try to make it sound like they are reinventing the wheel, and the fans in return find comfort in knowing what they are getting.

For me there are bands where I'm curious to see what they will do next and I almost expect a change with each album, but with some bands there's just something quaint about bands sticking to their sound.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2020, 04:27:54 PM »
When I do finally do my AC DC album discussion thread, I will get a little deeper into it. But even though there are similarities and a common sound, I find many of the albums to be very very different.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2020, 05:51:21 PM »
I don't fully mind if there's some lack of innovation in each of a band's albums (well, from a listening perspective, not an artistic one, but I doubt AC/DC claim to be profound artists), but I feel that there should at least be some sense of excitement if that's the case. Black Ice had a great sense of that (especially in songs like Anything Goes), & Rock Or Bust was alright for some songs, but the new singles just feel flat & boring to me. Maybe I've just been too overexposed to the band's sound growing up to care anymore (thanks dad :P), but like, I just cannot imagine them playing Shot In The Dark & the crowd going gaga over it like they would for Whole Lotta Rosie or Hell's Bells or You Shook Me All Night Long or For Those About To Rock. When there's not that excitement factor, & the compositions have very little to offer, it just makes me wonder what this is appealing to besides name recognition. :-\
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jammindude

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2020, 07:16:58 PM »
Once in awhile they really recapture something special. Stiff Upper Lip has aged better than I thought it would the last time I heard it. Meltdown IMO deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as many of the classics, but I can’t put my finger on why.

The problem is that the older albums are wall to wall classics. The newer albums tend to just have a few standouts with a few phoned in tracks. And then peoples collective nostalgia factor comes into play. We get pushed Hells Bells so often that everyone forgets what a fantastic song Nervous Shakedown is. But I would lay just as much blame at the feet of the Young brothers...who I imagine are mostly to blame for the static setlists.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2020, 07:29:04 PM »
Stiff Upper Lip has aged better than I thought it would the last time I heard it.

You mentioned this last week. I'm going to have to check that put once the UFO thread is done. I also want to revisit Black Ice, which I thought was excellent, though 3 or 4 songs too long.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2020, 07:33:49 PM »
Stiff Upper Lip has aged better than I thought it would the last time I heard it.

You mentioned this last week. I'm going to have to check that put once the UFO thread is done. I also want to revisit Black Ice, which I thought was excellent, though 3 or 4 songs too long.

Like most of the modern stuff, it has its duds. But I personally love the whole front half of the album, and Satellite Blues, Damned, and All Screwed Up aren’t bad either

EDIT -  hard to believe we are as far removed from that album as that album was from back in black when it came out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2020, 07:44:46 PM »
I've always been far removed from Stiff Upper Lip. :lol

But on your recommendation, I'm going to give it a spin.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2020, 07:47:41 AM »
I feel like with some bands like AC/DC or Iron Maiden (just to name 2 examples) there's almost an understanding between the bands and the fans where the bands keep doing what they have always done and they don't try to make it sound like they are reinventing the wheel, and the fans in return find comfort in knowing what they are getting.

For me there are bands where I'm curious to see what they will do next and I almost expect a change with each album, but with some bands there's just something quaint about bands sticking to their sound.

I vehemently disagree with that assessment of Iron Maiden.    AC/DC, yes, but not Iron Maiden.   Find me ONE SONG in the pre-reunion era that sounds like something off The Final Frontier. 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »

I vehemently disagree with that assessment of Iron Maiden.    AC/DC, yes, but not Iron Maiden.   Find me ONE SONG in the pre-reunion era that sounds like something off The Final Frontier.

I agree with your point, but I've always felt that The Alchemist was kind of a tribute to the Paul Di'Anno era (namely Purgatory).

But yeah, AC/DC & Iron Maiden aren't even in the same ballpark when it comes to recycling shit.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2020, 04:27:25 PM »

I agree with your point, but I've always felt that The Alchemist was kind of a tribute to the Paul Di'Anno era (namely Purgatory).

But yeah, AC/DC & Iron Maiden aren't even in the same ballpark when it comes to recycling shit.
Maiden is more about recycling their setlists but that's a diffrent topic.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2020, 08:27:39 PM »
WOW, I've never seen this before. Classic Footage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvFxTpnxk8s

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2020, 02:30:06 AM »
Awesome!

Just curious, did anyone here see AC/DC during the 70s with Bon?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2020, 10:51:25 PM »
I wanted to let everyone here know that I just found some cheap copies (they might be bootlegs, but whatever) of the Australian versions of High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, and Let There Be Rock. I already own the Australian album TNT, so this will complete my collection of all the early albums the way they were originally released.

They should be arriving about the same time as the release date on the new album. So right around that time, I am hoping to begin an album discussion thread beginning with the Australian version of High Voltage. Look for it in the next few weeks. Hope everyone can chime in.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2020, 12:05:36 AM »
I think all of the songs on our High Voltage were released officially over the years internationally, but having them all in one place as intended is definitely better.

Also, any copy of Dirty Deeds that doesn't contain Jailbreak should be considered defective. ;D

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2020, 12:26:20 AM »
I think all of the songs on our High Voltage were released officially over the years internationally, but having them all in one place as intended is definitely better.

Also, any copy of Dirty Deeds that doesn't contain Jailbreak should be considered defective. ;D

You're technically right, but Stick Around & Love Song have never been released on international High Voltage nor 74 Jailbreak. Instead, their international release was relegated to some 3CD compilation called Backtracks which wasn't released until 2009.

The regional differences are honestly really stupid. :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2020, 08:08:08 AM »

If I had known that there was an Aussie on board... I might’ve just arranged for some sort of mail in option. Just to make sure I was getting the real thing. As it is, these are coming from New York City, but they were only 15 bucks each which seems suspicious. most of the original Albert production Australian releases go for over $100 or sometimes more

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »

If I had known that there was an Aussie on board... I might’ve just arranged for some sort of mail in option. Just to make sure I was getting the real thing. As it is, these are coming from New York City, but they were only 15 bucks each which seems suspicious. most of the original Albert production Australian releases go for over $100 or sometimes more

CD or vinyl? 

I have the Backtracks set; there is a two-CD and a three-CD version.  The 3CD set not only has the songs we're talking about - Love Song and Stick Around - but also some of the released songs are in different versions.  Mostly length (fades versus hard endings) but there are some other differences. 

I'm not all in on some of the AC/DC releases (you have to buy the vinyl to get the deluxe 3CD version) but the material on that Backtracks set is ESSENTIAL, even the live stuff. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2020, 08:39:02 AM »
I picked them up on CD. But they are the original releases. For their price, I suspect they might be knock offs but we’ll see when they get here.

Like I said, I already found TNT as an import at a local CD shop. So I already had that one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2020, 08:43:32 AM »
I picked them up on CD. But they are the original releases. For their price, I suspect they might be knock offs but we’ll see when they get here.

Like I said, I already found TNT as an import at a local CD shop. So I already had that one.

I don't know about DD or TNT, but High Voltage was released on CD in Australia/New Zealand in the mid '90's.   

That's my favorite era of AC/DC.  I still have the HV, DD, and TNT originals on vinyl, even though I can't/don't play them.  I ripped Backtracks to my iPod and I probably listen to that as much or more than the main albums (I reordered the songs into the "albums", so I can dial up "High Voltage [Australian Version]" and hear it like I remember it. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2020, 07:56:30 PM »
They probably aren't any easier to find even over here anymore. At some point between Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice they reissued everything again and replaced the original releases here with the international versions. I remember buying Black Ice from a store in 2008, and those were all that was there.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2020, 09:09:21 AM »
They probably aren't any easier to find even over here anymore. At some point between Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice they reissued everything again and replaced the original releases here with the international versions. I remember buying Black Ice from a store in 2008, and those were all that was there.

Well the good news is that my CDs arrived yesterday and they are in fact the real deal! I couldn’t be happier! They are all the older (non-remastered) Albert CDs with the Australian versions of all the songs and they sound fantastic. I’m starting to wonder if the seller even knew what he had.

The one bummer is that a little bit of research caused me to discover that my version of TNT that I had found in a CD shop a couple of months ago was a newer remastered version, which has some extremely minor differences in the ending of Rocker and High Voltage. Namely, they used the international versions which fade out slightly earlier. I know this is almost completely insignificant, but I still decided to go hunting for an older version of TNT that uses the original versions. I found one used for 10 bucks and decided to go for it. How freakin OCD is that?  :rollin

That means the only studio albums that I don’t own a physical copy of are Flick of the Switch, Who Made Who, and Rock or Bust, all of which should be easy to find and have no alternative or rare versions. FOTS and WMW I’ve heard a kajillion times, but ROB and the new one will both be new to my ears when I go to do the album discussion.

And speaking of the new one, my limited edition is arriving on Monday. Which is a bit of a bummer considering that I did pre-order it, but at least it has shipped.