Author Topic: New AC/DC with almost Classic Line Up  (Read 8165 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: New AC/DC with almost Classic Line Up
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
Although I rarely wear them, I have no problem with earplugs.   To your point, I think bands have turned down a little bit; I've been to a couple shows now where it was actually pretty manageable. 

I'll give this to Mike:  most of his bands have excellent, balanced, reasonable venue sound.   The days of a blistering treble-fest at a show seems to be over.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2020, 04:40:49 AM »
Also - it's not specifically volume that does damage on its own - its way too much high end for long periods.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2020, 11:30:09 AM »
I love pumping some AC/DC in my car. It's groovy and you know what you get.  :metal

Excited for the new album.

Sidenote: It's also perfect music to play with my drumstudents because it's easy to find the beat and fun to play-along even if you're a beginner or more experienced.  :tup

Just don't get them to play along to Back In Black as they speed up so much in the chorus it's actually funny.
Yea I know but as long as they play with the music it's alright.  :)

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »
Never seen accdacca live, but the loudest band I have witnessed is Foreigner!
Yes that band best known for ballad and soft rockers, but in 1986 in Sydney they almost deafened me.
My ears were ringing for almost a month after and my hearing was never the same after.

I have also seen Manowar and Motorhead but Foreigner are still tops for my ear 'bleed'.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2020, 04:09:17 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNhn1KOqq8g

SHOT IN THE DARK

POWER UP

Realize
Rejection
Shot in the Dark
Through the Mists of Time
Kick You When You’re Down
Witch’s Spell
Demon Fire
Wild Reputation
No Man’s Land
Systems Down
Money Shot
Code Red

Not one 'rock' title to be seen !  ;D

Also - Brian Johnson confirmed that Malcolm's ideas appear - but he does not appear on the album himself.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2020, 06:01:42 AM »
That's a cool album cover.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2020, 06:03:19 AM »
Those song titles are very un - AC/DC. Apart from Money Shot  :biggrin:
The first two could be Pearl Jam and the rest a power metal album  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2020, 06:32:00 AM »

I'm hoping.... CONCEPT ALBUM!   This is AC/DC's "Music From... The Elder"!!!   :)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2020, 06:43:58 AM »
The first three songs are about a "dramatic turn of events": you realize something is wrong, you get rejected by society and this situation is like a shot in the dark.

Then the protagonist travels through the mists of time and finds himself in a strange and hostile lands, where they kick you when you're down and there are witches and demons. He eventually adapts, makes a wild reputation of himself and rules no mand's land.

The climax involves a technology system being down, money of course is always involved and it all ends with a Code Red - a cliffhanger which will lead in their next EP, which will contain a 21 minutes long song to wrap up the story  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2020, 06:48:08 AM »
Dude, you had me at "the first three songs".    I'm in!!!! 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2020, 07:06:36 AM »

I'm hoping.... CONCEPT ALBUM!   This is AC/DC's "Music From... The Elder"!!!   :)
It's music from FIVE Elders actually.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 07:25:08 AM »
Feels like 1980 again.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2020, 07:26:35 AM »
Feels like 1980 again.

and again. and again. and again.....etc...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2020, 08:22:03 AM »

It's music from FIVE Elders actually.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
This thread has inspired me to make a thread of how much I dislike Green Day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »
Is that aimed at me ? Cause I don't think I said I *HATE* AC/DC.

It was more about how every single album they do sounds the same.

If someone can point me in the direction of an AC/DC album that doesn't sound like Back In Black again i'll have a listen.

And I don't mean production. I mean just 12 more songs that could have been on any other album before or since.

I really like Rock N Roll Train. You Shook Me All night Long. Back in Black. Thunderstruck. Highway to Hell. There's probably more...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2020, 12:44:07 PM »
I say this respectfully, because I appreciate your position, but having said that, I also feel that anything that is sent will be "but that's the same".  High Voltage - either the US/UK version or the Australian version - doesn't sound anything like Back In Black.   Dirty Deeds; there's nothing like Ride On or Love At First Feel or Ain't No Fun... on Back In Black.   

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »
Is that aimed at me ? Cause I don't think I said I *HATE* AC/DC.

It was more about how every single album they do sounds the same.

If someone can point me in the direction of an AC/DC album that doesn't sound like Back In Black again i'll have a listen.

And I don't mean production. I mean just 12 more songs that could have been on any other album before or since.

I really like Rock N Roll Train. You Shook Me All night Long. Back in Black. Thunderstruck. Highway to Hell. There's probably more...

I never said "hate", and I don't even disagree with you. I just like teasing you. I still really dislike Green Day though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2020, 01:17:13 PM »
That's fair enough.

I don't make fun of people for their music tastes. Just the acts themselves.

I still think Green Day P*ss on the Offspring though :p

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2020, 03:27:17 PM »
That's fair enough.

I don't make fun of people for their music tastes. Just the acts themselves.

I still think Green Day P*ss on the Offspring though :p

I will end you.

I stopped following The Offspring after 2008, when they decided to move next door to Green Day in Sucksville, California.

I wish I could say even at their worst they're better than Green Day, but they've fallen so far that I can't anymore.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2020, 03:54:30 PM »
What Stadler said was very true. Many of the early albums in my opinion sound nothing like back in black.

Additionally, Rolling Stone had an article that said that Angus had pulled all of these songs from ideas he and Malcolm had had together and that Malcolm is getting song writing credit on every track of the album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2020, 06:02:35 PM »
I just heard the full track. A bit “safe”, but singles usually are.

Even though there are many songs I love post-Powerage, I have found myself wondering why Angus doesn’t “go off” a bit more and come up with some longer jams like they did in the old days. With as much as they disliked Mutt’s pushing them to be more commercial, I would have thought they would go back to the old song writing formula they had before him (at least once in awhile). But it’s been pretty much standard anthems for awhile now.

Kotowboy...do me a favor and go listen to Soul Stripper. If you like that, try Let There Be Rock. Those are about as different from BIB as TA is from TOT.

It’s funny to me that people think they always sound like BIB because to me that is an extremely different sounding album to my ears. When I hear early AC/DC (even HTH), I hear the greatest, loudest, rudest, barroom party band around. Think “beer drinkers and hell raisers” turned up to 11. But while HTH, feels like one last final party with your buddy before he says goodbye...BIB feels like visiting his grave on a rainy night and having a decaying hand shoot up from the ground and grab your leg at the stroke of midnight. Even with the party tracks, the entire album just has a more “sinister” feel to it. Like you’re now partying with Bon Scott’s corpse and it feels a little “creepy”

[laughs nervously] heh he....soooooooooo you’re back then! Hey that’s kinda...oh wait I can pick up that ear for you. No seriously it’s no trouble. Does that happen a lot? The body parts falling of thi....sorry you don’t want to talk about that....so uh...death huh? What a SOB, amirite??

And so on...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2020, 02:58:15 AM »
Weekend at Bonnies

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2020, 03:14:37 PM »

What Stadler said was very true. Many of the early albums in my opinion sound nothing like back in black.

Additionally, Rolling Stone had an article that said that Angus had pulled all of these songs from ideas he and Malcolm had had together and that Malcolm is getting song writing credit on every track of the album.

I'm not a big ACDC fan, but to me it's always seemed like it's just the post-Back in Black albums that sound kinda samey.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2020, 04:05:21 PM »
As a musician - I don't know how you write a song like Rock n Roll Train for example and not go " It's a bit Highway To Hell isn't it guys ? "

Offline jammindude

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2020, 04:06:33 PM »

I'm not a big ACDC fan, but to me it's always seemed like it's just the post-Back in Black albums that sound kinda samey.

With some mild variations, I agree. For those about to rock had a bit more of a bombastic production. Flick of the switch was obviously more stripped down. But they have kind of stuck to the verse and chorus set up ever since.

The older songs that I have cited previously are quite a bit different. not in a complete different style kind of way. But in song structure, yes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2020, 04:07:52 PM »
As a musician - I don't know how you write a song like Rock n Roll Train for example and not go " It's a bit Highway To Hell isn't it guys ? "

Yeah, that tends to be their schtick now. Did you happen to check out the older songs I suggested?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2020, 04:04:01 AM »
Not yet but I will. :)

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2020, 06:45:51 AM »
I enjoy AC/DC's music, but I'm always satiated by listening to AC/DC live. Never felt a particular pull to dive into their studio albums.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2020, 09:38:13 AM »

With some mild variations, I agree. For those about to rock had a bit more of a bombastic production. Flick of the switch was obviously more stripped down. But they have kind of stuck to the verse and chorus set up ever since.

The older songs that I have cited previously are quite a bit different. not in a complete different style kind of way. But in song structure, yes.

I'd push back slightly on that; "Blow Up Your Video" is a singular album.  I think some of the songs on that record have a different feel to them that goes beyond just the production.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »
I want to buy this just for the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0jN_fnZTNk
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »

I'd push back slightly on that; "Blow Up Your Video" is a singular album.  I think some of the songs on that record have a different feel to them that goes beyond just the production.

But of course, that was the the return of the Vanda & Young production team that had produced all the early albums.  Still can't figure out why they didn't stick with them since that album was initially considered quite a big comeback after the failure of Fly on the Wall. 

EDIT - Having said that, it still seems to be more "streamlined" than the early Vanda/Young albums.  But it is IMO probably the 2nd best if not THE best Brian Johnson album because of the return of Vanda/Young.   Just wish Phil would have come back around this time.  Not that Simon didn't do a great job.   But you could definitely tell that he tried to do something different with FOTW and it didn't work out, so the band told him to stick to just the groove and that's why I think he later decided he'd rather play with Dio. 

I want to buy this just for the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0jN_fnZTNk

I actually pre-ordered it.  Couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:06:01 PM by jammindude »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2020, 02:19:42 PM »
Thinking back on the different producers and sounds that AC/DC has had, made me reflect on the fact that Stiff Upper Lip has actually aged surprisingly well.    I had such high hopes for Ballbreaker (I usually like nearly anything Rick Rubin touches, and the Big Gun single really raised the bar of my expectations) but that album ultimately disappointed me.   But I think they really did work best when older brother George was turning the dials.   Too bad he also died around the same time as Malcolm. 

I really do like the new single...but I'm skeptical about the return of Brendan O'Brien.  I really didn't like Black Ice at all.  The sound was all wrong for AC/DC.   I honestly don't know how they recorded it, but it sounds like they have the band plugged directly into the board, and there's just something about the AC/DC sound where I feel like it is vital to let them plug into tube amps and set up mics.  Plugging into the board just kills it.   And I'm not sure that old sound is something that can be recreated by plugging into the board.  It just sounds too "clean" to be AC/DC.   

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2020, 09:32:29 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2020, 11:53:03 AM »
BJ looks great and for a 72 year old man, he has great energy and moves.