Author Topic: New AC/DC with almost Classic Line Up  (Read 8143 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: New AC/DC with almost Classic Line Up
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2020, 05:47:04 AM »
However I should mention that Big Gun from Last Action Hero is a major kick ass tune

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2020, 05:48:51 AM »
Flick Of The Switch has aged really well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2020, 07:50:32 AM »
I know Stadler is with me on this, but BUYV was the last album where I loved every song. I think at least part of the reason that album is so good is because they brought back Vanda/Young to produce for the first time since Powerage.

The Razor’s Edge has high highs, but some stinkers as well. Big Guns gave me extremely high hopes for working with Rubin...but Ballbreaker was a bust.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2020, 08:06:20 AM »
I think Blow Up Your Video is awesome. Maybe it’s due to the fact that you never really hear any of the songs anywhere and it’s kind of a forgotten AC/DC album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2020, 08:08:09 AM »
After For Those About To Rock, I'm pretty much okay with one or two songs per ACDC album. If that. Power Up is honestly the first ACDC album since FTATR that I really dig the whole record. BUYP has Heatseeker, but beyond that, I don't like it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »
BUYV is amazing.

Power Up, unfortunately, is not.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2020, 08:24:34 AM »
BUYV is amazing.

Power Up, unfortunately, is not.

God you are so backwards.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2020, 08:28:12 AM »
You bet it did.  :tup

I am starting to have a good time spinning the new album, actually. The first listen was a chore to get through. The second one was better, but I got a bit drowsy halfway through. However, on the third listen, I started to vibe with it. I am looking forward to giving it another go tomorrow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2020, 08:40:47 AM »
You bet it did.  :tup

I am starting to have a good time spinning the new album, actually. The first listen was a chore to get through. The second one was better, but I got a bit drowsy halfway through. However, on the third listen, I started to vibe with it. I am looking forward to giving it another go tomorrow.

My first listen was much better than the second. I couldn't brink myself to listen to it again last night, so I played Black Ice instead.

I'll give it another shot tonight though. I do like Trough the Mists Of Time and Demon Fire.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2020, 09:16:16 AM »
I'm all in on BUYV.   Top three AC/DC album for me.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2020, 09:29:48 AM »
However I should mention that Big Gun from Last Action Hero is a major kick ass tune

agreed  one of my favs   but 99% are my favs : )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »
Yeah, Razor's Edge was a return to form imo, their records after that were just solid.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
If Black Ice didn't exist, I'd be comfortable with pretending the band broke up after 1990.

Power Up does not challenge that opinion. :sadpanda:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2020, 05:09:04 PM »
Not going to quote people but just throwing out some opinions based on recent posts:

Razor's Edge has some of their best songs IMO, but there's only a few of them, it mostly just contains some of their most uninspired work.

I've always liked Flick of the Switch and thought it was underrated, but I never could get into the later 80's albums (Fly on the Wall or BUYV). BUYV is a very strong contender to be my least favourite Brian Johnson era album.

Ballbreaker I think is even more underrated, I actually like it quite a lot.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2020, 06:07:59 PM »
Not going to quote people but just throwing out some opinions based on recent posts:

Razor's Edge has some of their best songs IMO, but there's only a few of them, it mostly just contains some of their most uninspired work.

I've always liked Flick of the Switch and thought it was underrated, but I never could get into the later 80's albums (Fly on the Wall or BUYV). BUYV is a very strong contender to be my least favourite Brian Johnson era album.

Ballbreaker I think is even more underrated, I actually like it quite a lot.

I bolded the only thing I agree with. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2020, 06:14:21 PM »
Flick of the Switch is outstanding

Offline jammindude

« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2020, 09:47:18 PM »
 It will be interesting to revisit some of the stuff and see if my opinion changes on any of that. I actually really like Fly on the Wall.  The production is piss poor, but I think the songs are really strong.

I’m hoping with some of you guys will give these often overlooked albums another chance. But don’t everybody rush ahead. LOL

I’m even going to be listening to Ballbreaker with a fresh pair of ears (when we get to it) to see if I like it any better. I just remember having such high hopes for that album after hearing Big Guns. I totally thought it was going to be the next Back in Black because Rick Rubin had produced some of the best albums of the 80s and 90s, and has a reputation for getting older artists to return to their roots. That plus the return of Phil was a formula to top the success of TRE (even if that album itself was half baked). But I just didn’t get the final product I was hoping for from Ballbreaker.

Meh...We’ll talk about when we get that far.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2020, 05:33:17 AM »
Just curious, did anyone here see AC/DC during the 70s with Bon?

I did. They were a warm up band for someone else. I don't recall who...and I was pretty wasted...and I'm kinda forgetting things these days.

What I do recall was thinking that while they certainly rocked, the naked guy riding around on the school boy was just a novelty act.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »
Just listened to Power Up for the first time. Sounds like AC/DC  ;).

I liked it, Brian's sounding good, some cool riffs, overall it's solid, nothing groundbreaking (yeah, I know  :D) but enjoyable.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »
I preordered the special edition of the new AC/DC album over a month ago. The album came out last Friday and FedEx originally told me that I would receive it on Monday.  A little irritating, but understandable I guess.

But now, FedEx tracker is saying that my package left Staunton, VA last Wednesday, arrived in Kernersville, NC on Thursday, left NC on Friday, went to Swatara, then North Versailles, PA on Saturday, went through La Porte and arrived in Chicago, IL on Sunday, left Chicago and arrived in Maywood, IL yesterday, and today it went through Central City, NE and is currently residing in Laramie, WY. Oh....and they have no estimated time of arrival at all.

I think my new AC/DC album is having a more complete US tour than the band has ever had.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »
So tonight I listened to both Power Up (again) and Rock Or Bust. Somewhere along the line AC/DC forgot how to write a chorus. Repeating the song title four times does not make a chorus.

I think that's the problem with latter day AC/DC. Nothing is really memorable.

There are plenty of good riffs and verses on these albums, but they are all basically dead ends.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2020, 08:44:17 PM »
So tonight I listened to both Power Up (again) and Rock Or Bust. Somewhere along the line AC/DC forgot how to write a chorus. Repeating the song title four times does not make a chorus.

I think that's the problem with latter day AC/DC. Nothing is really memorable.

There are plenty of good riffs and verses on these albums, but they are all basically dead ends.

You still listen to Iron Maiden, right?  ;D :angel:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2020, 09:19:49 PM »
Repeating the song title four times does not make a chorus.

Ack, JD we had the same thought! We must be...... BLOOD BROTHERS!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2020, 09:46:50 PM »

Ack, JD we had the same thought! We must be...... BLOOD BROTHERS!

You mean  We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers We’re blood brothers

:rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2020, 03:45:14 AM »
 :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2020, 06:57:54 AM »
I preordered the special edition of the new AC/DC album over a month ago. The album came out last Friday and FedEx originally told me that I would receive it on Monday.  A little irritating, but understandable I guess.

But now, FedEx tracker is saying that my package left Staunton, VA last Wednesday, arrived in Kernersville, NC on Thursday, left NC on Friday, went to Swatara, then North Versailles, PA on Saturday, went through La Porte and arrived in Chicago, IL on Sunday, left Chicago and arrived in Maywood, IL yesterday, and today it went through Central City, NE and is currently residing in Laramie, WY. Oh....and they have no estimated time of arrival at all.

I think my new AC/DC album is having a more complete US tour than the band has ever had.

Shipping is whack; I'm having a hard time not thinking that it's just bad execution being blamed on COVID. I have a package coming from Germany that is now at 40 days, and I have a package from California that is now at 12 days.  Ridiculous.   You can (and we do) handle packages without impacting social distancing and other COVID precautions.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2020, 09:34:08 AM »
Today’s update!

It has made its way to Pocatello, ID!!

I’ve been there. My oldest son’s mom came from that area.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »

But it does. Why is repetition a bad thing? All music involves repetition, especially all forms of popular music, including rock. ACDC's entire brand of songwriting is repetition. Why is singing the title 4 times bad but playing the same god damn drum beat on every song is totally acceptable, or using the same three power chords for 12 songs every album like you're Old Man Green Day? If we're gonna rag on the words, we should be fair. With very few exceptions ACDC's been banging the same drum for 40 years.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2020, 09:50:27 AM »
And it's not new, not for AC/DC and not for other artists. If it works it works and if not, then not.

She's got the jack, she's got the jack, she's got the jack, she's got the jack ........... jack, jack, jack  ;)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2020, 09:53:17 AM »
Some repetition is pretty annoying, I'll agree. The worst offender ever is WE ROCK! imo.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »
Again, I'm suprised that AC/DC fans are bothered by the repetition. The band's been about that since the beginning. Dirty deeds, Problem child, Highway to hell, The Jack...

This is like complaining that AC/DC songs start with a riff or feature a 4/4 signature.

As far as the new album goes, Systems down has been in my head all day. Through the mist of time is another highlight, Realize is also turning out to be a grower, Shot in the dark is still powerful... I guess I won't throw this album away as soon as I thought I would on my first listen.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2020, 03:29:21 PM »
I think my biggest issue with Power Up is that almost every song is a mid-tempo tough-guy rock song that attempts to have some kind of swagger, but the band just doesn't seem to have the groove or the energy or even the infectious riffs to pull it off even once on this album like they did on, say, Skies On Fire - let alone 11 times (for every song except Demon Fire). I know it's cliché to say every AC/DC song sounds the same, & most of the time I disagree, but with Power Up it's really noticeable & it makes the album feel really tedious imo.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mladen

« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
I agree with that. I do miss a good attempt at a speedy rock number like Landslide, or at least Fire your guns.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2020, 03:36:16 PM »
Again, I'm suprised that AC/DC fans are bothered by the repetition. The band's been about that since the beginning. Dirty deeds, Problem child, Highway to hell, The Jack...

Yeah, you know after I typed that, I thought about it, and it's really not new for them. But there's something missing. Something not memorable.

I think my biggest issue with Power Up is that almost every song is a mid-tempo tough-guy rock song that attempts to have some kind of swagger, but the band just doesn't seem to have the groove or the energy or even the infectious riffs to pull it off even once on this album like they did on, say, Skies On Fire - let alone 11 times (for every song except Demon Fire). I know it's cliché to say every AC/DC song sounds the same, & most of the time I disagree, but with Power Up it's really noticeable & it makes the album feel really tedious imo.

I kind of agree.

The two songs that stand out to me as good are Through The Mists Of Time and Demon Fire. I also like Witches Brew.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2020, 10:31:27 PM »
LA GRANDE, OREGON!! The slow crawl continues.