Author Topic: New AC/DC with almost Classic Line Up  (Read 8152 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
New AC/DC with almost Classic Line Up
« on: October 02, 2020, 05:48:57 AM »
I'm not a fan but I appreciate how big they are.

But man, their new single sounds EXACTLY like you are expecting.

I don't know how they don't get tired of playing songs that all sound identical for 50 years...

Even the production. They're obviously doing it for the money now since Cliff had retired , Phil

was fired and Brian wasn't in the band either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKOlC8hNMZA&feature=emb_title   < - - - - - - - - - -

That could have been on any album from Back In Black onwards. . .

That and it looks like the classic line up bar Malcolm are back together. I wouldnt want to be in a band with

Phil Rudd myself. Constant drug offences and rumoured to have tried to have someone killed...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: New AC/DC with almost Classic Line Up
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 06:14:27 AM »
Jeeze, wonder why you even made the thread, almost sounds like you don't like ACDC  :lol I'm looking forward to this. ACDC rocks and is always fun.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 06:15:32 AM »
What a strange and mean spirited thread.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 06:20:22 AM »
Yeah, kind of a weird opening post but ah well  :lol

I'm no fan of the band at all, but if they should some live concerts in Vienna or anywhere near where I live, I'd probably go with a few friends, get drunk af and just party...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 06:31:36 AM »
I'm by no means an AC/DC fan/expert, my exposure has mostly come from my dad being a fan and what i've heard on the radio, but i don't really know much about the 'behind the scenes' so to speak. But from what i've heard, wasn't the origin for this album in particular that they had some leftover riffs from Malcolm Young? To me that feels more like trying to honor his memory and maybe going out with a last bang and having a send off album, and it doesn't sound like a 'lets put together an album quickly for some money' plan.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 07:02:46 AM »
They're an absolute cornerstone of heavy rock. All good luck to em, afaic.

But it's just a matter of taste regarding whether you think it's cool, right?

The song sounded of a good vibe and satisfying to me, from what you can tell by a short clip. Of course there's no surprises, they've been around forever, but they've been reasonably consistent in quality over their later years.

I'd put them in the middle of an arbitrary three-layer heavy-music-legacy-act club sandwich. Maiden right at the top - have nearly always been fantastic. ACDC in the middle - have been solid. And Metallica way down the bottom have almost completely sucked.

But all subjective opinion.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 08:01:48 AM »
I like a lot of AC/DC songs but I could never own a single album.

I've tried many time to get through an album. Gave Back In Black & Rock Or Bust & Black Ice a try..

But apart from the songs that everyone knows I couldn't get through them.

You'll never be disappointed if you're a fan - but you'll never be challenged either.

:)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 08:45:02 AM »
This is simply a matter of taste.  I'm a pretty hard core AC/DC fan, and have been since about '81.   I can tell you IMMEDIATELY a song that came from the High Voltage sessions and the Fly On The Wall sessions.  IMMEDIATELY.   The production IS different.   The playing between Mark Evan and Cliff Williams, or Phil Rudd and Simon Wright IS different.    No, you're not going to get a concept album on the perils and pitfalls of single-payer healthcare, but, like Kiss, the vibe and ethos is just different.

If it's not your thing, so be it, it's not your thing.   I listen to Radiohead and every song is drony whining, with an off-hand bash at America or whoever our President is at the time for good measure.  Drivel.  Worse, BORING drivel.  But I know full well, if I dug in, if I cared, if I wanted to understand the nuances, they are there.   I think it's a cheap shot at AC/DC to assume that "it's the same song over and over for 50 years". 

Me?  I'm fired up to hear Phil, Angus, Brian and Cliff back together again.  Assuming Phil can tour with them, I will go see that immediately (bring your earplugs, though). 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 08:52:55 AM »
Well at least we both despise Radiohead :lol

:hifive:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 08:54:24 AM »
Well at least we both despise Radiohead :lol

:hifive:

And I do.  I wasn't kidding a little bit.  :) 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 08:55:25 AM »
Kotow does that mean you haven't heard giant megahits like Money Talks or Who Made Who or Thunderstruck? Even Heatseeker? Those songs all rule. Back In Black is arguably the greatest hard rock album of all time, but Rock or Bust and Black Ice are them a little over the hill and don't offer much to anyone except committed fans. Do you like any of the Bon Scott era?

ACDC is easy to make fun of but they're low hanging fruit 99% of the time. They're just fun, easy to listen to and enjoy hard rock, and if you ever try learning their riffs on a guitar, they're REALLY fun. When I had an electric guitar, some of the most fun I had was just repeating classic ACDC riffs until I got them down clean.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 08:55:27 AM »
I really like Back In Black. You Shook Me All Night Long. Highway To Hell. Rock N Roll Train.

Probably some others.

But my love of Radiohead began and ended with The Bends.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »
I can't stand most Radiohead I've heard, except A Moon Shaped Pool which is  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 10:44:26 AM »
I know this is a thread for new Acka Dacka - but my love of Radiohead goes like this :

Pablo Honey 🤷🏼‍♂️

The Bends😍😍😍

Ok Computer 😊😊

Kid A 🤔

Amnesiac 🚪👈🏼

Hail To The Thief. In Rainbows. The King of Limbs. A Moon Shaped Pool etc etc etc 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 10:47:18 AM »
Dang, dude, I thought one of them died and one of them went to prison or something. I assumed "Rock or Bust" was the send-off. Kudos to them for pulling out another one.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 10:51:53 AM »
Dang, dude, I thought one of them died and one of them went to prison or something. I assumed "Rock or Bust" was the send-off. Kudos to them for pulling out another one.  :lol

One - Malcolm - did die, and as far as I can tell, he's still dead.  One - Phil Rudd - was charged with trying to have someone killed (not Malcolm) and suffering an alcohol/drug relapse.  Apparently he righted the ship.   If memory serves, he and Malcolm didn't always see eye-to-eye, so there may be some of that in here too.

I'm a big fan of Phil Rudd, so I think his return is as big as anything. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 02:50:48 PM »
If I remember correctly Phil Rudd was charged with trying to hire a killer to murder someone but he was never convicted. Instead he was sent to rehab after some more drug related scandals.

With AC/DC you know what you get and what you get is solid hard rock tunes. For something new and different I listen to other bands. I like the idea of putting out another record, probably as a swan song to end their career with a mostly classical line up.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 03:47:36 PM »
On top of what Stadler said, I would also add that I think there was a pretty dramatic shift in songwriting approach from Highway to Hell forward. Before mutt Lang came along, there used to be longer jams, extended intros, and multiple solo breaks. Soul Stripper, Let There Be Rock, and Riff Raff are good examples. Mutt Lange talked them into trimming the fat and sticking to the verse chorus format. Thunderstruck is the only modern day example of going back to the old formula that I can think of

EDIT - I also just remembered that Lange let them break from protocol for the title track of for those about to rock. But they also fought  with him a lot on that album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 04:15:28 PM »
I thought Some Sin For Nothing had a cool solo section. Seemed a bit elongated, Of course, that was Vanda And Young produced.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 05:16:26 PM »
I thought Some Sin For Nothing had a cool solo section. Seemed a bit elongated, Of course, that was Vanda And Young produced.

I love Blow Up Your Video so much. Totally underrated album. The mix is a bit echo-y...but it was the most classic sounding AC/DC album they did with Brian.

That album did actually sell pretty well. It had two hits and pulled them out of a slump. So I was a bit surprised they switched to Bruce Fairbain for Razors Edge. RE sounds better, but IMO had more duds than BUYV did.

EDIT - I really need to pull the trigger on an AC/DC album discussion series. Seems like there’s at least 4 or 5 people that would dig it, and that might attract some curious people.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 05:26:41 PM »
Razors Edge blows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 05:36:00 PM »
EDIT - I really need to pull the trigger on an AC/DC album discussion series. Seems like there’s at least 4 or 5 people that would dig it, and that might attract some curious people.

Yeah, that'd be great. I'd follow, even though you're ignoring the UFO thread! :P

I probably have another 4 weeks tops for that, so there you go. You got a month to get it ready! ;D

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 05:42:45 PM »

Yeah, that'd be great. I'd follow, even though you're ignoring the UFO thread! :P

I probably have another 4 weeks tops for that, so there you go. You got a month to get it ready! ;D

I usually follow things I’m already familiar with. Although, I admit that I have greatly been meaning to check out UFO.

A few people around these parts are aware of the fact that I have a fairly emotionally taxing personal life. Because of this, my participation in anything is usually either “all in” or “quiet wallflower” depending on what kind of week my wife is having. (The short version is that she has bipolar, PTSD, severe depression, and is considered handicapped due to extreme emotional trauma).

But I appreciate the nudge. I enjoy music so much that I look for any encouragement to participate in some thing that gets me away from everything. So maybe I’m gonna have to take some time this weekend and do a little catch-up on the UFO thread.

The problem is, I don’t own anything. But I suppose I could go digging for that box set that someone was mentioning that had the classic five or six albums in a slip board cover kind of thing. That’s how I got the early Kansas albums as well. You get them fairly cheap that way.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:04:10 PM by jammindude »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 06:01:00 PM »
I listened to the clip and it was exactly what I expected from AC/DC. I like them and ill be checking out the new stuff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 06:07:05 PM »
Tim blows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 06:07:38 PM »
Oh, and TAC, just so you’re aware. I actually HAVE been reading the UFO thread meticulously.  :angel: ;D Taking in what people think so I have a basis for when I finally dive in. I just haven’t said anything because I don’t own anything and subsequently haven’t heard anything.  :-[ :'(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 06:39:08 PM »
Oh, and TAC, just so you’re aware. I actually HAVE been reading the UFO thread meticulously.  :angel: ;D Taking in what people think so I have a basis for when I finally dive in. I just haven’t said anything because I don’t own anything and subsequently haven’t heard anything.  :-[ :'(

Well, that's why it's called a Listening Party. All album links are in the OP.

Michael Schenker rejoins UFO next week. It would be a great point to jump in!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 06:46:23 PM »
I am not a big ACDC guy, I own BiB and like most of the hits and love some of them, but have never taken a deep dive in to their catalog. They are one of a small handful of bands I wish I would have seen live when I could have easily done so, as the opportunity presented itself a couple times. I don't imagine a tour will follow if Brian had to cut out of the last one for health reasons. Glad Phil got his shit together apparently to get involved with the guys again.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 06:51:54 PM »
What’s funny is that I ran a music/video section at a department store from 96-00, and I got tons of promos in the process...many of which still sit in cardboard or paper sleeves, never having been listened to. One of those promos is Covenant. I will dig that out before the time comes so I have something to say.

But!!!

AC/DC!!!!

Carry on!!  ;D :angel:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 06:53:17 PM »
Covenant is fantastic!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2020, 07:18:47 PM »
I love pumping some AC/DC in my car. It's groovy and you know what you get.  :metal

Excited for the new album.

Sidenote: It's also perfect music to play with my drumstudents because it's easy to find the beat and fun to play-along even if you're a beginner or more experienced.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2020, 07:47:06 AM »
I am not a big ACDC guy, I own BiB and like most of the hits and love some of them, but have never taken a deep dive in to their catalog. They are one of a small handful of bands I wish I would have seen live when I could have easily done so, as the opportunity presented itself a couple times. I don't imagine a tour will follow if Brian had to cut out of the last one for health reasons. Glad Phil got his shit together apparently to get involved with the guys again.

LOUD.   By FAR the loudest concert I've ever been to, and I've seen Deep Purple twice, and Motorhead and Sabbath three times each. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2020, 09:16:27 AM »
I love pumping some AC/DC in my car. It's groovy and you know what you get.  :metal

Sidenote: It's also perfect music to play with my drumstudents because it's easy to find the beat and fun to play-along even if you're a beginner or more experienced.  :tup

Just don't get them to play along to Back In Black as they speed up so much in the chorus it's actually funny.

Quote from: Stadler
LOUD.   By FAR the loudest concert I've ever been to, and I've seen Deep Purple twice, and Motorhead and Sabbath three times each.

There's really no need to be deafeningly loud. At some point it just becomes white noise and only does damage.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2020, 09:19:47 AM »

Just don't get them to play along to Back In Black as they speed up so much in the chorus it's actually funny.

Quote from: Stadler

There's really no need to be deafeningly loud. At some point it just becomes white noise and only does damage.

I was 21 when I saw them, and in decent shape (I was still playing three sports fairly regularly) and the cannons in particular were so loud it hurt my chest.   I thought my heart was going to stop.  I took this girl from college I was into, and we spent the next day going "what?" to each other. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2020, 09:27:18 AM »
It's so stupid. I stopped going to concerts as I worry about it. Even with plugs you just don't know...

Still - if you put your plugs in as you arrive at the venue - by the time the headliner are finally on - you've gotten used to the feeling of them being in

and the music actually sounds better.

I would always use earplugs at the local jam night If i was drumming as - for some reason - it blocked out all the harsh sound and it actually made the cymbals

more clear in my ears. Only problem was - If I was on guitar for a few songs - with plugs in - I couldnt hear myself at all.