Author Topic: Borat Subsequent Moviefilm  (Read 4198 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
« on: October 01, 2020, 11:05:35 AM »

Much excite. I like!

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rsa4U8mqkw

I can't believe he pulled this off.

The scene in the first Borat where they were running naked through the hotel is without a doubt the hardest I ever laughed in a movie theater. I nearly fell out of my chair grasping for air.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 12:41:15 PM »
Very nice!

That trailer was great. Can't wait for this. The first Borat has a bunch of hilarious scenes.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »
You prefer I fist you or you fist me?   We fist each other.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 04:52:38 PM »
This reeks of desperation.

Sascha Baron Cohen's act got tired a LONG time ago. The Dictator was shit. Grimsby was even worse. The first Borat was the one good film he's ever done.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 11:37:11 AM »

Sascha Baron Cohen's act got tired a LONG time ago. The Dictator was shit. Grimsby was even worse. The first Borat was the one good film he's ever done.

We’ve discussed Borat before somewhere in this sub forum. I’ve never found the act funny. I think you either like it or hate it. There’s no in between. I think it’s annoying and a form of comedy that just doesn’t appeal to me. That’s just me though. Apparently some folks find it funny. My reaction to SBC is to want to hit hit with a Stop sign across the face.....not laugh.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 12:27:36 PM »
I know for me it's a VERY fine line.   It seems to veer from "just plain silly" (most of the Ali G stuff is here) to "silly, and I'm making fun of you, but it's all in good fun" (some of the Ali G and the early Borat stuff is here) to "I'm making fun of you because you're a stupid contemptable fuck and I'm superior to you, even though I'm wearing a flimsy lime-green singlet that barely covers my ballsac", sometimes even within the same bit.

I love the first category, I'm amused by the second, and I have no use whatsoever for the last category.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 01:12:07 PM »
I'm kind of the opposite of Gary. Most of it doesn't work for me, and a little of it is downright hysterical. Kind of like Seth Macfarlane. I do have to give the man credit, though. A lot of what he does takes real balls.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online faizoff

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 02:04:39 PM »
I loved Borat - the sketches. Same with Ali G and Bruno, those little bits I thought were hysterical when plugged in some situations. The movies however fell completely flat for me. I'll watch this second one but I really haven't been impressed much by any of his other movies he wrote.
I liked parts of his Who is America? series. some of them were downright hilarious.

He was great in Scorsese's Hugo though. That had a very nuanced comic yet serious flair to his character. I would rather see those kind of roles.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »
I genuinely thought Grimsby was the worst film I’ve ever seen.

Most of it was incredibly lazy.

Like “lol he should give his brother a blow job. How can we write that in?”

And then take the easiest route to get there.

The famous elephant scene wasn’t funny or shocking. It was pathetic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 12:48:17 PM »

Not sure it reeks of desperation, but I pretty much agree with the rest of what you are saying.  I LOVED the Ali G show on HBO, but Borat was the only movie that was decent, the rest had a funny scene or two but were pretty bad movies.  This trailer looks good and Borat was always my favorite of his characters.  I just can't believe he can even get away with doing it though.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 10:43:27 AM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 10:49:52 AM »
 :rollin

I didn't realize this was coming to Prime. I just canceled my Prime yesterday (I rarely order enough to justify it, and The Boys is over for now, so....) - I am a fool.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »
I'm guessing the gag order on reviews has been lifted if this got out.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/oct/21/rudy-giuliani-faces-questions-after-compromising-scene-in-new-borat-film

:lol

In the interest of fairness, Rudy's single. The girl was being the aggressor. Since she was posing as a journalist conducting an interview he could be reasonably certain she was over 17. It's funny because he's a scumbag, and certainly deserving of some embarrassment, but it's also kind of fucked up. It's also possible that he could take advantage of any number of state laws that likely exist to prevent people from surreptitiously filming others with an expectation of privacy. I wouldn't expect him to know about these things, but a competent lawyer might well be able to get some money out of SBC. Honestly, Rudy's biggest transgression here was being the sort of asshole that doesn't take his shades off to get it on with a pretty girl.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 02:22:23 PM »
I'm not a Rudy 2020 fan (I am a Rudy 2001 fan; I can't really name a public figure that has morphed so radically in that period of time), but the problematic thing for me is more meta; there will be 100,000's of people that will decide on this issue without ever seeing the film, without ever seeing the b-roll footage (because you know full well, SBC isn't interested in the parts that don't get a laugh, don't make Giuliani look like a pedophile, or both), or without ever doing a lick of research to see what's the what.   "Giuliani?  In a hotel with a 24-year-old who looks 15?  With his hand on his gloryhammer?  I'm in!"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »
Well, this certainly sounds interesting.  But if Rudy is single, it doesn't seem like a big issue other than just making him look bad which is all of SBC's victims.  What's funny is Rudy said he didn't fall for it, but I'm guessing he did or they will edit it to make it look like he obviously did.  I've got no real issue, he clearly must have signed something to allow himself to be filmed and recorded so once you sign on, it's on you IMO.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »
I'm not a Rudy 2020 fan (I am a Rudy 2001 fan; I can't really name a public figure that has morphed so radically in that period of time), but the problematic thing for me is more meta; there will be 100,000's of people that will decide on this issue without ever seeing the film, without ever seeing the b-roll footage (because you know full well, SBC isn't interested in the parts that don't get a laugh, don't make Giuliani look like a pedophile, or both), or without ever doing a lick of research to see what's the what.   "Giuliani?  In a hotel with a 24-year-old who looks 15?  With his hand on his gloryhammer? I'm in!"

I get a laugh every time I read this. Every single time.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 06:54:06 AM »
Well, this certainly sounds interesting.  But if Rudy is single, it doesn't seem like a big issue other than just making him look bad which is all of SBC's victims.  What's funny is Rudy said he didn't fall for it, but I'm guessing he did or they will edit it to make it look like he obviously did.  I've got no real issue, he clearly must have signed something to allow himself to be filmed and recorded so once you sign on, it's on you IMO.

Fair point that honestly hadn't occurred to me.  I agree with you on that one.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2020, 07:30:10 AM »
I'll be curious to see the movie, probably tomorrow night. It seems like some of the "omg Rudy's a pedo" initial reactions are misinformed and he had no reason to think she was 15 until SBC ran into the room yelling about it. I do think it's funny that his reaction is that he wasn't fooled by SBC... dude you ended up alone in a hotel room with the actress playing his daughter and your hand down your pants. What would constitute being fooled, only if you tried to take up Borat on his offer to sleep with him instead? At the end of the day though, any time spent discussing Rudy, or Trump's reaction (IT WAS A TUCK!) is time Trump isn't spending making up ground that he desperately needs to make up.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 07:41:35 AM »
It's not for this thread, but there's a bigger issue here, and that is the "bleed" of truth and fact with perception and impression.   It's time Trump is not focusing on what he should be, but it's also time that the citizenry is not focused on what IT should be, and that is digging into the people they are voting for/against (and the people around them).   I still think back to Tina Fey as Sarah Palin; she absolutely influenced the perception of Palin; she's no Rhodes Scholar, I'll give you that, but she's not nearly as stupid as Fey made her out to be (capstoned by the false "I can see Russia from my house!" idiocy).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 07:16:18 PM »
I'm half an hour into this and already have thoughts. No spoilers.

1. This film is really dark. Visually. The subtitles on the night scenes are blindingly bright as a result and the day scenes are distractingly dark.

2. The actress playing his daughter is amazing in her role.

3. I have been laughing my ass off the entire time.

EDIT: No spoilers again. I think this is far more consistently funny than the first movie. We'll have to see how it ages, but oh man i thought this was way better than the first movie. Loved it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 08:40:14 PM by The Walrus »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2020, 07:23:26 PM »
Saw Mike Portnoy enjoyed it, actually saw a few positive reviews.  I was going to watch regardless, but maybe I'll try to watch sooner than later.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2020, 05:51:41 AM »
I can't believe that the first Borat came out in 2006.

That seems WAY too long ago.

Like - what I was doing in my life in 2006 - doesn't seem to match up with that film coming out.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2020, 12:26:46 AM »
Just watched the new movie. I found some of it to be in bad taste and cringe worthy, but there were parts where I laughed out loud. I find it strange that most of the people Borat interacts with barely react to his outrageousness.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2020, 10:35:54 AM »
It's not as good as the first but a big reason is the legacy of the first one, the popularity of the Borat character and the 'reputation' and you can't repeat that in a sequel. It's funny in parts though and some scenes will give you a good chuckle but there's also some stuff that don't work, some easy jokes (like kicking in open doors) and some jokes that feel like leftover from the first film.

Offline H2

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2020, 10:54:08 AM »
I thought it was alright, but lost much of the charm of the original. We either got jokes/references that we've already heard before, or we got pranks. But the pranks felt quite a bit off and felt more "staged". In the first one, a legit low-budget camera crew followed him around, and all the non-actors thought he was for real. But what was the excuse this time around? You could tell that some people knew it was some kind of prank based on their reactions. And a lot of the "private conversations", such as between Borat and the black lady, or between Borat, the daughter, and the Christian family practice guy, or between Borat and the Republican guys he stayed with. We know these were not actually private, so why were they portrayed as such? Kinda took me out of it. And some of the acting from SBC was a bit off, I felt.

The fertility dance was exceedingly uncomfortable but IMO the best prank of the film, because as an audience we knew there was some excuse for the cameras being there, and the reactions of the innocent bystanders felt genuine.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2020, 11:05:39 AM »
To me it seems like " Hey remember my best loved character - heeee's baaack !! "

Because The Dictator and Grimsby were both FUCKING SHIT.

SBC is so so limited. Not as an actor - but he either does prank films like Borat or Bruno - or 100% unfunny peurile toilet humour lowest common denominator shit.

There's no in between. Unless he's a guest actor in something like Madagascar.

I'm really glad Rami Malek was Freddie Mercury - because I don't think SBC has the acting chops and would have turned Bohemian Rhapsody into a cheesy comedy.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2020, 01:24:11 PM »
I think his best stuff is when he catches people on video agreeing with his outrageous opinions or he gets them to go on some rant that makes them look foolish. I think at least in the original a lot of his 'making fun of XYZ' worked because it hit the nail on the head in terms of making fun of the people holding those views. So for me stuff from the first one when he says "you can barely see the horns" in regards to a jewish person makes me laugh not because I think jews have horns but because there's actually people who think that, and that's funny to me. But in this movie those same jokes about jews felt a bit dated because it's like 15 years since the first movie and we're still making those same jokes.

The worst parts for me though were the stuff concerning the plot which felt very scripted and acted compared to some of the other stuff. Even though I think the daughter was good and one of the highlights, some of the worst parts were still what they chose to do with her.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »
I liked Ali G when he was a character on The 11 o Clock Show...

But the Ali G movie was CRAP.

I loved the first Borat. Never saw Bruno. And I haven't enjoyed anything he's done since then...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2020, 07:45:40 AM »
To me it seems like " Hey remember my best loved character - heeee's baaack !! "

Because The Dictator and Grimsby were both FUCKING SHIT.

SBC is so so limited. Not as an actor - but he either does prank films like Borat or Bruno - or 100% unfunny peurile toilet humour lowest common denominator shit.

There's no in between. Unless he's a guest actor in something like Madagascar.

I'm really glad Rami Malek was Freddie Mercury - because I don't think SBC has the acting chops and would have turned Bohemian Rhapsody into a cheesy comedy.

Wasn't he good in Les Miz?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 07:47:04 AM »
I think his best stuff is when he catches people on video agreeing with his outrageous opinions or he gets them to go on some rant that makes them look foolish. I think at least in the original a lot of his 'making fun of XYZ' worked because it hit the nail on the head in terms of making fun of the people holding those views. So for me stuff from the first one when he says "you can barely see the horns" in regards to a jewish person makes me laugh not because I think jews have horns but because there's actually people who think that, and that's funny to me. But in this movie those same jokes about jews felt a bit dated because it's like 15 years since the first movie and we're still making those same jokes.

The worst parts for me though were the stuff concerning the plot which felt very scripted and acted compared to some of the other stuff. Even though I think the daughter was good and one of the highlights, some of the worst parts were still what they chose to do with her.

See, I think "making fun of people because they hold those views" is a slippery slope that I'd rather not go down.   The line as to what's worthy of being made fun of is a pretty tenuous one for me.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2020, 08:12:42 AM »

Wasn't he good in Les Miz?
[/quote]

I think so, also, he's great in the new Netflix movie "The Trial of the Chicago Seven".

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 10:18:42 AM »

For me it's a fine line and the key importance is letting those people make fun of themselves rather than laugh at them. He did another show that wasn't Borat a while ago where he met some gun crazy people from NRA (I believe) and he exaggerated his point of "We need to arm kids at an even younger age, at the age of 4 or 5" and you get these people agreeing to that clearly extreme view and that makes for some laughs. However, there's some scenes in Borat 2 where he goes to talk about abortion and one scene when he goes to talk to some jews and he's being very obnoxious to people who honestly seem pretty genuine. Whether it's an acted scene or not scripted, for me there is a difference of giving people the spotlight and have them embarrass themselves VS point and laugh at people.

See, I think "making fun of people because they hold those views" is a slippery slope that I'd rather not go down.   The line as to what's worthy of being made fun of is a pretty tenuous one for me.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2020, 11:33:04 AM »
I actually thought those scenes painted the Christian guy (abortion scene) and the Jewish women in an unbelievably positive light. SBC's role was the joke, not those people.

The Christian guy, man, hats off to that dude. The guy would not break, and despite the absurdity of the whole thing and how angry he probably was inside, his main prerogative above all else was just to get that baby delivered safely. And the Jewish ladies, scripted or not, was one of the most wholesome scenes I've seen in something in a loong time.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 11:38:00 AM »
I actually thought those scenes painted the Christian guy (abortion scene) and the Jewish women in an unbelievably positive light. SBC's role was the joke, not those people.

The Christian guy, man, hats off to that dude. The guy would not break, and despite the absurdity of the whole thing and how angry he probably was inside, his main prerogative above all else was just to get that baby delivered safely. And the Jewish ladies, scripted or not, was one of the most wholesome scenes I've seen in something in a loong time.

See those scenes didn't work for me because he's being a dick to nice people. It would be like if he dressed up like Adolf Hitler and strolled into some WW2 "lets celebrate our heroes" memorial. But I guess some people might find something fun in it. :p

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »
I came for the laughs but stayed for the wholesome reactions