Author Topic: Denis Villeneuve thread (Blade runner, arrival, Dune, Sicario)  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Just wanted to make a thread to one of my favorite contemporary directors Denis Villeneuve. Director of such films as:

I find his work not only thought provoking, but visually stunning. A fantastic combination . He's currently working on a new version of Dune which should be out fall 2020 and I can't wait to see what he brings to the table.

Anyone else like this guy? 

Offline faizoff

Re: Denis Villeneuve thread (Blade runner, arrival, Dune, Sicario)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »
Love the guy and am kicking myself for not seeing any of his movies in the theater. All of them are so visually pleasing and the sound design is fantastic as well. I own almost all his movies on bluray. Not only is his shooting style amazing, all his movies have a very compelling story that unravels so well.

I haven't read the Dune book or seen the Lynch adaptation so I'm very curious to see his take on this movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
Hands down my favorite director. I was so excited for BR2049 mostly because of my familiarity with his prior work: Arrival, Prisoners, Enemy, Sicaro, Incendies, Polytechnique. All amazing films. He really knows how to do sci-fi well with Arrival and BR2049. So excited for Dune.

To this day, BR2049 in IMAX was the best cinematic experience I've ever had.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »
They're remaking Dune????  SWEET!!!!!!!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »
He's great, I agree. Prisoners is probably my favourite of his.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
First Dune Trailer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 08:34:18 PM »
Trailer for Dune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4

I was gonna see it regardless, but it looks solid.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 08:39:19 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 08:41:10 PM »
Was gonna post that, wasn't sure if there was a dedicated thread for it. Looked alright, same type of trailer I've seen of every single action/sci-fi/adventure movie over the past 20 years.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 09:27:26 PM »
I was really hoping to see this in theaters but it doesn't look like it's happening for me. I'm not comfortable going to a theater just yet. But I have full faith in Denis and his direction. None of his movies have been disappointing.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 10:32:08 AM »
Yeah unless the situation with Covid gets worse in my country, I'm seeing this in a theater. This looks really promising.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »
I’m almost ashamed to admit I’ve never read Dune and haven’t seen any of the original adapted for TV/movie stuff.

So I’ll be going in to this with no preconceptions. Looks awesome though.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 01:32:08 PM »
I’m almost ashamed to admit I’ve never read Dune and haven’t seen any of the original adapted for TV/movie stuff.

I haven't either. The only thing I know about Dune is that Iron Maiden have a song about it lol.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 01:34:21 PM »
I found the trailer pretty uninspiring, but I've been very impressed by Villeneuve in general and trust that this trailer was just cut to make the film look like much more of an action-scifi-young-attractive-people-romance than the actual film is going to be. At the very least, I liked hearing 'Fear is the mind-killer.'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 02:45:40 PM »
For those that haven’t read it, it’s basically a jihad “how to” manual. But it’s been an unchanged sci-fi classic since 1965. Looking at it now, it’s almost prophetic of...maybe not Bin Laden himself, but a Bin Laden-like character.

The thing is, it was written long before any of that happened and I have a feeling that those who are unfamiliar with the story may find it politically divisive...while those who have known the story for decades will say it’s just a story that’s been circulating in our culture for 55 years.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 03:59:27 PM »
I’m actually taking some time out to rewatch the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries from 2000. Haven’t watched it in ages.

You have to be prepared for ST:TNG S1 level special effects, but the acting is really good and the storyline is more faithful to the book than the David Lynch movie
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 09:57:05 AM »
I found the trailer pretty uninspiring,
THIS trailer????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t7utI9yrsA

I'm the opposite, I found it leaving me very hopeful and definitely whetted my appetite.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 02:17:12 AM »
Blade Runner 2049 was better than the original. Don't @ me.

Loved Arrival too.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 07:16:45 AM »
Loved Arrival too.

Love the fact as smart and intelligent as that film is (or thinks it is) it ultimately uses the same time travel trick as Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure - The concept that when you’re painted into a corner in the present, you simply make a mental note to parachute in help from your future selves.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 08:17:18 AM »
Love the guy and am kicking myself for not seeing any of his movies in the theater. All of them are so visually pleasing and the sound design is fantastic as well. I own almost all his movies on bluray. Not only is his shooting style amazing, all his movies have a very compelling story that unravels so well.

I haven't read the Dune book or seen the Lynch adaptation so I'm very curious to see his take on this movie.

This. 'Arrival' is my favoite sci-film of the past decade...Bladerunner 2049 is right behind it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 09:10:37 AM »
I mostly do my media viewing on my PC and upgraded to a 4k monitor so been binging all the 4k Blu-rays that I've accumulated. Add to that I got the Dolby Atmos codec on Windows 10 even though I don't have a Dolby physical component it still enhances the sound and makes it sound amazing.

I watched Sicario on 4k with Dolby Atmos 7.1 downmixed to my high end headphones and it was such a joy to experience. Even though it's not a big screen like the theater but it was a joy from start to finish. I friggin love Josh Brolin in Sicario. His laid back yet serious get shit done attitude was perfectly portrayed. Denis' movies are always crafted so tight and Sicario is probably the tightest one of them all in terms of pacing, editing, cinematography, sound design and soundtrack.

I have the rest of his movies on bluray and not 4k and will have to upgrade those down the line.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2020, 09:29:38 AM »
Loved Arrival too.

Love the fact as smart and intelligent as that film is (or thinks it is) it ultimately uses the same time travel trick as Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure - The concept that when you’re painted into a corner in the present, you simply make a mental note to parachute in help from your future selves.

I don't remember the time travel element in Arrival tbf.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 09:30:47 AM »
Loved Arrival too.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's it's similar to Bill and Ted. If anything, it's similar to the end of the Watchmen series. No actual time travel used.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 09:36:20 AM »
Agree it may have looked like there was time travel, in reality, they just showed the timeline in a non-linear sequence.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 11:21:06 AM »
Loved Arrival too.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's it's similar to Bill and Ted. If anything, it's similar to the end of the Watchmen series. No actual time travel used.

I'm pretty sure she used information gained by her future self to stop the general starting firing upon the alien ship.  Obviously she didn't use a time machine, her 'time travel' was reprecented more as a mental power - spiritual, 3th eye opening, time is cylindrical type way, learnt from the alien language.   I wasn't dissing the film, I liked it - it just amused me to see a similar logic as B&T!