Poll

70's Yes vs. 70's Pink Floyd?

Yes
24 (42.9%)
Pink Floyd
32 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: 70's Yes vs. 70's Pink Floyd?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline WildRanger

70's Yes vs. 70's Pink Floyd?
« on: September 30, 2020, 07:51:02 AM »
Who would get your vote here and why?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: 70's Yes vs. 70's Pink Floyd?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 07:53:15 AM »
Yes, because of greater technical difficulty and sophistication.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 07:56:38 AM »
Pink Floyd. That stretch of album between Meddle (1971) and The Wall (1979) is brilliant.

While I only listen to The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close To The Edge. Can't get into the other stuff besides Drama.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 08:36:45 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
I just do not enjoy Pink Floyd. I have Animals and Wish You Were Here but just find them both really boring. I’ve heard Dark Side many times, and it’s actually pretty cool, but I’ve never felt the need to own it. I also have The Division Bell which is really fantastic, but we’re not talking about 90s PF and I don’t think many PF fans really consider that a PF album.

As far as 70s Yes, I have Fragile, Close to the Edge, and Relayer, and I think all three are amazing. I’ve kind of dragged my feat on getting more Yes albums though (I also have 90813 which is also amazing but not 70s). For whatever reason, I feel like I have about the right amount of Yes in my life. I’m sure some day I’ll get more though.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »
I absolutely love both bands, so this took a while. But I had to go with Yes. Both bands have released masterpieces during the 70s, but I find myself coming back to Tales and Relayer more often than to Wish You Were Here and Animals.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 08:34:13 AM »
Pink Floyd.

I like Yes a lot and respect their ability, but Pink Floyd takes me to another dimension. Particularly Wish you were here which may be my favorite album ever made.

I love Dark side of the moon and Echoes from their 70's catalogue as well. Animals is a great listen too.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »
I.....I....I don't know if I can pick one.....uhhhh.....................................
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 09:20:10 AM »
I just do not enjoy Pink Floyd. I have Animals and Wish You Were Here but just find them both really boring. I’ve heard Dark Side many times, and it’s actually pretty cool, but I’ve never felt the need to own it. I also have The Division Bell which is really fantastic, but we’re not talking about 90s PF and I don’t think many PF fans really consider that a PF album.

As far as 70s Yes, I have Fragile, Close to the Edge, and Relayer, and I think all three are amazing. I’ve kind of dragged my feat on getting more Yes albums though (I also have 90813 which is also amazing but not 70s). For whatever reason, I feel like I have about the right amount of Yes in my life. I’m sure some day I’ll get more though.

Pro-tip:  "Going For The One".  It's my favorite album of all time, by any band, and while I'm aware that it's "taste" and that doesn't mean you'll like it, there are elements on there that are sort of crystalized versions of things you already say you like (the rock part of Fragile, the acoustic/orchestral part of Close To The Edge, the tone and separation of Relayer). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 09:21:39 AM »
For me, it's Yes, but only because of history (I was into Yes first, and deeper).   This is apples and oranges, though.  I know they are (nominally) both "prog", but I don't see them that way at all.  Yes is a rock band, and Floyd is a mood/atmosphere band.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 10:03:17 AM »
Not even a question for me.

I'll say that Yes is superior in every way imaginable, but the reality is that I have relatively little familiarity with Floyd because everything I have heard is boring AF, and I have zero desire to explore further.

Yours Is No Disgrace
Starship Trooper
Roundabout
Heart of the Sunrise
Close to the Edge
And You and I
The Revealing Science of God
Ritual
The Gates of Delirium
Awaken
Onward

I could go on and on.

Floyd has...umm..."hey teacher, leave them kids alone."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »
Man, the Floyd disrespect in this thread is too much. :lol

Pink Floyd is literally the only 70s band I've really been able to get into. Wish You Were Here is one of the best progressive rock albums ever. Dark Side Of The Moon and Animals are also classics and still hold up just fine today.

My opinion on Yes is pretty much the same as any other classic prog band, Pink Floyd aside. Nothing but respect for them and the influence they've had on music, but just not really my thing.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 10:19:30 AM »
They're both pretty good.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 10:47:23 AM »
They're both pretty great.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline NoFred

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 10:54:21 AM »
The one that wrote Echoes.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 11:03:14 AM »
Yes had 8 albums in the 70s (TYA, Fragile, CTTE, TFTO, Relayer, GFTO, Tormato, and Drama), while Pink Floyd only had 7 (AHM, Meddle, OBC, TDSOTM, WYWH, Animals, and The Wall). While both feature some popular and divisive albums, as well as double-length concept albums, I feel like I must give the edge to Yes. Sure, Pink Floyd had some greater radio hits during this period, but Yes just connects with me more consistently, despite the line-up changes from album to album, their music just suits me a bit more than most of what Pink Floyd released (especially with some of AHM and Meddle, and most of OBC).

This isn't to say that I dislike this period of Pink Floyd, not at all, but Yes just ticks my boxes a bit more than PF does during their 70s heyday.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 11:04:07 AM »
Literally impossible to choose.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 11:52:07 AM »
I think Yes is the better band but Pink Floyd carries more of a cultural importance. As much as I respect and enjoy the classic PF albums I think Yes has made better prog rock.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »

Pink Floyd is literally the only 70s band I've really been able to get into. Wish You Were Here is one of the best progressive rock albums ever. Dark Side Of The Moon and Animals are also classics and still hold up just fine today.

My opinion on Yes is pretty much the same as any other classic prog band, Pink Floyd aside. Nothing but respect for them and the influence they've had on music, but just not really my thing.
All of this.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »
I love Yes, but this has to be Floyd.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 12:21:09 PM »
Yes had 8 albums in the 70s (Time and a Word, TYA, Fragile, CTTE, TFTO, Relayer, GFTO, and Tormato, and Drama), while Pink Floyd only had 7 (AHM, Meddle, OBC, TDSOTM, WYWH, Animals, and The Wall).

FTFY

Time and a Word was released in July 1970, and Drama was released in August 1980.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 12:29:25 PM »
Yes had 8 albums in the 70s (Time and a Word, TYA, Fragile, CTTE, TFTO, Relayer, GFTO, and Tormato, and Drama), while Pink Floyd only had 7 (AHM, Meddle, OBC, TDSOTM, WYWH, Animals, and The Wall).

FTFY

Time and a Word was released in July 1970, and Drama was released in August 1980.

Ahh, d'oh. :facepalm: Thanks for that. I just associate Drama with the band's 70s heyday, and for some reason, I thought TAAW was released in 69.

Either way, with the Yes run of YAAW-Tormato, I'd still pick Yes over Pink Floyd

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
Love both but Floyd for me. They're my all time favorite band. Both are in my top 5 all time.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Dogs and Awaken are 3 of the best songs ever written and would be in my top 5 songs all time.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »

I'll say that Yes is superior in every way imaginable, but the reality is that I have relatively little familiarity with Floyd because everything I have heard is boring AF, and I have zero desire to explore further.

Who is a superior guitarist: Howe or Gilmour?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 12:52:12 PM »
Pink Floyd, by a hair. I think Tormato made Yes lose the poll for me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 01:34:38 PM »
Certainly a tough call, but if Drama is out (1980) then I'm going with Pink Floyd. The stretch from Meddle to Animals is a better run that what Yes had, and to me there was just more substance to Floyd's output. Particularly once Waters kind of became The Man, there was meaning to what they were doing. Yes just seemed to be about weird streams of consciousness meshing with Roger Deen's trippy artwork. Floyd actually had something to say.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 01:40:45 PM »

Kind of an odd question.  Superior at what?  They are quite different guitarists.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »
Yes, because of greater technical difficulty and sophistication.

I honestly can't tell (due to the nature of this thread, whether this is a joke answer or not :lol

Does it matter?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »

It sounds like I enjoy more 70s prog than you but otherwise I agree with everything you said. Pink Floyd easily.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 03:22:41 PM »

FTFY

Ahh, d'oh. :facepalm: Thanks for that. I just associate Drama with the band's 70s heyday, and for some reason, I thought TAAW was released in 69.

When I made the list I put in my initial response, I included Machine Messiah but then though, "hmmm...is that really a 70s song?" so I checked.  I didn't even think about TAAW, but like I said, this isn't even close for me.

Kind of a silly question to ask of someone who admittedly has "relatively little familiarity with Floyd," don'tcha think?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 08:31:07 PM »
For as much as I got in to classic rock from the 70s when I was in high school and college, Yes never did much for me. I owned Yessongs, and played it occasionally, but the songs I heard ALL THE TIME on classic rock radio were unappealing and I never dug much deeper.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2020, 10:19:35 PM »
seems like a Push for me. if Drama were included,Yes would take this, but it's really neck-and-neck.

Factoring in live albums, I still might have to lean to Yes as Floyd doesn't have anything as good as Yessongs for me (Pompeii is nice, but not the epic sprawling trip that Yessongs takes on).

Yes
Relayer
Fragile
The Yes Album
Tales
Close to the Edge

Floyd
Animals
Atom Heart Mother
Obscured By Clouds
Wish You Were Here
Meddle

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 11:02:15 PM »
Yes never did anything that interested me in the slightest.  That isn't a knock on them.  But I'm just not interested in them at all.  Not a single song.

Floyd is all over the place for me.  They have songs that I don't care for, songs I like well enough, and songs I REALLY love.  I love enough of their material to consider myself a fan, so Floyd easily.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2020, 12:19:04 AM »
Floyd easily.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2020, 03:38:52 AM »
On the one hand: The Great Gig In The Sky.

On the other hand: Craving penetrations offer links with the self instructor's sharp and tender love as we took to the air, a picture of distance Dawn of our power we amuse redescending as fast as misused expression as only to teach love as to reveal passion chasing late into corners.

So yeah, Pink Floyd, no contest.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2020, 04:01:14 AM »
On the one hand: The Great Gig In The Sky.

On the other hand: Craving penetrations offer links with the self instructor's sharp and tender love as we took to the air, a picture of distance Dawn of our power we amuse redescending as fast as misused expression as only to teach love as to reveal passion chasing late into corners.

So yeah, Pink Floyd, no contest.

I read that in Jon Anderson's voice  :biggrin: Honestly, I think this intro is magnificent.

Also, when I think about Yes in the 70s, I think about T&AW up to Drama. For me, Drama is much more a 70s album than an 80s album. Same with Duke by Genesis.
any rock can be made to roll