Author Topic: Home Security Cameras  (Read 1272 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Home Security Cameras
« on: September 27, 2020, 09:11:42 AM »
I am in the market for a home security system and am looking for recommendations. I was targeting RING but I am not married to any single product. Right now, I am mainly interested in outdoor security but that could change. I am also interested if you installed it yourself, how easy was the install and did you hardwire the system into electrical etc....

Thanks in advance!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Home Security Cameras
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 08:15:27 AM »
I am in the market for a home security system and am looking for recommendations. I was targeting RING but I am not married to any single product. Right now, I am mainly interested in outdoor security but that could change. I am also interested if you installed it yourself, how easy was the install and did you hardwire the system into electrical etc....

Thanks in advance!

I use BLINK. They're wireless and it's a really simple set up. You can add to the system (I Believe it's up to 10 Cameras) and they're very discreet.....they don't stick out at all. The batteries last three years and that's no joke. I still haven't replaced mine. Now, it depends on how often your camera is going off but I have (5) outdoor cameras and (4) indoor and have them scheduled to record on a regular basis.

I'd check those out for sure. There are a few good ones out there.....I know my in laws use Arlo and they like them. But these BLINK that I have were really easy to set up and they do the trick.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:10:51 AM »
Thanks for the input!

A few questions that I can't seem to find the answers:

How much is the monthly fee?
Is there a central hub unit or are they independent?
Did you have to extend your WIFI router? (I take it that the units hookup to WIFI)
And are the units contacting the mothership (Amazon)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 11:22:15 AM »
I have two RING devices, and I have no monitoring service other than my eyes on my phone.   I suppose there is the security risk of having that be connected through wi-fi (there's irony for you, boys and girls) but it does what we need it to do:  we know if someone is lurking around, we know who comes to our door, and I get to scare the crap out of my kids by talking through the RING when they're putting their key in the door. 

(FYI, the devices record, and for $3.00/month/device, I can save and download the video.)

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »
Thanks for the input!

A few questions that I can't seem to find the answers:

How much is the monthly fee?
Is there a central hub unit or are they independent?
Did you have to extend your WIFI router? (I take it that the units hookup to WIFI)
And are the units contacting the mothership (Amazon)

How much is the monthly fee?  No monthly fee. You purchase them and they're yours
Is there a central hub unit or are they independent?   There is. It plugs in to a normal wall power outlet. You 'add' your cameras to that hub
Did you have to extend your WIFI router? (I take it that the units hookup to WIFI)  You connect your main hub to your wifi.....then connect the cameras to the hub and they feed off of that
And are the units contacting the mothership (Amazon)   It's stated that they do not but hey.....it's freaking Amazon so who knows. None of my indoor cameras are covering any areas I don't want anyone I don't know seeing. They cover the main three spots my kids gather and a basement entrance.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
If you use Ring, assume that a couple of thousand Amazon employees will be able to monitor your cameras, both audio and visual. There have been lawsuits and congressional inquiries about snooping, and every statement Amazon has ever made has been carefully worded to reference "unauthorized" monitoring, or "access to that data exceeded what was necessary for their job functions." Seems to me they're pretty much on the honor system. And while my first thought was just to install a second router to give it wifi without internet access, the devices are pretty much bricked without cloud access.

Also, if you don't care about Amazon goons snooping around, for Gods' sake set up a challenging password and two-factor authentication to keep the pervs out. They're probably a bigger threat than Amazon.

Moreover, I don't know if you have any regard for this or not, but also be aware that Ring is a massive surveillance clearing house for law enforcement. While most wouldn't care, the civil liberties part of me finds it rather repugnant.

Lastly, two adages apply here. A: If the product is free, you're the product. Amazon is getting something out of all of the cloud processing that goes into this. B: You don't own your information. Any surveillance picked up by Amazon belongs to them, and they're free to do whatever they wish with it.

edit: Oh, and since you did ask for options, it's certainly possible to assemble such a system yourself, which gives you all of the control and leaves the cloud access out of the equation. For a while I had webcams pointed at both of my doors which would send pics to my phone if any movement were detected. It'd take a little more effort than just ordering a package from Amazon, but it's hardly rocket surgery.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 01:16:35 PM »
El Barto - the points you made in your post are EXACTLY why I have yet to invest in a cloud based security system. Security has always been at the back of mind. It's why I don't have a smart speaker and conduct no financial business through my phone.
My needs are really for the outside and not the inside so I'm a little more comfortable if some rogue Amazon employee wants a picture of my Jeep. My motivation stems from sign stealing around my small town where the police won't even file a report if you don't have proof you had the sign in the first place.  That's actually a more disturbing thought than someone wanting to watch a coon trying to steal mouse poison from my driveway.

Also, I have over 25 years of experience in IT and I understand what I would need to do to bypass a cloud-based solution but I am at the age where I want convenience. I dunno but the points you bring up are valid!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 01:20:32 PM »
Regarding the Ring doorbell, it's like, you know, pretty much EVERY product you buy now that is in any way connected to "the cloud" which is really just another word for "the internet" you are going to be assuming a certain amount of exposure regardless of any safeguards you may think are protecting you like strong passwords and such.

That said, I probably could not possibly care less if someone from Amazon gets their rocks off by looking at my driveway through my ring doorbell, so yeah. 

But I wouldn't setup any interior stuff from a 3rd party I don't have complete control over, which is why I use this system to keep an eye on my property: Anran Security System

It's a 4-camera wifi enabled security system with an NVR that your cameras are connected to instead of the cloud.  It's your private network, no third parties involved.  You can expand the hard drive space on the NVR, I already added a much larger 8TB hard drive so I can store about 60 days of 24/7/365 monitoring.  I've already busted two punks from down the street vandalizing my yard decorations, which was exactly why we got the system.

If you're looking for a high-quality, sophisticated security system, this is not it.  But if you're looking for something that's pretty easy to setup and get working, this was less than $300 and I had everything up and running in about 90 minutes. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 05:55:38 PM »
Following, and was in fact going to start a thread about it myself.

My prelim research led me to look in to Arlo devices more. They seemed to have what I wanted, and didn't have what I didn't want.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 01:19:20 PM »
Right now - Blink is winning. What's attractive to me is the 2 year battery life which means I can go true wireless. I'm also looking at after market camera mounts which will give me camera angle options. The price seems reasonable too. I'm just trying to find out if I can download a video file on to my hard drive for permanent storage.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 05:40:06 PM »
Right now - Blink is winning. What's attractive to me is the 2 year battery life which means I can go true wireless. I'm also looking at after market camera mounts which will give me camera angle options. The price seems reasonable too. I'm just trying to find out if I can download a video file on to my hard drive for permanent storage.

I know you can send video clips via text or email if that helps. And the battery life thing is no joke. I thought it was BS and figured on replacing batteries a couple times a year. I bought mine in May of last year and haven’t touched them.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 12:44:22 PM »
I thought I would give an update in case anyone is interested.

I decided to go with the Blink product since I didn't want to wire anything and there is no monthly fee. I purchased the 3 outdoor units with the one indoor camera package. I also purchased the aftermarket hard case camera mounts which gives you better options for camera angles.

Ease of setup - Scary, as in scary easy! When you setup a camera, each camera has a bar code so after you download the app to your device, then you scan the camera and everything is registered and ready to go. Next, mount the camera (after putting the batteries in) and your done. You will get notified of any activity via motion sensor. I had the entire system up and running in about 45 minutes which included getting on a ladder and mounting the cameras.

Application - super easy and super intuitive to use. Each camera can be customized for motion sensitivity, night vision and a host of other things I haven't played around with yet. You can arm or disarm the system remotely.

Video quality - really good crisp and clear and the camera mounts I bought help repel the rain and keep the camera dry.

Downside - no real downsides except that it seems I can use my laptop (Windows 10) without an Android emulator. Maybe they have something but I haven't tried hard enough to look.

Overall, I would recommend this unit and will be expanding with a couple of more cameras. I'm still learning the system though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 01:01:22 PM »
Thank you for the update, I have been sitting on this decision for a long time, and appreciate the comments.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »
Yep. Blink is pretty easy and it’s easy to add cameras. The only real downside is Amazon/Bezos can probably access them anytime they want.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 03:18:08 PM »
Yep. Blink is pretty easy and it’s easy to add cameras. The only real downside is Amazon/Bezos can probably access them anytime they want.

I know - I feel like I've whored myself out to Skynet.  :omg:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 03:21:34 PM »

I don’t mind the trade off. It’s a great system if you don’t want to/can’t wire your house.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 04:40:32 PM »

Even if you do not sign up for their cloud service?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 08:14:17 AM »

Even if you do not sign up for their cloud service?

Yeah - I did not have sign up for anything - yet. I think there is a trial until the end of the year and then there's a 30.00 a year subscription.