Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 60939 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Round 2 results 3/3 (Send for R3!)
« Reply #875 on: October 26, 2020, 09:04:06 AM »
jingle.boy
Pink Floyd

First impression: I think I'm finally starting to "get" this band.

Final review: So, I have heard Pink Floyd’s music before. And contrary to jingle.boy’s humorous comment in his submission message, my mom did try to get me into them a couple years back with the albums Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. But even though it felt like music that I’d love, none of it really interested me. But now, after really listening to these songs, I think I’m finally starting to like this band. “Welcome to the Machine” is a very interesting song. I’m sure it’s about the music industry or expectations from society or something like that, but when I hear “Welcome, my son… Welcome to the machine”, combined with the almost eerie atmosphere, it feels like there’s just something very tragic about the song. Not that the song sounds depressing, though, but I guess what I’m saying is that I really like the opening lyrics. But even though I really like this song, it does have something that I don’t find particularly enjoyable about this band; the sound effects. At the end, there’s just a bunch of people talking and laughing. I imagine it makes sense in the song’s context, but I don’t really care for its inclusion. Similarly, in “Time”, the song starts out with clocks ticking, and then loud alarm clocks go off with bells clanging. I know, it’s called “Time”, but I’d prefer it if they didn’t use such an annoying sound. But that doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of the song, though. It’s a bit odd, though, it has this quiet and somewhat tribal atmosphere, but as soon as the lyrics come in, it’s all fun and upbeat. And then there’s “Comfortably Numb”, which is my favorite. I’ve heard that people love the guitar solos in this song, and while they are quite good… Honestly, I like everything else about the song more. It has a rather sad atmosphere to it, which makes sense considering the lyrics are rather sad, as well. It is such a pleasure to listen to, though. I’ll have to get into Pink Floyd’s discography now (at least for the albums represented here) and see what I think of the other songs now.

Sorrow - 7.75/10
Welcome to the Machine - 8.25/10
Time - 8/10
Comfortably Numb - 8.5/10

Roulette score: 8.1

Hmmm...   It's not my entry, and this sounds like excuses, but as someone who is a big Floyd fan, and who is actually in a Floyd mood right now (I listened to Live At Pompeii yesterday, as a matter of fact), I think that this is a hard band for a roulette.   

I hear you about the sound effects, but when you listen to Dark Side, Side One, in it's entirety, it's got a flow to it.  It BREATHES (pun intended), and part of it is that sound effect.  You start the album with a heartbeat and "Speak To Me", and move into "Breathe", which gives you a sort of two-sides-of-the-coin look at life.  And Roger, I think, opts for the cynical view (the second verse) where you're "digging holes" on your way to an early grave.  The subsequent pieces - "On The Run", "Time", "Money" - snapshot those things that can drive you mad while you're  busy "digging your holes".  The "On The Run" instrumental is a repetitive, electronic sequence putting to music the fear of travel, so much a part of the modern "rat race".  That ends abruptly with the clocks, and "Time" - the next level of stress takes over.  The clocks are supposed to be jarring, and are supposed to break you from the repetition of the previous piece (almost like when a clock "breaks" you from your sleep).

Similarly, everything on Wish You Were Here - the album from which Welcome To The Machine comes - means something.   The song is the second and last song on side one (the prior song is the first half of the "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" suite, about Syd Barrett, and my favorite Floyd song, period) and is meant to show how the music industry destroyed his friend, and, at that time, had started to fray the relationships of the other members of the band.  The "door" is symbolic of that transition from "the Crazy Diamond", with his naive psychedelic hopes and dreams, to the "machine" that is the music business.  I love love love how the entire song is a battle of sorts between Dave's organic acoustic guitar, and the electronic "washes" of Rick's synthesizers, which always seem to have the edge, don't they? On the album, that song ends side one, and side two starts with the equally critical (of the music business) "Have A Cigar?".   For the rest of you; anyone see the influence of "Welcome To The Machine" on "Machine Messiah", by Yes?

Floyd is notoriously hard to present as a singles/greatest hits band (even though the labels have tried!) and the band even released a joke-y set called "A Collection Of Great Dance Songs" by request of the label that had only six songs on it (one entirely re-recorded because their previous record co. wouldn't license the track).  I don't question your score - you have to score what you're given - but I think if you have any interest, I'm just saying you've only touched the tip of the iceberg. 

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #876 on: October 26, 2020, 09:32:16 AM »
I had this bizarre dream last night where I received my Round 3 submission from jingle.boy, and he ended up sending literally 587 pages of artists to choose from. And I think at the beginning of his message, he gave me three suggestions on what bands I should pick, and one suggestion was "Deep Purple", but he put it in this large, fancy font that I don't even think you could add on here.
Fortunately, when I got to his actual submission this morning, it wasn't anywhere near as insane as that.

Hmmm...   It's not my entry, and this sounds like excuses, but as someone who is a big Floyd fan, and who is actually in a Floyd mood right now (I listened to Live At Pompeii yesterday, as a matter of fact), I think that this is a hard band for a roulette.   

I hear you about the sound effects, but when you listen to Dark Side, Side One, in it's entirety, it's got a flow to it.  It BREATHES (pun intended), and part of it is that sound effect.  You start the album with a heartbeat and "Speak To Me", and move into "Breathe", which gives you a sort of two-sides-of-the-coin look at life.  And Roger, I think, opts for the cynical view (the second verse) where you're "digging holes" on your way to an early grave.  The subsequent pieces - "On The Run", "Time", "Money" - snapshot those things that can drive you mad while you're  busy "digging your holes".  The "On The Run" instrumental is a repetitive, electronic sequence putting to music the fear of travel, so much a part of the modern "rat race".  That ends abruptly with the clocks, and "Time" - the next level of stress takes over.  The clocks are supposed to be jarring, and are supposed to break you from the repetition of the previous piece (almost like when a clock "breaks" you from your sleep).

Similarly, everything on Wish You Were Here - the album from which Welcome To The Machine comes - means something.   The song is the second and last song on side one (the prior song is the first half of the "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" suite, about Syd Barrett, and my favorite Floyd song, period) and is meant to show how the music industry destroyed his friend, and, at that time, had started to fray the relationships of the other members of the band.  The "door" is symbolic of that transition from "the Crazy Diamond", with his naive psychedelic hopes and dreams, to the "machine" that is the music business.  I love love love how the entire song is a battle of sorts between Dave's organic acoustic guitar, and the electronic "washes" of Rick's synthesizers, which always seem to have the edge, don't they? On the album, that song ends side one, and side two starts with the equally critical (of the music business) "Have A Cigar?".   For the rest of you; anyone see the influence of "Welcome To The Machine" on "Machine Messiah", by Yes?

Floyd is notoriously hard to present as a singles/greatest hits band (even though the labels have tried!) and the band even released a joke-y set called "A Collection Of Great Dance Songs" by request of the label that had only six songs on it (one entirely re-recorded because their previous record co. wouldn't license the track).  I don't question your score - you have to score what you're given - but I think if you have any interest, I'm just saying you've only touched the tip of the iceberg. 

Very interesting stuff! I did always have the impression that Pink Floyd albums were very much albums to be listened through as a whole, rather than individually, although I do think Comfortably Numb does work as a single track. This is definitely a band that I want to explore more, just to see where it takes me.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #877 on: October 26, 2020, 09:48:46 AM »
I had this bizarre dream last night where I received my Round 3 submission from jingle.boy, and he ended up sending literally 587 pages of artists to choose from.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #878 on: October 26, 2020, 09:52:42 AM »
I had this bizarre dream last night where I received my Round 3 submission from jingle.boy, and he ended up sending literally 587 pages of artists to choose from.

:lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #879 on: October 26, 2020, 10:07:15 AM »
Aaaaaaaaand now I'm listening to Pink Floyd for the rest of the day, thanks Stads  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #880 on: October 26, 2020, 01:16:46 PM »

Chad, I have a terabyte of music you could borrow. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: October 26, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »
I think you missed the word "crap" somewhere in that sentence.  I'll let you figure out where.   :lol

I can also type in large font.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: October 26, 2020, 02:10:27 PM »
Again, I know your tastes. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #883 on: October 26, 2020, 02:28:58 PM »
So I've been listening to the Round 3 submissions, and after one song had a pleasant ending, I got scared by the next song because of how loud the intro was. Well, maybe my volume was just higher than I realized, but wow... That hasn't happened to me since I listened to BTBAM's Alaska or the first couple times.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #884 on: October 26, 2020, 02:42:36 PM »
So I've been listening to the Round 3 submissions, and after one song had a pleasant ending, I got scared by the next song because of how loud the intro was. Well, maybe my volume was just higher than I realized, but wow... That hasn't happened to me since I listened to BTBAM's Alaska or the first couple times.

Roboturner :lol :metal :metal :metal
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #885 on: October 26, 2020, 02:44:11 PM »

Roboturner :lol :metal :metal :metal

Yep! The start of that song is... certainly a way to start a song.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #886 on: October 26, 2020, 03:24:44 PM »
Yep! The start of that song is... certainly a way to start a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrFUT8s3PCg

Same energy. This came up on shuffle when I was dozing off once and woke me right up. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #887 on: October 26, 2020, 11:43:35 PM »
Question: Let's say that after the Round 5 results are all submitted, the top two participants end up having the same overall score. How should I do a tiebreaker?

It can be normal, simple, or utterly absurd (so long as it's an actual idea and not just a joke). I want to hear some ideas, whatever they may be.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 12:37:09 AM by Revenge319 »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #888 on: October 27, 2020, 01:21:32 AM »
Let's start the suggestions with a simple idea.  Just do a bonus round of list of songs from one more band.  Or maybe, they can also have the option picking bands that was already mentioned in this entire roulette, just use different songs.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #889 on: October 27, 2020, 03:32:17 AM »
Picking songs to send right now. You'll have it soon.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: October 27, 2020, 04:26:30 AM »
Question: Let's say that after the Round 5 results are all submitted, the top two participants end up having the same overall score. How should I do a tiebreaker?

It can be normal, simple, or utterly absurd (so long as it's an actual idea and not just a joke). I want to hear some ideas, whatever they may be.

EP or album round. Ask them to make an entire EP or album, same band or different bands, whatever you prefer. You'll have more music to enjoy and they will have fun putting it together.
Or, for the sake of simplicity, ask them to send a full album by a band.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #891 on: October 27, 2020, 05:28:36 AM »
Picking songs to send right now. You'll have it soon.

Sent. Really curious to your reaction to these. I really hope you'll enjoy!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #892 on: October 27, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »
I would do a theme round.  "Best song about a car".    "Best song about drugs that isn't literally about drugs".    Something like that.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: October 27, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
I would do a theme round.  "Best song about a car".    "Best song about drugs that isn't literally about drugs".    Something like that.

Best song to listen to while waiting for Sacul.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #894 on: October 27, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »
Let's start the suggestions with a simple idea.  Just do a bonus round of list of songs from one more band.  Or maybe, they can also have the option picking bands that was already mentioned in this entire roulette, just use different songs.

EP or album round. Ask them to make an entire EP or album, same band or different bands, whatever you prefer. You'll have more music to enjoy and they will have fun putting it together.
Or, for the sake of simplicity, ask them to send a full album by a band.

Interesting ideas so far!

Well, a few weeks ago, I remember playing "The Whirlwind" by Transatlantic one night, and it made my wait for dinner feel a lot shorter. Perhaps that song is a strong contender!  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: October 27, 2020, 02:06:48 PM »

I like this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #896 on: October 27, 2020, 02:22:56 PM »

I like this.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #897 on: October 27, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »
Alright, I'm starting to like this theme idea, too. Submit whatever ideas you might have in this thread, however normal or weird they are, and if there's a tie-breaker round at the end I'll put them all on a decision wheel and see what we get.

Also, unless I decide to binge the rest of my entire roulette playlist tonight, first impressions will be coming out sometime tomorrow.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #898 on: October 27, 2020, 02:33:09 PM »
My idea is that you let me score the results
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #899 on: October 27, 2020, 02:40:02 PM »

You know what? I am rather intrigued by this prospect. If I ever do another roulette again (which, I think doing this roulette was a really good idea, so I probably will), I will highly consider breaking a tie by having a spectator determine which participant sent what they consider the better submissions. Although I may have misinterpreted what you meant by that; if I did, please feel free to elaborate on what you meant by that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: October 27, 2020, 02:49:32 PM »
Take Kat's score and your nd make it the median.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #901 on: October 27, 2020, 07:27:38 PM »
I'm not playing in this roulette. And I just meant let me score the songs. 1/10 for everyone. I'm a cheeky ass.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #902 on: October 27, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »

You know what? I am rather intrigued by this prospect. If I ever do another roulette again (which, I think doing this roulette was a really good idea, so I probably will), I will highly consider breaking a tie by having a spectator determine which participant sent what they consider the better submissions. Although I may have misinterpreted what you meant by that; if I did, please feel free to elaborate on what you meant by that.

Something like that would never actually take place. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #903 on: October 28, 2020, 03:09:44 AM »
That would also kind of defeat the purpose of trying to find music tailored to a specific person, if that specific person is not going to be the one scoring the songs.
Squ

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #904 on: October 28, 2020, 03:19:34 AM »
That would also kind of defeat the purpose of trying to find music tailored to a specific person, if that specific person is not going to be the one scoring the songs.

You have a point.

Offline Revenge319

Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Organic visions (R3 impressions)
« Reply #905 on: October 28, 2020, 11:45:51 PM »
I can't think of any more impression-related song lyrics for the thread title, so this is just what I'm gonna go with.
Anyway, first impressions!

1. This was a lot more interesting than I expected!
2. Some may be confused to find out that this is one of my favorite submissions of this round (and perhaps even the whole roulette) so far.
3. They're good, but I wasn't expecting them to sound so... normal.
4. I expected the vocals to be the strong point, but I think I like the instrumental stuff more.
5. I was expecting something rather strange, but instead I got some very pretty, atmospheric music.
6. Pretty good stuff! This might grow on me a lot.
7. An impressive piece of music, this is.
8. It's alright. Reminds me a lot of Iron Maiden.
9. Pretty good! The vocals remind me of Neal Morse for some reason...
10. Unsure how I feel about the harsh vocals, but there's some pretty interesting stuff here otherwise.
11. The vocals can be kind of... ugly... at times, but instrumentally it's really interesting.
12. Certainly good, but I don't have much else to say about it.
13. Better than I was expecting, although I don't think I like the sampling much.
14. Some interesting stuff here, I think I can see what the hype is about.
15. Makes me think of a modern-day Marillion, only I can feel more emotions with this one.
16. It's similar to [REDACTED], but a little less interesting.

Technically it's Thursday in my time zone, but it's only around 1:45 AM, it's close enough for government work.
Hangman arrives later today. And I am so glad to have Ariich's spreadsheet this time, that Hangmanen program just would not cooperate with me...

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #906 on: October 29, 2020, 12:53:21 AM »
8. It's alright. Reminds me a lot of Iron Maiden.

50% chance this is mine.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #907 on: October 29, 2020, 01:13:24 AM »
11 sounds like a safe bet, 10 if not that lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: October 29, 2020, 05:25:59 AM »
7 or 14.  Bank on it.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #909 on: October 29, 2020, 05:56:57 AM »
All I know is, I can rule out any of the ones about vocals. That's all I've got!