Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 61759 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: A good impression (R1 Hangman)
« Reply #350 on: October 03, 2020, 07:59:51 PM »
...is your dad okay???

If you're talking about that last part, he was just saying that as a joke. My dad's perfectly fine, he just likes to rant about stuff he doesn't like.

I beg to differ!!!

And to the rest of you .... TASTESTM!!  Some of you know my story about them.  They are and always will be my favorite band, and the one that had the biggest impact of anything (beyond my wife and children) in my life.  Everyone has *that* band.
Yep! And for me it was Rush!

For me it was Rush too.  I won't go as far as saying that they'll always be my one and only absolute favorite band, because I guess I feel like there's room at the top for more than one band.  But Rush is definitely the band that got this all started for me, and I love all eras of their music and love pretty much everything about them.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #351 on: October 03, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »
...is your dad okay???

If you're talking about that last part, he was just saying that as a joke. My dad's perfectly fine, he just likes to rant about stuff he doesn't like.

I beg to differ!!!

And to the rest of you .... TASTESTM!!  Some of you know my story about them.  They are and always will be my favorite band, and the one that had the biggest impact of anything (beyond my wife and children) in my life.  Everyone has *that* band.

For me it was Rush too.  I won't go as far as saying that they'll always be my one and only absolute favorite band, because I guess I feel like there's room at the top for more than one band.  But Rush is definitely the band that got this all started for me, and I love all eras of their music and love pretty much everything about them.

For me, it could've been one of three things. Whatever one it was, though, Dream Theater was the one that basically took my love for music to its peak. I'm sure it's unsurprising to hear on a Dream Theater forum that my favorite band is Dream Theater, but I honestly don't think I'll ever find any artist that's better than Dream Theater for me.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #352 on: October 03, 2020, 08:57:02 PM »
...is your dad okay???

I beg to differ!!!

Of course not - there's no Katatonia members involved!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lethean

« Reply #353 on: October 03, 2020, 10:10:02 PM »
...is your dad okay???

I beg to differ!!!

For me, it could've been one of three things. Whatever one it was, though, Dream Theater was the one that basically took my love for music to its peak. I'm sure it's unsurprising to hear on a Dream Theater forum that my favorite band is Dream Theater, but I honestly don't think I'll ever find any artist that's better than Dream Theater for me.
Rush is what led me to Dream Theater.  :)  And Dream Theater is definitely at the top there with Rush.  I know a lot of posters have lost interest in DT but I'm not one of them.  I think their new albums are awesome and I love The Astonishing, and Mike Mangini being in the band.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #354 on: October 03, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »
...is your dad okay???

I beg to differ!!!

Of course not - there's no Katatonia members involved!

:lol Rush is perfect as they are.  (Or I guess I should say were, but I don't like to.)

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #355 on: October 03, 2020, 10:18:39 PM »
Rush is what led me to Dream Theater.  :)  And Dream Theater is definitely at the top there with Rush.  I know a lot of posters have lost interest in DT but I'm not one of them.  I think their new albums are awesome and I love The Astonishing, and Mike Mangini being in the band.
To me, Dream Theater can do no wrong. The only song they've made that I even kind of dislike is Honor Thy Father, but A) I wouldn't even call it an outright bad song, and B) considering they've made nothing else like it, I see it as more of a failed experiment than a bad Dream Theater song. Haken and (maybe) Porcupine Tree are two other bands who can do no wrong, in my eyes.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #356 on: October 03, 2020, 10:28:46 PM »
To me, Dream Theater can do no wrong. The only song they've made that I even kind of dislike is Honor Thy Father, but A) I wouldn't even call it an outright bad song, and B) considering they've made nothing else like it, I see it as more of a failed experiment than a bad Dream Theater song. Haken and (maybe) Porcupine Tree are two other bands who can do no wrong, in my eyes.

I think we're pretty much on the same page.  I didn't, and don't, like MP's vocals, so songs like Constant Motion can irritate me sometimes, but I also don't think they're bad songs.

(Katatonia also has no bad songs... :))

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #357 on: October 03, 2020, 11:04:42 PM »

I think we're pretty much on the same page.  I didn't, and don't, like MP's vocals, so songs like Constant Motion can irritate me sometimes, but I also don't think they're bad songs.

I've never disliked Portnoy's vocals. I get why people might not like them, especially in songs like A Nightmare to Remember and The Dark Eternal Night, but even in those songs I don't have any problems with them.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #358 on: October 04, 2020, 02:33:58 AM »
THAT band for me will always be Metallica! They changed my life and I've never been obsessed with a band in any way like it since.

Going back to Led Zep, I have a deep love for them as they are one of only three bands that my Dad and I both loved. Music was life for my Dad, and I inherited that from him hard. He didn't get metal though and always asked when I'd 'grow out of it'  :lol but Led Zep, The Beatles and The Dear Hunter (I managed to get him into them before he passed away) were the three bands we both fanboyed over.

:heart

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #359 on: October 04, 2020, 04:43:20 AM »
@ Luke ...  :tup  That's awesome.

My dad did nothing for me musically.  He was fairly apathetic (I NEVER remember him actively listening to music other than having the radio on as background noise while in his office).  Ultimately, he did become a fan of country music in his later years.  So, a father's tastes make no difference as far as I'm concerned.  I'm just glad Revenge isn't Klingon, otherwise he would have to own the sins of his father.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #360 on: October 04, 2020, 08:32:40 AM »
Jingle, it's always interesting to hear people's musical journey. Did you have any family members who helped shape your tastes?

My Dad had an input on shaping my tastes for sure (he also got me into Stevie Wonder), but my main influence was my older (by 8 years) brother. He was a metal head so I grew up playing SNES, or drawing with him, whilst listening to Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, Pantera etc. I wasn't interested in the music at the time at all, but it all sunk into my musical DNA. Even my older sister, who was into Britpop, added into the melting pot of what I came to enjoy in music.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #361 on: October 04, 2020, 09:45:05 AM »
The day of results is upon us, and... I'm still behind. I have 12 out of 19 artists scored and ready for final review. This is the kind of stuff that happens when you are absorbed in an amazing JRPG.
Anyway, to get these results out without leaving everyone to wait too long, I've decided to do what I've seen some people do, and split the results into three parts.
I'll post one part relatively soon, the second part a few hours or so from now, and the third part might end up arriving on Monday. I apologize for the delay for the results as a whole, and hopefully in the next round, I'll be more consistent.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #362 on: October 04, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »
That's cool with me. What's the JRPG?

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #363 on: October 04, 2020, 09:51:39 AM »
That's cool with me. What's the JRPG?
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I loved the first game, and I'm loving this one, too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: October 04, 2020, 10:17:45 AM »
Jingle, it's always interesting to hear people's musical journey. Did you have any family members who helped shape your tastes?

Not really.  My brother playing Black Dog because it was the first CD *he* ever bought and played on his brand new stereo system is about it.  After that, it was all my own discovery, and recommendations of friends.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #365 on: October 04, 2020, 10:48:58 AM »

I've never disliked Portnoy's vocals. I get why people might not like them, especially in songs like A Nightmare to Remember and The Dark Eternal Night, but even in those songs I don't have any problems with them.

Yeah I really dislike those vocals. But I like the songs otherwise, especially A Nightmare to Remember.  Even after I became a bit more accepting of harsh vocals, I never cared for that.  Earlier this year I went through the whole discography in reverse order and was reminded yet again how much he irritated me.  It was weird because at the time he left, I was very upset and it was like the end of the world; his vocals were just like something I had to put up with but I did not want him leaving the band.  But in the end I'm really glad it happened and I think the last 4 albums are awesome. I still like SC and Black Clouds, but I like the current live versions of the songs you mentioned way better.  I'm just glad MM seemingly has no desire to sing. :)

Offline Revenge319

Here we are: Part 1/3 of the Round 1 results!

kingshmegland
Rush

First impression: While they seem to stick with the same general sound, they manage to make each song unique despite that.

Final review: I've heard quite a few Rush songs before; specifically, I've heard 2112, YYZ, and every song on the albums A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres. But I've never quite really gotten into them (even if I love 2112). With these submissions, however, I think I finally "get" them now. What I like about Rush is that, as I mentioned in my first impressions, they use the same general sound and aesthetic for their songs, but each one sounds unique. Of the four songs I was sent, I could probably tell them apart without much difficulty. Speaking of those songs, my favorite would either be “Dreamline” or “The Spirit of Radio”, probably the latter. TSoR has a really nice opening (that’s a little less reminiscent of The Best of Times’ guitar intro than people let on), and I especially love that guitar riff after the intro. The other two songs, “Limelight” and “Marathon” are pretty good as well, though a little less remarkable, I feel. I might start going through their whole discography at this point! These guys are great.

Dreamline - 8.5/10
The Spirit of Radio - 8.5/10
Limelight - 8/10
Marathon - 7.75

Roulette score: 8.2

---------------------------

Sacul
Anathema

First impression: A couple really great songs, and I have a feeling the other ones will grow on me a lot.

Final review: This is an interesting one. Anathema is one of those bands where it’s about conveying a lot of emotion, and I would say overall they do a pretty good job. My favorite, as well as the best example of their emotion, is the song “Anathema”. It’s a pretty nice song on its own, but there’s a cathartic climax a little towards the end of the song, with the line “And I loved you!” being sung in a very powerful way. The vocals are usually well-done on other songs, and at the very least they do interesting things with them. “A Natural Disaster” features some female vocals that I don’t particularly enjoy, but they’re okay. At the end, they basically decide to do the ending to Mellotron Scratch where everything except the vocals fade out, except instead of this lasting 5 seconds, it lasts 50 seconds. Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing, though. So yeah, Anathema is pretty good; I may check out more of their stuff in the near future.

Fragile Dreams - 8.25/10
A Natural Disaster - 7.75/10
Untouchable Pt. 1 - 8/10
Anathema - 8.75

Elite
The Ocean

First impression: Quite interesting. I'll need more listens to gauge how much I like this one.

Final review: This one is a little hard to discuss. I like this band. I know I do. But I think this one will take a while to really grow on me. What I mean, is that I don’t really remember much about their songs after listening to them. To describe them, they are primarily metal, but they have a lot of mellow moments interspersed throughout the songs. It’s kind of hard to talk about any of the songs individually, since there’s not much I remember. I know I think all of these songs are great, though; I just need a lot more time with this music to really solidify my feelings.

Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe - 8/10
Devonian: Nascent - 8.25/10
Pleistocene - 8.25/10
The Grand Inquisitor II: Roots and Locusts - 8/10

Roulette score: 8.1

Evermind
Beyond the Bridge

First impression: The vocals seem a little too aggressive for the music at times, but other than that, this is very good.

Final review: My first impression contains the only thing I could call a flaw with this band. Maybe that makes me sound like I love these guys a lot more than I do, but when I think about it, even if they’re not my favorite of the artists in Round 1, I think they might have the least amount of problems of them all. And that one issue I mentioned? That only applies to two of the four songs, anyway. My favorite of the songs is “Where the Earth and Sky Meet”, which partly feels like a fusion between Dream Theater’s “Begin Again” and Transatlantic’s “Bridge Across Forever”. And that is a compliment in every sense of the word. I also really liked “The Call”, even despite the vocals being a bit much at times. And the other two songs are so good, too. I just want to listen to the whole album that these songs are from. Very good stuff right here!

The Call - 8.5/10
The Difference is Human - 8.5/10
Where the Earth and Sky Meet - 9/10
All a Man Can Do - 8.25/10

Roulette score: 8.6

Nekov
Frost*

First impression: I don't think I care for the vocals, at all, but the music is really good and greatly makes up for the weak vocals.

Final review: I have to be honest… If the vocals were significantly better, this could almost guarantee this band to be the best artist of Round 1. Or at the very least it’d be in the Top 3. Instead, it ranks a bit lower. I know I’m giving off a somewhat negative impression, but let me just say, when this band does good, it does AMAZING THINGS. It probably will not surprise anyone after reading this to learn that my favorite song in the submission is “Hyperventilate”, a 7-minute instrumental track. It’s a very beautiful piece of music, and I’d listen to this over at least half of Dream Theater’s instrumental tracks. I also really enjoyed “Black Light Machine”. While there are vocals, I’ve grown to like them a little better on this song. Plus, there aren’t many vocals to begin with, so that leaves more room for the amazing instrumentals! However. The other two songs are… subpar. “Towerblock” in particular has unpleasant vocals, and while I do like the focus on a more electronic genre, it feels way too erratic at times. It’s an okay song, but after the brilliant tracks from Milliontown, it is something of a letdown. So my thoughts are mixed, but let me say it again: When these guys are good, they are amazingly good.

Hyperventilate - 9.5/10
Black Light Machine - 9.25/10
Welcome to Nowhere - 7.5/10
Towerblock - 6.5/10

Buddyhunter1
Devin Townsend

First impression: Fantastic! It's not what I expected as far as what the songs ended up being, but this is some amazing stuff. I might become addicted to this.

Final review: I’m just gonna say it, this is the best artist of Round 1. There’s another one I’ll be talking about later that comes REALLY close, but if I had to pick the best, I think Devin Townsend would be an easy choice. The big thing I want to talk about is how different this ended up being from what I initially thought. See, I went in expecting something along the lines of Dream Theater or Haken. What I actually got was one song that I guess is uniquely Devin Townsend, and the other two songs are basically Between the Buried and Me meets KMFDM. And wow, I love this. When I said I might become addicted to this, I wasn’t just sneaking in a hint to it being Devin Townsend; I’ve probably listened to these songs the most out of all my Round 1 submissions. And the funny thing about this, is that I do find a glaring flaw with Devin Townsend; with the exception of “Kingdom”, the lyrics are not very good. I would say these are the worst lyrics out of all the Round 1 artists. But you know what? The music is so good, that I don’t even care. I mean, in the case of “Addicted!” it’s a pretty impressive feat to make a song I love that contains multiple uses of the word “pornography”. And then there’s “Planet of the Apes”, which has Tommy Rogers as a guest vocalist, so the song’s automatically a 9/10. I am very impressed with this music. You bet I’ll be seeking out more of this stuff!

Addicted! - 8.75/10
Planet of the Apes - 9/10
Kingdom - 9/10

Roulette score: 8.9
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:56:49 PM by Revenge319 »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Final review: I’m just gonna say it, this is the best artist of Round 1. There’s another one I’ll be talking about later that comes REALLY close, but if I had to pick the best, I think Devin Townsend would be an easy choice.

Well duh, it's Devin Townsend! *bows*
Enjoy the rabbit hole! The dude's got so many albums out there that it can be overwhelming, but the albums each of those songs came from would probably be a good starting point. Addicted and Epicloud are more on the accessible, straightforward side, whereas Deconstruction is completely bonkers theatrical prog metal from start to finish. I didn't send any songs from them but I'd also highly recommend Ocean Machine and Accelerated Evolution.

By the way, while I'm happy to have scored so high, I'm noticing a slightly disturbing trend - apart from Frost* (who I'm not familiar enough with), my favorite song from each of the submissions thus far ended up scoring either lowest or second-to-lowest among the batch. :lol (Marathon, Untouchable Pt. 1, Hadopelagic II, All A Man Can Do, and Addicted! respectively)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
The cool thing about getting into Devin is that he has soooooo much different music

Also from The Ocean go check out their song Stenian it's the best one

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
The cool thing about getting into Devin is that he has soooooo much different music

Yup. He's got some more mellow albums like Ki, Casualties of Cool, and Ghost, all of which are definitely worth checking out (especially Ki and Casualties). And on the other end of the spectrum, if you want him at his heaviest, you can dive into Strapping Young Lad, which has some of his best albums. :metal

Also from The Ocean go check out their song Stenian the rest of Pelagial it's the best one of the best concept albums ever

FTFM

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, this ought to be interesting if everything is going to be compared against Dream Theater and the other 5 banned artists!   :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

Nice. Of the 6 artists scored so far I'd rank them:

• Devin Townsend
  • The Ocean
  • Frost*
  • Anathema
  • Beyond the Bridge
  • Rush

I'd be totally fine losing out to Devin as he's one of my favourite artists  :metal just savour his catalogue, so much good stuff. I got sent Dear Dead Days by Frost* in my roulette (possibly by Nekov as well?) and it was easily one of the top 5 songs of the roulette, if not the top. I remember I scored it a 9.5!

Also, these are some consistently high scores, is it all down hill from here or are we looking at a sea of 8's?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Also from The Ocean go check out their song Stenian it's the best one

Is it? ???
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
yes

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, I disagree :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Revenge319

Final review: I’m just gonna say it, this is the best artist of Round 1. There’s another one I’ll be talking about later that comes REALLY close, but if I had to pick the best, I think Devin Townsend would be an easy choice.

Well duh, it's Devin Townsend! *bows*
Enjoy the rabbit hole! The dude's got so many albums out there that it can be overwhelming, but the albums each of those songs came from would probably be a good starting point. Addicted and Epicloud are more on the accessible, straightforward side, whereas Deconstruction is completely bonkers theatrical prog metal from start to finish. I didn't send any songs from them but I'd also highly recommend Ocean Machine and Accelerated Evolution.

Thanks for the recommendations! Doing a little research, I've heard Ocean Machine is considered his best album, so I'll probably check out that album first when I get around to his discography.

Also, these are some consistently high scores, is it all down hill from here or are we looking at a sea of 8's?

When it came to doing my final results, I chose the submissions at random. So, as far as individual songs go, we'll still see some high scores, though I won't deny there are some lower scores to be revealed (but not too low!). As far as roulette scores... Well, that applies here, too.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ocean machine is excellent, terria is excellent, ziltoid is excellent, deconstruction is excellent, casualties of cool is imo the most excellent, just for starters

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've never heard anything from Devin Townsend that I have liked.

He did release an album a couple years ago that I listened to. I forget the name, but it was kind of atmospheric, and that was ok.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Revenge319

By the way, if anyone has Round 2 submissions ready, feel free to send them now!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You already have mine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
ocean machine is excellent, terria is excellent, ziltoid is excellent, deconstruction is excellent, casualties of cool is imo the most excellent, just for starters
These albums would be the perfect starter albums for Hevy Devy! All 5* albums or close to 5*.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Good start depending on the rest of the results. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Good start depending on the rest of the results.
I'm sure you'll win the Fogey challenge.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
sent in round 2!

I don't care if I get lower scores tbh. Someone has to get them and I'd rather it to be me than someone who might get offended  :coolio

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
sent in round 2!

I don't care if I get lower scores tbh. Someone has to get them and I'd rather it to be me than someone who might get offended  J-Boy :coolio