Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 61599 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Round 2 results 3/3 (Send for R3!)
« Reply #840 on: October 24, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »
I definitely think Jotunheim is way too long, sorry Pup.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #841 on: October 24, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »
i could say that of every song on that album, even excluding the like 5 minutes of ambience at the end of jotunheim

i have their 2016 album and it's, solid, but not one i've gone back to since... uh... 2016...

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #842 on: October 24, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »
Moonsorrow is one of those bands that at their best go from "do these songs really have to be this long", to "wow, this is actually good" after like three spins. You have to be ok with the vocals though.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Not much to conceal (R2 Hangman)
« Reply #843 on: October 24, 2020, 02:09:32 PM »
Jotunheim :corn

RIP

:lol

Hey Revenge, do you think it'd be possible to add "banned during the roulette" list to the OP? It's usually no problem but as the results are scattered in parts, it becomes a bit of a pain to see if the band was already sent.

They should've called that song Helheim

Ah, I'd forgotten to update the "Banned during roulette" list! I will do that now.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #844 on: October 24, 2020, 02:10:05 PM »
Their most recent album is fantastic. Long songs, but damn good ones. Puppies keeps pushing the album Jotunheim is from but I've only listened to it once, so I can't really weigh in if I think the songs on it are too long quite yet.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #845 on: October 24, 2020, 02:15:15 PM »
First things first, who sends Steven Wilson when the host has PT and one SW album banned, especially considering that the banned list is only like 10 bands long?
I was just following jingle's advice about cheating ;D

“Routine” is kind of an interesting one; I really like this song, but I think this song would be better without the female vocalist. Her voice isn’t bad or anything (though it admittedly sounds kind of “generic”, for lack of a better word), but I feel like if it was just Steven singing, it’d add a lot more to the song.

Also what? No way that'd work for me. Ninet is absolutely fantastic on this song.
But also this wtf :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #846 on: October 24, 2020, 02:17:06 PM »
Sent!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: October 24, 2020, 02:22:25 PM »
Sent!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #848 on: October 24, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »
Sent as well. Will probably cock-block at least a couple people with this one... if someone hasn't already beat me to it!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #849 on: October 24, 2020, 03:28:23 PM »
Their most recent album is fantastic. Long songs, but damn good ones. Puppies keeps pushing the album Jotunheim is from but I've only listened to it once, so I can't really weigh in if I think the songs on it are too long quite yet.
So here's the deal with Verisakeet. I too had the same reaction when I first listened to this album (it was my introduction to Moonsorrow). The songs seemed way too long, the instrumentation seemed to all blend together, the vocals seemed unnecessary, the production sounded muddy, etc etc. I set the album aside for about 2 years. When I finally came back to it I had upgraded the headphones I typically would listen to music on. That made a world of difference. If you are listening to Moonsorrow on shitty headphones or speakers, you are missing out on a lot. The instrumentation is just so dense, with so much going on, it can't be replicated on cheap equipment. Now I realize not everyone can afford expensive high quality sound setups, but it really does make a difference. At the same time, I had become more accustomed to 15+ minute songs that are not Prog Metal epics. I had become more engrossed in Atmospheric Black Metal and grew a lot of appreciation for long songs that don't go into instrumental wankery to pad the length (see Dream Theater or most traditional prog metal bands). Also I dug into the lyrical content more. Being a band that only sings in Finnish, this was a little more difficult, but the lyrics are fantastic and the vocals fit the concept perfectly. I have come to love the album so much it moved its way up to my number 2 album of all time.

I know I pimp Verisakeet more so than their other albums, but that's only because I feel it is the best place to get a full appreciation of the band in their prime. However, their albums V: Hävitetty, Kivenkantaja, and Jumalten aika, as well as the EP Tulimyrsky, are all basically just as good. I mean Jumalten aika is basically just Verisakeet 2 as far as overall sound goes.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #850 on: October 24, 2020, 03:35:58 PM »
So here's the deal with Verisakeet. I too had the same reaction when I first listened to this album (it was my introduction to Moonsorrow). The songs seemed way too long, the instrumentation seemed to all blend together, the vocals seemed unnecessary, the production sounded muddy, etc etc. I set the album aside for about 2 years. When I finally came back to it I had upgraded the headphones I typically would listen to music on. That made a world of difference. If you are listening to Moonsorrow on shitty headphones or speakers, you are missing out on a lot. The instrumentation is just so dense, with so much going on, it can't be replicated on cheap equipment. Now I realize not everyone can afford expensive high quality sound setups, but it really does make a difference. At the same time, I had become more accustomed to 15+ minute songs that are not Prog Metal epics. I had become more engrossed in Atmospheric Black Metal and grew a lot of appreciation for long songs that don't go into instrumental wankery to pad the length (see Dream Theater or most traditional prog metal bands). Also I dug into the lyrical content more. Being a band that only sings in Finnish, this was a little more difficult, but the lyrics are fantastic and the vocals fit the concept perfectly. I have come to love the album so much it moved its way up to my number 2 album of all time.

I know I pimp Verisakeet more so than their other albums, but that's only because I feel it is the best place to get a full appreciation of the band in their prime. However, their albums V: Hävitetty, Kivenkantaja, and Jumalten aika, as well as the EP Tulimyrsky, are all basically just as good. I mean Jumalten aika is basically just Verisakeet 2 as far as overall sound goes.

I have a very good pair of headphones, so it's probably not that I've missed some elements of the instrumentation. Maybe one day I'll come back to it and pay very close attention to everything that's going on and see if my thoughts have changed. Also, the production sounded fine to me, but then again I'm probably one of the least qualified people on this forum to talk about good album production.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #851 on: October 24, 2020, 03:49:50 PM »

I have a very good pair of headphones, so it's probably not that I've missed some elements of the instrumentation. Maybe one day I'll come back to it and pay very close attention to everything that's going on and see if my thoughts have changed. Also, the production sounded fine to me, but then again I'm probably one of the least qualified people on this forum to talk about good album production.
In the end it all comes down to tastes. I've accepted the fact that most people on this forum don't like Moonsorrow. That isn't going to stop me from sending them in roulettes though :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #852 on: October 24, 2020, 04:36:34 PM »
I haven't even received all the submissions, and there's already some unprecedented stuff going on in this round! You'll probably be able to piece together what those things are when I post my first impressions (which I'll most likely get out by Tuesday or Wednesday).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #853 on: October 24, 2020, 04:45:09 PM »
I'll take the score, but man... some of those comments!  Fair point about the end of Machine, but the song is just too damned good for that to take anything away from it.

After your comments regarding Time, it's a good thing I didn't send Money!   :lol

Now to decide... keep it old school, or give you what you're clearly craving with modern metal.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #854 on: October 24, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »
I'll take the score, but man... some of those comments!  Fair point about the end of Machine, but the song is just too damned good for that to take anything away from it.

After your comments regarding Time, it's a good thing I didn't send Money!   :lol

Now to decide... keep it old school, or give you what you're clearly craving with modern metal.

Yeah, the ending of Welcome to the Machine doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the song. Also, I do remember Money having some money-related sound effects as well (though I don't remember what exactly it sounded like).

Regarding the submissions, feel free to do whatever you like! There is plenty of modern stuff, it would seem, so I don't mind if you choose to keep going with the old-school stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #855 on: October 24, 2020, 05:33:31 PM »
In the end it all comes down to tastes. I've accepted the fact that most people on this forum don't like Moonsorrow. That isn't going to stop me from sending them in roulettes though :neverusethis:

Looking forward to listening to that whole album in a couple of weeks, then! :neverusethis:

Re: Steven Wilson: I also would not have sent him given the banned list, but I suppose I understand the inclination to always cheat. My heretical opinion is that I don't really "get" Routine, and that includes the female vocals. And also I haven't even heard any of the other Wilson songs that were sent.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: October 24, 2020, 05:47:17 PM »
I think you'd love Deform to Form a Star, it's one of his best ballads.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #857 on: October 24, 2020, 05:50:40 PM »
I think you'd love Deform to Form a Star, it's one of his best ballads.

I had it on a playlist I made for a trip to Vermont and cranked it today on the drive up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #858 on: October 24, 2020, 06:09:02 PM »
Re: Steven Wilson: I also would not have sent him given the banned list, but I suppose I understand the inclination to always cheat. My heretical opinion is that I don't really "get" Routine, and that includes the female vocals. And also I haven't even heard any of the other Wilson songs that were sent.

Well, I think it's fair game, seeing as I didn't ban Steven Wilson altogether. I suppose it is a really easy choice if you're wanting to get a good score, but as the host I'm just interested in listening to more music I don't know, which includes the majority of Steven Wilson's solo material.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #859 on: October 24, 2020, 06:10:12 PM »
my round 5 artist is one i kinda expect revenge to react middlingly to and i'm still tempted to switch them out for someone else but hhmmm might be fun to lose

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #860 on: October 24, 2020, 06:15:30 PM »
my round 5 artist is one i kinda expect revenge to react middlingly to and i'm still tempted to switch them out for someone else but hhmmm might be fun to lose

I'll probably want to listen to your original line-up the whole way through, but if you decide at some point that you really want me to try out another artist instead, feel free to let me know. And if you decide to keep your Round 5 submission, feel free to send whatever other artist you were thinking of post-roulette. That goes for everyone else as well; I won't do proper first impressions or reviews, but when the roulette is over I can occasionally briefly talk about any other artists that you guys really wanted to send during this roulette. Although since that's post-roulette, it'd probably be a while before I'd discuss said artists.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #861 on: October 24, 2020, 06:20:44 PM »
Yeah, especially since it's probably going to be a while for you to discuss the Round 3 artists! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #862 on: October 24, 2020, 10:29:54 PM »
the two artists i'm thinking of replacing that one with would either best belong between the current round 2 & 3 artists or the current round 3 & 4 artists respectively, we'll see what i decide in the end but i'll probably just stick to my guns because both are less uniquely pandacore imo lol but both very damn good all the same

if i need to dial back after round 4 i'll definitely send one as a replacement

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #863 on: October 24, 2020, 11:28:31 PM »
Just as a reminder, I still need Round 3 submissions from:

- Elite
- jingle.boy
- romdrums
- Sacul
- twosuitsluke

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #864 on: October 24, 2020, 11:39:29 PM »

- Elite
- Sacul
shocked. aghast.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #865 on: October 25, 2020, 03:13:29 AM »
Sent my first real wild card.

Pretty sure this band has bombed in every roulette I've sent them in, but here goes.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #866 on: October 25, 2020, 06:01:32 AM »
Checking out these Moonsorrow songs, see which side of the fence I lie. According to Last.fm I have listened to Jumalten Aika before, but I've not heard these two songs before.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: October 25, 2020, 06:05:46 AM »

- Elite
- jingle.boy
- romdrums
- Sacul
- twosuitsluke

Really?  Really?  not even 12 hours after you finally post results for four of the above, and you're gonna call people out?

I'll take as much time to send mine as it took for you to post results.  :neverusethis:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #868 on: October 25, 2020, 06:35:59 AM »
Like a boss Chad.  Like a boss.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #869 on: October 25, 2020, 10:46:08 AM »
My result was in the last batch, so I’ll send quite soon.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #870 on: October 25, 2020, 12:20:02 PM »

- Elite
- jingle.boy
- romdrums
- Sacul
- twosuitsluke

Really?  Really?  not even 12 hours after you finally post results for four of the above, and you're gonna call people out?

I'll take as much time to send mine as it took for you to post results.  :neverusethis:

Aw, I didn't mean it like that... I'm sure you're probably joking about that, but it's just a friendly reminder, is all.
It's also a reminder for myself, in a way. I've gotta make absolutely sure I have all the submissions I need once everyone sends.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: October 25, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »
Sent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: October 26, 2020, 06:33:43 AM »
Sent... from the God/Founding Father of prog-metal concept albums.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #873 on: October 26, 2020, 06:41:12 AM »
Sent... from the God/Founding Father of prog-metal concept albums.

Something from Mindcrime surely
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline romdrums

« Reply #874 on: October 26, 2020, 07:29:46 AM »
Round 3 sent
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.