Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 60935 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Bound to go awry? (R2 results 1/3)
« Reply #770 on: October 17, 2020, 01:04:01 PM »
:2metal:

time to piss it away with my later round submissions  :lol

I remember you mentioning you were worried about Round 3 and beyond, so I'm more interested than ever to find out what I'll think of the rest of your submissions.

tbhhh there's one artist i found who i think would still fit into the arc of submissions i have going but wouldn't be like

as absurd as the round 5 entry i have lined up, but we'll see  :lol

i might send them as a post-roulette submission too idunnolol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #771 on: October 17, 2020, 01:06:34 PM »
Fair play Parama, your flogging of East of the Wall is paying off. I'm a big fan of The Hirsch Effekt (although I would have sent different songs) and I suppose East of the Wall is ok. Smashing it dude!
Now I'm hoping my flogging of Moonsorrow is going to pay off. It did with Ariich fortunately, but not really with anyone else.  :yeahright
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #772 on: October 17, 2020, 01:09:14 PM »
Fair play Parama, your flogging of East of the Wall is paying off. I'm a big fan of The Hirsch Effekt (although I would have sent different songs) and I suppose East of the Wall is ok. Smashing it dude!
Now I'm hoping my flogging of Moonsorrow is going to pay off. It did with Ariich fortunately, but not really with anyone else.  :yeahright
What does "flogging" mean?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #773 on: October 17, 2020, 01:10:42 PM »
What does "flogging" mean?
Beating a dead horse.......cramming it down everyone's throats (ears).......mercilessly pimping them......

Take your pick  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #774 on: October 17, 2020, 01:56:52 PM »
“Devise” is a pretty good song, too, but there’s this part towards the end where they just turn up the bass for no reason and the song eventually becomes this almost intangible mess.

Dude, that part's awesome. It feels like all of fucking reality is crumbling around you before dissipating into nothingness like a reverse supernova.

Oh well. :lol Glad you liked Where Is Now! Bilo 3.0 is an amazing, amazing album.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #775 on: October 17, 2020, 02:15:29 PM »
“Devise” is a pretty good song, too, but there’s this part towards the end where they just turn up the bass for no reason and the song eventually becomes this almost intangible mess.

Dude, that part's awesome. It feels like all of fucking reality is crumbling around you before dissipating into nothingness like a reverse supernova.

I must say, that part becomes a little more interesting when you put it like that!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: October 17, 2020, 02:16:03 PM »
cramming it down everyone's throats (ears)

Cramx3 style!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #777 on: October 17, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »

Cramx3 style!

:lol

Some top notch scores in the first batch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #778 on: October 17, 2020, 03:29:34 PM »

Cramx3 style!
:rollin

Now if only Marc would participate in roulettes...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #779 on: October 18, 2020, 02:37:41 AM »
Out of the Dear Hunter songs that were sent Red Hands would probably get like a 9.5/10 if I had to score this round. That song blew me away on first listen when I had no idea what I was hearing and single-handedly made me a fan of The Dear Hunter. Forced Entry by Leprous would get an insane score too and East of the Wall would do well as well. What a joy it would be if it were possible to listen to all those tracks again for the first time.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: October 18, 2020, 04:14:42 AM »
Welp, that's disappointing  :lol. I hope you revisit them later on, maybe when you're not in the middle of listening to a million other songs that are maybe obscuring them in contrast. While you post the rest of the results, I'll be sending for the next round.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #781 on: October 19, 2020, 06:27:36 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #782 on: October 19, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »
Results 2/3 coming at some point today. Sorry for being so slow on this, but I have a feeling I'll do better with the upcoming rounds. Now that I'll be going into a round knowing I have two weeks after this one, I think I'll be a little more efficient in listening and scoring music.

Offline Revenge319

Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Bound to go awry? (R2 results 2/3)
« Reply #783 on: October 19, 2020, 06:51:08 PM »
Round 2 results continued!

MoraWintersoul
Sonata Arctica

First impression: Kinda reminds me of Nightwish in some ways.

Final review: I get the feeling this won’t be the last band I’m sent that reminds me of Nightwish. Not that that’s a bad thing, because this is pretty enjoyable! In hindsight, there isn’t that much of a resemblance to Nightwish, at least outside of the first song, “White Pearl, Black Oceans”. This song has that grand, almost cinematic feel to it, plus there’s a spoken word section at the end that reminds me a lot of the ending to Bless The Child. It’s quite good, but my favorite song of the three would be “Fly, Navigate, Communicate”. It’s very upbeat, and manages to be both fast-paced and a little atmospheric at the same time. It feels a little longer than it actually is, but that’s not a problem; I think that’s just a result of all the different things the band does in just four-and-a-half minutes. Draw Me is good as well, but the last minute is basically nothing of substance. I feel like maybe they wanted to do something in the vein of, say, the ending of LTE’s Three Minute Warning, but it goes on longer than it should have. But anyway, Sonata Arctica is pretty good! I might check out more of their stuff, if only because Fly, Navigate, Communicate was a particularly good impression.

White Pearl, Black Oceans - 8/10
Fly, Navigate, Communicate - 8.5/10
Draw Me - 7.75/10

Roulette score: 8.1

---------------------------

TAC
Teramaze

First impression: One of the more impressive bands I've heard this round.

Final review: Here we have some rather modern music. My research indicates that Teramaze has been around since at least the mid-90’s, but the songs that were sent were made within the last five years. Of the two songs, I prefer “Delusions of Grandeur”. It has this almost uplifting feel to it, with some seemingly uplifting lyrics (though considering the sirens at the end, maybe there’s something darker going on?). Some parts kind of make me think of the song as what a modern version of Awake might sound like. The other song, “Control Conquer Collide”, is also enjoyable. It doesn’t quite have the emotion that Delusions of Grandeur has, but it’s still great and has some interesting ideas. So I quite enjoyed these two songs, I think I’ll probably check out more at some point.

Also, fun fact: Teramaze was the first band I was sent in this roulette, but it was delayed to Round 2 because TAC wanted to send UFO for the Fogey Battle.

Control Conquer Collide - 8.25/10
Delusions of Grandeur - 8.5/10

Roulette score: 8.4

Stadler
Iron Maiden

First impression: Good stuff overall. I think James LaBrie's singing might've been influenced by this…

Final review: Here’s a band I’m slightly familiar with. And by “familiar with”, I mean my dad used to listen to a few of their songs (off the top of my head, those included 2 Minutes to Midnight, Run to the Hills, The Trooper, and I think one or two others). I also knew the song “Phantom of the Opera” before the roulette, which I thought was pretty good. So anyway, onto the songs I listened to in this round… These guys are actually very good. “The Clairvoyant” is about what I expected from an Iron Maiden song in terms of its style, but it’s really good. The vocals in this song remind me a lot of how James LaBrie sang in the early-mid 90's. The other two songs were quite a bit different than I expected, though. “Isle of Avalon” almost reminds me of Rush in a way. In any case, it’s a lot less heavy than I would expect. And then there’s “Journeyman”, which is even softer; it feels more or less like a ballad! This one is actually my favorite of the three. For some reason, the chorus really speaks to me. “I know what I want, I’ll say what I want, and no one can take it away…” All things considered, I enjoyed this band more than I expected to.

The Clairvoyant - 8.5/10
Isle of Avalon - 8.5/10
Journeyman - 8.75/10

Roulette score: 8.6

Kamelot

First impression: I quite like this, though compared to Nightwish, Nightwish does it better.

Final review: So, Kamelot was sent to me as to “continue along in a similar direction” after my positive reaction to Nightwish. And while I still would say that between the two, Nightwish is better, I think Kamelot has grown on me. “March of Mephisto” reminds me of Nightwish, as well as Avantasia and I feel like one other band that I can’t quite put my finger on… Anyway, it’s a very enjoyable song and is my favorite of the four songs here. Other highlights are “Abandoned”, a rather sad-sounding ballad, and “Memento Mori”, which also starts out slow and ballad-like, but gradually gets more intense, with a lot of interesting elements. I’ll probably listen to the album “The Black Halo” at some point; there’s a lot of interesting stuff here and I’m curious to see what else is in store with the album.

March of Mephisto - 8.75/10
Abandoned - 8.25/10
Memento Mori - 8.5/10
Fallen Star - 8/10

Roulette score: 8.4

Luoto
Ne Obliviscaris

First impression: It's good, although some parts were a bit boring.

Final review: Considering I really liked Amorphis in the previous round, I suppose it makes sense to send another band with some similarity to them. And I think Ne Obliviscaris does have the same elements that made Amorphis so interesting to me, but I think it might not be as well-executed. There are some rather interesting parts here; for instance, “Devour Me, Colossus - Part I (Blackholes)” has this nice middle section where there’s a lengthy violin solo, and combined with all the other instruments, it sounds very good. But there’s also some moments that aren’t bad, but are just kind of boring. These are usually whenever the harsh vocals are prominent, which I don’t think sound all that great, or at least don’t exactly fit with the music to me. I would say that overall, the highs outweigh the lows. These songs are far from bad, or even mediocre, I would just say that they’re not anything particularly special.

Devour Me, Colossus - Part I (Blackholes) - 7.75/10
And Plague Flowers the Kaleidoscope - 7.5/10

Roulette score: 7.6

Anguyen92
Switchfoot

First impression: A lot more "casual" than what I'm used to, but it's alright.

Final review: So to clarify, when I say “casual”, I just mean it’s something… “normal”. Like, compare the Dream Theater songs Paralyzed and Octavarium. Between those two, Paralyzed is a much more “normal” song. I hope that makes sense. I just don’t want to give off the impression that I say “casual” as some kind of insult, since I think that’s the best way to describe Switchfoot’s music. That’s not a bad thing, though, I like to listen to more casual music. It’s simplistic hard rock, with their main strength usually being a good chorus, like in “Lonely Nation” and “Dark Horses”. The music is enjoyable in a lot of areas, too, most notably the main guitar riff in “Meant to Live”. There’s not much else that I found remarkable about Switchfoot, so I apologize if this review comes across as lacking compared to other writeups. With that said, though, I did like this band. I doubt I’ll come back to them, but I would certainly say they have some good music.

Meant to Live - 7.25/10
Lonely Nation - 7.25/10
Needle and Haystack Life - 7/10
Dark Horses - 7.5/10

Roulette score: 7.3

Part 3 will probably be out on Wednesday. I really am sorry for having to make everyone wait so much, but I’d rather ensure that I have a solid opinion on the rest of these submissions than make a bunch of half-hearted writeups where I might not even know for sure what I’m talking about. Apologies for all the delays, and here’s hoping for a smoother Round 3 and beyond when we get there!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: October 19, 2020, 06:59:20 PM »
Re Iron Maiden ... “These guys are actually very good.“

Everyone else: “You don’t say!!”
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #785 on: October 19, 2020, 07:09:04 PM »
Re Iron Maiden ... “These guys are actually very good.“

Everyone else: “You don’t say!!”

:lol

See them live.  They'll blow you away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #786 on: October 19, 2020, 07:10:46 PM »
Hey Revenge, you prefer Youtube to Spotify, right? I can't remember. Seems like I last sent a month or so ago.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #787 on: October 19, 2020, 07:11:51 PM »
Hey Revenge, you prefer Youtube to Spotify, right? I can't remember. Seems like I last sent a month or so ago.  ;D

Yeah, YouTube or music files. I don't use Spotify or any other music-streaming services.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #788 on: October 19, 2020, 07:19:16 PM »
Speaking of submissions, feel free to send for Round 3 if anyone's ready!

Offline 425

« Reply #789 on: October 19, 2020, 08:52:05 PM »
I'll take an 8.4! Definitely listen to The Black Halo when you get the chance, it's worth it as a full experience. And also try Epica, since it's the first half of the story, though it's in a bit of a different style and not quite as strong IMO.

I'll send soon, kind of deciding between two different approaches to my next artist.

EDIT: Just took a look at some of your post history, and decided, ah, fuck it, I'll do what I've been tempted to do.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:59:41 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #790 on: October 19, 2020, 09:40:08 PM »
Speaking of submissions, feel free to send for Round 3 if anyone's ready!
I definitely want to see my score for this round before I send. What I send will be highly dependent on the score I get for Moonsorrow.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #791 on: October 19, 2020, 10:53:00 PM »
All right, looks like the Active Rock/Alt Rock/radio Alt metal stuff ain't going to cut the mustard here.  Which sorta sucks because that's kinda like 80% of my repertoire, but I'll think of something for the next round.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #792 on: October 19, 2020, 11:05:34 PM »
All right, looks like the Active Rock/Alt Rock/radio Alt metal stuff ain't going to cut the mustard here.  Which sorta sucks because that's kinda like 80% of my repertoire, but I'll think of something for the next round.

If it's any consolation, there's a submission I haven't gotten to that will most likely score significantly worse than yours; I think 7.3 is a good score.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #793 on: October 19, 2020, 11:07:31 PM »
Yeah, but I'm highly competitive and like a challenge, so I'll figure something to give you.

Edit: And submitted......
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 11:23:43 PM by Anguyen92 »

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #794 on: October 19, 2020, 11:23:44 PM »

If it's any consolation, there's a submission I haven't gotten to that will most likely score significantly worse than yours; I think 7.3 is a good score.
Moonsorrow.........  :(
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #795 on: October 19, 2020, 11:40:07 PM »
Or Wilderun :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #796 on: October 19, 2020, 11:42:13 PM »
I'm going to go listen to Moonsorrow and Wilderun in honor of these great bands that are about to be disrespected....

F
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #797 on: October 20, 2020, 02:35:47 AM »
I wonder if there was just too much going on at once, the music has probably more to take in than anything else sent so far. Still not a bad score, even though it's below average for the roulette.

Sent for round 3.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: October 20, 2020, 03:24:13 AM »
I do get not liking NeO but these two songs, and Plague especially, I don't know if I remember any boring moments.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, this ought to be interesting if everything is going to be compared against Dream Theater and the other 5 banned artists!   :lol

Guess I was wrong... everything's gonna be compared to Nightwish.   :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #800 on: October 20, 2020, 04:00:56 AM »
Yay!!

First impression: Kinda reminds me of Nightwish in some ways.

I can't believe I guessed correctly, had I known 425 was sending Kamelot, I wouldn't have guessed this to be mine. But it makes sense that you would say that, NW and SA started at about the same time, they met at the very beginning when they were signed to the same label and became friends and toured together many times. There was definitely some creative cross-pollination happening there, and it still happens sometimes that they put out a NW-influenced song or two.

re: the ending of Draw Me, it's actually supposed to end at 4 minutes :lol the ending of that song on that upload is the end of the album it's on, doesn't have anything to do with the song.

Also, welcome to Iron Maiden, one of the greatest bands of all time.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:14:55 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #801 on: October 20, 2020, 07:52:56 AM »
Stadler
Iron Maiden

First impression: Good stuff overall. I think James LaBrie's singing might've been influenced by this…

Final review: Here’s a band I’m slightly familiar with. And by “familiar with”, I mean my dad used to listen to a few of their songs (off the top of my head, those included 2 Minutes to Midnight, Run to the Hills, The Trooper, and I think one or two others).

:facepalm: ;D

The other two songs were quite a bit different than I expected, though. “Isle of Avalon” almost reminds me of Rush in a way. In any case, it’s a lot less heavy than I would expect. And then there’s “Journeyman”, which is even softer; it feels more or less like a ballad! This one is actually my favorite of the three. For some reason, the chorus really speaks to me. “I know what I want, I’ll say what I want, and no one can take it away…” All things considered, I enjoyed this band more than I expected to.

Hey TAC, SUCK IT!  I don't always send the worst songs!   :) :) :) 

Just most of the time.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #802 on: October 20, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »
Moonsorrow.........  :(

Or Wilderun :(

Suspense! Which of these could it be...   unless it's something else?! We'll just have to see once the last of my results FINALLY come out

I do get not liking NeO but these two songs, and Plague especially, I don't know if I remember any boring moments.

I think it's moreso that I find that the harsh vocals boring, and whenever those vocals are present, there's generally nothing particularly interesting going on in the background.

Well, this ought to be interesting if everything is going to be compared against Dream Theater and the other 5 banned artists!   :lol

Guess I was wrong... everything's gonna be compared to Nightwish.   :lol

:lol I can't wait for Round 3 where I unintentionally compare every submission to East of the Wall or something.

I can't believe I guessed correctly, had I known 425 was sending Kamelot, I wouldn't have guessed this to be mine. But it makes sense that you would say that, NW and SA started at about the same time, they met at the very beginning when they were signed to the same label and became friends and toured together many times. There was definitely some creative cross-pollination happening there, and it still happens sometimes that they put out a NW-influenced song or two.
Well, that makes their similarity to each other make so much more sense!

Stadler
Iron Maiden

Final review: Here’s a band I’m slightly familiar with. And by “familiar with”, I mean my dad used to listen to a few of their songs (off the top of my head, those included 2 Minutes to Midnight, Run to the Hills, The Trooper, and I think one or two others).

:facepalm: ;D

Oh, what's the facepalm for? I'm guessing you're disappointed he only knows a few songs as opposed to their whole discography?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #803 on: October 20, 2020, 08:47:21 AM »
No.  Because I'm OLD.   :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #804 on: October 20, 2020, 09:47:49 AM »
I almost had to do a spit take at someone liking FNC more than White Pearl or Draw Me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"