Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 60972 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Not much to conceal (R2 Hangman)
« Reply #735 on: October 13, 2020, 12:00:59 PM »
I'd definitely swap Anthrax out for Testament for my Big 4

Online HOF

« Reply #736 on: October 13, 2020, 12:30:17 PM »
I wouldn’t willingly, but if I had to listen to one of the “big 4” of speed metal I’d probably choose Anthrax.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #737 on: October 13, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
I guess I can kinda understand why some don't like them but they were pretty influential on my tastes as I was getting into metal. Slayer write more about death, war and anti-religion than anything satanic. I also love Tom Araya's voice, it's really distinctive and some of his live performances are just amazing. I think they have the perception of being this controversial satanic band, but there's more to them than that. I've heard a lot of criticism aimed at them over their simple riffs and their solos, but I'm not a guitar player so that doesn't mean much to me. I just want to head bang when I listen to them. Finally, they were one of those great bands (with their classic line up) where every member was the 'star', they were all such big personalities. I could go on  :heart :heart :heart

There used to be an internet radio show called "Used Bin Radio" - at least one of the guys used to post over at Mike's place a lot - and I listened religiously.  One of the guys - I think it was Joe - used to sing the circus theme (The Entry Of The Gladiators) every time the topic of a Slayer guitar solo came up, and while that was hyperbole, it was sort of spot on.  It just seems so one-note and such a caricature.   It doesn't help that I'm not the hugest fan of Kerry King. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #738 on: October 13, 2020, 01:31:21 PM »
If one video has the power to change people's minds on Slayer it is this...

https://youtu.be/FjLhLgdhzMQ

Behold, the Wham/Slayer mash up, Careless in the Abyss  :lol

I should definitely send this in a roulette

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #739 on: October 13, 2020, 04:56:13 PM »
I've seen that before, and it is glorious!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #740 on: October 14, 2020, 03:56:04 AM »
Status update: I will admit that my progress on scoring the submissions is going rather slowly, but at the same time I do prefer this over the alternative where I'm constantly burning myself out. I think by Round 3 or 4, I might've stopped caring about this altogether if I forced myself to stay on a very specific schedule.

Having said that, though, I plan on getting back on track now, and hopefully all the results should be out by this weekend.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: October 14, 2020, 04:23:17 AM »
That's understandable. You have tons of music to listen to and it is pretty easy to be burnt out. Besides, you've seen how easily people get distracted talking about other topics while waiting  :lol

By the way, I haven't seen any top 10 thrash metal bands lists yet...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #742 on: October 14, 2020, 04:59:12 AM »

TOP 10 THRASH METAL BANDS LIST:

1. I dunno, I don't really listen to thrash metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #743 on: October 14, 2020, 05:09:22 AM »
Two weeks per round is a more than acceptable rate.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #744 on: October 14, 2020, 05:21:16 AM »

Before, I'd been using the beginning of the Song Roulette Tracker thread as a guideline, so that was partially why I wanted to stick with the schedule I had in mind. I think running this roulette has been a big learning experience for me regarding how I should run it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #745 on: October 14, 2020, 05:22:57 AM »

Especially with a round as big as this! In my roulette I'm pretty sure I always went over a week, even when I had like 8 songs to listen to  :lol

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #746 on: October 14, 2020, 05:30:00 AM »

Especially with a round as big as this! In my roulette I'm pretty sure I always went over a week, even when I had like 8 songs to listen to  :lol

I do like the way this roulette is, but if I ever do another one, it's going to have a lot more limitations as to make things a lot easier. As you said, this round is really big. I think in terms of the time length, it's even longer than Round 1! I've probably mentioned this before, but ultimately I think this was just a result of me not expecting so many people to join. Honestly, I was expecting around eight people at most to sign up for this thing!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #747 on: October 14, 2020, 06:12:42 AM »
Status update: I will admit that my progress on scoring the submissions is going rather slowly, but at the same time I do prefer this over the alternative where I'm constantly burning myself out. I think by Round 3 or 4, I might've stopped caring about this altogether if I forced myself to stay on a very specific schedule.

Having said that, though, I plan on getting back on track now, and hopefully all the results should be out by this weekend.

Ariich:

That's cuz there aren't even 5 good thrash metal bands. :neverusethis:  Honestly though, thrash metal - classic or whatever the genre is broken down into nowadays - absolutely sucks (for my tastes)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: October 14, 2020, 06:31:40 AM »
Honestly, I was expecting around eight people at most to sign up for this thing!
Rookie mistake  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: October 14, 2020, 08:47:40 AM »
Pretty much everyone signs up if someone decides to run their first roulette. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #750 on: October 14, 2020, 08:52:21 AM »
Roulettes have gotten a lot more popular over the last few years too. There's less people running them (in the early-mid 2010s you'd usually ask to get put on the waitlist then have to wait like, half a year at the least before you finally get to go) but now you'll get like 12-14 people signing up at least, as opposed to like 8 or so back in the day.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: October 14, 2020, 09:04:23 AM »
Roulettes have gotten a lot more popular over the last few years too. There's less people running them (in the early-mid 2010s you'd usually ask to get put on the waitlist then have to wait like, half a year at the least before you finally get to go) but now you'll get like 12-14 people signing up at least, as opposed to like 8 or so back in the day.

Largely a function of the fact that many of us have run 3 or more Roulettes.  Not too many new members here, so the balance of hosts / players is heavily skewed to the latter.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline 425

« Reply #752 on: October 14, 2020, 10:07:13 AM »

That's cuz there aren't even 5 good thrash metal bands. :neverusethis:  Honestly though, thrash metal - classic or whatever the genre is broken down into nowadays - absolutely sucks (for my tastes)

Yeah, this. The whole conceit of "let's always play super fast and be angry and not have much melody" is not really a recipe for much interesting music. It was a little bit interesting to me when I was 15 and angry at the world, but even then I never went much farther than Metallica and Megadeth, neither of which, as I've already said, really played purely thrash, in my opinion.

Now that I'm a fair bit older with a much different outlook? There's not really much there for me. I still like Metallica a lot, though their thrash material is among my least favorite, and I still hold Rust in Peace in high esteem, though I rarely listen to it. And that's it. Give me prog metal, power metal, neo-prog, the so-called DTF fogey music (side comment: I think I might even be an underrated contender for most fogey-esque non-fogey here) any day.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #753 on: October 16, 2020, 05:31:59 PM »
It'll still be a while before I get all the songs scored and ready for review (three bands have had me hooked!), and currently I have about half of the submissions scored.
But I figured I should give a little update beyond that... so I'll drop a little bombshell on you guys.

"First impression: I'm sorry, but if I gave my first impressions, I'd give away which submission I'm talking about."

True first impression: 4/10? More like 9/10.

I won't elaborate any further until the review.  ;)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: October 16, 2020, 05:38:52 PM »
Ah, so you really liked East Of The Wall :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #755 on: October 16, 2020, 05:43:27 PM »
this is how i submitted them so, yeah  :rollin

Round 2: btw this is my favorite album of all time give me that sweet 4/10
East of the Wall - Playlist

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #756 on: October 16, 2020, 07:06:56 PM »
you should give it a 3.5 :neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #757 on: October 17, 2020, 02:40:40 AM »
Nah, that East of the Wall album is great
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #758 on: October 17, 2020, 06:55:44 AM »
Results 1/3 coming soon...
It'll almost certainly be until at least tomorrow to get all three parts out, but I've got enough ratings to get some reviews made now.

Offline Revenge319

Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Bound to go awry? (R2 results 1/3)
« Reply #759 on: October 17, 2020, 09:36:50 AM »
Here it is, the first third of the Round 2 results!

Lethean
Leprous

First impression: A much better experience than the last time I tried to listen to these guys.

Final review: A pattern you’ll notice this round is that a few artists I’ve been sent are ones I have listened to before. One of these artists is Leprous. I’d heard of them quite a bit before, so one day I decided to give their album Coal a shot. And overall, I thought it was… mediocre. There were a couple songs I did enjoy, but the rest wasn’t very interesting, and the final song “Contaminate Me” was dreadful. So upon getting this as a submission, I was interested to see if their other stuff was better, and I’m happy to say that this is an improvement! “Forced Entry” and “The Price” are very enjoyable, with my favorite parts usually revolving around the keyboards. “Below” isn’t quite as interesting, but it’s still a good song, and it has a really good vocal performance. I’m glad to know that Coal was seemingly a one-time thing with Leprous, because that’s an album that I don’t know if I’ll ever grow to enjoy. I’m interested in checking out Bilateral and The Congregation, at the very least.

Forced Entry - 8.5/10
The Price - 8.5/10
Below - 7.5/10

Roulette score: 8.2

---------------------------

Buddyhunter1
David Maxim Micic

First impression: I like 'em, even if there's occasionally some questionable decisions made with these songs.

Final review: Considering my previous submission from Buddyhunter1 was Devin Townsend, I wouldn’t be surprised if this was sent because it has some vague similarities to Devin Townsend. The main difference is that with David Maxim Micic here, the style of music is less easily describable. In “Where Is Now?”, for instance, it kinda has this mix of a pop/electronic and rock aesthetic, but then a little over halfway through, it’s more metal with some occasional horn instruments in the background (which is easily the best part of the song), followed by this guitar solo that goes through one or two stylistic changes. I thought this was really well-done, and I’m guessing this is generally what goes on with this artist, but… I can’t say it works as well as it did in the other two songs I was sent. “Daydreamers” is good, but I feel like it goes on longer than it needs to. That’s mainly because of this section where it gets quiet and the female singer makes what I can only describe as “baby noises”. It might’ve been fine if it was just a short little thing, but this section goes on for about a third of the song. “Devise” is a pretty good song, too, but there’s this part towards the end where they just turn up the bass for no reason and the song eventually becomes this almost intangible mess. But overall, despite some odd issues here and there, there’s a lot of good and interesting ideas from this artist!

Where Is Now? - 8.75/10
Daydreamers - 7.75/10
Devise - 7.5/10

Roulette score: 8.0

Nekov
Alcest

First impression: Sounds nice, although I don't know what to think of it beyond that.

Final review: I have to be honest, my thoughts haven’t really changed with this one. I think this might be a case similar to how I felt with The Ocean, where I know I enjoy it on some level, but I don’t know how I feel more specifically than that. And also similarly to The Ocean, I think I need to devote a lot more time to this to really “get” it. What can I say, then? It sounds very pleasant to listen to. It’s kind of atmospheric, and there’s a sort of uplifting feeling to the music. But it all just seems so “vague” if that makes any sense. It’s hard to remember anything about the songs after I’m done listening to them. For now, though, I was able to at least give them a score I’m satisfied with, even if they may end up inaccurate one day.

Les Voyages De L' me - 7/10
Summer’s Glory  - 8/10
Percées De Lumière - 7/10
Opale - 7.5/10

Roulette score: 7.4

Evermind
Avantasia

First impression: Some rather good, somewhat grandiose music.

Final review: Going in, I was kind of expecting music similar to Nightwish, though maybe that was just from looking at their name. “Avantasia” sounds like the name of a band who does symphonic grandiose metal. They do have grandiose moments occasionally, but they’re certainly different from Nightwish. Anyway, onto my thoughts on the music… Okay, if any of you seem disappointed in my reviews of your submissions, as though I hadn’t given them enough time to really understand them… I pin the blame not on myself, but on the song known as “Twisted Mind”. This song right here… Remember how I was teasing that there was one specific song that was slowing down my Round 2 progress and was one of the best songs in the entire roulette so far? Yeah, that’s Twisted Mind. It is so good that for a few days, every time I made an attempt to get through the rest of my Round 2 playlist that I hadn’t listened to more than once, I saw this song and I felt so strongly compelled to listen to it again and again and again. I’m still unsure if it’s better than The Poet and the Pendulum, but at this point I think it’d be more accurate to phrase that as “I’m unsure if The Poet and the Pendulum is better than Twisted Mind”. Epic opening, ominous vocals (that vaguely remind me of Neal Morse’s singing for some reason), AMAZING CHORUS, amazing everything, really.

...Oh, right, there’s some other songs here, too. They’re really good as well, actually, though not on the same level as Twisted Mind. “The Scarecrow” is a rather grand epic, and “The Story Ain’t Over” is a simpler song but quite pleasant to listen to. As a whole, Avantasia is very good, but Twisted Mind is particularly amazing. Basically guaranteed to be the best Round 2 song, unless there ends up being a song that I end up realizing is actually even better than Twisted Mind. I guess we shall see…

Twisted Mind - 9.5/10
The Scarecrow - 8.75/10
Lucifer - 8/10
The Story Ain’t Over - 8.25/10

Roulette score: 8.6

twosuitsluke
The Dear Hunter

First impression: Overall, this is pretty enjoyable stuff!

Final review: This is another one of those bands that I started hearing about a lot when I started using DTF, and as such I was expecting them to be sent in this roulette. And I’ll just say, this is perhaps the best band sent in this round (the other contender, I’ll get to shortly). I really like the style this band goes for. To be honest, the best way I can describe this (at least as far as these four songs go) is if Haken combined their sounds from Visions and The Mountain and used that to create music in the style of Dream Theater’s The Astonishing. There’s a lot of symphonic elements and it works so, so well. “The March” and “A Night on the Town” are the best examples of their symphonic side, but they also have some more dramatic moments, and in that way it reminds me of The Astonishing to some extent. “Home” has this very uplifting mood, and it reminds me of something like “A Life Left Behind” or “Begin Again” despite the styles being very different from one another. I also think 2:33 sounds quite similar to the “As their bodies lie still…” section from “Finally Free”. The only somewhat weak song here is “Red Hands”. It’s actually a pretty good song, I’d say, there’s just this one annoying part in the second half of the song; I would’ve enjoyed this a lot more without that “Now my darling, put your clothes back on” part. I know what the story is about and all, but it’s still kind of annoying. But aside from that, I’d say The Dear Hunter is a great band just based on these four songs alone!

The March - 8.75
A Night on the Town - 9
Home - 9
Red Hands - 7.75

Roulette score: 8.6

It’s time for the moment you’ve been waiting for.         ...Well, surely at least someone here has been anticipating my thoughts on this one, right?

Cyril
East of the Wall

First Impression: 4/10? More like 9/10.

Final review: I like to think that (even though I don’t interact with people here much outside of this roulette) I’ve browsed many threads on here to the point where I know a lot about what goes on around DTF. And one thing I discovered was that Cyril’s favorite album was East of the Wall’s The Apologist. The moment I saw Cyril join my roulette, I knew I was going to be sent The Apologist at some point or another. And I waited with great anticipation for Round 2, to uncover the truth. Would it be mediocre and strange like some comments had led me to believe? Or would it turn out that it’s really good?

My answer? Cyril, at this rate, you need to change your personal text to “Holy Guide of the 9/10”, because you have impressed me with The Hirsch Effekt, and you have impressed me greater with East of the Wall. The more I listen to the songs on The Apologist, the better they get. I did think the harsh vocals were a bit odd at first, but they’ve really grown on me; it often feels like there’s a lot of emotion in these vocals. The soft vocals are very good, as well. The music is heavy and aggressive, but there’s about an equal amount of instances where it’s melodic and mellow. Since there’s technically seven songs here, it makes it a bit tricky to decide on my favorite of the seven, but I think at the moment I’m enjoying “Linear Failure” and “False Build” the most, but the other songs are also very good. After this round, I plan on listening to this album in full, and then after that I will probably make it a plan to purchase the CD for this album at some point. Like I said, these songs are just getting better and better with every listen. If The Dear Hunter isn’t the best Round 2 submission, it’s East of the Wall. I don’t think I would’ve guessed that I would enjoy this as much as I do, but I’m certainly glad I do enjoy it.

Naif/Linear Failure/My Favorite Society Guy - 9/10
False Build - 9/10
The Apologist/Running Tab of Sweetness/Horseback Riding in a Bicycle World - 9/10

Roulette score: 9.0

The next two parts will probably take longer to come out, but hopefully I won’t keep you guys waiting for too long!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #760 on: October 17, 2020, 09:51:12 AM »
Glad you enjoyed Leprous enough to explore them further. Coal is one of my favorites (actually listening to it now :)) but all of their albums are different maybe the others will be more to your liking.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: October 17, 2020, 10:21:40 AM »
Interesting that Twisted Mind was *the* song.  It's a good song, but rarely regarded as Avantasia's best.  Enjoy that ride, Revenge.  One of the best DTF recc'ns I've received in 10+ years being here.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #762 on: October 17, 2020, 10:50:32 AM »
Yeah seems odd that Twisted Mind scored so well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: October 17, 2020, 11:31:03 AM »
Wow okay. I think Twisted Mind is perhaps the weakest of the bunch, or maybe that's The Story Ain't Over. :lol I just picked it because of how well it works in duo with The Scarecrow.

Good to know you liked it at least, welcome on board for the Avantasia train!

Offline 425

« Reply #764 on: October 17, 2020, 11:34:37 AM »
Yeah, I like Twisted Mind pretty well, but The Scarecrow is the giant among those tracks (and really in the whole Avantasia discography).

However, I'll take it as a hopeful sign for me that Revenge like the vocals so much, since it sounds like he particularly enjoyed Roy Khan...
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #765 on: October 17, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
:2metal:

time to piss it away with my later round submissions  :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: October 17, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »
Yeah, I like Twisted Mind pretty well, but The Scarecrow is the giant among those tracks (and really in the whole Avantasia discography).

I said in my PM that The Scarecrow was one of my favourite songs of all time.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #767 on: October 17, 2020, 12:10:20 PM »
:2metal:

time to piss it away with my later round submissions  :lol

I remember you mentioning you were worried about Round 3 and beyond, so I'm more interested than ever to find out what I'll think of the rest of your submissions.

Wow okay. I think Twisted Mind is perhaps the weakest of the bunch, or maybe that's The Story Ain't Over. :lol I just picked it because of how well it works in duo with The Scarecrow.

Good to know you liked it at least, welcome on board for the Avantasia train!

I figured my reveal that Twisted Mind was my favorite of Round 2 would surprise people to some extent. Seeing as I thought The Scarecrow was also very good, I definitely want to check out that whole album now. Also, between this and Beyond the Bridge, your submissions so far have been excellent!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #768 on: October 17, 2020, 12:23:30 PM »
Glad you liked The Dear Hunter. They are far and away the best band I have discovered via DTF. I too find all the orchestral/symphonic elements enhance the music and make it so special. This was a more integral part of Acts IV &V, and I think this is where the band really put out their best output.

I'll be honest, I knew I was taking a bit of a gamble with Red Hands. On one hand it has the vocally emotional (which seems to be important to you) ending with the "BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BE CAUGHT RED HANDED IF YOU'RE NOT RED HANDED" part, but it also has lyrically sexual themes, which you stated were a turn off. I hoped the end would be enough to get past the subject matter.

Fair play Parama, your flogging of East of the Wall is paying off. I'm a big fan of The Hirsch Effekt (although I would have sent different songs) and I suppose East of the Wall is ok. Smashing it dude!

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #769 on: October 17, 2020, 12:36:02 PM »
I'll be honest, I knew I was taking a bit of a gamble with Red Hands. On one hand it has the vocally emotional (which seems to be important to you) ending with the "BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BE CAUGHT RED HANDED IF YOU'RE NOT RED HANDED" part, but it also has lyrically sexual themes, which you stated were a turn off. I hoped the end would be enough to get past the subject matter.

I think Red Hands is a good song overall, and the lyrical themes don't bother me too much. It's just that one chorus that I don't like, the rest of the song is quite good.