Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 61887 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: A good impression (R1 Hangman)
« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2020, 11:37:11 PM »
I'm not even sure what the "relatively obscure" artists would be this round, tbh. :lol

I want to say UFO but that might just be me not being old enough.

Of the artists sent this round, I'd say the "relatively obscure" ones are Alter Bridge, Beyond the Bridge, The Hirsch Effekt, Katatonia, Amorphis, and UFO. That's just because I've rarely/never heard about these bands before this roulette.

Ehhh, I honestly don't blame you for that.  Unless you follow wrestling 10-15 years ago or follow Slash's solo band, you probably wouldn't know them.  They rarely get plays on Sirius XM Octane (which is supposed to be the go-to station for a band like them to get radio airplay) unlike their more well-known contemporaries (which I won't list here since it may be a future submission).  The band, that 3/4ths of the guys used to be in, had their popularity peak roughly 2-3 years before you were born.

Honestly, I'm quite amazed how this band is still alive and relatively surviving well for 16 years, when many other alt metal/nu-metal/post-grunge bands that started around the 2000s seemed to fade to obscurity.  I'm still amazed on how I'm still a big fan of theirs for 13 of those years when many bands I've discovered back then, I don't like as much now.

It is quite astounding to be fair. Just for the record, I prefer Creed as well, so shoot me  :rollin

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #316 on: October 02, 2020, 02:21:21 AM »
Still a couple days away from the results. As I mentioned, I'll be scoring each song on a scale of 1 to 10, with quarter increments, so I thought now would be as good a time as any to mention what each number represents, exactly:

10 - Perfect. Or at least so close to perfection that the difference is basically negligible. It's possible to go higher than 10, in a way, but that will be explained if such an event occurs.
9 - Amazing. Not quite perfection, but it's a very impressive and admirable effort nonetheless.
8 - Great. It might have minor flaws, or perhaps it's simply not the greatest thing ever, but this is definitely an above-average song.
7 - Good. More or less enjoyable from start to finish.
6 - Decent. Not bad by any means, but it's either held back by some kind of flaw or simply isn't anything all that impressive.
5 - Mediocre. I wouldn't necessarily call it bad, but it's quite underwhelming and most likely has some issues.
4 - Bad. Not the worst thing in the world, of course, but it's bad enough that I'd call it... well, bad.
3 - Awful. Even if there's something to enjoy here, everything else about the song is so poor that it's a waste.
2 - Terrible. The song in question is so irritating and/or is of such a poor quality that it bothers me.
1 - Abysmal. I think it speaks for itself, really; this is utterly horrendous on every single level, and bluntly, my life would probably be inherently better if I never listened to it.
It's possible to score lower than a 1, in which case I wouldn't be sure whether to be more shocked that a song so bad can actually exist, or that I actually bothered to listen to it for sake of review.

Unless you're intentionally trying to send me the worst things ever, I highly doubt I'll end up scoring a song below a 3/10. I can at least say that no one song in Round 1 is anywhere close to being that bad.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #317 on: October 02, 2020, 02:43:48 AM »
Unless you're intentionally trying to send me the worst things ever, I highly doubt I'll end up scoring a song below a 3/10. I can at least say that no one song in Round 1 is anywhere close to being that bad.
ahh, a challenge  :corn

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #318 on: October 02, 2020, 03:17:39 AM »
Honestly, I'm quite amazed how this band is still alive and relatively surviving well for 16 years, when many other alt metal/nu-metal/post-grunge bands that started around the 2000s seemed to fade to obscurity.
Not a big mystery, it's because they are actually good  :corn I mean, sure, before Fortress (which has a timeless quality to it), those albums definitely bear a mark of the time they were made in, but they don't feel manufactured or pushed into a genre hole.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #319 on: October 02, 2020, 04:51:21 AM »
I tried Chroma Key a long time ago.  10lbs of meh in a 5lb bucket.
I'd call you 300lb of bad takes for this, but I can't even do that because you look good  :censored

and it would be rude to insult such an old man anyway

You know you love my takes.  BTW, when are YOU running that roulette you said you would?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #320 on: October 02, 2020, 06:03:15 AM »
BTW, when are YOU running that roulette you said you would?
When I get exactly two more seconds of free time per day, which would allow me to finish it somewhere in the next century  :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: October 02, 2020, 11:21:32 AM »
BTW, when are YOU running that roulette you said you would?
When I get exactly two more seconds of free time per day, which would allow me to finish it somewhere in the next century  :rollin

You have access to the same 24 hours in a day that the rest of humanity does.   :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #322 on: October 02, 2020, 11:31:08 AM »
My dad doesn't know what day or time it his. To him it could be a 27 hour day.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #323 on: October 03, 2020, 02:37:50 AM »
Admittedly, I am somewhat behind on giving my final ratings for each artist/song. But I've got a whole day tomorrow (or today, it's already Saturday in my timezone), so I will do my best to get the rest of these ratings finished so I can get the results out on Sunday. I've gotten through 8 artists' ratings thus far, so that leaves me with 11 more.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: October 03, 2020, 05:40:45 AM »
Don't sweat it! You have a lot of music to listen to and that takes times. You should also never be too efficient in the first round. Otherwise we'll expect the same from the next rounds and we'll be a pain in the ass when you take too much time  ;D
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: October 03, 2020, 05:52:28 AM »
Don't sweat it! You have a lot of music to listen to and that takes times. You should also never be too efficient in the first round. Otherwise we'll expect the same from the next rounds and we'll be a pain in the ass when you take too much time  ;D

:iagree:

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #326 on: October 03, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »
You're going fast for how much music you have to listen to. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #327 on: October 03, 2020, 04:51:15 PM »
Seeing as Led Zeppelin is one of the bands for Round 1 of this roulette, I thought it'd be related enough to this thread to share a little story. If nothing else, I think jingle.boy might be interested to hear about this.

Earlier today, I was riding with my dad to a supermarket, and because he forgot his phone, he just turned on the radio. And at some point... Led Zeppelin came on. It wasn't one of the songs in my submission (I don't know what song it was called, though), but anyway, my dad started groaning and complained about how much he hates Led Zeppelin. I just stayed quiet, though he did ask if I've heard them before. I pretended that I'd never heard them before, though, and then my dad went on to talk about how the band should've been "put on trial for war crimes" or something.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #328 on: October 03, 2020, 04:58:49 PM »
...is your dad okay???

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #329 on: October 03, 2020, 05:05:12 PM »
...is your dad okay???

If you're talking about that last part, he was just saying that as a joke. My dad's perfectly fine, he just likes to rant about stuff he doesn't like.

Online HOF

« Reply #330 on: October 03, 2020, 05:23:12 PM »
I’ve never really liked Led Zeppelin either to be honest.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: October 03, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »
Hey Revenge, how old is your father?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #332 on: October 03, 2020, 05:40:15 PM »
I believe he is 44.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: October 03, 2020, 05:40:56 PM »

What turned you off on them HOF?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #334 on: October 03, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »
I believe he is 44.

Wow! Kingshmegland had a beard by the time your father was born.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #335 on: October 03, 2020, 05:45:44 PM »

What turned you off on them HOF?

Partly just too much classic rock radio growing up. Partly because they were the “cool” band everyone was supposed to like just because. Partly because they are too bluesy maybe. Don’t get me wrong, I like a few of their songs just fine and get their place in rock history. I just have never been all that moved by their music.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: October 03, 2020, 05:48:58 PM »
I know I just asked Revenge, but HOF how old are you? How much was classic rock part of your upbringing?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: October 03, 2020, 05:53:01 PM »
Completely understand. 

Online HOF

« Reply #338 on: October 03, 2020, 06:10:59 PM »
I know I just asked Revenge, but HOF how old are you? How much was classic rock part of your upbringing?

I’m a few years younger than Revenge’s dad. Not old enough to be his dad, but maybe the cool younger uncle. ;-)

I spent pretty much the duration of the 90s listening to a mix of classic rock and alternative rock radio. I would say I listened to it more than the average kid my age due to some of the way I was raised (I had a lot of time at home and a lot of freedom to listen to whatever from a young age). I also had two older brothers who were fans, so that added a bit to the over kill.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #339 on: October 03, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »
I grew up hearing Led Zeppelin on the radio constantly. But they've never been a favorite of mine either. I think they are a great band, but I could never really relate to Robert Plant.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: October 03, 2020, 06:26:39 PM »
...is your dad okay???

If you're talking about that last part, he was just saying that as a joke. My dad's perfectly fine, he just likes to rant about stuff he doesn't like.

I beg to differ!!!

And to the rest of you .... TASTESTM!!  Some of you know my story about them.  They are and always will be my favorite band, and the one that had the biggest impact of anything (beyond my wife and children) in my life.  Everyone has *that* band.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #341 on: October 03, 2020, 06:29:41 PM »
...is your dad okay???

I beg to differ!!!

And to the rest of you .... TASTESTM!!  Some of you know my story about them.  They are and always will be my favorite band, and the one that had the biggest impact of anything (beyond my wife and children) in my life.  Everyone has *that* band.
Yep! And for me it was Rush!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #342 on: October 03, 2020, 06:29:56 PM »
...is your dad okay???

Some of you know my story about them.  They are and always will be my favorite band, and the one that had the biggest impact of anything (beyond my wife and children) in my life.  Everyone has *that* band.

Revenge, you'll really hurt my feelings if I get a bad score.

;D

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #343 on: October 03, 2020, 06:35:24 PM »
I grew up hearing Led Zeppelin on the radio constantly. But they've never been a favorite of mine either. I think they are a great band, but I could never really relate to Robert Plant.

Well, it's not anyone can actually relate to Robert Plant in the 1970s in any time period.  The man had one of the biggest larger-than-life package in his prime.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: October 03, 2020, 06:37:34 PM »
...is your dad okay???

Some of you know my story about them.  They are and always will be my favorite band, and the one that had the biggest impact of anything (beyond my wife and children) in my life.  Everyone has *that* band.

Revenge, you'll really hurt my feelings if I get a bad score.

;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: October 03, 2020, 06:40:55 PM »
Tim asked us to post these bands then he Hope's for your demise Chad. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: October 03, 2020, 07:01:59 PM »
Tim asked us to post these bands then he Hope's for your demise Chad. :lol

It was Chad's idea, fool!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: October 03, 2020, 07:27:45 PM »
You went with it and laughed like an evil curmudgeon. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #348 on: October 03, 2020, 07:43:33 PM »
You went with it and laughed like an evil curmudgeon.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: October 03, 2020, 07:47:20 PM »
You know it, and I know it. Lol