Author Topic: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: Love list complete! (FINAL RESULTS)  (Read 61862 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Revenge319's relatively normal roulette: A good impression (R1 Hangman)
« Reply #280 on: October 01, 2020, 09:17:13 AM »
I tried Chroma Key a long time ago.  10lbs of meh in a 5lb bucket.

You are high as a kite.

Thought the same of you Mr. Music Hottakes. :lol

Ya'll can't touch this  :hat

Challenge excepted!  Call me, Mr. Grabby Hands!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #281 on: October 01, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »

@ Stads... is it one of the Alter Bridge songs?

One of the AB songs is definitely one of the 10's, but not the all time favorite musical moment.  Oh, and I didn't even notice Nightwish was on the list, so add at least one 10 there, too.  My god.

The Hirsch Effekt, amirite?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #282 on: October 01, 2020, 09:19:11 AM »

You are high as a kite.

Thought the same of you Mr. Music Hottakes. :lol

Ya'll can't touch this  :hat

Challenge excepted!  Call me, Mr. Grabby Hands!

President King!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #283 on: October 01, 2020, 09:31:44 AM »

@ Stads... is it one of the Alter Bridge songs?

One of the AB songs is definitely one of the 10's, but not the all time favorite musical moment.  Oh, and I didn't even notice Nightwish was on the list, so add at least one 10 there, too.  My god.

The Hirsch Effekt, amirite?

Ah, no.  (Though I like Cotard)  :)

Hint: there's a connection between the screen name of the submitter and the high point of the song (for me).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #284 on: October 01, 2020, 09:38:17 AM »
One of the Marillion tracks, then?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: October 01, 2020, 09:49:30 AM »

HAHA, no.   Older (the music, not the submitter).  (And this might give it away, but "Marillion" might also be a hint.)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #286 on: October 01, 2020, 09:59:35 AM »
No shit, this might actually be the strongest roulette round I've ever participated in, EVER.  My tastes of course, but holy mackerel, there are easily 10 songs I'd put at 9.5/10, not counting any of mine, and if the version is correct, my favorite piece of recorded music EVER is on that list (I didn't send it).   

I'm in last place again, aren't I?    :) :) :)

I'm getting to the song ratings, and I think there's at least a couple that will get a rating as high as a 9.5. I don't know what the other four rounds will give me, but I agree with this being quite a strong round overall!

As for that last part... All I'll say on that, is that it's going to be tricky to properly rank each submission.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #287 on: October 01, 2020, 10:10:44 AM »

HAHA, no.   Older (the music, not the submitter).  (And this might give it away, but "Marillion" might also be a hint.)

Journey - Trial of Fire
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #288 on: October 01, 2020, 10:12:09 AM »
This I will say for certain, it's all going to go downhill from here for me.  Either I send you some modern post-grunge/alt metal stuff or I may go off the deep end and send you some JRock/JPop (the good kind, not the way-too high pitched overproduced kind).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: October 01, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »

Journey - Trial of Fire

Not being smart, just want to follow your thinking... what's the Marillion connection?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #290 on: October 01, 2020, 10:24:25 AM »
Okay, it's a Journey song then.

The connection is in one of the Song of Ice and Fire books there's a jester called 'Marillion' who's present when someone goes on  trial. If I remember correctly it's in the first or second book, but I can't really remember the exact details and context. It's been a while since I read the books. It's a long shot, for sure :lol
Squ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: October 01, 2020, 10:32:50 AM »

The connection is in one of the Song of Ice and Fire books there's a jester called 'Marillion' who's present when someone goes on  trial. If I remember correctly it's in the first or second book, but I can't really remember the exact details and context. It's been a while since I read the books. It's a long shot, for sure :lol

Huh.  That ain't it, but I sort of want it to be, since that's a boss answer!   :)   

It's not Journey, but one of their songs (Mother, Father) would get a 10 from me.

One more hint:  the part that is the high point for me isn't actually the titled song. 

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #292 on: October 01, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »

Huh.  That ain't it, but I sort of want it to be, since that's a boss answer!   :)   

It's not Journey, but one of their songs (Mother, Father) would get a 10 from me.

One more hint:  the part that is the high point for me isn't actually the titled song.

I wouldn't know for sure, but I have a feeling it may be a Rush song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: October 01, 2020, 10:56:29 AM »
And I hope you feel the same Revenge. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline HOF

« Reply #294 on: October 01, 2020, 12:11:07 PM »

I’m guessing it’s Afterglow or some part of that Genesis medley.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: October 01, 2020, 12:17:28 PM »

I’m guessing it’s Afterglow or some part of that Genesis medley.

Boom.   The In The Cage/Afterglow Medley - particularly the medley portion (thus the title hint) - from Three Sides Live is hands down my favorite musical passage.   With Phil and Chester on double drums (thus the "RomDRUMS" hint) and Tony's soloing.....    I may need a minute.    And we all know that Marillion was accused early on of being a Genesis clone (thus that hint).   

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #296 on: October 01, 2020, 03:47:52 PM »
I'd call you 300lb of bad takes for this, but I can't even do that because you look good  :censored

and it would be rude to insult such an old man anyway

The connection is in one of the Song of Ice and Fire books there's a jester called 'Marillion'
Trivia: George Martin hates being asked about the name, because he says he hadn't heard about the band when he named the character but everyone assumes there is a connection and when they ask him deep Marillion questions and make song puns, fans drive him nuts.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #297 on: October 01, 2020, 03:49:05 PM »
I'd call you 300lb of bad takes for this, but I can't even do that because you look good  :censored

and it would be rude to insult such an old man anyway

:rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: October 01, 2020, 03:52:57 PM »
I'd laugh but I'm older.  Lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #299 on: October 01, 2020, 03:58:29 PM »
Looks like cockblocking is going to be the theme of this roulette. I see 4 bands that I was planning on sending in this round alone  :lol

I think Round Two is going to be even more of the same.  I’m actually surprised at the bands that weren’t used!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #300 on: October 01, 2020, 04:38:35 PM »
Looks like cockblocking is going to be the theme of this roulette. I see 4 bands that I was planning on sending in this round alone  :lol

I think Round Two is going to be even more of the same.  I’m actually surprised at the bands that weren’t used!

Same here, I was expecting more of the popular artists. Not that there weren't very many, but I hadn't expected the more relatively obscure ones to show up in the first round.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #301 on: October 01, 2020, 04:46:59 PM »
Same here, I was expecting more of the popular artists. Not that there weren't very many, but I hadn't expected the more relatively obscure ones to show up in the first round.

Despite Amorphis being an all-time favorite of mine, this was the first time I actually sent them in a roulette. Previously they've either been banned or the time just wasn't right. The Ocean just released a new album so they're fresh on people's minds right now, I had them lined up for later rounds.

Generally speaking I'm mostly leaving out the most popular prog or classic rock/metal bands because other participants are likely to send them anyway. There's just so much great music!
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2020, 04:56:53 PM »

i called out 5 artists i expected to be sent round 1 in my PM to revenge and only one got used
i doubt i will be getting cockblocked on any of my submissions as i, stupidly, decided to mostly send my obscure faves nobody else likes

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #303 on: October 01, 2020, 04:59:30 PM »

I'm not even sure what the "relatively obscure" artists would be this round, tbh. :lol

I want to say UFO but that might just be me not being old enough.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #304 on: October 01, 2020, 05:03:14 PM »
I'm not even sure what the "relatively obscure" artists would be this round, tbh. :lol

Of the artists sent this round, I'd say the "relatively obscure" ones are Alter Bridge, Beyond the Bridge, The Hirsch Effekt, Katatonia, Amorphis, and UFO. That's just because I've rarely/never heard about these bands before this roulette.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: October 01, 2020, 05:11:29 PM »
Don't worry. As this Roulette goes on, you'll be saying obscure a lot.

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #306 on: October 01, 2020, 05:22:08 PM »
Don't worry. As this Roulette goes on, you'll be saying obscure a lot.

Round 5 impressions:

1. Pretty obscure artist, I like them
2. Pretty obscure artist, I kinda like them
3. Pretty obscure artist, I sort of like them
4. Pretty obscure artist, I really like them...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: October 01, 2020, 05:28:57 PM »
5. GOD WHY THIS SUCKS

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #308 on: October 01, 2020, 05:37:14 PM »
5. GOD WHY THIS SUCKS

I am most interested in your submissions. Partially because [ROUND 1 SPOILERS], but mainly because I can kind of relate to how you seem to have odd and unique tastes (and, yes, perhaps obscure as well). I probably won't even ask you to resend any future submission unless maybe I get a really bad feeling about any future rounds, just because I'm that interested to hear what stuff you've sent me.
(Just to clarify, I have not listened to any of your Round 2-5 submissions.)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #309 on: October 01, 2020, 05:59:41 PM »

Of the artists sent this round, I'd say the "relatively obscure" ones are Alter Bridge, Beyond the Bridge, The Hirsch Effekt, Katatonia, Amorphis, and UFO. That's just because I've rarely/never heard about these bands before this roulette.

Yeah that's fair. Most of us only know of The Hirsch Effekt because Cyril keeps sending them in roulettes. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #310 on: October 01, 2020, 06:12:58 PM »

Yeah that's fair. Most of us only know of The Hirsch Effekt because Cyril keeps sending them in roulettes. :lol
That's how you keep a band alive that no one seems to like (I like The Hirsch Effekt, btw). It's why I keep pimping Moonsorrow here.

Edit - Which reminds me.......BRB!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #311 on: October 01, 2020, 07:29:31 PM »
That's how you keep a band alive that no one seems to like (I like The Hirsch Effekt, btw). It's why I keep pimping Moonsorrow here.

I like Moonsorrow. :heart At least the most recent album. I'll get around to some others in the near future, probably.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #312 on: October 01, 2020, 07:47:26 PM »

I like Moonsorrow. :heart At least the most recent album. I'll get around to some others in the near future, probably.
Their most recent album is really really good, but for my their best is the run of Kivenkantaja, Verisakeet, and V: Havitetty.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: October 01, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
the hirsch effekt are really great that's why i send them to everyone

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #314 on: October 01, 2020, 11:24:52 PM »

Ehhh, I honestly don't blame you for that.  Unless you follow wrestling 10-15 years ago or follow Slash's solo band, you probably wouldn't know them.  They rarely get plays on Sirius XM Octane (which is supposed to be the go-to station for a band like them to get radio airplay) unlike their more well-known contemporaries (which I won't list here since it may be a future submission).  The band, that 3/4ths of the guys used to be in, had their popularity peak roughly 2-3 years before you were born.

Honestly, I'm quite amazed how this band is still alive and relatively surviving well for 16 years, when many other alt metal/nu-metal/post-grunge bands that started around the 2000s seemed to fade to obscurity.  I'm still amazed on how I'm still a big fan of theirs for 13 of those years when many bands I've discovered back then, I don't like as much now.